Ever feel out of place?

MarkieMark231

Aug 2, 2007
Okay, so I just started college and it is different from what I thought. I was always the tech geek for as long as I can remember and I didn't mind it, because I knew a lot more than 95% of people, it was a huge passion for me and I can help a lot of people doing it. I'm majoring in Network & Communications Management and I will have a BS. So my third week into it and I almost feel out of place. There are the total nerds here and there are the preps who could care less for tech even in out comp. classes. It just feels weird, it seems like everyone is going out or partying 'till 3 in the morning,...while I'm reading my A+ Book and or learning something new about the PC. That be here reading articles or pushing my PC to its limits with OCing. I guess I was always the more serious one. I really strive to be the best that I can be. I look at it like yes I'm busting my ass now, but 3-4 years from now I'm going to be living the life. I only say that because I'm 17 and if everything goes accordingly I will be done with a BS on my 20th B-Day. Did anyone else go through this young and dumb stage or am I just being a anal ass?

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Huh? You're disappointed that you don't rate as high on the nerd-o-meter anymore, but you're also disappointed that everyone else is partying all night long?

MarkieMark231

Aug 2, 2007
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
Huh? You're disappointed that you don't rate as high on the nerd-o-meter anymore, but you're also disappointed that everyone else is partying all night long?
No,no,no...It feels different because I'm the only one not partying. The nerdy nerds are more Cards,Collectibles,...etc. etc.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
When did Network & Communications Management become a major? Is this ITT?

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: MarkieMark231
Originally posted by: jrenz
3-4 years from now I'm going to be living the life

Not from the looks of it
How do you figure?

Aside from the obvious fact that you still won't be 21, what's going to change about you in 3-4 years?

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Are you going to Devry? I know thats a class there that I was thinking about taking... What location if devry?

MarkieMark231

Aug 2, 2007
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Are you going to Devry? I know thats a class there that I was thinking about taking... What location if devry?
Yes, I'm attending Devry here in Fremont, CA.

MarkieMark231

Aug 2, 2007

Not from the looks of it
How do you figure?

Aside from the obvious fact that you still won't be 21, what's going to change about you in 3-4 years?
Degree and Training on what I hope to make a career out of someday.....

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
I think I was sorta heading towards your path when I was a senior in high school last year, I was all into hardware + networking but then I soo got into web development, and a year later I'm already doing it, and I love it :)

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006

Not from the looks of it
How do you figure?

And that means you'll be living the life...?

MarkieMark231

Aug 2, 2007

Not from the looks of it
How do you figure?

No not entirely, but at the same time a lot of people don't start college at the age of 17. I could work some shit job for 3-5 and then start college...does that sound better?

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
You have a massive misconeption that if your out partying etc your not studying or your not able to get a good degree. WRONG!

A lot of those guys will have some talent/ cramming skills, get good degrees and do to the top companies in Accountancy, Law or Finance! They will more then likely be very confident and interview well and shine through group tasks.

I never felt out of place. Just do what your comfortable with, but don't b!tch on the guys going out and partying and thinking that your better, because your studying. You like to OC your pc etc, they like to go out and get wrecked a few times a week.

Koing

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Yes, I'm attending Devry here in Fremont, CA.

My co-worker is a devry graduate... I understand what you mean...

I'll be going there for CIS web development, but I am thinking about changing to Business Administration project management so I can be more marketable.

At devry you'll encounter extreme geeks and rich snobs. geeks because its "the best" and snobs because they can afford it. I'm sure there is someone there who is thinking the same as you...

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006

Not from the looks of it
How do you figure?

No not entirely, but at the same time a lot of people don't start college at the age of 17. I could work some shit job for 3-5 and then start college...does that sound better?

Hey, you're the one complaining about life. Don't think that once you graduate you'll be transported to a magical party land with free beer and promiscuous women everywhere. You'll have already left that magical place.

MarkieMark231

Aug 2, 2007

Not from the looks of it
How do you figure?

Hey, you're the one complaining about life. Don't think that once you graduate you'll be transported to a magical party land with free beer and promiscuous women everywhere. You'll have already left that magical place.
Not once did I say that. I think I have a better chance of gaining the good lifestyle if I start early though.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: AznAnarchy99
Go party with them?

win. New social options opened means new social circles. Go out with them and see what they do for fun. Make sure to bring a sharpie.

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
any college that needs a television ad is not worth going to.

you're 17. go out and party at a real school.

Mikey

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2006
Yeah, it's called having a life. Go out and get one and learn to enjoy yourself socially. I know people like you who think they are the shit, but when it comes down to dealing with people or important situations that require more than OCing skills, you're in trouble. It's not about you being more serious than others. That just means you don't really know people and human behavior as well as you think. Socializing and partying is all for fun. It doesn't mean students are doing poorly in school. I also know some people that only party and study, and they make near 4.0 GPAs. I'm a prep, a jock, a surfer, a guitarist, and I wouldn't doubt it if I knew more than you about tech and computers, but I also pursue to excel in everything I do outside of tech and computers. I can speak for half of this forum, so it's not just me.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
if you go to devry you probably wont be "living the life" 3-4 years from now. and lighten up and go out. You can do well in school and not be a virgin, seriously... it's possible.