Exagerrating salary history

Apr 17, 2003
so at the last job I interviewed I think I got lowballed on the starting salary (essentially, the new employer attempted to throw another 5k on top of my current salary).

So my question is do you guys ever exaggerate on the salary? how likely is it to bit me in the rear (i.e. new employer asks for a pay stub?)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I am 100% honest on application/resume.

What makes you think you were lowballed?

Apr 17, 2003
I am 100% honest on application/resume.

What makes you think you were lowballed?

I know people w/ nearly identical qualifications working for the same company for a nice chunk more. I really think a lot of employers are of the mindset that another $5k will attract someone away from their current position, esp. in a tough economy.

In my defense, there are some perks I have that aren't reflected in my salary (for example, employer pays gas (business and personal) and car insurance = 4k per year)

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Do they have more experience? No one has ever asked for my pay stubs; industry standard dictates what you'll be paid, that and experience.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
10% is a standard offer to change companies without relocating too far.
If you pad your current income by 5-15%, then you will be getting a 15-25% increase.
I have never had a company request a pay stub to verify previous income.

The new company wants to pay you as little as possible, yet enough to get you, obviously.
If they are willing to give you the amount based on your exaggerated income, then it is still a win-win for both parties.
They get you, you get more money.

I see nothing wrong with padding it. It is slightly immoral, but you gotta look out for #1.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
Why not just ask for the number you're looking for? If you already have a job, and have no reason to leave other than more money, simply request more. I would have to think any legitimate business that is actually interested in your services would pay you a reasonable amount provided your expectations aren't out of line.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I've never given a salary history for a job. I've done research and known what the market rate was and asked for what I thought was reasonable.

Except for my current job where I was contacted before the interview and told "This job pays X. Are you still interested in a interview?"

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
so at the last job I interviewed I think I got lowballed on the starting salary (essentially, the new employer attempted to throw another 5k on top of my current salary).

So my question is do you guys ever exaggerate on the salary? how likely is it to bit me in the rear (i.e. new employer asks for a pay stub?)

I don't provide salary history, as it is none of their business. The company knows very well what the salary range of the position they're hiring is, and IMO, they can negotiate from there.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Are you always 100% 'honest' with your salary?

Well it's not that I'm not honest, I simply omit. I've observed while interviewing that any respectable companies don't give a shit how much you made prior. They just want to see how capable you are and just negotiate within THEIR range of the position.

Real life scenario:

I was making a meager 44K in my prior job. I interviewed for a new one and when asked I simply omitted respectfully. Afterwards, I landed the 75K job in similar field, on managerial level.

You expect a meager 10-15% increase on every job hopping, then I think you're a REAL sucker. How do you think all those rich people/executives climbed the ladder at such young age?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011

This is how I see things:

1. Any respectable company that's not so cash strapped won't literally go to ask for the pay stub. Some cheap asses mention this right from the job posting. I don't even apply to these.

2. Omit salary. Always let them throw a number first, then reply that you're in their range if it's above your current salary. If they insist, then I throw out an exaggerated figure that sums up all my benefits. They never check, or I doubt my current company would release. There are plenty of other fish.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I know people w/ nearly identical qualifications working for the same company for a nice chunk more. I really think a lot of employers are of the mindset that another $5k will attract someone away from their current position, esp. in a tough economy.

In my defense, there are some perks I have that aren't reflected in my salary (for example, employer pays gas (business and personal) and car insurance = 4k per year)

How long have they worked for the company? If it's been a while you can't expect to START at something that somebody else has worked for. I'd be pissed if after a few years and a raise or 2 somebody new was hired at the same wage. Companies honor loyalty and seniority. If they got higher STARTING salaries and they were hired during this economic shit-storm then maybe I can see expecting the same. If not then I think your expectations are a little out of whack for a new hire during these times.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
How long have they worked for the company? If it's been a while you can't expect to START at something that somebody else has worked for. I'd be pissed if after a few years and a raise or 2 somebody new was hired at the same wage. Companies honor loyalty and seniority. If they got higher STARTING salaries and they were hired during this economic shit-storm then maybe I can see expecting the same. If not then I think your expectations are a little out of whack for a new hire during these times.
Actually, many companies DO NOT honor loyalty and seniority.
They pay you just enough to keep you happy and will only give you large increases if you show another job offer.
Both large companies I have worked for, in the engineering field, have paid their new hires at the current salary grade level, which is usually higher than the old grade levels plus yearly 2-3% increases.

Hell, even if you take a big promotion in responsibility and title, they usually have caps on internal increases of around 10%.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
You expect a meager 10-15% increase on every job hopping, then I think you're a REAL sucker. How do you think all those rich people/executives climbed the ladder at such young age?

If you jumped from $44k to $75k in one job switch it means either you made a jump to a job that was substantially different from your previous one, or you were horribly underpaid at your previous one.

