F-22. The most advanced fighter the world has ever seen.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: WolverineGator
Originally posted by: eleison
Originally posted by: Martin
That's cool. You can go and attack Iran now, and get your asses kicked by AK47s for the third time.

I don't know man... F22 verses AK47s... I would think the F22 would blow away the AK47 to smithereens. I think F22 fire missiles and bombs while AK47... well, they only fire the 7.62x39 bullets..

We should do an experiment.. line up a bunch of ak47s facing a bunch of F22's... I wonder who would win :)

No need for experimenting. Just look at the real world. We're getting our butts kicked in Iraq now with AK47's and IEDs despite our massive firepower, technology, and air superiority.

Point well taken.. Yes.. the AK47 is a strong nemesis... there must be some weapon we could invent that would completely destroy these AK47's. For such an old technology... there must be something we haven't thought of yet??????

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
That's cool. You can go and attack Iran now, and get your asses kicked by AK47s for the third time.

I don't know man... F22 verses AK47s... I would think the F22 would blow away the AK47 to smithereens. I think F22 fire missiles and bombs while AK47... well, they only fire the 7.62x39 bullets..

We should do an experiment.. line up a bunch of ak47s facing a bunch of F22's... I wonder who would win :)

No need for experimenting. Just look at the real world. We're getting our butts kicked in Iraq now with AK47's and IEDs despite our massive firepower, technology, and air superiority.

Point well taken.. Yes.. the AK47 is a strong nemesis... there must be some weapon we could invent that would completely destroy these AK47's. For such an old technology... there must be something we haven't thought of yet??????

There is indeed such a weapon - its called "the brain" - its about the size of piece of ham and its not terribly glamorous, but it does work.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Man I see these fly over all the time and they are amazing. I feel pretty safe around here! :D

dirtylimey

Nov 22, 2006
F22 = PS3
Eurofighter = Wii

BBC News Article

The US Air Force has already begun to take delivery of another superjet, the F-22 Raptor.

This is very stealthy but costs twice the price of the Eurofighter, and reports suggest that RAF's Eurofighters have flown highly successful missions against the F-22 during recent exercises in the US.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Too bad most of its awesomeness will probably never be used. Don't know if I should hope I'm right or wrong on that one.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: dirtylimey
F22 = PS3
Eurofighter = Wii

BBC News Article

The US Air Force has already begun to take delivery of another superjet, the F-22 Raptor.

This is very stealthy but costs twice the price of the Eurofighter, and reports suggest that RAF's Eurofighters have flown highly successful missions against the F-22 during recent exercises in the US.

inter-country wargames are really skewed.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Considering the economic and political fallout that would inevitably result from a conflict that required F22's to be pushed to their limits, I hope they're just a waste of money.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006

There is indeed such a weapon - its called "the brain" - its about the size of piece of ham and its not terribly glamorous, but it does work.

I don't know man.. but I think if we throw a bunch of brains at these AK47s, the brains will just spatter. AK47s are mostly made out of metal -- hard to spatter..

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Also at Tyndall, the 94th?s pilots got a chance to use the F-22?s internal gun?another operational first?by firing at a target dragged by a Learjet.

I'd hate to be the guy flying the Leerjet.

Nov 3, 2004
If we ever attack Iran, it'll be just to pound them into submission then sign some treaty, none of this country-building crap

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
If we ever attack Iran, it'll be just to pound them into submission then sign some treaty, none of this country-building crap

Armchair Generals never helped to win a war.

k1pp3r

Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: preslove
Considering the economic and political fallout that would inevitably result from a conflict that required F22's to be pushed to their limits, I hope they're just a waste of money.

Yeah, that would be a serious conflict. Draft and everything

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Googer
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother

Armchair Generals never helped to win a war.

then do tell, general? :confused:

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
F22 = PS3
Eurofighter = Wii

BBC News Article

That is the BBC helping sales of an aircraft made by a british company... "reports suggest" being the key phrase.

They either did or they didn't...

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it the same with the F-22... just the USAF trying to justify a multi-billion dollar aircraft development program.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
F22 = PS3
Eurofighter = Wii

BBC News Article

That is the BBC helping sales of an aircraft made by a british company... "reports suggest" being the key phrase.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it the same with the F-22... just the USAF trying to justify a multi-billion dollar aircraft development program.

according to amused's article, f22s kill 2x as many as the eurofighters

chowmein

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
on another note we just got a few CV-22s on Hurby, vert acceleration and speed for a helo is pretty sweet.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

We are not getting our 'butts kicked'. Go look at the body count if you really want to keep score. What you see in the news is 'X soldiers killed today' because that is what they want you to read. Oh, and yes, I'm still ready for us to leave that place. But it's definately not because we are getting our 'butts kicked'.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269

We are not getting our 'butts kicked'. Go look at the body count if you really want to keep score. What you see in the news is 'X soldiers killed today' because that is what they want you to read. Oh, and yes, I'm still ready for us to leave that place. But it's definately not because we are getting our 'butts kicked'.

The only butt kicking going on in this war is public opinion. Militarily we own the country and could stomp out the threat at any time. But that would make baby hippies cry. So we stand by and let our soldiers be blown up and allow the terrorists to win by attrition of public opinion.

Jun 14, 2003
this air craft is soooo bad ass

props to you guys spending the money and building a truely great machine. if my country had funded and built that id be hella proud.

instead we've got the eurofighter.

i guess i can only reminisce the truely great feat that was concorde (no computers here boys) and Thrust SSC. such beautiful machines.

Jun 14, 2003
F22 = PS3
Eurofighter = Wii

BBC News Article

it costs twice the eurofighter because its very probably twice the plane

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
F22 = PS3
Eurofighter = Wii

BBC News Article

Yeah, you can also speculate on what exactly "highly successful" means in this context. Better than thought because they didn't get totally butt-raped? Or is it that they actually performed equal or better? Who can say, obviously not the BBC.