EVO battery life = t3h suxs!

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Woke off and took my phone off the charger, I took 4 pictures, couldn't have been more than 3 minutues of the LCD being on, and my battery was at 90%. So I googled this and of of course the threads on XDA are a billion pages long and of course nothing is stickied. I gathered that having PRI 1.90 on my phone is part of the problem, so I downloaded 1.7 (haven't flashed it yet) and that I need a new kernel, apparently Netarchy & King #9 are good. instead of reading thru 800 pages of posts on XDA I was hoping somebody on here could post what they did to get the battery life. My phone's just about unusable in the current state. I can kill 20% of the battery by sending a few texts and checking my email a few times (25 minutes top)

Running the latest Warm TwoPointTwo without SetCPU. And I have 4g totally disabled, and only turn on 3g/wifi when I need it.

Last edited:

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
PRI 1.90 KILLED battery life on my EVO. I went back to 1.77 (I think) and that fixed things for me.

The biggest thing I've seen that affects battery life on Android phones is data sync, under "Settings", "Accounts & Sync Settings", "Auto-Sync". Unless you need data services for things like email notifications or other updates, you can probably uncheck this. This setting doesn't affect much of anything in my daily usage patterns since I can refresh my two email and one Gmail accounts as needed--I don't need the instant notifications.

Other stuff that might help:

--I have 4G disabled and 3G always on. I also have my phone set to look for wi-fi networks and automatically connect to known networks. Some people say this uses battery but I don't think it's enough to matter.
--I have GPS enabled since it doesn't seem to be a battery hog unless it's actually in use.
--I don't use bluetooth at all.
--Screen brightness set to about 25-30%.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'll look at the sync thing, I didn't even think about that. I just flashed the 1.77 PRI.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Didn't know what PRI was, so googled it. Does CM7 update to a newer PRI or does the process make it 1.34?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
with PRI 1.77 a new kernel and data sync disabled I think my battery life is actually worse. I was texting, it was at 76% 5 minutes later tops it was down to 73%. Had everything minus 3g turned off. Figuring out what's causing the drain is madness. Sitting in my pocket I lost 5% in 30 minutes and I didn't even touch the phone.

netarchy-toastmod-4.3.4-cfs-nohavs-suv-nosbc-universal-signed is the kernel I was recommended to try. I guess I'll try the other Netarchy kernels.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I got a great joke for you guys!

Android battery life.

RIMSHOT!

lol my Moto Droid had good battery life, but with this EVO it's like HTC made their top priority to drain the battery as quickly as possible. I can't even fathom how it would be even worse if I actually had 4g on.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I got a great joke for you guys!

Android battery life.

RIMSHOT!

You never stop.

If you want great battery life on an Android phone, there's many choices. Want a slide-out keyboard? There's many choices. Want stock Android? There's choices. Want Sense skin? There's choices.

It's called choice. I know you're not familiar with that but some of us are.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
You never stop.

If you want great battery life on an Android phone, there's many choices. Want a slide-out keyboard? There's many choices. Want stock Android? There's choices. Want Sense skin? There's choices.

It's called choice. I know you're not familiar with that but some of us are.

Its a joke. I am sure his situation isnt indicative of every android phone.

It does bring up a valid point about how much shit most (not all) android users have to go thru to get respectable battery life.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Stock EVO here getting 12+ hours of life on stock battery.

4G disabled. WIFI on..GPS On.. Synch Company mail.

works great. ..
can hardly wait for the EVO3D though.. as the battery life reports on the new Sensation are very very positive..

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
12+ hours with what kind of usage though? I don't know if I could get 12 hours if I left it on my desk all day. Weird. Maybe my phone's defective, either that or an app I installed is always running and draining my battery like crazy.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
12+ hours with what kind of usage though? I don't know if I could get 12 hours if I left it on my desk all day. Weird. Maybe my phone's defective, either that or an app I installed is always running and draining my battery like crazy.

heavy... and use I use an advanced task killer to kill everything non essential.

phone calls. surfing.. texting.. GPS usage..

gaming will absolutely kill it FAST though.. so will pictures.
found a new game today that I killed the battery in less than 2 hours of non stop gaming..

BTW check out a free game called Drag Racing.. bad freaking ass lol!

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
we have a different opinion of heavy I think. The iPhone 4 barely gets 12 hours with heavy usage and that phone ranks at the top for battery life. My Droid couldn't get 12 hours on it's best day.

hummm.

iahk

Jan 19, 2002
Didn't know what PRI was, so googled it. Does CM7 update to a newer PRI or does the process make it 1.34?

AOSP roms don't handle your PRI or PRL, you have to do that manually. Flash PRI updates in recovery and update PRL and profiles in a sense rom.

PRI 1.77 and 1.90 are pretty much the same for me on battery life. I could get out 20-22hrs with netarchy's kernel. But obviously YMMV always. Nobody uses their phone the same or has the same exact signal everywhere.

I got 20-22hrs in wifi covered areas, and mostly full cell signal.

Before, I used to work in a building that killed cell signal.. had some areas in the building that had no signal at all. I'd be lucky if I got 12hrs on that. I'd say more around 10hr battery life.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
we have a different opinion of heavy I think. The iPhone 4 barely gets 12 hours with heavy usage and that phone ranks at the top for battery life. My Droid couldn't get 12 hours on it's best day.

hummm.

guess not.. and Ive been accused of being way too addicted to my phone..
guess they haven't met you =P

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
with PRI 1.77 a new kernel and data sync disabled I think my battery life is actually worse. I was texting, it was at 76% 5 minutes later tops it was down to 73%. Had everything minus 3g turned off. Figuring out what's causing the drain is madness. Sitting in my pocket I lost 5% in 30 minutes and I didn't even touch the phone.

netarchy-toastmod-4.3.4-cfs-nohavs-suv-nosbc-universal-signed is the kernel I was recommended to try. I guess I'll try the other Netarchy kernels.

