"Fable PC: Lost Chapters" 30 hours of play - WORTH IT!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It is a OK game. Worth it for $10.
It isn't BG2 or anything mind you.

It does have some clipping problems, but no real show stopping bugs. The overuse of some of the voices gets on my nerves though, and some other nitpicks.

It isn't as earth shattering as molyneux was talking about though. It is just a OK game.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: wizboy11
Here's a review from gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fablethelostchapters/review.html

Got an 8.6 (pretty good)
*quote*
The Good: Lively, beautifully envisioned gameworld is fun to explore; interesting, if slightly shallow, morality system causes your character to evolve; solid action and role-playing elements; outstanding presentation makes the game exciting to see and listen to; the lost chapters adds some great new quests, extending the storyline .

The Bad: Main quest is quite short and linear; combat system can be exploited, thanks to some overpowered spells; character interaction is shallow.
*/quote*

Good outweighs the bad, open box and play away :p

back to 'pop in ... with an update

Runs FINE on Win2K ... well on my rig ... anyway

so far, i *maxed* the details and run with 2xAA [first settings i tried] ... no slowdowns, but i am just getting started.

... apparently there is no 'anytime save' although there are slots to save your Hero's characteristics ... whatever that means.
:confused:

you start out as a little kid and get to 'choose' right away.

Graphics are OK ... some parts looks really nice ....

just the very barest of 'first impressions' ... knowing me, you'll probably get an update
:roll:
Its a great 'break' from NWN2 ... i wondered why my little Hero didn't run to the spot i clicked on the ground ... almost forgot about WASD.
:Q

not really :D

I think (if I remember what happens) is you save the stats of the player but when you load it you come into the last area (in the beginning) that you were in. So if you teleported somewhere, did a lot of sh!t then saved, the characters stats were saved, not all the sh!t you did.

You'll start off when you teleported (i think)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: wizboy11
I think (if I remember what happens) is you save the stats of the player but when you load it you come into the last area (in the beginning) that you were in. So if you teleported somewhere, did a lot of sh!t then saved, the characters stats were saved, not all the sh!t you did.

You'll start off when you teleported (i think)
Unfortunately ... it seems to be a *cheat* ... since you can just save your "progress" you can return to a Quest over and over, artificially upping your stats

Update ... 2/5/07

I *put off* playing this for SO long ... it seemed kinda *cutesy* and it kept falling to the bottom of my "to be played" games .... until Tron2.0 started SO slow, i fired it up and "got into it"

Well, damn if it isn't a very interesting game ... the little kid grows up and THIS TIME you get to choose EITHER good or bad ... which means it might be worth a replay

the story is interesting and so are the NPCs ... plus there is some *real humour* ... and NOT for kids

it is more FPS than RPG ... but RPG is definitely there ... i am picking mostly "magic" [will]

more updates as i progress ...

but i like it ... so far ... surprisingly ... DESPITE myself

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Picked it up as well last week, along with The Godfather and Rise of Nations. Looking forward to playing it once I'm done with The Godfather.

I'm interested in seeing how closely the good/evil system is to the one implemented within KOTOR.

blazerazor

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
This a great game and a shining example of what a video game should be. Its fun, its pretty, not too hard. You can beat it rather fast, and it was WAY too short and I consider it one of the best, fondest memery of the original Xbox, along with halo, Kotor,& sequels.

It really is better going back, I just recently spent most of a free saturday adventuring in the orginal and I found SO much stuff I first missed. I went archer/mage and when straight to Demon from Hell the whole world hates me in the first hours into it. The bandit quest to help or protect the boxes, let the bandits all die, then just keep killing the cop soldier guys that come out 3 at a time,.. this is a bug. I killed them for like 20 mins, till I saved and reset the quest. Finished right. Was instandtfull EVIL looking like a meth'd out skinny dead smelling like farmaldihide with fly's circling, horns & red smoke from the ground you walk on. That is so cool.

But the sweet crossbow you get for scaficing all the hired guys, I only found 3. so I know I did it 10 times over, never getting the best reward weapon in the game. Next time I do I benige on that 'fable' I'm going ALL MAGIC and going for a HALO. Gots to be hardest way, using no weapons, cause the magic system really burn up quickly and you have to us pots, but at least its everywhere.

