EVE!

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Because you warp between the areas you do things at, you always end up fighting people at places where they do stuff. You can't fight someone in warp, since that is not one of the game mechanics. So you usually fight on gates, since the only way to move from system to system is by taking a gate or a wormhole. The other common places are on a Wormhole, on a station, at a belt, at a planet, at a moon, at a POS, at a mission site, at a Plex, and at a safespot. I probably forgot a few, but the easiest and laziest way to find a fight is to sit at an active gate.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Very nice. I like your efficiency in those large BS fights. I should stop taking BS gangs to OMS, and start heading your way.

There is never any counter in OMS it seems.

EDIT: Was the Golem with them? I love getting Mauraders. I think I have only killed two Golems in my Eve career.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Very nice. I like your efficiency in those large BS fights. I should stop taking BS gangs to OMS, and start heading your way.

There is never any counter in OMS it seems.

EDIT: Was the Golem with them? I love getting Mauraders. I think I have only killed two Golems in my Eve career.

To be honest, the Amarr militia are just bad .. at least in our TZ. We actually just came back from a visit to the Galls up nearish to OMS. Personally, I don't like going up there because it usually ends up with some sort of fail. This time, all we hear is "buncha caps to kill, come up and help us." It was dead down near us, so sure, why not? We jump a few carriers up for this:

http://gallente.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=9275649

Don't think all the kills are posted yet, but it was a complete waste, no idea why we came.. maybe it was poor planing, maybe there was supposed to be some counter drop? I dunno, but it was dumb. But what do I know? I just go where I'm told. :p

Sure, come on down sometime. :)

As far as the Golem, I'm fairly certain that guy is an ISK buyer/idiot/both? He gets his pretty terribad Domi popped, then jumps back into his home system, grabs that Golem and comes back. Our target caller broke out into laughter when he saw it pop on grid. :p I'll never pass up a free Marauder kill.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
05:16:33 Notify Akhenat0n has initiated self-destruct of their Nyx, it will explode in 120 seconds.
05:18:33 Notify Nyx belonging to Akhenat0n self-destructs.

Our small little fleet followed a Legion to a planet, he popped a cyno, Nyx came through, we bumped the Nyx till our HICs arrived, we dropped what little we had online.. he self-destructed at like 15% armor. :(

Cyno: http://www.minmatar-militia.org/kb/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=187837

I wanted the SC KM, I'm a pad sanda. :(

RIP Abso, thanks for the bumps
http://www.minmatar-militia.org/kb/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=187841

Last edited:

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
One thing I didnt like about this game was it seemed like PVP revolved around camping gates. So you just spent the whole time jumping from gate to gate, it seemed very constricting. And going out to PVP meant sitting at a gate or sitting at a gate while a scout jumped gates looking for something for your group to shoot at.

As FK mentioned, you can always hunt down ratters/plexers. This works best if you have an alt to fly a covert ops with a probe launcher so that you can probe people down.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
05:16:33 Notify Akhenat0n has initiated self-destruct of their Nyx, it will explode in 120 seconds.
05:18:33 Notify Nyx belonging to Akhenat0n self-destructs.

Our small little fleet followed a Legion to a planet, he popped a cyno, Nyx came through, we bumped the Nyx till our HICs arrived, we dropped what little we had online.. he self-destructed at like 15% armor. :(

Cyno: http://www.minmatar-militia.org/kb/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=187837

I wanted the SC KM, I'm a pad sanda. :(

RIP Abso, thanks for the bumps
http://www.minmatar-militia.org/kb/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=187841

That sucks about the Nyx, but at least the Legion was a nice kill.

How do you like that Absolution fit? I am going to buy a new Abaddon and Absolution this weekend, and would like a good fit. I was planning on fitting an active tank on the Absolution and use it more as a solo ship, but your fit as a fleet ship would probably be more useful. I can continue to use my Myrmidon and Pilgrim as less expensive solo platforms.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
That sucks about the Nyx, but at least the Legion was a nice kill.

How do you like that Absolution fit? I am going to buy a new Abaddon and Absolution this weekend, and would like a good fit. I was planning on fitting an active tank on the Absolution and use it more as a solo ship, but your fit as a fleet ship would probably be more useful. I can continue to use my Myrmidon and Pilgrim as less expensive solo platforms.

