EVO battery life = t3h suxs!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
It does get to a point where you suck it up and realize the Evo does have shitty battery life, especially if it's your first Smartphone, or at least the first Android device you've owned. I came from a Palm Centro, which had half the capabilities with twice the battery life.

LOL, I know, I can safely say I've never told anyone anything but that the EVO battery life sucks, and I went with a ThunderBolt that has even worse battery life :)

I have a handful of extra chargers and have installed large capacity batteries on both of them, the EVO battery is at least not as much of a brick as the ThunderBolt's...

All that being said, for daily use, 4G makes little sense unless you're tethering. In daily driver use, I see very little difference between real world 3G VS 4G advantage. Just turn off the 4G radio and you have much better battery life. My EVO can go a couple of days on light use with just the 3G radio turned on.

The Thunderbolt is essentially a 4G hotspot soldered onto a phone, love it or hate it, the signal kicks ass, but the battery life sucks. I have to be careful even using the extended battery with my ThunderBolt, I always have a charger in my bag just in case.

Navigation will suck your battery dry too, I swear the drain is greater than the charge wven when I have either of these phones charging in my car with navigation running.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
It does get to a point where you suck it up and realize the Evo does have shitty battery life, especially if it's your first Smartphone, or at least the first Android device you've owned.

The EVO is my first Android model. I came from the Palm Pre which was my first smartphone that made the EVO look like it lasts weeks on a single charge. The EVO is heavenly in terms of battery life, in comparison.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Navigation will suck your battery dry too, I swear the drain is greater than the charge wven when I have either of these phones charging in my car with navigation running.

you can find 12v usb power adapters that put out enough juice to keep a navigating phone topped up, they're just not all that common. the much more common 500ma adapters aren't enough.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
you can find 12v usb power adapters that put out enough juice to keep a navigating phone topped up, they're just not all that common. the much more common 500ma adapters aren't enough.

Will keep my eye out for one, thanks...

iahk

Jan 19, 2002
The EVO is my first Android model. I came from the Palm Pre which was my first smartphone that made the EVO look like it lasts weeks on a single charge. The EVO is heavenly in terms of battery life, in comparison.

Oh god the memories. I also came from the Palm Pre. But I had the Touch Pro before that. The Palm Pre was heavenly compared to that god awful Touch Pro.. software AND hardware. But my god, that Palm Pre battery made me think someone was punking me.

albie_latedroid

May 31, 2011
Hi, just wanted to quickly point out that Evo fellas are reporting good improvements in battery life on JuiceDefender's FB page.

JuiceDefender is a battery saver for Android devices.
Simply put, what it does is it optimizes battery consumptions by automatically managing the power-draining components of the phone (GPS, Wifi and a bunch of other things), so that they are used only when needed, rather than left running all the time for no particular purpose - like when the phone is idle/not being used.

On top of that, for those who prefer to tweak and play with advanced settings, JuiceDefender gives access and full control over loads of energy saving options otherwise unavailable (advanced schedule controls, background sync, configurable apps, CPU frequency control, the list goes on).

It's just a great tool to improve the energy-efficiency of Android devices.

Hoped this helps!