Every dark cloud has a silver lining.......

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Wheezer
WASHINGTON ? Illegal immigration, which has sparked political and social turmoil in communities across the nation, is on the wane, according to an independent report released Thursday.

The number of illegal immigrants entering the United States has slowed significantly the past few years, falling below the number of those entering the country legally for the first time in a decade, according to the report by the Pew Hispanic Center, a Washington think tank.

The report estimates there were 11.9 million illegal immigrants in the United States as of March. That would be a decline of 500,000 from the center?s estimate a year ago. However, the change was not statistically significant because of the large margins of error.

The Pew study does not address why the decrease occurred, but directors of ethnic community groups and officials of towns with large immigrant populations ? as well as other researchers ? cite stepped-up enforcement of immigration laws and the struggling economy.

"People are deciding that the risk of crossing the border ? something that has resulted in so many deaths ? and then of living here in fear of being arrested and deported, is maybe, these days, too high a price," said Tamara Morales, vice president of the Passaic-based Casa Puebla-NJ.

Morales and other community leaders in North Jersey say they have noticed more and more immigrants returning ? or seriously considering returning ? to their native countries.

Illegal immigrants are notoriously difficult to count. Many researchers, including the federal government, estimate there are about 12 million illegal immigrants in the country. That would a big increase from the start of the decade, when the Pew Hispanic Center estimated there were about 8.5 million.

Ed Durfee, a Northvale resident and member of United Patriots of America, a New Jersey-based organization that favors strict immigration policies, welcomed the news about declining illegal immigration.

"If you come here illegally and don?t do anything but take, then it?s a good thing if there?s less of them," Durfee said. "But we still have to tighten up our process so it?s not so easy to come here illegally and to stay here illegally."

Illegal immigrants make up about 30 percent of all immigrants, according to the report. Nationally, about four in five come from Latin America, with most coming from Mexico.

If a shitty economy does what the US government is unwilling or incapable of doing as far as illegal immigration....let the Dow drop like a rock.

Text

You're out of touch.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Dollar is up against the Peso and other currencies in the south so the illegals won't need to work much to send back the same amount of money as before. The emerging economies are getting rocked. There's not going to be jobs for them in their home country so it's a wash.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Since Mexico is always complaining about our immigration laws, why don't we try Mexico's immigration laws?

Link

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: StoneburnerThe entire illegal immigration argument is coded racism.

It sure is easier to label opposition to illegal immigration and mass legal immigration as excrement-grubbing racism and xenophobia than it is to address the substantive economic and environmental issues, isn't it? Wouldn't it be nice if we could just label any substantive argument we disagreed with as being "motivated by racism" and make it go away? Then we could all think touchy-feely warm-n-fuzzy politically correct thoughts instead of having to address reality.

Why do you insist on going through the song and dance routine?

More importantly, what environmental issues are you talking about? Are you saying mexicans smell bad or something?

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Originally posted by: StoneburnerThe entire illegal immigration argument is coded racism.

It sure is easier to label opposition to illegal immigration and mass legal immigration as excrement-grubbing racism and xenophobia than it is to address the substantive economic and environmental issues, isn't it? Wouldn't it be nice if we could just label any substantive argument we disagreed with as being "motivated by racism" and make it go away? Then we could all think touchy-feely warm-n-fuzzy politically correct thoughts instead of having to address reality.

More importantly, what environmental issues are you talking about? Are you saying mexicans smell bad or something?

Ouch, the fact that you don't understand what environmental issues places like my state of Arizona face due to illegal immigration is just another example of your ignorance in this thread. Are you really too dumb to realize that simplifying a complex national discussion into a racist cliche and then acknowledging you don't even know about pertinent issues relating to the debate looks like extreme douchebaggery?

It's obvious you are here simply to try and level fraudulent, callous accusations and try and make retarded attempts at hateful humor. Why are you even in this thread if not to embarrass yourself?

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
Maybe Americans become illegal immigrants themselves. Who might know the extend of economical turmoil ?

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Here is an interesting article by Samuel P. Huntington, who is the chairman of the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies and cofounder of FOREIGN POLICY.

