EVGA GTX 260 216 owners

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Curious what I can push my 2 to.

Oh, Im rusty in the OC business, what are good programs to run to test stability nowdays?

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Bios modded Tri-Sli vanilla EVGA core 216's:
675 core 1446 shader 1125 mem
The guys in TechPowerUp forum are finding the 216's top out around 726/1500, but that's with 1.18v applied in the bios. Not touching bios, you *should* be able to hit my oc's no problem..

Everyone seems to agree, EVGA's Precision software is the oc tool of choice. I just prefer to mod the bios. ATI tools or Furmark for stability?

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
WHy are the clocks so low on the gtx 260 cards?
My 9800gtx is slower but it has way faster clocks except for the memory

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Bman123
WHy are the clocks so low on the gtx 260 cards?
My 9800gtx is slower but it has way faster clocks except for the memory

Lower on GT200 cards due to gpu size. GT200 is a 1.4 billion transistor gpu. Can't clock as high. Speculation is the 55nm version will clock higher

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I got my vanilla evga gtx 260 c216 to 710/1500/1200(2400 DDR) stable, but when I bumped it up to 750/1525/1250 I got a BSOD after playing ETQW for a while. Both settings had fan at 80%

I am wondering what is the best way to up the voltage a bit in bios? what programs would one use? Would be nice to get a little more OC out of mine.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Shmee
I got my vanilla evga gtx 260 c216 to 710/1500/1200(2400 DDR) stable, but when I bumped it up to 750/1525/1250 I got a BSOD after playing ETQW for a while. Both settings had fan at 80%

I am wondering what is the best way to up the voltage a bit in bios? what programs would one use? Would be nice to get a little more OC out of mine.

With no bios modding you can do 710/1500? You have a good card. My advice, don't bother. Like I mentioned, not many are successful even with voltage mod above 720ish with the 216's. They don't clock as high as regular 260's.

OP, what are your thoughts thus far? Is 675-700 1446/1500 enough of an oc for you?

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Cards have a limit. When you raise voltage you might get little bit more but that's all. You also add more heat and noise and void warranty with a bios mod for another 1fps or not even.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: SteelSix
Originally posted by: Shmee

With no bios modding you can do 710/1500? You have a good card. My advice, don't bother. Like I mentioned, not many are successful even with voltage mod above 720ish with the 216's. They don't clock as high as regular 260's.

OP, what are your thoughts thus far? Is 675-700 1446/1500 enough of an oc for you?
a lot of regular gtx260 cards cant even hit 700 from what I have heard. I keep my regular version at 650 core but it will go just over 700 without any problem.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
so far Im up to 700/1500/1300(2600) stable, wonder how far Ill be able to take it without vmod.

This cant be right, the cpu temps arent even hitting 50C... only using stop coolers.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Soccerman06
so far Im up to 700/1500/1300(2600) stable, wonder how far Ill be able to take it without vmod.

This cant be right, the cpu temps arent even hitting 50C... only using stop coolers.

The core/shader oc looks great, that mem oc is quite high though. Be on the lookout for memory artifacting, white specs I think. 1100/1200 is the avg high on mem.

Temps, did you mean stock coolers? Have you bumped fanspeed, what oc program? Idle temps should be under 50 but load should be mid 60's to low 70's. How are you measuring?

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004

The core/shader oc looks great, that mem oc is quite high though. Be on the lookout for memory artifacting, white specs I think. 1100/1200 is the avg high on mem.

Temps, did you mean stock coolers? Have you bumped fanspeed, what oc program? Idle temps should be under 50 but load should be mid 60's to low 70's. How are you measuring?

Well I'm basing this off of EVGA Percision which gives temps and shows the OC, but just doesnt seem right cause it seems to be stepping down constantly.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
If you keep Precision open and running it graphs temps. Put a load on them, exit, and check the high points to see what temps were hit. Can do the same with GPU-Z.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Yeah that was weird, I was sitting at idle settings for some reason when I was playing games, but I just reset and it works fine now and throttles up good. Ill try this again :p

Edit: weird, after testing it steps down to idle for some reason while Im playing. I tabbed out to check and I saw some error thing in the tab in the corner dealing with display driver error and was fixed, now it wont step back up without rebooting.

Im not sure but does that mean that I OC too much?

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Tabbing out seems like it could confuse the driver, 2D/3D mode switching maybe, not sure though. Best to exit game fully and check temps. What driver version are you running, and did you raise fan speeds? If you didn't, they'd run at 40% and would increase with temp increase, which is fine. Though many prefer to adjust to 55-60% using Precision. I have mine set to start at 55% through bios and ramp up if necessary, but they never do.

aclim

Oct 6, 2006
Check my sig for OC results. I just got this card this past week and it it great. I can OC it more, but im about to reformat and ill try for max OC then.

I use EVGA precision for my OC, works fantastic. I idle around 42c with my fan set to 55. In game like crysis my temps get in the high 60s, never really notice it go in the 70s. I use my g15 display to see my temps that the precision software has.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
System wont boot now for some reason, I see power from every component, but the screen doesnt recieve a signal... sigh

Went to restart the computer and clicked the padlock button instead of the shut down button. Waited like 10 seconds and nothing happened so I hit the reset button and nothing pops up on the screen now... I doubt I fried the gpus, they were working fine and hadnt changed the voltages anywhere. This is so not what I need with finals this week.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
System wont boot now for some reason, I see power from every component, but the screen doesnt recieve a signal... sigh

Went to restart the computer and clicked the padlock button instead of the shut down button. Waited like 10 seconds and nothing happened so I hit the reset button and nothing pops up on the screen now... I doubt I fried the gpus, they were working fine and hadnt changed the voltages anywhere. This is so not what I need with finals this week.

You're probably okay but I do recommend turning that memory oc down.

On your issue:

Operating System?
Driver version?
Using VGA or DVI Cable?
Do you have signal at boot (see bios screen) and see Windows loading?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007

I mis-diagnosed a bad LCD for this fairly common issue so let me do this the right way:

Operating System?
Using VGA or DVI Cable?

I had a similar problem. I used the reset button in windows and boom the computer just died. Everything worked, like fans and leds, but I wasn't receiving any signal to my monitor.

It turned out that the bios of my motherboard went bananas. RMAed my mobo and everything turned out ok.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004

On your issue:

Operating System?
Driver version?
Using VGA or DVI Cable?

Well the gpus were at 650/1550/1150 when this happened, nothing extraordinary.

Vista Ultimate SP1
single link dvi (newegg is slow)
no signal at all, the monitor doesnt acknowledge the computer.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001

On your issue:

Operating System?
Driver version?
Using VGA or DVI Cable?

Vista Ultimate SP1

So no signal at boot. I thought it may have been another issue but maybe not. For kicks, try disconnecting the power and DVI from the monitor, disconnet DVI from card, let sit for 1 min. Plug DVI ends back in first, then power to monitor. If nothing, you may also try removing both cards and reinstalling just one.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001

Vista Ultimate SP1

Those are pretty aggressive overclocks, particularly the shaders but your earlier crash/error is definitely due to overclock and heat. The 180 drivers seem to be more sensitive and will throttle down your card clocks if it senses overheating.

Try physically removing the card and resetting the CMOS on your board. If you have other PCs or another PCI card swap them and see if there's any sign of a heartbeat.