I just can't bring myself to actively tank a PvP solo ship that doesn't have a rep bonus or nos bonus. My pilgrim is actively tanked and that works out just fine, I just don't do it on an Abso. The passive tank is big enough in that if I'm killing something alone, I should pop it before it pops me. If I die it's because 1) I shouldn't have engaged that target or 2) he brought friends. Either way, I most likely would have died (faster) with an active tank in either of those cases. Also, that Abso is damned expensive; with current prices that loss was probably close to 300m, I'd say CS V is an absolute must to to fly it, and near perfect tanking/medium laser skills to make it worth it.

So long story short, I don't solo with it that often, so I like the big passive tank fleet fit to make it some nice bait that can sit more than a system out from backup, and some extra decent BC dps with a pretty massive tank (especially if you throw some LG slaves in). It's a bit of a novelty ship for me. Also, I don't really solo that often (read: next to never), I don't have a whole lot of free time to play so during the weeks that I do, I like to get some good fleet action. So my solo opinion of the Abso may be fairly poor. :)

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I just can't bring myself to actively tank a PvP solo ship that doesn't have a rep bonus or nos bonus. My pilgrim is actively tanked and that works out just fine, I just don't do it on an Abso. The passive tank is big enough in that if I'm killing something alone, I should pop it before it pops me. If I die it's because 1) I shouldn't have engaged that target or 2) he brought friends. Either way, I most likely would have died (faster) with an active tank in either of those cases. Also, that Abso is damned expensive; with current prices that loss was probably close to 300m, I'd say CS V is an absolute must to to fly it, and near perfect tanking/medium laser skills to make it worth it.

So long story short, I don't solo with it that often, so I like the big passive tank fleet fit to make it some nice bait that can sit more than a system out from backup, and some extra decent BC dps with a pretty massive tank (especially if you throw some LG slaves in). It's a bit of a novelty ship for me.

You know, I do have a low-grade slave set that I never use. I still need the omega, but I think I will buy that with the Abaddon and Absolution this weekend. Yeah it will probably cost nearly a billion when it is all set and done, but I kind of like the idea of flying the Abaddon and Absolution with slaves, it would bring my EHP up around 250K or so I think. (What is your EHP with that setup? Mine would be slightly lower since I only have CS4, but I do have nearly perfect armor tanking skills.)

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
You know, I do have a low-grade slave set that I never use. I still need the omega, but I think I will buy that with the Abaddon and Absolution this weekend. Yeah it will probably cost nearly a billion when it is all set and done, but I kind of like the idea of flying the Abaddon and Absolution with slaves, it would bring my EHP up around 250K or so I think. (What is your EHP with that setup? Mine would be slightly lower since I only have CS4, but I do have nearly perfect armor tanking skills.)

Something like 182-183k with LG slaves. I also usually have at least a 3% medium energy turret dmg implant (Lancer G1-Gamma I think?) in which gives like 703 dps/1111 alpha or so with heat/warriors. So it's just an odd little ship. Well more tank with slightly more dps than a BC (at least some BCs) at a solid BS cost.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Something like 182-183k with LG slaves. I also usually have at least a 3% medium energy turret dmg implant (Lancer G1-Gamma I think?) in which gives like 703 dps/1111 alpha or so with heat/warriors. So it's just an odd little ship. Well more tank with slightly more dps than a BC (at least some BCs) at a solid BS cost.

Thanks. At about 200M ISK to buy and fit, maybe I will wait a little longer and just get the Abaddon (which will cost about the same but have a slightly better tank and better DPS, at the cost of mobility). I think I will still get the omega LG slave implant though. I have been putting that off for probably more than a year now, so I should just do it. I need to start using my slave set, or else what was the point in buying it? It isn't like I don't have a good set of skills already and the lower SP/hour is going to really hurt that much.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Thanks. At about 200M ISK to buy and fit, maybe I will wait a little longer and just get the Abaddon (which will cost about the same but have a slightly better tank and better DPS, at the cost of mobility). I think I will still get the omega LG slave implant though. I have been putting that off for probably more than a year now, so I should just do it. I need to start using my slave set, or else what was the point in buying it? It isn't like I don't have a good set of skills already and the lower SP/hour is going to really hurt that much.

