EVE!

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow Martimus. I will have to look at those kills when I get home from work. I have to say, I am not happy with the alliance we joined. We will probably dump them soon. Grant it, these guys are supposedly a WH alliance (and give that is what we are doing as well, it made sense to join), but they got war dec'ed the day before we joined and it went active just a few hours after we joined. The guys in high sec decided to make a fleet and got their asses handed to them. Pretty sure there are at least a few spies in the allianace given the fact that the fleet the enemy put up was pretty much designed specifically to fight the fleet that the alliance guys made. Hell, the alliance guys outnumbered them 2 to 1 , and lost 16 ships while killing 2 (one of them was just a hero point). For WH guys, they sure either have no idea how to fight or as I said, there are multiple spies....

I am leaning on both being the correct answer, especially since our small corp of 4 real people has more kills since joining just a few days ago than anyone else has in their entire time in the alliance.... And it was a very slow weekend for us.

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I was recruiting PvP corps for a while, but I am not sure we really need any at the moment. Even so, there is always attrition, so if you are interested in a low-sec alliance run by a fellow Anandtech member, just send me (or preferably Michael) a PM and I am sure we could accomodate you.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I like how he tries to paint the goons as good guys when they first started. Maybe everyone had low opinions of them cause they demonstrated in other games/MMOs that they just want to ruin shit for everyone else.

They tried too in Eve, but it just does not work in Eve like it does in any other game.

Redshirt 24

Jan 30, 2006
Perhaps, but after the whole BoB thing... <shrug>

If anything, I have to respect (somewhat) his completely owning his relative evil. Then again, in general Goon* has been consistent about that...

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I finally got podded for the first time. I think I now have 40 deaths total. It was mostly a byproduct of me playing too long and being tired and not thinking straight. I should have never started that fight, and I really shouldn't have taken gateguns to start it. And even though I knew I was going to lose my ship, I was still slow on getting out of there, which is why I lost my pod. Just was too exhausted to be playing at the time, and lost a low-grad slave set because of it.

Oh well, live and learn. I'll go get a new one once the war is over, so I can bring my alt back to high-sec. I think it is funny that I feel safer in low-sec than high-sec. Probably because I can just kill anyone that I want to in low-sec, but can't do much in high-sec without getting concorded.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've only been podded once myself as well and it was when I DC'd. I was not a happy panda. But as you say, live and learn. Even though I really couldn't learn from mine, I just accepted it as part of the risk, even if it sucks losing a set of 4's plus other implants lol.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I like how he tries to paint the goons as good guys when they first started. Maybe everyone had low opinions of them cause they demonstrated in other games/MMOs that they just want to ruin shit for everyone else.

They tried too in Eve, but it just does not work in Eve like it does in any other game.

I joined GoonSwarm just after they moved into Syndicate and was with them for a year, which was about the time they began attacking BoB's territories. We weren't really interested in much back in those days, just looking for a good fight. We had been repelled in our first system siege and as we limped back home to lick our wounds, we were greeted by BoB's T2 gangs vs. our limited noob ships (we had a single carrier and a smattering of T2 ships in the corp at that time). They mockingly locked down our home systems with ease and we couldn't do anything for over a week. No justification for it and in fact, we had thought they were going to help us with the siege (I forget who it was, but it was one of the Northern Coalition leftovers and what many considered to be at the time BoB's chief rival).

BoB very much shaped GoonSwarm with that decision. It gave us a singular purpose to drive towards: the destruction of BoB. Before that, our ambition and drive was scattered around as much as there was members in the corp.

While it's true that, in general, "Goons" like to engage in griefing behavior in the majority of online games they play, it was on a much smaller scale prior to that event.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I need to make some isk.... Just wanted to leave that here.

(I'm not doing bad, but just havn't made much over the last month... I need to take that next step on my market trader, but going further with him entails fighting against the market bots too much for my enjoyment). I am glad I moved into a new WH though, so hopefully now I will make some more isk in there.

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
(I'm not doing bad, but just havn't made much over the last month... I need to take that next step on my market trader, but going further with him entails fighting against the market bots too much for my enjoyment).

