Ex democratic congressman Jefferson convicted

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
IMHO and sadly, we should note that William Jefferson used endless legal dodges to keep from going to trial for about four long years.

And now that Jefferson stands convicted on 11 of 16 counts, how many more damn years before that rascal sees the inside of a jail cell where he belongs? I would not be surprised to see him stall it out another four years or so.

There is something clearly wrong with our criminal justice system, maybe we should not rush to judgment, but crawling to judgment at less than the speed of a snail is also wrong.

ccbadd

Jan 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: JS80
Question. If Jefferson were Republican, would the headline and first sentence say:

Republican Ex-Rep. Jefferson Convicted in Bribery Scheme
Former Republican Representative William J. Jefferson was convicted Wednesday afternoon

Try better to troll next time.

SAME papers headline when republican Stevens was convicted.

"Alaska Senator Is Guilty Over His Failures to Disclose Gifts "

In fact they did not even mention he was a republican, just that he was running against a democrat. Yet they said jefferson was a Dem in the second paragraph.

So seems it is the Dems that got more raw deal by your standards.

Dumbass, Republicans turned him in!

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE

but, but, but, Only REPUBLIRATS are corrupt

The only ones who would say that are Republirats. Democrats (and Demorats) know better. :)

Oh that's a load of crap. Every left leaning poster on this forum thinks their shit doesn't stink and that only Republicans do shiesty deals and are corrupt.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

The only ones who would say that are Republirats. Democrats (and Demorats) know better. :)

Oh that's a load of crap. Every left leaning poster on this forum thinks their shit doesn't stink and that only Republicans do shiesty deals and are corrupt.

As someone who has occassionally been considered a 'liberal' here, you are a liar.

I understand that to the irrational partisan, making crap up like you do is essential to your continuing your ideological delusions - the Democrats must act like you say they do.

I've never defended Jefferson, other than to say that the situation was limited to the evidence making it look extremely likely he was guilty but we should wait for trial.

And now, I'm saying this is outstanding that a man who did such wrong was held accountable - the same point whether it's Democrat Jeffferson or a Republican.

Corrupt Democrats - and I say they exist - do stink, in contrast to your lie about 'every left-leaning member'. I say not only Republicans are corrupt, in contrast to your lie.

It's ironic that these ideologues are the ones actually being partisan when it comes to holding people accountable, but are the same people who accuse others of that falsely.

In fact, not only are you lying, Lebowski, when you say every left-leaning member deny any Democrat does wrong - it's the opposite so far in this thread.

Every 'left-leaning member' who has posted has praised the conviction of this criminal.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Good to see.

Oh, and yet another left leaner to refute Lebowski's supposition. :)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Lemon law
IMHO and sadly, we should note that William Jefferson used endless legal dodges to keep from going to trial for about four long years.

And now that Jefferson stands convicted on 11 of 16 counts, how many more damn years before that rascal sees the inside of a jail cell where he belongs? I would not be surprised to see him stall it out another four years or so.

There is something clearly wrong with our criminal justice system, maybe we should not rush to judgment, but crawling to judgment at less than the speed of a snail is also wrong.

yeap its fricken disgusting. hope this guy gets to know bubba really well.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

Please... this kind of thing is implied here all of the time, regardless of the convicted's party affiliation :roll: . One partisan tries to exploit the circumstances (in this case, MikeMike), then another partisan rolls in to say their party would never sink to such lows (in this case, you). Wash, rinse, repeat.

Text

The culture of corruption in the GOP must stop.

holy shit!! a republican doing something corrupt? wow, i can't believe it... that NEVER happens...

Everyone's shit stinks, and everyone thinks theirs doesn't.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
It will be intersting in where he gets sent to serve his sentence.
Club Fed or Rock Breaker hotel?

stateofbeasley

Jan 26, 2004
Good riddance. I'm just happy another corrupt politician is going to jail. Hopefully we'll see more convictions in New Jersey, which is probably tied with Louisiana in amount of corruption.