I really am looking forward to the new one. That game and a sys price drop and maybe halo will probably have me dropping down my plastic for another damn brick I probably only clear 2 or 3 games on. Life of a console. Now the aiming of the arrows on console is crap and you have to just flip thru all the enemies with one button and over whelming attacks with the hobs cave, the arena long run of constant enemies and the nympos that spawn the magic throwing hobes got a little long winded and slight of bore. Annoying for archer, I would always accidently push the movement toggle down in hot action running around and go into that FPS mode and FRENCH would be what I was speaking.

But why the F^%F$ was a MEMORIE game put in b4 you can fight/meet the bandit camp leader. Thats the first big game event, and that game straight sucks. That took me more tries than anything in the game. I was getting so preturb'd at being stuck there for so long the first time through.

Hope the sequel is just as fun. And is fairly short too.
I personally hate a game that requires all of my free time.
I mean the storie for fable, was just fairly good, and I wanted to watch & make it through.
What ever the game does exactly what a action adventure 'video' game should.

natep

Sep 27, 2005
Originally posted by: blazerazor
This a great game and a shining example of what a video game should be...

I disagree. It's worth $10, and is fun to play through once. That one time is too short though. Also, the fact that you can max almost all of the 3 gameplay styles in one play leaves pretty much 0 room for replay value. Once you figure out what one of the insanely powerful spells are, you can roll through the game.

Very linear, very short, lackluster story, with good hack n' slash style fights.

My friend loved the story, but I thought it was the biggest pile of garbage ever. Love it or hate it.

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
This a great game and a shining example of what a video game should be. Its fun, its pretty, not too hard. You can beat it rather fast, and it was WAY too short and I consider it one of the best, fondest memery of the original Xbox, along with halo, Kotor,& sequels.

It really is better going back, I just recently spent most of a free saturday adventuring in the orginal and I found SO much stuff I first missed. I went archer/mage and when straight to Demon from Hell the whole world hates me in the first hours into it. The bandit quest to help or protect the boxes, let the bandits all die, then just keep killing the cop soldier guys that come out 3 at a time,.. this is a bug. I killed them for like 20 mins, till I saved and reset the quest. Finished right. Was instandtfull EVIL looking like a meth'd out skinny dead smelling like farmaldihide with fly's circling, horns & red smoke from the ground you walk on. That is so cool.

But the sweet crossbow you get for scaficing all the hired guys, I only found 3. so I know I did it 10 times over, never getting the best reward weapon in the game. Next time I do I benige on that 'fable' I'm going ALL MAGIC and going for a HALO. Gots to be hardest way, using no weapons, cause the magic system really burn up quickly and you have to us pots, but at least its everywhere.

I really am looking forward to the new one. That game and a sys price drop and maybe halo will probably have me dropping down my plastic for another damn brick I probably only clear 2 or 3 games on. Life of a console. Now the aiming of the arrows on console is crap and you have to just flip thru all the enemies with one button and over whelming attacks with the hobs cave, the arena long run of constant enemies and the nympos that spawn the magic throwing hobes got a little long winded and slight of bore. Annoying for archer, I would always accidently push the movement toggle down in hot action running around and go into that FPS mode and FRENCH would be what I was speaking.

But why the F^%F$ was a MEMORIE game put in b4 you can fight/meet the bandit camp leader. Thats the first big game event, and that game straight sucks. That took me more tries than anything in the game. I was getting so preturb'd at being stuck there for so long the first time through.

Hope the sequel is just as fun. And is fairly short too.
I personally hate a game that requires all of my free time.
I mean the storie for fable, was just fairly good, and I wanted to watch & make it through.
What ever the game does exactly what a action adventure 'video' game should.

For some reason, I was able to get Skorm's Bow in one try...

I brought 6-8 villagers from Oakvale and 2 mercs (the good one from Temple of Avo and the evil one from Twinblade's camp) and I brought them to the Chapel. Once it was midnight, I talked to the temple dude and they sacrificed my evil merc (not sure if it was random or not, didn't recall who was closest to me at the moment) and them BAM!, Skorm's Bow was in my grasp! And I wasn't full good either, I was about...halfway.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: natep
This a great game and a shining example of what a video game should be...

