Ever think of becoming vegetarian? NOW WITH POLL

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: jbaggins
strong statement. Let me see now.

Originally posted by: halik
LOL, a shark biting off a guy's arm is natural order? Come on, no way. Natural order was when our ancestors were spear chuckers, and we were about as likely to get eaten by a lion as we were to kill one.

Regarding amino acids, protein, etc. Not true, I know lots of vegetarians that are on protein shakes and have amino acids and good amounts of protein and are pretty buff.

And I know there are some vegetarian body builders. I can find some links, or you can google it if you prefer.

I know its long. i tend to write long posts. sorry. anyways, There is no NATURAL order going on. Most of the fish you eat is farm raised. Most of the beef you eat was from a cow that was intentionally bred to be a steak one day. Same with chickens, etc.

How is that natural order? We are far beyond natural order at this stage.

nope,
I hardly get enough amino acids and protein in my diet as is. *People* die all over the world on daily basis, so animal cruelty is really of no concern to me. I'm all for natural order.

Cliffnotes please, i read the first two paragraphs and gave up.

It's natural order because we're part of the foodchain in that way. Same reason guys surfing in australia get eaten by a shark sometime. Sucks for them, but c'est la vie.

Also I've never seen an athelete or anyone remotelly buff thats veggie. Quite the opposite actually, every single vergetarian i know is scrawny as hell. I try to eat good 150G of protein every day and that would be hardly possible with all vegetables.

there has never been a bodybuilder that got anywhere with just a veggie diet. Doesn't work that way.

the only successful somewhat-vegetarian body builder was Bill Pearl. He'd stil eat eggs and other animal products.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Really, thats uneducated?

Exactly how many sharp teeth do we have and how many flat teeth?

Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Since you brought biology into it, i have to bring those points up. We have FLAT teeth. Most plant eating animals have FLAT teeth. So, really, if you are keeping with what we are SUPPOSED to do, before we ate meat, we were probably intended to be plant eaters.

That is a completely uneducated comment. We are omnivores, and we have both flat teeth for eating plants AND sharp canines for ripping through meat.

Eating strictly plants is not natural. So to keep what we are supposed to do, you'd eat plants and animals.

the fact that we have (any) sharp teeth dictates that we're omnivores and meant to eat meat, which is exact opposite to what you're trying to argue...

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Wait are you actually suggesting that Evolving is relative to Meat eating? So, we would be "de-evolving" by becoming vegetarian? This is a very interesting argument. Can you expand upon this?

Sure, look it up. There has been plenty written about this. Keep in mind that vegetarians are an extremely misguided, vocal bunch, and they've written all kinds of scientifically inaccurate junk on the subject. Vegetarians are like UFO fanatics and conspiracy theorists- they share the same kind of emotional, illogical drive that hears no reason.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I didn't read your dissertation there in the OP, but to answer the question, yes, I have thought about it and rejected it.

labgeek

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2002
Yes there is, if you want to remain a person of average to below average intelligence, then yes, you are correct.

Ah resorting to name calling already... Yep, that's the sign of an intelligent person.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

If you had to ask that question, you are definitely uneducated on the subject. And if you believe that the number changes anything, you're even more misguided.

BTW, in honor of this post I'm going to eat some chicken tonight.

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
Plants do not have emotions or feelings. again, how can we really compare plants to animals. I used to say that to people the likes of me 10 years ago. I was being stupid and didn't want to think about it and was in denial, and was enamored by the tastes of whoppers with double cheese... damn.... miss it....

Originally posted by: J Heartless Slick
I went vegetarian for awhile because of moral reasons. But after thinking about it, I began to question my decision. Just because plants can not get up and walk away does not make it more okay to eat them compare to eating a cow.

Now, I am back to being an omnivore

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
animals communicate - just not in our language. gestures, calls, barks, etc.

is YOUR morality based on what you LIKE? just curious? There are plenty of things that I do not like doing but know it is the moral way.

Originally posted by: Anubis
ok how abouyt MY moraility says it has nothing to do with it, IMO theres nothing morally or ethically wrong with killing an animal to eat it, i dont even care if you are asian and you eat dog, just as long as its not my dog you can wat all of it you want

we (humans) are teh top species on this planet, so everything else is there for us to consume. im sorry if you dont like this but thats just the way it is, inow if animals were intellegend and coudl talk and all that then eateing them woudl prob be bad, but seeing as they cont have cognative thought its not an issue

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
eating eggs and drinking milk is fine. We are not taking a life. of course, there are reports that even in such processes, animals are abused. I would say lets work to improve those processes then. It can be done i'm sure.

strong statement. Let me see now.

LOL, a shark biting off a guy's arm is natural order? Come on, no way. Natural order was when our ancestors were spear chuckers, and we were about as likely to get eaten by a lion as we were to kill one.

Regarding amino acids, protein, etc. Not true, I know lots of vegetarians that are on protein shakes and have amino acids and good amounts of protein and are pretty buff.

And I know there are some vegetarian body builders. I can find some links, or you can google it if you prefer.

I know its long. i tend to write long posts. sorry. anyways, There is no NATURAL order going on. Most of the fish you eat is farm raised. Most of the beef you eat was from a cow that was intentionally bred to be a steak one day. Same with chickens, etc.

