Ex democratic congressman Jefferson convicted

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
After doing everything human possible to avoid it, ex congressman Jefferson was finally forced to submit to a trial and got convicted on 11 of 16 counts.

Now come the appeals, nothing about a sentencing date, but still, IMHO, a fine end for bad rubbish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08...jefferson.html?_r=1&hp

How much longer can Jefferson stay out of a jail cell, even as a partisan democrat, I hope not much longer. Justice has been delayed far too long, we should all have zero tolerance for corrupt public officials.

And I certainly hope Jefferson is jailed while pending appeal. Justice demands it.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
After doing everything human possible to avoid it, ex congressman Jefferson was finally forced to submit to a trial and got convicted on 11 of 16 counts.

Now come the appeals, nothing about a sentencing date, but still, IMHO, a fine end for bad rubbish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08...jefferson.html?_r=1&hp

How much longer can Jefferson stay out of a jail cell, even as a partisan democrat, I hope not much longer. Justice has been delayed far too long, we should all have zero tolerance for corrupt public officials.

And I certainly hope Jefferson is jailed while pending appeal. Justice demands it.

Agreed!

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
this guy was a tool. It's always the biggest douches in person that turn out like this.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
Looks like Jefferson's movin' on down....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But but but, he gets that chance to move to that big house, three square meals a day,
free room and board, and the companionship can't be beat.

Birds of a feather flock together although seasonal migrations options are rather limited.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But but but, he gets that chance to move to that big house, three square meals a day,

Birds of a feather flock together although seasonal migrations options are rather limited.

You are on a roll, Lemon!

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

:D

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE

but, but, but, Only REPUBLIRATS are corrupt

The only ones who would say that are Republirats. Democrats (and Demorats) know better. :)

But he probably misses his freezer full of cash. :p

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Question. If Jefferson were Republican, would the headline and first sentence say:

Republican Ex-Rep. Jefferson Convicted in Bribery Scheme
Former Republican Representative William J. Jefferson was convicted Wednesday afternoon

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: JS80
Question. If Jefferson were Republican, would the headline and first sentence say:

Former Republican Representative William J. Jefferson was convicted Wednesday afternoon

Try better to troll next time.

SAME papers headline when republican Stevens was convicted.

"Alaska Senator Is Guilty Over His Failures to Disclose Gifts "

In fact they did not even mention he was a republican, just that he was running against a democrat. Yet they said jefferson was a Dem in the second paragraph.

So seems it is the Dems that got more raw deal by your standards.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

First sentence mentions he's a republican.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

Can you read? Show me where it says that...

"WASHINGTON ? Senator Ted Stevens, Alaska?s dominant political figure for more than four decades, was found guilty on Monday by a jury of violating federal ethics laws for failing to report tens of thousands of dollars in gifts and services he had received from friends."

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

On Fox News it would say:

Ex-Rep William J. Jefferson (D)

... by mistake of course.

But anyway, :thumbsup: at the convictions, and hopefully he'll be off to prison some time this year.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

"WASHINGTON ? Senator Ted Stevens, Alaska?s dominant political figure for more than four decades, was found guilty on Monday by a jury of violating federal ethics laws for failing to report tens of thousands of dollars in gifts and services he had received from friends."

sorry i don't have a subscription, all i see is

Alaska Senator Is Guilty Over His Failures to Disclose Gifts
By NEIL A. LEWIS
Published: October 28, 2008
Calling the verdict ?unjust,? Ted Stevens, the Senate?s longest-serving Republican, asked voters to re-elect him.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

"WASHINGTON ? Senator Ted Stevens, Alaska?s dominant political figure for more than four decades, was found guilty on Monday by a jury of violating federal ethics laws for failing to report tens of thousands of dollars in gifts and services he had received from friends."[/quote]

Omigod, can't you see it!?! Can't you see it!!!!!!

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

The word, Republican first appears in the twelfth paragraph of the Stevens story, and it isn't even about Stevens. The word, Democrat is in the second paragraph of the story about Jefferson... But who's counting. ;)

Article Tools Sponsored By
By NEIL A. LEWIS
Published: October 27, 2008

WASHINGTON ? Senator Ted Stevens, Alaska?s dominant political figure for more than four decades, was found guilty on Monday by a jury of violating federal ethics laws for failing to report tens of thousands of dollars in gifts and services he had received from friends.

