Ever think of becoming vegetarian? NOW WITH POLL

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: jbaggins
YOu can be intelligent and name call. But anyway, I didn't want to make it personal. But I hate these kinds of responses. They remind me of the typical, uneducated American response. The reason half the world laughs at us. The reason so many people in this country can't tell the difference that Africa is a continent. The reason we still have Bush, these responses typify (sp?) exactly why MOST Americans do not like to think and have individuality. they represent fear of the mass mentality. They are counter productive to American advancements.

So I guess that makes you the typical young, uninformed, opinionated left wing liberal who is susceptible to extremist ideologies, and in general is out of touch with reality?

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
Read your posts in bold. There are PLENTY of smart people that are vegetarian, FAR, FAR smarter than you I'm sure. How can you imply that they are all idiots. Thats an idiotic statement.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wait are you actually suggesting that Evolving is relative to Meat eating? So, we would be "de-evolving" by becoming vegetarian? This is a very interesting argument. Can you expand upon this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure, look it up. There has been plenty written about this. Keep in mind that vegetarians are an extremely misguided, vocal bunch, and they've written all kinds of scientifically inaccurate junk on the subject. Vegetarians are like UFO fanatics and conspiracy theorists- they share the same kind of emotional, illogical drive that hears no reason.

Originally posted by: 91TTZ
okay now i realize you are dillusional.

You're right that there is a dillusional person in this thread, but it's not me. I'm not the one arguing against everyone in here, trying to push my morality on someone else. Take a hint.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
If you are saying that we do not need sharp teeth to tear meat, since we have knives, what about the digestion of this meat? Any special devices for this?

On one hand the argument is we were intended to do it. On the other hand you say we can employ the use of tools -- I find this to be contradictory.

If we were intended to eat it, why would we need the tools?

Originally posted by: halik
No. look at lions teeth and sharks teeth. They have a lot more sharp teeth than we have. Our teeth have EVOLVED to be sharper. I'm sure the first humans didn't have the teeth we have today.

Really, thats uneducated?

Exactly how many sharp teeth do we have and how many flat teeth?

Since you brought biology into it, i have to bring those points up. We have FLAT teeth. Most plant eating animals have FLAT teeth. So, really, if you are keeping with what we are SUPPOSED to do, before we ate meat, we were probably intended to be plant eaters.

That is a completely uneducated comment. We are omnivores, and we have both flat teeth for eating plants AND sharp canines for ripping through meat.

Eating strictly plants is not natural. So to keep what we are supposed to do, you'd eat plants and animals.

the fact that we have (any) sharp teeth dictates that we're omnivores and meant to eat meat, which is exact opposite to what you're trying to argue...

Exactly, people since a long long time ago started using struments instead of their teeth to tear up the meat. We don't need super sharp teeth anymore (we've got steak knives etc. ) That fact that we have pointy teeth at all suggest that we are omnivores.

wow, you seem to be immune to logic. Since we're OMNIVORES, we're suited to digest both meat and fiber. If we evolved to eat fiber only, we'd have stomach suited to digest fiber (like cows). If we were to eat meat only, we'd have spacialized digestion system for that.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Read your posts in bold. There are PLENTY of smart people that are vegetarian, FAR, FAR smarter than you I'm sure. How can you imply that they are all idiots. Thats an idiotic statement.

quote:

Wait are you actually suggesting that Evolving is relative to Meat eating? So, we would be "de-evolving" by becoming vegetarian? This is a very interesting argument. Can you expand upon this?

Sure, look it up. There has been plenty written about this. Keep in mind that vegetarians are an extremely misguided, vocal bunch, and they've written all kinds of scientifically inaccurate junk on the subject. Vegetarians are like UFO fanatics and conspiracy theorists- they share the same kind of emotional, illogical drive that hears no reason.

You're right that there is a dillusional person in this thread, but it's not me. I'm not the one arguing against everyone in here, trying to push my morality on someone else. Take a hint.

jesus... how old are you jbaggins?? You don't seem to grasp there arguments at all. He's talkinga bout human evolution on macro scale...

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
I have considered becomming vegetarian. First off : It is possible to live a healthy life style, in fact on average vegetarians live a much healthier life style to do the higher infusion of vegetables and fruit over meat (and oddly bread products). I took a nutrition class, so i'm not expert, just read up on a few things : but a diet with meat isn't less healthy persay. It's all about choices, and it's possible now to eat and maintain healthy balance and nutrition without meat. Their are healthy non vegetarians, and there are unhealthy vegetarians... It also depends to what extent you are 'vegetarian'. I wouldn't be vegan or anything like that. Probally most likely just cut out the red meat in my diet. I haven't givven it that much thought though.

I just enjoy meat to much to let it go :p

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
Okay lets say you've convinced me on the biological aspect.

The biological aspect was one point that you brought up.

What about the moral aspect that I brought up?

