Expensive face wash worth it?

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
I am almost through my current bottle and am in the market for a new one.

I am in my early thirties and starting to age. My shampoo is Pureology and it is worth every dime over the Bed Head I used to purchase. Pureology is much more expensive than the normal premium brands and the difference is obvious. The jump from 3 dollars bottles to 20 dollars bottles were minimal.

Face wash I have not had much ROI on. I have tried Jack Black, Kiehls and Estee Lauder. Oil of Olay has worked the best so far. Is there another tier that is far superior to these washes? I don't mind spending money on this stuff since it last so long.

Since everyone here makes high six figures I am sure that there are a bunch of options you guys use.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Don't you know you aren't supposed to use shampoo or soap at all? Or has that fad mercifully passed?

Anyhow, I use whatever big jug of body wash Sam's Club is selling at the time and it works fine for me so I'll say "no" to the original question.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Old Spice 3-in-1 body wash
I use it for hair, face and body.

I don't wash my face outside the shower.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I doubt there are many guys here that follow some type of facial regimen. I'd guess most just wash their face with a regular bar of soap.

For me I use St. Ives Oatmeal scrub. Its only $5 a tube so its very inexpensive. I had read a few articles on facial wash, and they always stated that it really doesn't matter what you use, because its going to be washed off anyway. Expensive washes are a waste of money. I still wouldn't use a bar of soap though. Too drying.

Its what you do after washing your face that matters. Do you use a toner? What about a serum or a lotion that has an SPF of 30 or greater? You can find the cheaper brands in CVS, but the really good stuff is found online and can be expensive.

In my case I use the Nuetrogena brand. I use Nuetrogena Alchoal Free Toner, and their under eye and facial cream w/ SPF 30. I also use a vitamin C serum that I buy from Amazon. It all goes on quickly and absorbs nicely. Finally, I make sure I wash my face before bed. When I'm done I quickly use an exfoliant pad with Vitamin C.

Once you get used to taking care of your skin it only takes a few minutes a day. My supply last at least 2-3 months, so its actually quite inexpensive.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My Fiancee deals with psoriasis and uses "burts bees" or some such product along with stuff like cetaphil and her beloved hand made overpriced natural soaps.

My uncle got his face set aflame and had lots of 2nd and some 3rd degree burns on his face like 35 years ago or so. We got him some of her favorite face cleaner and lotion cream things. He says they work well.

I use "bar of irish spring" it works well.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Used to use Grandpa's Pine Tar soap, but found it (and any bar soap) too drying.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Old Spice 3-in-1 body wash
I use it for hair, face and body.

I don't wash my face outside the shower.

Never use 3 in 1 of anything when it comes to hair and face. Body is different.

Always use a good but dedicated face and hair wash.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
If I wash my face with anything, it dries out.

Maybe once in a blue moon when my face feels exceptionally greasy I'll wash it with whatever is handy, can't remember what face stuff I last used.

But mostly, I just stick to water. I'll kind of "scrub" using my hands with water while in the shower, and throughout the day I tend to splash water on my face. Face is in good condition. :)

Once your face adjusts to not receiving the shock of constant hard cleansing and compensating with over-production of oils, water and a towel will help strip away any excess oil or dirt. Those hard cleansers really just result in a vicious cycle of stripping away oils and then over-production of oils, which leads back to the greasy feeling that "requires" the hard cleanser again.

FWIW, I'm not one of those hippies that abstains from soaps and chemicals. I use soap--Dove for Men, best bar soap ever as far as I'm concerned, doesn't leave me feeling dry or squeaky--and shampoo/conditioner. I do however abstain from showering every single day unless my body sort of dictates that I do. If I work up a sweat or otherwise start feeling dirty, I shower. I'm basically every other day unless I'm working out consistently. I dry out too easily.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
I use whatever my wife uses for face wash, shampoo, face lotion, and body lotion. Nothing she uses is cheap or inexpensive. They don't dry me out and my skin is never oily, so I guess that they work?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
depends entirely on your skin type.