Originally posted by: JS80
Question. If Jefferson were Republican, would the headline and first sentence say:

Former Republican Representative William J. Jefferson was convicted Wednesday afternoon

The extreme right wing here at P&N is full of trolls and dummies.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
he has been sentenced to 13 years in prison
ALEXANDRIA, Va. — A former Louisiana congressman who famously stashed cash in his freezer was sentenced Friday to 13 years in prison for taking hundreds of thousands in bribes in exchange for using his influence to broker business deals in Africa.
The sentence handed down in suburban Washington was far less than the nearly 30 years prosecutors had sought for William Jefferson, a Democrat who represented parts of New Orleans for nearly 20 years.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iXK-8LSR0NFCKOLqi8l-UU14rr3wD9BUU8PO0

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Wow! Not that I don't think he deserved it, but . . . I keep thinking about the guys in Vermont who have raped children hundreds of times and get three years, or six months, or even probation . . . Or that crazy astronaut chick in the diaper that attacked and tried to kidnap a woman dating her love interest, who got house arrest . . . Or the stripper in Carolina that cried gang rape and almost ruined three young men's lives and didn't even get prosecuted . . .

Justice ain't blind, it's bat shit crazy.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
It will be intersting in where he gets sent to serve his sentence.
Club Fed or Rock Breaker hotel?

Butner Federal Correctional Complex is a likely destination.

They seem to get the non-violent money-grubbing scum types and general dumb-asses to society like Jonathan Pollard.

I believe Bernie Madoff is also a guest for the next 150 years.

I'm thinking Jefferson will be serving 6-7 of those years with Bernie

:p

=

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well Jefferson led us on a merry chase for too damn many years, now how much longer before that cell door slams shut? I for one hope its zero days, but have to question those sadists who advocate letting Bubba have his ass.

Should we empower sexual sadists in our prison system as a measure of our justice system?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Depends on the news station. If Jefferson was a Republican, and it was on Fox news, the headline would read:

Democrat Ex-Rep. Jefferson Convicted in Bribery Scheme
Former Democrat Representative William J. Jefferson was convicted Wednesday afternoon

;)

Either way, fuck that guy and let him rot. Any corrupt pol needs to be tossed, R or D.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Should we empower sexual sadists in our prison system as a measure of our justice system?
High-ranking politicians wouldn't get sent to a prison where they'd meet Bubba in the first place. Not because politicians are too good to go to such a place, but because of security concerns. If Bubba harbors a deep hatred and resentment towards authority figures and assaults, or even murders this Jefferson fella... Well, it wouldn't look good, to say the least.

One can only wonder what drives a person to take bribes and break the law when he's already one of the top-ranking people in the pecking order, with a correspondingly huge paycheck no doubt. Why isn't enough enough for these guys?

I can only conclude Jefferson must be some kind of sociopath, who for psychological reasons simply can't be satisfied with a normal lot in life, and also probably lacks any form of moral compass that would inhibit criminal tendencies while he's supposedly working for the public good.

You'd think if he wasn't fucked up in his mind, he'd be able to realize that he stands a lot more to lose than he might gain by becoming a criminal...

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

C'mon, that ain't necessary.

The dude was a complete turd. If the democrats admit it, there's no reason to be nasty.

On a side note, my wife's family was represented in court by Jefferson's replacement!

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes he has, but the appeals process will now start and who knows he may get a reprieve on a technicality. Always seem to happen to scumbags like him.

I really don't like the word 'technicality'. Frequently 'getting off on a technicality' is actually legal shorthand for 'had your Constitutional rights violated'.

I also liked the usual poorly informed conservative shrieking by other posters about the media that turns out to be wrong (yet again).

That all being said, fuck this guy. Not only is he a criminal, he's a shitty criminal. Who puts their bribe money in the freezer? Even if he is able to appeal his sentence down if nothing else we've at least kicked his stupid ass out of Congress.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
C'mon, that ain't necessary.

The dude was a complete turd. If the democrats admit it, there's no reason to be nasty.

On a side note, my wife's family was represented in court by Jefferson's replacement!

Another interesting note on the whole thing is that even though his district was won by a Republican for the first time in I-don't-even-know how long, that replacement was the lone Republican 'yes' vote on the health care bill.