If you are saying that we do not need sharp teeth to tear meat, since we have knives, what about the digestion of this meat? Any special devices for this?

On one hand the argument is we were intended to do it. On the other hand you say we can employ the use of tools -- I find this to be contradictory.

If we were intended to eat it, why would we need the tools?

No. look at lions teeth and sharks teeth. They have a lot more sharp teeth than we have. Our teeth have EVOLVED to be sharper. I'm sure the first humans didn't have the teeth we have today.

Really, thats uneducated?

Exactly how many sharp teeth do we have and how many flat teeth?

Since you brought biology into it, i have to bring those points up. We have FLAT teeth. Most plant eating animals have FLAT teeth. So, really, if you are keeping with what we are SUPPOSED to do, before we ate meat, we were probably intended to be plant eaters.

That is a completely uneducated comment. We are omnivores, and we have both flat teeth for eating plants AND sharp canines for ripping through meat.

Eating strictly plants is not natural. So to keep what we are supposed to do, you'd eat plants and animals.

the fact that we have (any) sharp teeth dictates that we're omnivores and meant to eat meat, which is exact opposite to what you're trying to argue...

Exactly, people since a long long time ago started using struments instead of their teeth to tear up the meat. We don't need super sharp teeth anymore (we've got steak knives etc. ) That fact that we have pointy teeth at all suggest that we are omnivores.

wow, you seem to be immune to logic. Since we're OMNIVORES, we're suited to digest both meat and fiber. If we evolved to eat fiber only, we'd have stomach suited to digest fiber (like cows). If we were to eat meat only, we'd have spacialized digestion system for that.

labgeek

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2002
YOu can be intelligent and name call.

It's often used by someone who can't use their wits to present a lucid argument.

But anyway, I didn't want to make it personal.

But you did. Right off the bat too. Way to go...

(meaningless drivel removed)

The reason so many people in this country can't tell the difference that Africa is a continent.

Huh? The difference from what? Differences require 2 objects to compare. Please come back when you can present a complete thought.

The reason we still have Bush, these responses typify (sp?) exactly why MOST Americans do not like to think and have individuality.

Still a little sore are we? Hmm... Vegetarian and anti-Bush. Maybe you'd be more at home over in P&N. And it's funny that "individuality" is only defined as those thinking just like you. Just makes you go "huh?"

They are counter productive to American advancements.

Only when "advancements" means your obvious leftist agendas.

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
No, he's comparing UFO fanatics and Conspiracy theorists to Vegetarians. Thats stupid.

quote:

jesus... how old are you jbaggins?? You don't seem to grasp there arguments at all. He's talkinga bout human evolution on macro scale...

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
Its harder to gain a lot of muscle. No doubt. But you can still do it.

Originally posted by: Skoorb
No. It's hard to gain much muscle without being a carnivore.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
As i said, i eat animals because that is the natual order of things. PEr the biological argument I'm meanto to eat animals, so i will. Morility has nothing to do with it, like i said it's the natural order of things

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

The biological aspect exists in fact. He brought it up and proved it, factually.

The moral aspect exists in your head. It is a subjective matter and cannot be proven. I don't feel sorry for the things I eat.

I'm smart enough to be able to realize what I'm doing when I eat meat and come to grips with it. You seem to be just smart enough to realize what you're eating, but not smart enough to come to grips with it, so you want to radically change your diet by not eating meat.

It reminds me of a kid who wants to stop a fox from killing a rabbit. The kid has grown up enough to know what death is and doesn't want the fox to kill the rabbit. But the kid isn't yet smart enough to think about that extra step, that by denying the fox of his nutrition the kid just killed the fox.

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
Labgeek. I can put together a coherent argument. But unlike you, who posts once in 10 minutes and spell checks and grammer checks and so forth, I am posting to about 10 people at one time. Get real, and realize this is the internet. As long as its reasonably coherent, the sh*t flies.

I'm not lefty, and you can't call me anti-bush. Our troops our dying everyday in this so-called war, with no evidence of wmd. anyways, don't get me started. thats another topic for P&N. point was that this mentality is representative of the same mentality that people had when they re-elected the man. They have stopped to think.

Originally posted by: labgeek
YOu can be intelligent and name call.

It's often used by someone who can't use their wits to present a lucid argument.

But anyway, I didn't want to make it personal.

But you did. Right off the bat too. Way to go...

(meaningless drivel removed)

The reason so many people in this country can't tell the difference that Africa is a continent.

Huh? The difference from what? Differences require 2 objects to compare. Please come back when you can present a complete thought.

The reason we still have Bush, these responses typify (sp?) exactly why MOST Americans do not like to think and have individuality.

Still a little sore are we? Hmm... Vegetarian and anti-Bush. Maybe you'd be more at home over in P&N. And it's funny that "individuality" is only defined as those thinking just like you. Just makes you go "huh?"

They are counter productive to American advancements.