I disagree. It's worth $10, and is fun to play through once. That one time is too short though. Also, the fact that you can max almost all of the 3 gameplay styles in one play leaves pretty much 0 room for replay value. Once you figure out what one of the insanely powerful spells are, you can roll through the game.

Very linear, very short, lackluster story, with good hack n' slash style fights.

My friend loved the story, but I thought it was the biggest pile of garbage ever. Love it or hate it.
well, it IS bargain bin, now --not $50

are you one of the gamers that loves to RACE thru a game?
--and *skip* all the SQs?

then Fable is not for you

i like to *stop and explore* ... and there is much room for *exploration*
[and it is *very linear* if you make it so]

--neither DM M&M ... which some people reported beating in 8 hours ...
ridiculous, IMO

and they call *one ending* "beating the game" :p
... and not bothering with ANY *secrets*

the Fable *story* is very good --for a Fantasy Action Adventure RPG ... so far
it's not LotR ... but decent and with some really humourous situations
[i finished one mini-SQ by figuring a *Fart* was the proper *response* ... the bad guy ran for his life holding his nose ...] :D

Considering it was never patched ... it is quite stable

i am looking forward to finishing it

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I guess that means I missed it going on sale AGAIN. One of these days I will be able to catch Fable onsale.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Fable was also *on sale* for $9.99 LAST week at CC online
i RePosted the Hot Deal [in Hot Deals of course ... i was linked here, i think]

:p

you might check to see if it is their regular price ;)

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
It's an okay game, but it got so much undeserved hype...Molyneux was touting it 'the best RPG ever' and it's really far from it. Originally the game was to be called 'Project Ego' and it was going to be a huge, sprawling RPG that could be played for hundreds of hours. Completely open ended, spanning generations. You'd be able to plan an acorn and then come back to that place playing as your character's great-grandchild and see a huge, 150 year old tree.

Instead, we got an incredibly linear Zelda: OoT clone without dungeons and with light RPG elements tacked on. And it's not half bad at that. It has good graphics (for Xbox), good music, tight controls...

The biggest problem is the games length. It's absurdly short, specially for an RPG. The game can be finished in less than 10 hours, and that's with all the quests finished!!! And you just can't explore. The game is CLUTTERED with invisible walls and fences limiting you in every turn. What looks like an open forest in reality is just a series of fixed paths with a couple (at most) of exits. Might as well be corridors. And what's with the load times! Often (in the Xbox version) it'd take me less to walk from one edge of the map to the other than what it took for the next map to load.

If anyone is interested, I wrote a review of the game in Gamespot 2 years ago when it came out on Xbox It sums up my feelings about the game well.

I guess it's a good deal for 10 bucks, however.

And regarding Schadenfroh's question: It's a western RPG, created by Lionhead studios in England, though it has some (albeit small) influence from JRPG as well.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
I... thought "Fable"... was a *pretty good* game.

In fact it's... one of *the* few "games"... that I "own" on my 'Xbox'.

While it may not be "long" or "challenging"... I enjoy it for what it *is*... a "simple" "action" "RPG" that *tries* to "break" the "mold".

I was *particularly* "fond" of the *level* of "customization" between "armor", "tattoos" and "hair".

The "combat system" was a lot of "fun" as well, *IMHO*.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k

While it may not be "long" or "challenging"... I enjoy it for what it *is*... a "simple" "action" "RPG" that *tries* to "break" the "mold".

I was *particularly* "fond" of the *level* of "customization" between "armor", "tattoos" and "hair".

Everyone, Shatner posts on anandtech!

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Auryg
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k

Everyone, Shatner posts on anandtech!

I "thought"... this was a Shatner... *impressions* thread.

"Apparently" *I* was "misunderstood".

Either way I *still* give this "game" a solid "thumbsup".

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Noema
It's an okay game, but it got so much undeserved hype...Molyneux was touting it 'the best RPG ever' and it's really far from it. Originally the game was to be called 'Project Ego' and it was going to be a huge, sprawling RPG that could be played for hundreds of hours. Completely open ended, spanning generations. You'd be able to plan an acorn and then come back to that place playing as your character's great-grandchild and see a huge, 150 year old tree.

