Exagerrating salary history

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Assuming you have the skills for the job, the most important thing you can bring to an interview is confidence. Not arrogance, mind you, buy polite confidence.

So be confident and ask for what you think you're worth, and walk away from the employers trying to lowball you. Nobody is ever happy working for an employers who's number one goal is to hire someone cheaply.

And even if they do offer a decent starting salary, make sure your salary has room to increase. I've had managers look me in the eye and say that because I was making more than the norm for similar positions within the company that I would be getting a smaller annual increase. I took that to mean I should spend the rest of the day updating my resume.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
How long have they worked for the company? If it's been a while you can't expect to START at something that somebody else has worked for. I'd be pissed if after a few years and a raise or 2 somebody new was hired at the same wage. Companies honor loyalty and seniority. If they got higher STARTING salaries and they were hired during this economic shit-storm then maybe I can see expecting the same. If not then I think your expectations are a little out of whack for a new hire during these times.

Are you from the past?

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
I know people w/ nearly identical qualifications working for the same company for a nice chunk more. I really think a lot of employers are of the mindset that another $5k will attract someone away from their current position, esp. in a tough economy.

In my defense, there are some perks I have that aren't reflected in my salary (for example, employer pays gas (business and personal) and car insurance = 4k per year)

And they would be right.

I don't discuss previous salary with prospective employers because it's irrelevant. What matters is what they are willing to pay you today.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
Are you always 100% 'honest' with your salary?

Well it's not that I'm not honest, I simply omit. I've observed while interviewing that any respectable companies don't give a shit how much you made prior. They just want to see how capable you are and just negotiate within THEIR range of the position.

Real life scenario:

I was making a meager 44K in my prior job. I interviewed for a new one and when asked I simply omitted respectfully. Afterwards, I landed the 75K job in similar field, on managerial level.

You expect a meager 10-15% increase on every job hopping, then I think you're a REAL sucker. How do you think all those rich people/executives climbed the ladder at such young age?

maybe you havent been to all respectable company. there are companies that ask for salary history before even starting onsite review. I can point out 2 companies that do that, they are absolute leader of their respected field and they both starts with G.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
maybe you havent been to all respectable company. there are companies that ask for salary history before even starting onsite review. I can point out 2 companies that do that, they are absolute leader of their respected field and they both starts with G.

that's because they want to low ball you and act like it's a privelege working for them. In the real world giving a number first only hurts the job seeker. Think of it as buying a car, and you're the car. You don't say the car is XX dollars, you ask the buyer "so, how much you want to spend?"

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
that's because they want to low ball you and act like it's a privelege working for them. In the real world giving a number first only hurts the job seeker. Think of it as buying a car, and you're the car. You don't say the car is XX dollars, you ask the buyer "so, how much you want to spend?"

not because they want to, it's because they can.

add Nasdaq to that list of company that will ask for salary if you eventually apply u know what's gonna happen.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
not because they want to, it's because they can.

add Nasdaq to that list of company that will ask for salary if you eventually apply u know what's gonna happen.

If that's the case then I would give them double what I'm making now. If they push and push then I'll just give them some outrageous figure. It is none of their business and has zero influence on the current negotiations for services. Every single thing I've read about career and salary management says never give a figure first, never.

And one time, I got an offer on some ridiculous figure that was twice what I thought they'd offer.

Apr 17, 2003
And they would be right.

I don't discuss previous salary with prospective employers because it's irrelevant. What matters is what they are willing to pay you today.

perhaps they are right that 5% will attract most, but thats not the case with me. I live about a mile from work (3 minute commute); work with wonderful people (99% of the time); and has job security. Just some of the perks...I wouldn't give that up for a few thousand more bucks.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
If it bothers you that much, then list your actual history, then ask for what you WANT them to pay you to leave your current company, and ask for as much as you can. If they can't meet your demands, then look else where.

And, if you love your current job, then why even bother? Just brush them off until they make a ridiculous offer.

Apr 17, 2003
If it bothers you that much, then list your actual history, then ask for what you WANT them to pay you to leave your current company, and ask for as much as you can. If they can't meet your demands, then look else where.

And, if you love your current job, then why even bother? Just brush them off until they make a ridiculous offer.

I love my job and wouldn't leave for say 5-10% increase in pay...25% is a different story.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Look out for #1 as said earlier. You can be the most passive and non-aggressive guy out there, but you must be able to provide for yourself and your family if you are the bread winner.
I think the most important thing is to make sure you are worth it so you believe that you are. It makes a huge difference when you sit down and talk salaries.
Don't take it as being cocky, just realize if you were unhappy with working for someone knowing you can make more.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I love my job and wouldn't leave for say 5-10% increase in pay...25% is a different story.

Always depends why you're leaving. Bad job - change with low pay increase or maybe even no pay increase. I once took a pay cut to work at a place that had significantly better work conditions. If you like your current job, then throw out really high expectations. Locking it down to solid numbers is a bit silly.