Link

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: cwjerome

Ouch, the fact that you don't understand what environmental issues places like my state of Arizona face due to illegal immigration is just another example of your ignorance in this thread. Are you really too dumb to realize that simplifying a complex national discussion into a racist cliche and then acknowledging you don't even know about pertinent issues relating to the debate looks like extreme douchebaggery?

It's obvious you are here simply to try and level fraudulent, callous accusations and try and make retarded attempts at hateful humor. Why are you even in this thread if not to embarrass yourself?

My "douchebaggery" is fully intentional. Yours is completely unintentional as you have this silly idea that you can weasel your way out of making sense by barking inanely. I made two points initially.

1. The OP seems to have turned the "Messicans ruined the 'conomy!" argument on its head.

2. All arguments against illegal immigration are coded racism.

Now you fake umbrage and keep responding WITHOUT SUBSTANCE. So how about you either explain why you feel my statement is incorrect, or how about you kindly go to hell :)? Make no mistake, I see through your stupidity and bluster so respond seriously next time. I've already noted your responses have demonstrated poor comprehension so I'll be very blunt: SHOW ME WHY YOU DISAGREE.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: GeezerMan
Here is an interesting article by Samuel P. Huntington, who is the chairman of the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies and cofounder of FOREIGN POLICY.

Link

Huntington's academic qualifications don't mitigate the broken record quality of his claims.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999

My "douchebaggery" is fully intentional. Yours is completely unintentional as you have this silly idea that you can weasel your way out of making sense by barking inanely. I made two points initially.

1. The OP seems to have turned the "Messicans ruined the 'conomy!" argument on its head.

Now you fake umbrage and keep responding WITHOUT SUBSTANCE. So how about you either explain why you feel my statement is incorrect, or how about you kindly go to hell :)? Make no mistake, I see through your stupidity and bluster so respond seriously next time. I've already noted your responses have demonstrated poor comprehension so I'll be very blunt: SHOW ME WHY YOU DISAGREE.

On, no...the Mexicans didn't do it......idiots who don't know how to manage money properly fucked up the economy.....that goes for lenders, borrowers, and politicians....now if any one of those mentioned happen to be Mexican....then that's what they are.

and illegal immigrants are just a small piece of the puzzle in all this.

You seem to be hung up on Mexicans....there are a ton of illegals that come from South and Central America through Mexico....passing through Mexico doesn't make you Mexican...does it?

and this cryptic "code" that you speak of.....could you decipher it for us?

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

Why I disagree with you needs no explaining. "All arguments against illegal immigration are coded racism" is in itself an irrational logical fallacy. You can keep asking for "substance" and serious explanation, but I don't know how many different ways to tell you that you're FOS. Don't you understand that if your premise is flawed then there is no debate required of the conclusion?

I agree that your douchebaggery is intentional, but I submit it's a cover for your lack of basic reason. I should not have to explain to you why your "point" is impossible to verify and is purely ignorant speculation. Why do I feel like I'm holding the hand of a child?

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003

Why I disagree with you needs no explaining. "All arguments against illegal immigration are coded racism" is in itself an irrational logical fallacy.

What logical fallacy? :confused:

Oct 30, 2004

To point out that the morons who dismiss all arguments against illegal immigration and mass legal immigration as being racist are evading the real issues.

Have you ever heard of Thomas Malthus, Malthusian biology, or carrying capacity? Basically, resources such as arable farmland, clean air, clean water, land in general, and trees, etc., only exist in finite, limited quantities. So, when you increase the number of people in a given land area, you increase the demand for those resources and the strain on the environment. More people using the land and producing pollution increases the strain on the environment. It also increases the demand for resources, raising the prices for those resources while degrading the environment which in turn tends to decrease people's quality of life.

One of the problems faced by the USA is population explosion. Note that no discussion of immigration should ever occur without people's first having watched the Immigration Gumballs video.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
WhipperSnapper, Stoneburner has already been owned and has shown himself to be a blithering idiot. Further efforts to explain things to him are a waste of time.