F.E.A.R. 2 PC demo

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Raduque
I'm enjoying it. No it's not FEAR 1, but it's still a fun game and it does look nice.

Ran it fully maxed at 1680x1050 on a c2d 2.8/2gb/hd3870.

If it wasn't FEAR 2 I'd probably be more kind to it, but it has a standard to live up to which it does not.

I'll probably buy it when I see it for under $25 (Canadian).

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Bah, I think I'm going to load up FEAR 1, just for kicks. Jeez, I remember I usually couldn't play more than 30 minutes of that before needing to stop. THAT was well-done suspense horror, not silly Doom3 "BOO!" horror.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
I'm playing FEAR now, at Interval 6. Must say it's an awesome game! I'll be checking out the FEAR 2 demo once I'm done playing this and Perseus Mandate.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
You know, it was based off the glowing reviews on this forum that I decided to pick up the Collectors Edition (FEAR + both expansions) for $20 from Gamestop. Amazing game...

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Finished FEAR 2 demo last night.

I got used to the FOV but not the HUD or menus. Film grain was bad.

Flashlight does not cast a shadow, interesting note.

The dynamic light (oscillating hanging light) doesn't exaclty cast the proper shadow. Becuase when the light was facing the player the bright slits between the shadows weren't any brighter and didn't change as the light turned away from the player.

Graphics overall don't seem to be that much better than the old game.

The game is fun but its not the old FEAR fun. So far I give it 7.5/10.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
It runs great on my system with maxed out settings at 1600x1200. I was very surprised.

Best running multiplatform shooter released on PC in a LONG time. Was it ported to PC or to consoles?

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Originally posted by: quadomatic
It runs great on my system with maxed out settings at 1600x1200. I was very surprised.

Best running multiplatform shooter released on PC in a LONG time. Was it ported to PC or to consoles?

Do you even need to ask that question?

This was an afterthought console-to-PC port with very little attention paid to the needs and standards of PC gamers.

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
Well it hasn't been released yet, but based off of the demo I'm going to go with no. Not that I don't think it will be an enjoyable game, because I do. I just don't think it will be *as* good of a game.

speedfreak

Jan 26, 2009
thanks for the fast reply. :)
maybe because its just the demo version. i just hope it'll be more refined when released.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

This was great. Just like the older ones. Nice to have a scary FPS back. I'll be buying this for sure. I agree however that it is slightly wonky and consolish..........and that hud is stupid.

Provenone

Feb 2, 2009
Originally posted by: rstrohkirch
Is that sarcasm because I couldn't actually tell.

Also, a demo SHOULD be based off final release. They should be demonstrating the product they intend on selling, which is not a beta build. Finalize the game, release a demo with limited content. If it's a demo, and not a beta or RC, then I certainly will be using it to make a purchasing decision.

yeah, but i find more and more devs are using demos as "open betas" so they can have the players report bugs, because lets face it, we're the only ones that are actually gonna try and exploit the game, not the tester :p haha!

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I've only seen a Gamespot review so far, and it doesn't look like it's even as good as the original. Sad, how does this stuff happen?

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
I've only seen a Gamespot review so far, and it doesn't look like it's even as good as the original. Sad, how does this stuff happen?

The bar changes every year...

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Anyone seen a review showing how various video cards perform in the game? I have everything on maximum, 4x AA, 1920x1200 and things run OK overall but there are many instances of choppiness. e8400 @ 3.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 512MB HD4850 stock.