For somebody that is jumping between jobs that have comparable responsibilities and their current employer isn't paying below market value for their skills a 10-15% increase is pretty reasonable.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
If you jumped from $44k to $75k in one job switch it means either you made a jump to a job that was substantially different from your previous one, or you were horribly underpaid at your previous one.

For somebody that is jumping between jobs that have comparable responsibilities and their current employer isn't paying below market value for their skills a 10-15% increase is pretty reasonable.

Comparable job, yea. But by the time you're looking for a new job, you've worked at the current one for 2-3 years. You shouldn't look for a similar position ideally... go for the one level higher.

Especially in your 20s/30s.

Apr 17, 2003
I've never given a salary history for a job. I've done research and known what the market rate was and asked for what I thought was reasonable.

Except for my current job where I was contacted before the interview and told "This job pays X. Are you still interested in a interview?"

Some of the positions, including this current one, requires it (i.e. "resumes without salary history will NOT be considered")

Apr 17, 2003
Are you always 100% 'honest' with your salary?

Well it's not that I'm not honest, I simply omit. I've observed while interviewing that any respectable companies don't give a shit how much you made prior. They just want to see how capable you are and just negotiate within THEIR range of the position.

Real life scenario:

I was making a meager 44K in my prior job. I interviewed for a new one and when asked I simply omitted respectfully. Afterwards, I landed the 75K job in similar field, on managerial level.

I completely agree with the bolded part. I wouldn't give up my current job for 10% (too many perks and upsides that the 10% wouldn't cover).

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
same experience, same graduation year, etc.

It's like the value of stock in the stock market. The value of the stock depends on whether it's a buyer's market or a seller's market. The same is true in employment. Right now, because everybody and their brother and their brother's brother's brother is unemployed or something, employers have the pick of the litter. They have a very broad range of potential employees to choose from (more people looking for work than there is work to be done, is one way to put ot) and can therefore be more selective about who they hire and for how much than they would be in a market where they have work to be done and nobody looking to apply. In that scenario, you'd have much more bargaining power as a potential new-hire and they'd have to try harder to get you instead of watching you walk out the front door to the 10 other job offers you have that offer more money.

The folks who already work there might have gotten in when times were better.

Either way, the company you're trying to get a job with has more bargaining power than you do in today's market.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I completely agree with the bolded part. I wouldn't give up my current job for 10% (too many perks and upsides that the 10% wouldn't cover).

Same here. The perks and lack of stress I get with my job would require a massive pay increase to consider leaving. I wouldn't even listen to an offer for less than 150% of what I make now.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009

I would have to agree with this as well. Current perks definitely outweigh a 10% bump. If I am comfortable where I am at, that alone is worth a lot and a 10% bump just wouldn't cut it.

However, if present working conditions were driving me nuts, and I felt the only way they would improve is if I were at another place, then a 5-10% bump might be enough to get me out of my current job.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Some of the positions, including this current one, requires it (i.e. "resumes without salary history will NOT be considered")

Yes, I've run into those. I still don't give them the information. My credentials will either be good enough or they wont. Many job postings have requirements that while they sound real are not.

For example, I do not have the experience or the degree to even be considered for the job I currently have. But I had the technical and personal skills and showed during the interview.

If it truly is a requirement and they throw out those who don't give it, then they are already looking to screw you from day one. Do you really want to work for a company that is already planning to screw you?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Yes, I've run into those. I still don't give them the information. My credentials will either be good enough or they wont. Many job postings have requirements that while they sound real are not.

For example, I do not have the experience or the degree to even be considered for the job I currently have. But I had the technical and personal skills and showed during the interview.

If it truly is a requirement and they throw out those who don't give it, then they are already looking to screw you from day one. Do you really want to work for a company that is already planning to screw you?

I agree with this advice 100%. If a company says that a salary history is a "requirement" in their job posting, I do one of two things:

1. I move on to the next posting.
2. I apply anyway and don't provide it.

Again, your salary history is none of their business. As I mentioned earlier, the company knows what the range for the position they're hiring is, and if they were interested in "weeding people out" based on salary, they'd just post the range. What they're trying to do instead is hope someone comes in well below their range so they can screw them over.

I actually had someone (during an interview, IIRC) ask me my salary history. I looked at her and said "How much do you make?" She looked shocked and told me it wasn't really my business or important. I said "Exactly. Next question?"

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
There are people in this country starving right now including children unemployment is at an all time high and it will only get worse. You are complaining about getting a job offer that pays more then your current one. If you don't like it then tell them how much you are looking for. :thumbsdown:

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Now you learned a valuable lesson. You don't give out salary history. The only companies that will insist on having it are places that just want to get the absolute cheapest people to do the job, and that's not a place that you should want to work at.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Never, ever give a number first. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose by doing so.

And 20% bump is the norm to convince somebody to change jobs.