Only when "advancements" means your obvious leftist agendas.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
is it MORALLY CORRECT and righteous to kill a living creature just to improve the taste of your diet?

Lets assume the answer is no. Are you going to stop eating vegetables, as they too were once living?

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
Its not a question of coming to grips with it. I AM. Like an old smoker though, it takes time. Like I said, I have drastically cut down my meat intake this past month. I have gone to hosting beef burger cook offs to quitting beef 7 years ago. Have not touched it to this day. That takes discipline, especially in the face of 99 cent whoppers. I won't say I don't miss it. its hard. I eat chicken once a week now, as opposed to every day or every other day. I AM COMING TO GRIPS with it.

The biological aspect exists in fact. He brought it up and proved it, factually.

The moral aspect exists in your head. It is a subjective matter and cannot be proven. I don't feel sorry for the things I eat.

I'm smart enough to be able to realize what I'm doing when I eat meat and come to grips with it. You seem to be just smart enough to realize what you're eating, but not smart enough to come to grips with it, so you want to radically change your diet by not eating meat.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

I'm not lefty, and you can't call me anti-bush.

"They remind me of the typical, uneducated American response. The reason half the world laughs at us. The reason so many people in this country can't tell the difference that Africa is a continent. The reason we still have Bush, these responses typify (sp?) exactly why MOST Americans do not like to think and have individuality."

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
Yes, in that statement i only mentioned living. But please read the other posts. Thats been brought up before. Animals are not plants. Plants do not have feelings or emotions. I've never seen a plant cry, or be sad, or happy, or nuture, or be sympathetic. I've seen this in animals.

Originally posted by: Chiropteran
is it MORALLY CORRECT and righteous to kill a living creature just to improve the taste of your diet?

Lets assume the answer is no. Are you going to stop eating vegetables, as they too were once living?

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
dude, how's that lefty? that could have easily come from a conservative as much as a lefty. i'm lefty on somethings, i'm conservative on some things. i'm 'normal' i don't want to be labeled as either way.

Had McCain run instead of Bush, I would have voted republican. But dumbo ran instead. I don't tow either party line.

"They remind me of the typical, uneducated American response. The reason half the world laughs at us. The reason so many people in this country can't tell the difference that Africa is a continent. The reason we still have Bush, these responses typify (sp?) exactly why MOST Americans do not like to think and have individuality."

labgeek

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2002
Labgeek. I can put together a coherent argument.
Then please do. It would be a nice change of pace.

But unlike you, who posts once in 10 minutes and spell checks and grammer checks and so forth, I am posting to about 10 people at one time.
Actually I hadn't used a spell checker or a grammAr checker, but I did learn to write reasonable well. And I do consider what I'm saying before I post it for others to read. Quality beats quantity any day.

Get real, and realize this is the internet. As long as its reasonably coherent, the sh*t flies.
From the sounds of it son, I was probably using the internet before you were touching a keyboard.

You're the one who started making the political comments in a thread about being a vegetarian.

anyways, don't get me started. thats another topic for P&N.
Maybe you should have thought of that BEFORE you starting bringing politics into it. You started it yourself. Nobody "got you started".

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Yes, in that statement i only mentioned living. But please read the other posts. Thats been brought up before. Animals are not plants. Plants do not have feelings or emotions. I've never seen a plant cry, or be sad, or happy, or nuture, or be sympathetic. I've seen this in animals.

So if we could bread stupider and stupider animals until the point where they can't think at all you would be fine with eating them?

MeanMeosh

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
i've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian (i eat eggs and dairy products) all my life and i must say that none of these arguements have really come into play.

i was a vegetarian because my parents were - i lived in india for the first 13 years of my life - so this is a cultural / religious thing for them

the reason i'm still vegetarian has nothing to do:
- my religious beliefs (i'm not very religious, but i do believe that some higher power exist - i'm possibly agnostic. if anything, i'm a strict evolutionist)
- my morals (i don't think it's wrong to eat animals. all my friends except one are non-vegetarians and it doesn't bother me when they eat meat. it doesn't bother me when i handle meat. i've cooked meat for my friends before.)
- the fact that animals are bred to be food (ok... this is just like farmers growing plants for food, there's no difference. like it or not, plants have a "life" too, one that people take away by harvesting them, i might add)
- my health (i'm like 50 pounds overweight, so it's not like being vegetarian keeps you healthy - only a proper meal plan and regular exercise and / or a nice metabolism does that)
- financial reasons (hell, it's cheaper to buy food with meat in it that it is to buy food without meat in it)

so pretty much the only reason i'm still vegetarian is because i'm resistant to change. i don't try to convert people to vegetarianism. if they want to, good for them. if they don't want to, good for them. i went to high school in east texas, and a lot of people tried to (jokingly or not) make me eat meat, but when i explained to them that the only reason i was still vegetarian was because i was resistant to change, they understood that. if it gets to a point where i will have to go out of my way to stay a vegetarian, i will start eating meat.