"Fable PC: Lost Chapters" 30 hours of play - WORTH IT!!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Meh, I probably should just play the dang game instead of complaining.

Cant expect modern games to be as good as my "old" favorites anyways.

Agreed. Sucks being let down by every RPG after the BG series :(

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
My gaming machine is finally finished, and I had been looking forward to getting Fable. I have about 6 hours on the clock now, and I'm loving the game. Force Push is awesome. So when my wife is home, we are playing Guild Wars, and then when I play solo, I'm playing Fable. :)

Thats my situation too. Although its either Fable or Prey at this point.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
do you not *understand* the save system?
I think I should just give up games and sit my ass down in front of a TV, they seem to piss me off more than I get enjoyment from them as of late.
q]

thats exactly the way i feel.
i'm debating on whether to get Jade Empire or not. Its definitely something I'd be interested in (martial arts, ancient chinese setting) but if its like KOTOR, then I don't want it. KOTOR bored the crap out of me.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin
like *normal games*? ... like Far Cry? ... or Giants:CK? .

I do not care about other games, only the ones I play. The vast majority of modern PC FPS and RPGs have an anytime save and thus it is "normal" to have an anytime save. The only games that I have played without an "anytime save" were FarCry and Diablo 2 (could not save your location or mob spawns, kinda like fable's heroic save on exit). I did not like either of them. Farcry's only saving grace was the amazing graphics and Diablo 2's call to fame was its multiplayer that was destroyed by the cheaters.

I'm with you Schad. When I play a pc game I want to be able to save anytime. I had problems fighting in the arena, and I'd have re fight easier opponents just to get back to where I was. That's not harder, or challenging. That just makes the game irritating to play. I've also had some pc crashes that set me back in my quest. If I could save anytime I wouldn't have been set back so far.

I want my games to be like an interactive movie. Not a time consuming slug fest where I have to replay certain areas over and over again just to move ahead. When I want challenging I play UT2k4 online. It's different every time, and I never have to play the same thing twice.

That said, I am having a great time with Fable, and other than the save system, and lack of jumping I'm very happy with it. I wish It would work in Vista for me. I can get in game, but everything freezes right away and I have to shut it down using the Windows button. As it is I need to boot to my XP partition to play the game.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Indeed, Lxskllr, Fable is turning out to be a good game and my only complaint is the saving system and a few sporadic music bugs. I did not realize that LionHead Studios is the new name for BullFrog Productions.... ahh brings back memories of Syndicate and Populas.

Anways, thank you for suggesting this game apoppin, despite its flaws, it is fun.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Indeed, Lxskllr, Fable is turning out to be a good game and my only complaint is the saving system and a few sporadic music bugs. I did not realize that LionHead Studios is the new name for BullFrog Productions.... ahh brings back memories of Syndicate and Populas.

Anways, thank you for suggesting this game apoppin, despite its flaws, it is fun.

tol'ja'so :p

:D

thanks for hanging in there ... i felt *exactly* the same way you did - including the saves ... until i played the game longer ... there is a *logic* that runs through this game

it reminds me of B&W2 ... quirky but totally *lovable*
:heart:

and i am nearly done with the extra content ... i will really miss playing this game and am really [really] looking forward to Fable II

BTW, if you run out of money you can *cheat* ...

SPOILERs AHEAD ******

just buy and resell potions ... to the same merchant where you see a *profit* you can make 100,000 with a couple hundred potions in a few minutes

and NEVER sell health or will potions ... hoard them ... having over 600 makes it so easy so you can just pay attention to the story ... i *never* lose a battle ... even with the main bosses

Certain spells are over the top and you want to put skill points into those to max them ... mya favourites include "lightening and Shield" ... multi-strike and slow-time are a *must*

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ryland
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
My gaming machine is finally finished, and I had been looking forward to getting Fable. I have about 6 hours on the clock now, and I'm loving the game. Force Push is awesome. So when my wife is home, we are playing Guild Wars, and then when I play solo, I'm playing Fable. :)

Thats my situation too. Although its either Fable or Prey at this point.

