Even if you think you believe in Evolution, you probably don't...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Unless you're OK with letting the strong live, the crippled and defective die, and are against medical treatment to maintain life in any manner.

:hmm:

:eek:

You don't have to be OK with something just because you think it's true. For example, I believe in the The Holocaust, this does not mean I'm ok with it.

Also, a developed, civilized society (one with public health care anyway) takes care of its crippled and weak. But make no mistake, if disaster hit and everything turned into a battle for survival, the first to be abandoned would be the handicapped, elderly etc. Humans work that way, which is why I generally don't like humans.

obamanation

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
You don't have to be OK with something just because you think it's true. For example, I believe in the The Holocaust, this does not mean I'm ok with it.

Also, a developed, civilized society (one with public health care anyway) takes care of its crippled and weak. But make no mistake, if disaster hit and everything turned into a battle for survival, the first to be abandoned would be the handicapped, elderly etc. Humans work that way, which is why I generally don't like humans.
It's not that they would be "abandoned" it's that it would be everyone for themselves.. It only makes sense for people to be for themselves and when you have people like this exist in a society that isn't "doing so well" for whatever reason, it's to be expected. You "help out" only when you have energy and resources to spare, but things are scarce, this doesn't happen. Why else would the food banks be struggling now but not, say 5 years ago.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
To the OP I can only say this:

"It is better to keep quiet and let people THINK you're and idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
To the OP I can only say this:

"It is better to keep quiet and let people THINK you're and idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Ahahahaha... lovely.

I'd love to see people call me an idiot in court or in a meeting room and see how they fair out. :rolleyes:

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Ahahahaha... lovely.

I'd love to see people call me an idiot in court or in a meeting room and see how they fair out. :rolleyes:

No worries - the courtroom will see that you're an idiot without it needing to be stated.

gimmewhitecastles

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2005
MjinZ, you're and idiot. And a dick.

Since nobody here has agreed with you as of yet, this confirms that fact.
Or in your world maybe everybody else is an idiot and you're the only smart one left.
This thread has been more about how much you are a dumb-ass than it is about your original topic.

But I digress. To get back on topic, Natural Selection will eventually prevent your smarmy, smartass, douchebag genes from getting laid unless you learn to STFU.

Hows that evolution for ya?

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Ahahahaha... lovely.

No one would need to say it. Everyone what just give you a big WTF stare as you spout nonsensical bullshit, thinking the whole time that your "logic" is sound.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
This could have been ended simply by saying:

"What the OP has described as a requirement of 'believing in evolution' is survival of the fittest, which is not evolution. Additionally, survival of the fittest is incorrectly described as letting people who can be saved die, as opposed to the longevity of a species/race/racial group/person in regards to a situation where the elimination of another of the aforementioned would effect and ensure the preservation of said species/race/racial group/person. The OP is a moron."

No, I didn't read any pages beyond the first to see if anyone else brought this up because this is retarded.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
It's much more basic than that mrjminer. OP doesn't even comprehend the basic difference between an individual living and the overall success of a species. I would also be quite surprised if OP had even a rudimentary knowledge of the role of fecundity and other reproductive success concepts with respect to evolution.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Yeah, well while we don't support eugenics, what we end up supporting is dysgenics. Having a welfare state where useless people breed is exactly opposite of what we should be doing.

What is the exact opposite if it's not eugenics, exactly? Forcing useful people to breed?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Unless you're OK with letting the strong live, the crippled and defective die, and are against medical treatment to maintain life in any manner.

:hmm:

:eek:

This is more about morality than evolution though.

Personally I am more for the above it one cannot afford insurance/treatment.

We have too much welfare, we need an economic evolution where the poor are carved away.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
What is the exact opposite if it's not eugenics, exactly? Forcing useful people to breed?

Perhaps we could give useful people incentives to breed. There was a Heinlein story about this, but they were shooting for extreme longevity. Basically people with desired attributes could be given a list of other people with desired attributes along with the promise of payment for marrying and having children with one or more of them. They could be free to disregard the offer or take it as they wished. If the list were long enough then they would be as likely to find a suitable mate there as out in the wide world. Moreso perhaps if the people on the list represented the portion of the population with the most intelligence, athleticism, longevity, kindness, responsibility, work ethic, etc.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Perhaps we could give useful people incentives to breed. There was a Heinlein story about this, but they were shooting for extreme longevity. Basically people with desired attributes could be given a list of other people with desired attributes along with the promise of payment for marrying and having children with one or more of them. They could be free to disregard the offer or take it as they wished. If the list were long enough then they would be as likely to find a suitable mate there as out in the wide world. Moreso perhaps if the people on the list represented the portion of the population with the most intelligence, athleticism, longevity, kindness, responsibility, work ethic, etc.

The question is though how do you get rid of the ones you don't want breeding? For example the one lady who had like 14 kids living in the one bedroom hotel with her and expected the state to pay for them all.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
The question is though how do you get rid of the ones you don't want breeding? For example the one lady who had like 14 kids living in the one bedroom hotel with her and expected the state to pay for them all.

Yeah, I suppose all it would end up doing is creating a sort of genetically superior elite class while everyone else continues to make up the majority. I don't know the solution to that one.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Yeah, I suppose all it would end up doing is creating a sort of genetically superior elite class while everyone else continues to make up the majority. I don't know the solution to that one.

solution for it is getting primeval. It's not a pretty thing.

The un-pretty things have to exist in any society though for maximum gain.

Unfortunately we let murderers off if they are still teenagers because "they didn't know better"...

We are going to be our own destruction.