The jury of District of Columbia residents convicted Mr. Stevens, 84, on all seven felony counts he faced in connection with charges that he knowingly failed to list on Senate disclosure forms the receipt of some $250,000 in gifts and services used to renovate his home in Girdwood, Alaska.

Mr. Stevens, a consistently grim-faced figure, frowned more deeply as the verdict was delivered by the jury foreman, a worker at a drug counseling center. Mr. Stevens?s wife and one of his daughters sat glumly behind him in the courtroom.

In a statement issued after he had left the courthouse, Mr. Stevens was defiant, urging Alaskans to re-elect him to a seventh full term next week.

He blamed what he called repeated misconduct by federal prosecutors for the verdict. ?I will fight this unjust verdict with every ounce of energy I have,? he said.

?I am innocent. This verdict is the result of the unconscionable manner in which the Justice Department lawyers conducted this trial,? he said. ?I ask that Alaskans and my Senate colleagues stand with me as I pursue my rights. I remain a candidate for the United States Senate.?

Nonetheless, the verdict is widely expected to write an end to Mr. Stevens?s long political career, which has moved in tandem with his state?s rough-and-tumble journey from a remote territory to an economic powerhouse.

Mr. Stevens was instrumental in promoting statehood for Alaska when he was a young Interior Department official in the Eisenhower administration and then went on to represent the state in the Senate for 40 years. Over that time, he used his steadily accumulated influence over federal spending, notably using his membership on the Appropriations Committee, to steer millions, perhaps billions, of dollars in federal money to his home state.

The verdict comes a week before a second jury of sorts, the voters of Alaska, will decide whether to return him to the Senate or elect his Democratic opponent, Mayor Mark Begich of Anchorage. After Mr. Stevens?s indictment in July, he asked for a quick trial so he might clear his name before Election Day.

If Mr. Stevens loses his seat, the trial?s implications could be felt on a broad political scale, helping Democrats in their drive to win enough seats in the Senate to give them a filibuster-proof majority of at least 60 votes. Within an hour of the verdict?s becoming public, Democrats in Senate races around the country immediately sought to make the conviction an issue for their opponents, demanding that those who had received money from Mr. Stevens, who was generous with contributions to his colleagues, return it.

If Mr. Stevens wins and insists on keeping his seat, his fate will be in the hands of his Senate colleagues. A senator can be expelled only by a two-thirds vote of the entire Senate, so a conviction does not automatically cost a lawmaker his seat. Since 1789, only 15 senators have been expelled, most for supporting the Confederacy during the Civil War, the Senate Web site states.

In 1982, the Senate Ethics Committee recommended that Senator Harrison A. Williams, Democrat of New Jersey, be expelled because of his conviction on bribery, conspiracy and conflict of interest charges in the Abscam scandal, and in 1995 the committee recommended the expulsion of Senator Robert W. Packwood, Republican of Oregon, for sexual misconduct. Both men resigned before the full Senate could vote.
(continues)[/b]

And of course, no one mentions how many times Faux News has run a pic of a Republican who got caught with a very prominent "D" next to his name. :Q

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

sorry i don't have a subscription, all i see is

By NEIL A. LEWIS
Published: October 28, 2008
Calling the verdict ?unjust,? Ted Stevens, the Senate?s longest-serving Republican, asked voters to re-elect him.

:confused:

You don;t need to log in. Juts click the link. Several others have and have had no problem.

Take the Faux troll glass's off.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
This is good. Corrupt is corrupt...I don't give a fuck WHAT political party they belong to. ANY politician who's convicted on corruption charges deserves life in prison. Hell, I would't object if political corruption carried the death penalty. They steal far more than money...they steal our confidence in the system.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I just came here to post this. This guy and his family are corrupt as hell, and it's nice to see them going down. Maybe one day Louisiana will get cleaned up.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Actually the guy is a REPUBLICAN! Until he got caught and then said he's a DEMOCRAT! Or is it the other way around? Anyways, we have to report this to the WH for he's spreading something fishy about DEMS! And then they're wondering why New Orleans still hasn't recovered from Katrina!

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Anyone see dmcowen674 around here? Oh wait the thread is about a democrat... nevermind.