Exterous' vacation pictures: The Low Countries

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I jumped on some $375 RT tickets to Amsterdam so we could check Luxembourg off our countries list and spend more time exploring one of my favorite countries - Belgium.

As a side note AMS has showers at Yotel that anyone can book. Its ~$20 for 45min. Great way to freshen up after a red-eye and before a full days worth of exploring. It's an option I wish more airports had.

Bruges:
UyH5Ei4.jpg

4fb3mdp.jpg

iSE1bh8.jpg

8I5KV29.jpg

v0n5YSL.jpg

jHw1kep.jpg

Jl95pyb.jpg

Ymdzcn0.jpg

We did something a little different for this trip (for us). We based ourselves out of Brussels and mostly did day trips by train. Belgium makes this incredibly easy as there is no advantage to buying train tickets early and those tickets are good for any train that day. So you don't have to guess what time you want to leave. The downside is that it's a lot harder to get good morning and night photos. The upside is that it is easier to switch around days if need be (and we needed to due to weather). So we traded operational flexibility for strategic flexibility

Anyway - one of the great benefits to being based out of Brussels was easy access to my favorite Fish&Chips restaurant: Bia Mara

li5c3Ah.jpg

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Awesome pictures. Totally Coolcoin worthy :)

Yeeeeessssss!

$20 for a shower? Holy shit.

Outside of airport lounges (many of which don't have showers) where else are you going to conveniently find one? It was a small cabin with separate bathroom\sink area, towels and toiletries. And $20 for two showers since both my wife and I were able to take one.

Nice pics, though. Those fish and chips look pretty dang good.

I've had F&C in numerous establishments across at several continents and this is my favorite place for them

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
After Bruges we went to Luxembourg. We spent the night even though we had a hotel in Belgium as the 3.5 hour trip would make a same day round trip difficult. (I was also using a free 7-night hotel voucher in Brussles so paying for a night in Luxembourg was an easy decision) I really liked the city and was surprised at how much the elevation changed in the area

API567I.jpg

NqIBq5M.jpg

qcMn5Xa.jpg

TbSuJRx.jpg

2LW9y9p.jpg

bqoXIqF.jpg

PYDR4dN.jpg

KEnUFKZ.jpg

P3nntns.jpg

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Nice pics, though.

Thanks. Looking through them though they are looking grainier/noiser than usual. Looks like the ISO settings are similar to what I've used in the past so I'm not entire sure what is going on

Arran82

Sep 26, 2018
The most disappointing thing about Brugge is the tower....you get to the top then realise it's nothing like the top of the tower from 'In Brugges'.....which is the only reason i went.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
So one of the things I love so very much about Belgium is their food and drink. Belgium beer is my favorite style but there that is just know as 'beer'

Grocery stores have row after row of doubles, tripples, quads, trappist etc at rock bottom prices compared to here
Jyvi57g.jpg

mzdsxSk.jpg

(These 4 bottles cost like $7 total)

It was hard not to just buy everything and spend the entire trip drinking in our hotel room. Of course we had to get out to try the bars and breweries though

zhzlj62.jpg

HljPotX.jpg

ciGQogL.jpg

Fortunately potatoes are a great way to soak up all that alcohol and that is another area Belgium excels with the potatoes they double fry in beef fat

P8OqZjM.jpg

l7egdNX.jpg

Can't forget dessert

UyREjJv.jpg

Or breakfast

vRAEHMq.jpg

If there are any beer aficionados out there you may recognize these bottles:
m3U2vBP.jpg

https://belgium.beertourism.com/belgian-beers/westvleteren-12

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Awesome stuff! Mmm... chocolate tits...

This thread reminds me I need to post pictures from my trip down under.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The next day was a great example regarding the flexibility a hotel base offered us. Rain was moving into the area and we really wanted to go to picturesque Dinant on a nice day. We were originally going to go to the castle in Vianden but decided to head to Dinant as it was supposed to really storm the day we were supposed to go there.

hPSGlen.jpg

Zm0F80H.jpg

3tr5E7w.jpg

MbBbInu.jpg

PYWVQq2.jpg

1FBCR3d.jpg

4lNrEMh.jpg

xqnGdKw.jpg

And no stop in Dinant would be complete without a stop by Maison Leffe where 7 euro gets you access to their beer museum and the option to try their beers:

fKUtPSJ.jpg

(Not bad for 7 euro)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Awesome stuff! Mmm... chocolate tits...

This thread reminds me I need to post pictures from my trip down under.

Yes...yes you do

jealous..Westvleteren is amazing beer

Indeed it is - but so is most of their beer. It was a constant struggle to decide between having more of a particular amazing beer and trying new beers I can't get at home that will almost certainly also be amazing

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
The next day was a great example regarding the flexibility a hotel base offered us. Rain was moving into the area and we really wanted to go to picturesque Dinant on a nice day. We were originally going to go to the castle in Vianden but decided to head to Dinant as it was supposed to really storm the day we were supposed to go there. no stop in Dinant would be complete without a stop by Maison Leffe where 7 euro gets you access to their beer museum and the option to try their beers:

(Not bad for 7 euro)

I love all the pictures of the stained glass. They almost don't look real.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Belgium is great, except for all the Belgies.

It looks like you went to the Cantillon brewery in Brussels? That's a really chill tour/visit. We were there when they were hauling in the pallets of sour cherries for their cherry lambic, and you could just stand at the bar, drink some beers, and eat cherries off of the pallets.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I love the food at the french fry stands in Netherlands/Belgium , it's deep fried heaven

149823827_jJRICUUMl-rY7sVZmboVP82WS8pP2HTowLBcsgrcdrY.jpg

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The Royal Palace of Brussels

OqsPnFd.jpg

yHXwn1w.jpg

Beetle shell ceiling

ifi36ZK.jpg

sc0ysuu.jpg

FWP3fFl.jpg

Viller's Abbey
Unfortunately they were doing some sort of clothing catalog shoot and were cleaning up from a concert at Viller's Abbey when we were there so we were unable to get some of the more dramatic shots while we were there (Note the disco ball in the third picture)

HL1WTF8.jpg

6j6ZRAS.jpg

BnrfeMV.jpg

Reactions: Thebobo

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
did you see schipol?

I suspect you mean something other than the airport but I am not sure what that would be

I love all the pictures of the stained glass. They almost don't look real.

Thanks!

Belgium is great, except for all the Belgies.

It looks like you went to the Cantillon brewery in Brussels? That's a really chill tour/visit. We were there when they were hauling in the pallets of sour cherries for their cherry lambic, and you could just stand at the bar, drink some beers, and eat cherries off of the pallets.

I've never had any issues with the Belgies. We didn't make it to their brewery so we got those at Moeder Lambic

I love the food at the french fry stands in Netherlands/Belgium , it's deep fried heaven

149823827_jJRICUUMl-rY7sVZmboVP82WS8pP2HTowLBcsgrcdrY.jpg

Yep. Nothing like a case of random stuff to fry in case the fries aren't enough