Play them BOTH ... highly recommended ...very different but *awesome* in their respective types of games ...
:thumbsup: ... :thumbsup:

and play PREY first ... it is *much* shorter than Fable ... ;)

EDIT lxskllr, IF you have trouble with the Arena you are there too soon ;)

Just return with higher stats [or keep playing it and Hero saving before you die] ... Maleficus breezed thru it ... [i kept that name - i *hated* 'Paladin' or 'Necromance']

and he's got 4 wives now ... lotsa sex ... life is *good*
:beer: :gift:
rose.gif
:heart: :wine: :music:

:laugh:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
*DONE*

love it ... even the *ending* very satisfying

*highly recommended* ... just over 35 hours ... done *everything good* [except for the "booty" ... got 6 clues and 18 of 25 Silver Keys]

Does anyone know how to "access the oracle" after the Final Boss is defeated?
... otherwise continuing seems pointless [like oblivion] ... i will reload from my First defeat of the Jack-boss with the *evil choice* to see how it goes ... can't picture starting over completely
--or do i have to look for a walkthru?

and i got Vampire Bloodlines last night .... no damn paper manual except on the CD
do i *have* to read it? :p
--latest fan-made patch ... is that everything?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
No one know how to access the oracle

i know it's Y-M-C-A ... but is it *over* after the MQ ? ... can't find any info

and i didn't like switching to "evil" at the Big Choice ... didn't feel 'natural' faltering at the last moment after being so good - although i suppose a lesser Hero would be *tempted*
-- you can get an *identical* sword to the Evil sword ... except it is 'good' for the rest of the "lost chapters"

i will probably RePlay it ... starting as the *bad little kid* and just go for the MQ

it is a *Great Story* a genuine *fable* ... and well worth playing - at least once

but i got Vampire:Bloodlines ... and thanks to Schadenfroh, i am on the 'right track'

looks great for Old Source Engine ... *everything maxed* including Soft Shadows and forced 4xAA/16AF with an AGP 7800GS OC ... i doubt i'll start *another* thread about it ... but you never know

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Well, I went to Best Buy last night hoping to get a deal on this game and was disappointed.

Canadian retailers are way behind the curve on getting PC titles to the bargain bin.

Fable is still $39.99 +taxes at BB.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Well, I went to Best Buy last night hoping to get a deal on this game and was disappointed.

Canadian retailers are way behind the curve on getting PC titles to the bargain bin.

did you actually take it up to the register?

*my* BB has it marked as $39.99 also ... they are way behind the curve on getting PC titles "actually marked" as bargain bin even though they ring up at the register at the blow-out price ;)

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004

*my* BB has it marked as $39.99 also ... they are way behind the curve on getting PC titles "actually marked" as bargain bin even though they ring up at the register at the blow-out price ;)
Good idea... next time I'm in there, I will definitely ask one of the blueshirts if the stickered price actually applies to all titles :cool:

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

Good idea... next time I'm in there, I will definitely ask one of the blueshirts if the stickered price actually applies to all titles :cool:

As apoppin stated, my box has $39.99 on it, but it rang up as $19.99. BB is bad about having the wrong price on the products, I dug through their quake 4s and found 4 different prices stuck to 4 copies, funny that.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
This game is great, and very addictive.

i guess you *found* it for $19.99

beyond addicting ... quirky weird ... and totally lovable
--and very very stable for a never-patched PC game

i'd call it the *sleeper* game of '05 ... it got a bad rap for being *short*
-i spent 30+ hours just being "good"

i am finishing up VtMB or i'd have RePlayed immediately
[talk about *buggy* ... all the crashes are left for the last Quest] :p

--and if you guys figure out how to access the Oracle *after* the MQ is completed LMK
:music:Y-M-C-A:music:, i know ... but after.

i am SO looking forward to being *BAD* ... everything changes ... the way the NPCs react to you ...
:evil:

i wonder if i can still get married?
:Q

i am planning to sacrifice them in the Temple when i get tired of the sex
:shocked:

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
This game is great, and very addictive.

i guess you *found* it for $19.99

beyond addicting ... quirky weird ... and totally lovable
--and very very stable for a never-patched PC game

i'd call it the *sleeper* game of '05 ... it got a bad rap for being *short*
-i spent 30+ hours just being "good"

i am finishing up VtMB or i'd have RePlayed immediately
[talk about *buggy* ... all the crashes are left for the last Quest] :p

--and if you guys figure out how to access the Oracle *after* the MQ is completed LMK
:music:Y-M-C-A:music:, i know ... but after.

i am SO looking forward to being *BAD* ... everything changes ... the way the NPCs react to you ...
:evil:

i wonder if i can still get married?

i am planning to sacrifice them in the Temple when i get tired of the sex
:shocked:

:thumbsup: Just resuced the moms last night from jail... finally mastered my Force Push will ability... Got a house in Oakvale and a house w/ wifey in Bowerstone South :D

So far, in about 10+ hours of playing I have only had one problem and it was a sound / music issue.