I've tried most of the common stuff available in supermarkets and have found Noxzema to be the only one that doesn't totally dry out my skin.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
1113000204450_500X500.jpg

I have occasional acne issues. The benzoyl peroxide helps.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Face wash for acne or cleaning face in general? I think everyone should use a face wash. You look more fresh and clean afterwards. I hate when people say 'Face wash dries out my skins like a mothertrucker' then please buy a moisturizer.. how hard is that? again, I think everyone should moisturize there face too.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Face wash for acne or cleaning face in general? I think everyone should use a face wash. You look more fresh and clean afterwards. I hate when people say 'Face wash dries out my skins like a mothertrucker' then please buy a moisturizer.. how hard is that? again, I think everyone should moisturize there face too.

Stripping away oils and then replenishing with a moisturizer is sort of a backwards approach to keeping your skin healthy. Why not NOT strip?

I follow that approach with my body in the winter (washing dries out my skin like a motherfucker), so I use body lotion where necessary. But I don't want to put anything on my face except a alcohol & dye free aftershave lotion. Even then, I might need some face lotion when nothing else but water hits my skin, so then I do use a light lotion.

But the ideal method is not to dry our your natural skin and then replenish with products other than your own natural oil. I'm not saying that it might not look better in some capacity, but I'd prefer to not strip away the natural oils in the first place and then have to lean on other products to fill in the moisture gap.

I've kept my face in great condition and have next to no pimples or breakouts at this point in my life. The occasional one, usually at a hair follicle, but sticking to what I do... if my face looks and feels healthy on its own, and is obviously remaining clean, I think that's the route I'd rather stick to and not tamper with what nature landed on after all this time.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Any old bar soap is fine for me. I think all the talk about avoiding drying out skin or replenishing oils is nonsense. The entire purpose of soap is to remove dirt and oil. I don't want my face to feel like a disgusting greasy oily mess or I would not bother taking a shower.

Reactions: mindless1
May 11, 2008
Drink at least 3 liters of water a day and you will get clean and fresh skin automatically.
There was once a test done to see what difference it would make in skin health for men and women when drinking a lot of water each day. It made a lot of difference. No acne, clean pores and less oily skin.
You will have to urinate a lot, but that is the whole reason why the skin looks healthier, removing waste from the body.

Last edited:

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
I doubt there are many guys here that follow some type of facial regimen. I'd guess most just wash their face with a regular bar of soap.

For me I use St. Ives Oatmeal scrub. Its only $5 a tube so its very inexpensive. I had read a few articles on facial wash, and they always stated that it really doesn't matter what you use, because its going to be washed off anyway. Expensive washes are a waste of money. I still wouldn't use a bar of soap though. Too drying.

Its what you do after washing your face that matters. Do you use a toner? What about a serum or a lotion that has an SPF of 30 or greater? You can find the cheaper brands in CVS, but the really good stuff is found online and can be expensive.

In my case I use the Nuetrogena brand. I use Nuetrogena Alchoal Free Toner, and their under eye and facial cream w/ SPF 30. I also use a vitamin C serum that I buy from Amazon. It all goes on quickly and absorbs nicely. Finally, I make sure I wash my face before bed. When I'm done I quickly use an exfoliant pad with Vitamin C.

Once you get used to taking care of your skin it only takes a few minutes a day. My supply last at least 2-3 months, so its actually quite inexpensive.

I don't use a serum. I do use a spf 30 moisturizer daily. I find that when I use both I get too oily and start to break out.

Beyond that I don't have many acne issues. I will try some of your tips and see if that improves. Drinking water is crucial. Something that is tough for me and need to get better at. Either I am drinking a ton or nothing at all.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Also, don't use Dove. Dove isn't even soap, it is an oil-packed beauty bar. It doesn't clean. If you use it on your face, you're going to have one greasy mug.