Ever been sky diving?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hevnsnt

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
Originally posted by: hevnsnt
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
i went a few months back...its not as thrilling as i would have thought...

the way i described it to my friends was it felt like i was lying on my stomach with an industrial fan blowing up at me...

I am actually glad I didnt do it "tandum" the first time. I think it was more intense when you are jumping out of a plane by yourself. I think next time I would like to go tandum so I could experience more free-fall

they let you go your first time solo?

Well it wasn't exactly solo, your ripcord was attached to the plane. :p But yes -- it was just me after the chute opened

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Three words:
High Speed Dirt.

One thought: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely not for you.

One other thought: If the plane isn't on fire and isn't spiralling out of control, hurtling toward earth, I'm not jumping out of a perfectly good plane.

One other thought: The image of Yosemite Sam pulling his rip cord and the contents of a picnic basket come flowing out is forever stuck in my mind.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Three words:
High Speed Dirt.

One thought: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely not for you.

One other thought: If the plane isn't on fire and isn't spiralling out of control, hurtling toward earth, I'm not jumping out of a perfectly good plane.

One other thought: The image of Yosemite Sam pulling his rip cord and the contents of a picnic basket come flowing out is forever stuck in my mind.

LMAO

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: shimsham
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO
I went sky diving, I went Rocky Mountain climbing, I did 2.7 seconds on a bull named FuManChu.

:thumbsdown:

HAHAHAHAH.......oh god, I hate that song. Worst part is that mix stations think this country song is "mix material" so they play it...what a sh!tty song.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I think you'd like it, an instructor hooked into my harness and we did a tandem dive, he was behind me the whole time, all the way down, and pulling the rip cord wasn't the slam into a brick wall feeling I expected, it was very gentle.

Don't think there's a preference in tandem diving, you're always the bottom, but if you don't mind that...

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
It's boring. It's fun for about 15 seconds, then it's like "I'm still falling?". Not as thrilling as you would expect. I think part of it is that you are so far up, it's sureal. Yes you're falling, but the ground doesn't seem like it's getting closer. Very disappointing to me. Would I do it if I had never done it? Yes. Would I do it again? No thanks.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: mrchan
It's boring. It's fun for about 15 seconds, then it's like "I'm still falling?". Not as thrilling as you would expect. I think part of it is that you are so far up, it's sureal. Yes you're falling, but the ground doesn't seem like it's getting closer. Very disappointing to me. Would I do it if I had never done it? Yes. Would I do it again? No thanks.

you put it into better words than i did. being so far up, theres no fear of slamming into the ground...and it doesn't feel like falling AT ALL

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Skydiving and bungie jumping are my list of things to do. There's a place down in south Washington that charges $75 for two bungie jumps but who wants to do two jumps?

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I've done it. It was one of the most exciting things I've done in my life.

Go tandem, go 12,000 feet rather than 6000 (you get a solid minute of free fall, thats the fun part). The scary part is riding the plane, and stepping out of the open door. Once you actually jump it is amazing. Nothing like you imagine before hand, it's not that "falling in a dream" feeling.

After you complete the jump, you will be "high" from it for about a week. The rush stays with you for a while.

If you are considering it, then go ahead and do it! You wont regret it!

Mathlete

Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: aircooled

Go tandem, go 12,000 feet rather than 6000 (you get a solid minute of free fall, thats the fun part). The scary part is riding the plane, and stepping out of the open door. Once you actually jump it is amazing. Nothing like you imagine before hand, it's not that "falling in a dream" feeling.

After you complete the jump, you will be "high" from it for about a week. The rush stays with you for a while.

SHENS!!! If you free fall for a minute from 12,000 you would be a puddle or a hole!!!

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Mathlete

SHENS!!! If you free fall for a minute from 12,000 you would be a puddle or a hole!!!

It's normally 45 seconds at about 12,000 ft. We actually ended up at 15,000 feet and did a solid 60 seconds. no shens, those are accurate numbers, you pull the cord at 4000 feet. LINK.
Supervised Freefall 45-60 Second Freefall 10,000-13,000ft

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Sky diving is way fun! It was about $130 for my first time. Go with friends, and take pictures, It's a bragging right almost worth the money :p

Mathlete

Aug 23, 2004

It's normally 45 seconds at about 12,000 ft. We actually ended up at 15,000 feet and did a solid 60 seconds. no shens, those are accurate numbers, you pull the cord at 4000 feet. LINK.

Fairly impressive since it would take 27 sec to hit the ground from 12000 ft with no wind resistence. Didn't think the air would double the amount of free fall!!!

Daaavo

Platinum Member
May 23, 2000

It's normally 45 seconds at about 12,000 ft. We actually ended up at 15,000 feet and did a solid 60 seconds. no shens, those are accurate numbers, you pull the cord at 4000 feet.

I will never, ever, ever forget the first time the jump door hinged upward, and my right knee was like 2" from the lower door jam, and just beyond that a view of 12,000' straight down. I still remember it as though it was yesterday, and it was over 15 years ago.

MadPeriot

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2003
Did it at 13,000ft up tandem dive with my girlfriend. The ride up on the plane is actually scarier than falling. When they opened the side door even scarier. When you're about to jump almost pissed in my pants. Free falling for about 5 secs is EXTREME. Gliding down the rest of the way was surreal and had a view of Mexico, awesome.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

Fairly impressive since it would take 27 sec to hit the ground from 12000 ft with no wind resistence. Didn't think the air would double the amount of free fall!!!

Sorry if you don't believe it, I have it on video tape. Please google 60 second free fall and you will find that 15,000 feet is the average.

Mathlete

Aug 23, 2004

Sorry if you don't believe it, I have it on video tape. Please google 60 second free fall and you will find that 15,000 feet is the average.

Not saying your wrong, I am just :Q

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
That whole "drop zone" ride that is popular at all the amuesment parks, really gets me going, but it is scary as crap. Does it basically feel like that for 30 seconds instead of 2 seconds, or does your body adjust to the free fall?

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: TheNinja
That whole "drop zone" ride that is popular at all the amuesment parks, really gets me going, but it is scary as crap. Does it basically feel like that for 30 seconds instead of 2 seconds, or does your body adjust to the free fall?

Freefall feels different, I can't explain it, but it's not the same as the "butterflies" you get from that ride.

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
Wonder how long it takes to reach terminal velocity. I'm guessing earlier than 27 seconds.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: sixone
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Three words:
High Speed Dirt.

LMAO

for sale: parachute, used once, small stain.