How is that natural order? We are far beyond natural order at this stage.

nope,
I hardly get enough amino acids and protein in my diet as is. *People* die all over the world on daily basis, so animal cruelty is really of no concern to me. I'm all for natural order.

Cliffnotes please, i read the first two paragraphs and gave up.

It's natural order because we're part of the foodchain in that way. Same reason guys surfing in australia get eaten by a shark sometime. Sucks for them, but c'est la vie.

Also I've never seen an athelete or anyone remotelly buff thats veggie. Quite the opposite actually, every single vergetarian i know is scrawny as hell. I try to eat good 150G of protein every day and that would be hardly possible with all vegetables.

there has never been a bodybuilder that got anywhere with just a veggie diet. Doesn't work that way.

the only successful somewhat-vegetarian body builder was Bill Pearl. He'd stil eat eggs and other animal products.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
No. I have forty calves in my pasture that will be sold in February. I need the money.

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
No. look at lions teeth and sharks teeth. They have a lot more sharp teeth than we have. Our teeth have EVOLVED to be sharper. I'm sure the first humans didn't have the teeth we have today.

Since you brought biology into it, i have to bring those points up. We have FLAT teeth. Most plant eating animals have FLAT teeth. So, really, if you are keeping with what we are SUPPOSED to do, before we ate meat, we were probably intended to be plant eaters.

That is a completely uneducated comment. We are omnivores, and we have both flat teeth for eating plants AND sharp canines for ripping through meat.

Eating strictly plants is not natural. So to keep what we are supposed to do, you'd eat plants and animals.

the fact that we have (any) sharp teeth dictates that we're omnivores and meant to eat meat, which is exact opposite to what you're trying to argue...

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
okay now i realize you are dillusional.

Wait are you actually suggesting that Evolving is relative to Meat eating? So, we would be "de-evolving" by becoming vegetarian? This is a very interesting argument. Can you expand upon this?

Sure, look it up. There has been plenty written about this. Keep in mind that vegetarians are an extremely misguided, vocal bunch, and they've written all kinds of scientifically inaccurate junk on the subject. Vegetarians are like UFO fanatics and conspiracy theorists- they share the same kind of emotional, illogical drive that hears no reason.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I like a good bloody hunk of beef off the grill to much to give it up. Besides they are dumb animals and if they were smarter then they would be eating us. One of the very few perks of being the high man on the totam pole. We get to eat anything under us :)

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
YOu can be intelligent and name call. But anyway, I didn't want to make it personal. But I hate these kinds of responses. They remind me of the typical, uneducated American response. The reason half the world laughs at us. The reason so many people in this country can't tell the difference that Africa is a continent. The reason we still have Bush, these responses typify (sp?) exactly why MOST Americans do not like to think and have individuality. they represent fear of the mass mentality. They are counter productive to American advancements.

Originally posted by: labgeek
Yes there is, if you want to remain a person of average to below average intelligence, then yes, you are correct.

Ah resorting to name calling already... Yep, that's the sign of an intelligent person.

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
Ever look in soy commodities? dont know if still hot, they were once.

Originally posted by: sixone
No. I have forty calves in my pasture that will be sold in February. I need the money.

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
But with this theory, if Albert Einstein was a cannibal, it would be okay.

Originally posted by: funboy42
I like a good bloody hunk of beef off the grill to much to give it up. Besides they are dumb animals and if they were smarter then they would be eating us. One of the very few perks of being the high man on the totam pole. We get to eat anything under us :)

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
No. look at lions teeth and sharks teeth. They have a lot more sharp teeth than we have. Our teeth have EVOLVED to be sharper. I'm sure the first humans didn't have the teeth we have today.

Exactly, people since a long long time ago started using struments instead of their teeth to tear up the meat. We don't need super sharp teeth anymore (we've got steak knives etc. ) That fact that we have pointy teeth at all suggest that we are omnivores.

The human evolution saw a big increase in brain size due to the protein diet as people moved away from gathering berries to hunting in pre-historic era. Look it up, 91TTz isn't talking out of his ass...

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
okay now i realize you are dillusional.

You're right that there is a dillusional person in this thread, but it's not me. I'm not the one arguing against everyone in here, trying to push my morality on someone else. Take a hint.

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
*im 95% veggie* - occasionally eat chicken if we have a roast, but i prefer substitutes like quorn =-)

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

Correct. Early humans ate more plants and lacked the intelligence that we have today. The major increase in brain size is due to us beginning to hunt and eat meat.

Look it up and find out for yourself.

jbaggins

Oct 19, 2004
If you are saying that we do not need sharp teeth to tear meat, since we have knives, what about the digestion of this meat? Any special devices for this?

On one hand the argument is we were intended to do it. On the other hand you say we can employ the use of tools -- I find this to be contradictory.

If we were intended to eat it, why would we need the tools?

Exactly, people since a long long time ago started using struments instead of their teeth to tear up the meat. We don't need super sharp teeth anymore (we've got steak knives etc. ) That fact that we have pointy teeth at all suggest that we are omnivores.