I find I can make money trading pretty easily by only adjusting prices once a week. The market tends to ebb and flow and eventually all the 0.01 iskers get bought out and your junk sells.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Just tried to run my first C3 site with a couple of Drakes. Ugh, I had no idea how much DPS those BSs would put out.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just tried to run my first C3 site with a couple of Drakes. Ugh, I had no idea how much DPS those BSs would put out.

That is why I posted the drake setup a little while back. http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31475034&postcount=2465

I really was not kidding with that fit and when I said you really need battlecruisers 4, as well as the 2 shield skills that give you boosts in total shield and shield recharge rate to level 5. You can solo any regular C3 site, but you can not do mag or radar sites in that fit (the tank will not hold if everything targets one person).

Edited to change "grav" site to "radar"... grav sites are for mining (but you know what I meant)

Last edited:

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
FK:

Yeah, I got a bit complacent. I was using two Drakes (my main + my alt) and I figured if one BC can tank a site then it should be easy for two. The first couple of waves were no problem but once the Sleeper battleships showed up...

Oh well, live an learn. The Drake that I lost was the one that belonged to my alt so it still had a decent amount of non-tech 2 gear and wasn't very expensive. I was also running a mag site, which may explain the trouble I had. Might be time to start looking into bring a battleship instead or swallowing my pride and getting more help from my corp/alliance.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yay ISK!!!

Been a while since I was able to run WH sites. As I said a little while ago, I was shifting corps on my main WH character (while still training up my other to fly RR Tengu's). We had a good route in the other night so I was finally able to get him in and tonight pulled in 1.5 billion :D

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I have a similar situation. I could finally go to Jita and sell the Crystalline Carbonide I had made over the past few weeks. (I had been at war until now) One problem is that the price has dropped about 15&#37; in that time and I have lost about 200M isk worth of potential profits because of it. Still it will be nice to have some income, since I just lost about 1B ISK worth of stuff not long ago.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I haven't played in forever, did they end up patching in the ability to walk around the space stations? If not, when is that supposed to come out? I'm really interested in what that will add to the game. Are there any good write-ups about it?

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
They made the first step in that direction by adding your 3D Avatar into the game. They are creating the second step now, which is a captains quarters type area inside stations where you can walk around that and look at your ships and options in that area versus the current ship bay of the station. The third stage I beleive will be the walking around on the station other than your own personal quarters and interacting to other 3d avatars.

We can at least see progress so far in this area. This is the first time I have seen a real plan from them, and seen some actual work done in this direction sicne I have played the game. I expect the personal lounge area to be released with the next expansion.

If I can find the link to their current work, I will post it here.

EDIT: Here is the latest Developer Blog on the progress of Incarna (walking in stations)
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=874

Reading the blog, it seems it is actually being used in the test server, so you can log into the test server and see how it works now. I may do that just to check it out.

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow! I assume you were running those sites as part of a corp. op?

Just me and 2 others. We live in a C4 static C4. If the C4 we connect to is empty, we just bust it with a couple orcas (only takes about 10 minutes). The C4 we connected to had 14 sites, so we ran them all. Then we trash talked the guys in there for a bit (since one of them spoke in local by mistake saying he could man the POS guys, thinking we might attack... we probably would have if we were not more interested in isk, since they had a fail fit POS with no ecm or warp scrams, and just 4 small and 2 medium autocannons). We then closed the wormhole and the next one we had was empty of people and had 18 anomalies as well as 2 radar and 1 mag site which we ran first. We got lucky on the mag and radar sites with really good drops (we also averaged 8 melted nanoribbins per site), and total haul was 4.5bill for the 3 of us.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Finally decided to get into manufacturing/production with my alt. Was kinda left in a hmm what to do position with the alt since it was purely a trade character and my personal logistics. After finishing Freighter/JF/Industrial Command all to V was pretty much out of stuff possible for trading/hauling.

Should be interesting since I haven't messed much with making stuff in eve before, I have tons of datacores and all kinds of salvage and junk as well.

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
Should be interesting since I haven't messed much with making stuff in eve before, I have tons of datacores and all kinds of salvage and junk as well.

Make sure you do your market research before jumping in. There's plenty of things you can make with salvage and junk that won't sell for much more than the salvage and junk. Plenty of things that will sell for less.