Instead, we got an incredibly linear Zelda: OoT clone without dungeons and with light RPG elements tacked on. And it's not half bad at that. It has good graphics (for Xbox), good music, tight controls...

The biggest problem is the games length. It's absurdly short, specially for an RPG. The game can be finished in less than 10 hours, and that's with all the quests finished!!! And you just can't explore. The game is CLUTTERED with invisible walls and fences limiting you in every turn. What looks like an open forest in reality is just a series of fixed paths with a couple (at most) of exits. Might as well be corridors. And what's with the load times! Often (in the Xbox version) it'd take me less to walk from one edge of the map to the other than what it took for the next map to load.

If anyone is interested, I wrote a review of the game in Gamespot 2 years ago when it came out on Xbox It sums up my feelings about the game well.

I guess it's a good deal for 10 bucks, however.

And regarding Schadenfroh's question: It's a western RPG, created by Lionhead studios in England, though it has some (albeit small) influence from JRPG as well.

*can be finished in 10 hours* ... for people who like to RUN thru the game :p

it can also be finished in 20+ hours ... there are two ways to play it *good* or *bad* ;)

the PC version [afaik] has added content over the xbox360 version

*load times* are about TEN SECONDS an my PC

and although there are *paths* like KotOR - there is PLENTY of *exploration* ... and the same maps respawn NPCs so you don't just run thru *cleared areas*

so far ... i really like it

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
If anybody who picked this up cheap wants to resell it off LMK so that I can take a look at give an opinion :)

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
it's $19.99 at WalMart :p

saw it there today ... regular price ... look around ...

I can wait for it to drop back down to $10 somewhere :)

Im currently playing Prey and Nightfall...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
how is Nightfall? ...

i recommended PREY here

ANYway, i think you can get it online for ~$10 + S&H ... it is officially discounted to bargain bin

and i have a *comment* to the people who say it is *short*

did you miss it?

it is NOT short ... *only* if you RACE thru the MQ ... and skip any exploration [and probably with a walkthru in hand] ... it *can* be done in 10 hours

i took a peek at the walkthru ... and i have almost 7 hours in and am less than 1/3 way ... playing as *good* :p

it is a *very good* action RPG ... *better* than DM M&M ... a much better world
[my Hero just got laid]
:Q

didnt have the gold for the *exotic* girl
rose.gif

:gift:

:laugh:

:thumbsup:

and the Bosses are varied and FUN !

... puzzles //...

and a 'party' if you want it

i am enjoying it as well as the first 3/4s of Gothic3 [except it is very *bug free* for an UnPatched game]

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
I just picked this up, along with KOTOR2 last week from CC. I've completed my boy training and am now ready for the quests. I think I'm going to switch this one around. I always go good, and I'm always a warrior with malee as a fighting type. Think I'll choose to be bad this time and go for the magic user.

I will say the interface is kinda hokey. Your inventory, place where you up your skills, etc, it doesn't seem to be very intuituve like other games. But now that I'm really starting to play the quests, hopefully I'll get used to it a little more.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah I didn't think it was as short as people claim either. Granted as an action RPG you hope for a long, more open game, and it certainly wasn't the greatest RPG ever, but one of my favorite. Many of the criticisms are true though. Once you play it through once, you generally can go through it again with ease since some of the spells are so powerful and your character is just gets super powerful. The graphics are great, NPC interaction is good, customization and items is thorough, and the quest variation is good. The combat is quite good too (this is where I like the controller more). For $10, hell yeah.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I like Nightfall a lot better than either Prophecies or especially Factions! The heroes make it easier to solo which can be a bummer when you actually NEED other human help to finish something. Some of the missions still have bugs though where people get stuck who are supposed to follow you so it gets frustrating.

I really hated the Prey demo but find that the game is really neat.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Just checked my local CC and BB for this game, both had it for $20. So, I guess I will wait for it to be on the 48 hour madness sale. Any idea what kind of copy protection this game uses? I am not buying SecuROM / StarForce titles. From reading over this thread I see that it is hack and slash focused. But, I dont care about action, as long as the story and character development of you and your party members is at least on par with the first two acts of NWN2, never finished the final act, for I encountered a good amount of bugs and got bored with it towards the end of act II and ended up uninstalling it, waiting for them to fix it.