I ended up being able to borrow this from a friend so it all worked out... my character is so good he's got a halo around his head :p

I tried to play KOTOR being an evil character and I got bored... I will probably just finish this once and then move on. Then again... I don't watch movies twice either :D well... not many...

cheers for the recommendations on a GREAT game :beer: :beer: :beer:

can't wait to get home and play some more. ;)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
So far, in about 10+ hours of playing I have only had one problem and it was a sound / music issue.
Music starting and stopping randomly? I got that as well, any fix for it that you know of?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
no fix for music ... no patch at all, AFAiK

it isn't an *irritating* problem ... and in 30 hours of play, i believe i had *One* crash to desktop

in *comparison*, i finished VtMB [at 1 AM] .... and it probably crashed every 15 minutes ... 'cool' endings though as 'lone wuff' ... i will 'godmode' the other 2 or 3 endings since i can't stand to replay the final boss battles ...

... and i found out AFTER finishing it - by reading the walkthru to see what i missed [like *only two* 2 or 3 minor "poster" SQs :) ... ] -
. . . that i put the Unofficial patch in the *wrong* directory ... so i only had the last *official* patch :eek:

anyone who hasn't played Vampire: Bloodlines should pick it up it is the "Deus Ex of Vampire Games" ... and it is pretty damn awesome [until the bugs near the end ... probably the Un-official patch would make it better than my experience which wasn't that bad, bug wise]

no problems like that with Fable's endings

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Music starting and stopping randomly? I got that as well, any fix for it that you know of?
Mine was a skipping / repeating issue.... It skipped on a note and then just replayed that note over and over again until I restarted the game. What sucked was that I was in the middle of a quest and could not do a "World Save" so I just muted the volume and finished 'er up.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i didn't get that at all ... :p

music would just *stop* ... occasionally .... or not 'fit' the scene

what brand of video card?
- working on a theory
It's an ATI Radeon 9600, manufactured by "AGPtek". I don't even know if that company exists anymore :D

I should post my specs link in my sig again. heh

edit: can someone let me know if that system specs link works? thanks :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
you're a little underpowered :p

:)

are you using the latest drivers?
--sound card also?

--but your rig link works fine

and forget my "theory" ... i played it on both nvidia and ATi cards -withour issue

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004

but your rig link works fine
Thanks... I've been thinking about getting a new video card but I'm going to hold off.

What's funny is that this game runs in my monitor's native res just beautifully! 1400x1050x16. Smooth as butter! It is a great looking game :)

I might still be trading in this monitor though... it's still "on trial" ;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

but your rig link works fine
Thanks... I've been thinking about getting a new video card but I'm going to hold off.

What's funny is that this game runs in my monitor's native res just beautifully! 1400x1050x16. Smooth as butter! It is a great looking game :)

I might still be trading in this monitor though... it's still "on trial" ;)
:cool:

i'd just say update all your drivers and try again

i have an AGP x1950p for sale ;)

your PS is not sufficient ... i'd suggest an 7800GS OC ... i got one for $160 after MIR and it plays nice with my PS

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
So what spells do you guys swear by? My favourite is Force Push. I can basically run through X number of baddies using force push and sometimes not even have to kill any of them.

I got the halo over my head even with using my melee and ranged weapons for sniping... someone earlier in the thread said you can only get it by using magic.

I love head-shotting the bad guys from far away and then pumping 4-5 arrows into one when they are alerted to your presence and start running for you...

Apoppin, what is your secret for fighting trolls? I just stay back and cast fireballs or lightning, dodging the rocks and then move in for the kill when they are at about 25% power, casting Time and hack-hack-flourish with my augmented melee weapon :) Come to think of it... I never even considered using my ranged weapons on one... hmm