Even if you think you believe in Evolution, you probably don't...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Huh? Love and Hate are nothing like evolution at all, nor are they belief systems, they are emotions. There is no church of hate that I'm aware of, nor is there a holy book of hate.

Yes there, you just haven't been enlightened enough. Hippies and Nazis are a good start.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Agreed. Evolution isn't, and shouldn't be a belief system. It is a form of explaining.

People like Dawkins who take themselves and their work so seriously really ruin the concept of Science and empiricism because they make cases that can't really be made. Evolution is tenuous in the concept that nobody can actually prove evolution was happening millions of years ago.

However it can be deduced with very compelling evidence evolution did occur.

Now you're the one Failing. Just for different reasons.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
If you think a Church is necessary for a belief system, then you need to talk to Richard Dawkins and enlighten yourself. :rolleyes:

You are too used to growing up within the confines of a belief system, thus you see other things which are observation and associate those observations with belief systems, which they are not.

Put simply: observation and analysis does not a belief system make.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
You are too used to growing up within the confines of a belief system, thus you see other things which are observation and associate those observations with belief systems, which they are not.

Put simply: observation and analysis does not a belief system make.

If you can't see it, please don't assume everyone else is just as blind.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Well I'm sure you'll do well as a lawyer, because no one will understand what you are saying or what point you are trying to make, so they will just assume it's over their heads and your side must be right (assumign you do law with a jury).
If you do some other kind of law where you interact with people who have a clue, I expect they'll just laugh at you and ask you what drugs you take.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Well I'm sure you'll do well as a lawyer, because no one will understand what you are saying or what point you are trying to make, so they will just assume it's over their heads and your side must be right (assumign you do law with a jury).
If you do some other kind of law where you interact with people who have a clue, I expect they'll just laugh at you and ask you what drugs you take.

I would imagine his ideas would hold up as well in court as the now disbarred Jack Thompson.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Unless you're OK with letting the strong live, the crippled and defective die, and are against medical treatment to maintain life in any manner.

:hmm:

:eek:

evolution doesnt "recommend" a way of acting. the very idea is that every animal will attempt to the best of their abilities to continue living and reproduce.

in humans, the 'best of our abilities' includes medical treatment.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
evolution doesnt "recommend" a way of acting. the very idea is that every animal will attempt to the best of their abilities to continue living and reproduce.

in humans, the 'best of our abilities' includes medical treatment.

I would disagree... evolution "recommends" survival, and especially, the ability for the survival of the species.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
I would disagree... evolution "recommends" survival, and especially, the ability for the survival of the species.

If you honestly think that evolution "recommends" things, then you probably don't understand what evolution is to begin with.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So is LOVE, and HATE.

They are FACT - it's observable, and there is evidence left behind.

Do you understand or believe in Love or Hate?

The existence of something does not equate to you agreeing or relating to it, or spreading it, or advocating it, or denying it.

sorry, you can't quantitatively & objectively define Love.

that is just silly.

I didn't think you were stupid at first....now I'm leaning in that direction.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
In the last 100 years evolution of humans has given us everything from airplanes, to cars, to computers, to cat scans, to landing a man on the moon, etc, etc.

It seems to working just fine.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Huh? Love and Hate are nothing like evolution at all, nor are they belief systems, they are emotions. There is no church of hate that I'm aware of, nor is there a holy book of hate.

are you sure about that?

lots of churches:
http://www.patrobertson.com/
http://www.falwell.com/
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/today.guest.html
http://www.glennbeck.com/

plenty of books, too:
http://www.amazon.com/Listen-America.../dp/0553149989
http://www.amazon.com/Godless-Church.../dp/1400054206
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...%20Beck&page=1

:D

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
In case anyone got the reference...

It is like the difference between believing God exists and believing IN God.

So, even if you trust the Science, you don't believe it to be... the way it should be.

What kind of ramifications does this have? Hmmmmmmmm?
I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and his Noodly appendage will touch you, too.

dpearson

Jul 23, 2009
Fail.

You (and I) don't know what genes strengthen or weaken our gene pool. The gene for sickle cell anemia actually provides protection against malaria. So would it strengthen or weaken our gene pool?

It really depends on two factors. What is your idea of a strengthened gene pool? Intelligence, health, height, etc, etc?? And what effect does preventing these genes from spreading thru procreation have.

It may be that if we did "euthanize" or prevent those with genetic abnormalities from procreating, we may actually be reducing our gene pools tendency to create newer adaptations.

What?

Reread my post. I did not say I knew what genes strengthened or weakened our gene pool. Nor did I say that I knew what a strengthened gene pool would look like.

I was just saying contributions to society don't affect our species. Passing genes on to the next generation does.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
If you honestly think that evolution "recommends" things, then you probably don't understand what evolution is to begin with.

My undergrad degree is in Biochemistry and Chemistry. You have to pass Bio 101 to move on.

Your understanding of Evolution is shallow.

Just like doctors and scientists may understand how a human body works, but not the meaning of our existence.

Last edited:

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
sorry, you can't quantitatively & objectively define Love.

that is just silly.

I didn't think you were stupid at first....now I'm leaning in that direction.

LOL. You absolutely can, if you had the capacity to.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
In the last 100 years evolution of humans has given us everything from airplanes, to cars, to computers, to cat scans, to landing a man on the moon, etc, etc.

It seems to working just fine.

err, those are scientific achievements, not evolution.