I used an earlier version of that netarchy kernel (cfs, nohavs, nosbc) when I ran Warm RLS5. I could typically get a full day's use with no problems (~4-5 hours with screen on reading RSS feeds or browsing websites while listening to podcasts or music, coupled with a few short phone calls, 5-10 texts and occasionally updating my apps through the Market).

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
my battery is fine, sometimes it goes nuts but its always because of a program i just installed. in those cases, uninstalling those programs always solved my battery problem. my phone lasts 2 days with normal use, which is 95% standby and 5% voice/data use.

i do have cwm and have a "custom" rom installed but i believe its only a basic ota update that i didnt want to wait for. 3.70.651.1. my pri is 1.90_003.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I noticed my processor speed is always maxed after installing set CPU. Trying to find out if this is normal or not. I know with my Droid it would constantly scale back if nothing was tasking it.
Also don't know if this means the CPU is actually getting high usage or not. Just know it won't scale back at all.

Sorry. Forgot to mention. I'm on CM7 with a tiamat kernel.
The one thing I did that was beneficial, was to run the vipermod script to undervolt. Seems to help a bit.
however I am not getting anything that resembles a great battery life.

sent from the future using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Your phone drops to 90% right when taking it off the charger because the stock behavior is to charge to 100%, then turn off charging entirely, and not begin charging again until the phone hits 90%. So if you charge overnight, chances are you've hit 100% and drained to 90. SBC attempts to trickle charge, but some people say it can damage the battery or possibly cause a fire. I don't know whether that's true.

At work, I keep a $8 blackberry charger I got on Amazon (Prime), so it doesn't really matter. I also use the extended battery (3500mAh brick).

As far as losing a lot of battery fast while the phone screen is off, do you have Google Talk logged in? That tends to be a bit of a hog. If not, install Spare Parts (if you run CM7 you already have it) and check to see if any apps are logging a lot of Partial Wake Usage.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
Checkout savagedzen kernel... that combined with cm7 = awesome battery life

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Your phone drops to 90% right when taking it off the charger because the stock behavior is to charge to 100%, then turn off charging entirely, and not begin charging again until the phone hits 90%. So if you charge overnight, chances are you've hit 100% and drained to 90. SBC attempts to trickle charge, but some people say it can damage the battery or possibly cause a fire. I don't know whether that's true.

At work, I keep a $8 blackberry charger I got on Amazon (Prime), so it doesn't really matter. I also use the extended battery (3500mAh brick).

As far as losing a lot of battery fast while the phone screen is off, do you have Google Talk logged in? That tends to be a bit of a hog. If not, install Spare Parts (if you run CM7 you already have it) and check to see if any apps are logging a lot of Partial Wake Usage.

Hummm I am running Google Talk and I really don't need it I'll see if killing that helps. Ugh I wish I could just C+A+D and see what's using CPU so I know what I need to uninstall or change a setting for.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I noticed my processor speed is always maxed after installing set CPU. Trying to find out if this is normal or not. I know with my Droid it would constantly scale back if nothing was tasking it.
Also don't know if this means the CPU is actually getting high usage or not. Just know it won't scale back at all.

Sorry. Forgot to mention. I'm on CM7 with a tiamat kernel.
The one thing I did that was beneficial, was to run the vipermod script to undervolt. Seems to help a bit.
however I am not getting anything that resembles a great battery life.

sent from the future using Tapatalk

Have you tried the different profiles for SetCPU in the main menu? try conservative. That's a good one for saving power and will only max CPU power when needed.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Have you tried the different profiles for SetCPU in the main menu? try conservative. That's a good one for saving power and will only max CPU power when needed.
Didn't work. Only time it wasn't maxed out was if I put in on power saver, but we all know what that does.
Went and tried Warm 2.2, looks good so far. Reloaded apps and settings, so far great battery life compared to my CM7 try.
Also running Netarchy kernel, nosbc, HAVS.

Cons of Warm 2.2:
-Horrible font. Going back to stock font NOW.
-HTC Contact befuddlement. F me sideways, I had to re add some contacts after linking BS.
-The dark themed keyboard needs an option to go stock HTC theme. Way to ruin a good keyboard.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
In general, I've noticed better battery life on close to stock Sense ROMs than CM7. I can't speak for all AOSP since I haven't tried any others. It has to be in the kernel, since CM is 100% AOSP, as they don't want to touch any copyright issues on HTC's non-GPL modules.

It does get to a point where you suck it up and realize the Evo does have shitty battery life, especially if it's your first Smartphone, or at least the first Android device you've owned. I came from a Palm Centro, which had half the capabilities with twice the battery life. I ended up buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocel.../dp/B003SNIR7Y

And this, for the office:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Charger-Ad.../dp/B0047EOBRS

(Note: $8 with Prime for an OEM HTC charger is good)

I'm just thinking the next smartphone I buy will have better battery life, since I will shop on that. When the Evo came out, it was the best product on the market (without question, IMHO) and you kind of had to take what you got with it.

That said, if I don't use my phone, it doesn't drain the battery too fast. Meaning, I think it's the large screen and radios that do it. I also have terrible reception at the office and constantly switch between 3G/1xRTT and Sprint/Verizon (Roam). That is not good for battery life. If that's happening to you, consider turning roaming off and forcing the phone to 1X (2G) when you're not using it for browsing.

Google Talk eats battery. Turn that off, esp if you have the signal issues I mentioned.

Beyond that, install SpareParts and check for partial wake usage. Some apps are awful with waking the phone. Palmary Weather was one that was killing me - and it's a damn weather widget!

Last edited: