Ever feel out of place?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MarkieMark231

Aug 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Mo0o
if you go to devry you probably wont be "living the life" 3-4 years from now. and lighten up and go out. You can do well in school and not be a virgin, seriously... it's possible.
I think the living the life quote is getting out of hand....any college under my belt is better than nothing at all. Just because I don't go to Standford or some higher end school doesn't mean I can't have a career or learn from a school. I got a 3.9GPA in high school, but my test scores suck and four years university's are not for me. I hate lectures. LMAO

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
In 3-4 years, you'll want to kick your own ass for not partying it up while you could. I had a blast in college, got a great job now - but I'd still love to go back to college and have some fun.

Try OCing and water cooling a chick :D

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I'll let you in on a secret... everyone feels that way ;)

just relax, do your best, and try to have some fun.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: MarkieMark231
No not entirely, but at the same time a lot of people don't start college at the age of 17. I could work some shit job for 3-5 and then start college...does that sound better?

Umm I was 17 and started college. A guy that lived next to me was 16. It's not like it was a big deal.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
I'm "living the life" now, and I didnt do shit in college. Go out and have fun.

You'll be "living the life" of depression and loneliness if you sit in your room and play with your computer for 3 years instead of interacting with other people.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
if you go to devry you probably wont be "living the life" 3-4 years from now. and lighten up and go out. You can do well in school and not be a virgin, seriously... it's possible.
I think the living the life quote is getting out of hand....any college under my belt is better than nothing at all. Just because I don't go to Standford or some higher end school doesn't mean I can't have a career or learn from a school. I got a 3.9GPA in high school, but my test scores suck and four years university's are not for me. I hate lectures. LMAO

Not familiar with Standford but I assume it's a good school? ;)

College is not all about grades/books etc. Learning how to interact with people from all different walks of life is a huge part too. I'm amazed at some of the people I deal with on a daily basis that lack basic communication and personal skills. Get out and meet some people and you'll quickly realize that you're not so different. It can be intimidating but as Vonkhan said:

Originally posted by: Vonkhan
In 3-4 years, you'll want to kick your own ass for not partying it up while you could.

GDaddy

Mar 30, 2006
There are 2 sides to being "smart", books and social/street. If you only are concentrating on one the other will suffer. If you just concentrating on books you will most likely end up being a "worker bee" always doing the grunt work, instead of someone who can also socially interact with thier peers and managment to grow with a company. All those people going out and partying are learning things that will help them latter in life, and you are missing it.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: jrenz
3-4 years from now I'm going to be living the life

Not from the looks of it
How do you figure?

Aside from the obvious fact that you still won't be 21, what's going to change about you in 3-4 years?
Degree and Training on what I hope to make a career out of someday.....

And that means you'll be living the life...?
No not entirely, but at the same time a lot of people don't start college at the age of 17. I could work some shit job for 3-5 and then start college...does that sound better?

I'm wondering what it means then for me, as I'm starting college at the age of 26. And no offense, but people like you annoy me. Going to college isn't going to fix anything in your life--it by no means guarantees prosperity either. I know several people with degrees, and none of them are working in their field. Me--I am majoring in CS because I want to know how to program better than I do now.

Do what you want in life, but don't compare yourself to others. If you are doing what you want and what makes you happy, why should it matter if other people are out partying?

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
If you "try" to fit in, your a loser. Individuality is what your actually after, not to be the same as everyone else. Something parents and wiggers won't be able to ever experience.

natep

Sep 27, 2005
Just do whatever you enjoy. I do, however, suggest that you try other ways to enjoy yourself first.

Partying has its benefits in the workplace, though. You'll meet more people in the same field, become friends, and one may be able to get you a nice job in the future.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
Like somebody else mentioned. Devry won't help you to "live the life" unless you have some experience under your belt. Try to get internships during your summers and if possible during the school year to back your degree. You are young, try to enjoy your time there and make sure you really like what you are studying. Go out and party sometimes, not all the times but sometimes, you have to learn how to balance studies and social life. Otherwise, once you are out and have a good job, you will look back and wish you had had fun back in school.

Good luck on your future endeavours !

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
You know why all those other people can afford to go out and party all night? Because DeVry is way too easy.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
You're reading an A+ book that you own at 3 AM, and you don't think you're a total geek?

Feb 6, 2007

Ahh to be young and naive again (no, I'm serious, I miss it). Quick point here, not all four year colleges are lecture based. I went to a small private liberal arts college where the average class size was <20 students. You can't really have a lecture style class with so few students, so the vast majority of the classes were discussion-based. Still a four year college, but not a lot of lectures.

That said, when I was heading off to college, I was a nervous Nellie. I'd never done drugs, alcohol, smoked, hadn't had sex, didn't get into the party scene, and preferred to play video games (or some basketball). After a couple years in college I started opening up, partying a little more, I experimented with some stuff that I wouldn't consider doing now, and I'm glad I did. It opened me up, it exposed me to things I would not have been exposed to, and I'm a better person for knowing it.

There's an old joke; there's a time and place for everything and it's called College. It's absolutely true. College is the one time in your life where you can really do anything. You're old enough to be independent, yet young enough to get some leniency in the eyes of the law (but try not to get caught). You'll have your whole life to build a resume for yourself and figure out the best ways to achieve your goals. But you should try and enjoy this time in your life. Before you know it, it will be gone, and you will NEVER have a chance to try some of that stuff again (blown opportunities are the worst).

Good luck, have fun, try not to worry so much, you'll be fine.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Do what you want in life, but don't compare yourself to others. If you are doing what you want and what makes you happy, why should it matter if other people are out partying?

That about covers it. It seems like you aren't comfortable with who you are.I never really studied all that much, and in about a month, I'll be starting my last year of college. Drugs, parting ,effing around != me, it has not and never will be me. Last year, had to live with the people you mentioned in the woods for two weeks straight. There was a lot of booze and drugs, got "pressure" to do some, but I quietly gave the "Thank you, but I would prefer not to" (and a silent finger in my pocket and head). Right there was the first time I realized how comfortable I am with the way I am. So ya, I'm probably one of the most out of place people in the entire college, but do I really give two sh!ts: no.

3NF

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2005
It's college, you only go through it once - hopefully :) While it's a good idea to get your money's worth and a good education, it's equally important that you socialize and have a good time. The smart one learns how to balance the two.

MarkieMark231

Aug 2, 2007
First of all thank you for all the positive posts. When I first started this thread I wanted to go hide in a corner and cry. You guys were a little harsh, but w/e. I completely see what your everyone is saying. Don't rip me a new asshole I know I'm not going to the best school, but I'm putting a lot effort into learning and make it the most that I can. I am truly having a wonderful time...and in some classes a bad time, hehe. I will get out more thats for sure. I recently just got my mountain bikes here today from home and I ride about 2+ Hours a day, so hopefully I can meet some riding buddies. Yes I do plan to get experience under my belt...I'm looking for a part-time job anywhere right now and when I get further along with my studies (3rd, 4th and 5th) I will look more into internships.

This is honestly a life changing choice, when I was young I just wanted a Diploma and I wanted to be an auto mechanic,....no clue what happened there, lol. I really enjoy some of the things I would never be interested in. I am very surprised. I might be shooting for the moon here, but eventually I would like to get an MBA and maybe go to a Law school or something of that sort.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
You can't help but feel out of place in a new environment... it could take you a while to reach a comfort zone. My experience with moving away from home and going to university was a lot to handle too, although I was more of the partying type that you described!

Don't worry about what everyone else is doing though... just do what you need to do and enjoy it! Don't let anyone get down on you for not being a party animal, you'll likely have the last laugh! Good luck!

MarkieMark231

Aug 2, 2007
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
Originally posted by: potoba
relax and enjoy college life...

and get laid.
I like your thinking. I guess one of the reasons I feel out of place is...I've never been to a party ever! Only because I lack self confidence. I'm...well...one of the bigger students here. 5'10 185. /cry.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004

and get laid.
I like your thinking. I guess one of the reasons I feel out of place is...I've never been to a party ever! Only because I lack self confidence. I'm...well...one of the bigger students here. 5'10 185. /cry.

Is this the anorexic school?

MarkieMark231

Aug 2, 2007
Originally posted by: AFB

and get laid.

Is this the anorexic school?
Excuse me, lol. 285*