Exterous' vacation pictures: The Low Countries

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
1.6 million beetles and it was Queen Paola who commissioned the work. The artist, Fabre, insists that the beetle wings were thrown out by restaurants in Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand after the customers eat the beetles.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
1.6 million beetles and it was Queen Paola who commissioned the work. The artist, Fabre, insists that the beetle wings were thrown out by restaurants in Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand after the customers eat the beetles.

I find this claim to be....dubious. :D

"No, no, no! It is not I, the Great FABRE! who is the monster! It is those bloody savages in those villages that eat the beetles!"

...mostly unrelated, but anyone know the story of how the current Royal/Crown-whatever family of Monoco came to the throne? (the one that Grace Kelly married into).

They dressed as monks, sneaked into the palace and under the cover of night, murdered the sitting royal family. Viola!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The last day was at Ghent

5paj1Pj.jpg

WDkHyNe.jpg

PmyRbHO.jpg

W1mfB9R.jpg

NAOeMyn.jpg

Z8fvC3w.jpg

kt4pqeZ.jpg

rmn6ZOf.jpg

Aq6SMeC.jpg

Then it was time to hop on the train to Schipol and head home :(

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I find this claim to be....dubious. :D

"No, no, no! It is not I, the Great FABRE! who is the monster! It is those bloody savages in those villages that eat the beetles!"

So they did have a picture in the room of a person with a bucket of shells taking them from the restaurant off to be cleaned and sorted for shipment to Belgium. Still could be a fabricated story but if it is at least they put some effort behind it

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Did you get a chance to walk the labyrinth, (ad 1533) at the Ghent Town Hall (Stadhuis)?

ghent-town-hall-stadhuis.jpg