Only 200m to buy/fit? I'm jealous. Paying Rens prices it'd probably run me near 275, if I chose not to use any of the fittings from my "spare/loot" pile. I know what you mean about your slaves, I have a LG set that I next to never use because something really bugs me about not having my +4's in.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Tics tried to gank one of our freighters .. we scrambled fairly quickly for the save.

http://www.minmatar-militia.org/kb/?a=kill_related&kll_id=188733

Battle report is a bit messed up due to timestamp groupings, but we traded a BC for 6 Tic BSs and a rifter. We definitely had numbers by the time we all landed and I think we had a scimi on field, too, so really we had a fair advantage. Still always nice to roflstomp Amamake's resident piwates, and hand Lukka his first loss "since Octoboer." :p

It's nice that there's been a fair bit of action lately, I hadn't been able to play much for awhile. :(

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Tics tried to gank one of our freighters .. we scrambled fairly quickly for the save.

http://www.minmatar-militia.org/kb/?a=kill_related&kll_id=188733

Battle report is a bit messed up due to timestamp groupings, but we traded a BC for 6 Tic BSs and a rifter. We definitely had numbers by the time we all landed and I think we had a scimi on field, too, so really we had a fair advantage. Still always nice to roflstomp Amamake's resident piwates, and hand Lukka his first loss "since Octoboer." :p

It's nice that there's been a fair bit of action lately, I hadn't been able to play much for awhile. :(

Ahh, so Lukka likes to run does he? I think it is funny those that fight a lot, but only die on occasion, since they usually high tail it when the going gets tough. Although I have a similar efficiency to Lukka, so I shouldn't talk I guess.

I have also been playing far less. After getting 149 kills in February (even taking a week off to take my daughter to Disney World), I only got around 30 kills in March. I think I have a total of 5 kills in April so far, so things aren't really looking up for this month either. I can't remember the last fleet battle I had. The last two BS gangs I saw ran away before I was able to catch them.

I did manage to KM whore on a prowler yesterday at least. It was the first "kill" in my new Abbadon. I found that with LG Slaves I have 180K EHP according to the fitting screen, and according to EFT I have 800DPS. I still kind of like the Megathron with my 1100 DPS, even if it only has 100K EHP.

May I ask what the difference is between what you guys do and what the Pirates do?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Ahh, so Lukka likes to run does he? I think it is funny those that fight a lot, but only die on occasion, since they usually high tail it when the going gets tough. Although I have a similar efficiency to Lukka, so I shouldn't talk I guess.

Yeah, I have a similar efficiency as well (mostly because I don't spend much time soloing), but what separates Lukka is his point total. He spends the vast vast vast majority of his time either on station with his carrier alt doing risk-free PvP that way, or flying around in a long distance locking/whoring pilgrim where he'll just uncloak when others are fighting, whore every KM, and cloak up. He doesn't get to be #1 on Battle Clinic by playing normally, I suppose. :)

I have also been playing far less. After getting 149 kills in February (even taking a week off to take my daughter to Disney World), I only got around 30 kills in March. I think I have a total of 5 kills in April so far, so things aren't really looking up for this month either. I can't remember the last fleet battle I had. The last two BS gangs I saw ran away before I was able to catch them.

Yeah, EVE is definitely one of those hit or miss games when it comes to action. Until a few weeks ago I was only logging on once/twice a week and it seemed like nothing was ever happening when I did log on. :(

I did manage to KM whore on a prowler yesterday at least. It was the first "kill" in my new Abbadon. I found that with LG Slaves I have 180K EHP according to the fitting screen, and according to EFT I have 800DPS. I still kind of like the Megathron with my 1100 DPS, even if it only has 100K EHP.

The Abaddon is by far my personal favorite BS, but you've gotta respect the in-your-face pwnsauce that the Mega brings. It stings. :)

May I ask what the difference is between what you guys do and what the Pirates do?

I suppose that depends on what pirates we're talking about? If you're referring to the Tics, then I suppose quite a bit. The most basic difference, obviously, is that we don't GCC very often, and they're -10. Aside from that, the Tics spend 95% of their time camping the Oso/Ama gate with nano Canes, Lachesises (Lachesisae? :p), and SBing BSs (Rokh) for pods warping to the gate. If they're not doing that, they MAY come off the gate with a fairly solid/large fleet consisting of no less than 15 BCs/BSs, 3-4 logi, a few recons, and tackle - but this is far and few between for them, they don't like to fight normal style fleet fights. We don't often camp gates for nearly the amount of time the Tics do, if we are camping a gate, it's usually because we know an enemy fleet is coming that way shortly, if not.. we'll camp for a few minutes and then leave once our ADD kicks in. Other than that, we (by that I mean people in my corp) do tons of solo PvP, skirmish PvP, and medium sized BC/BS battles. We're a FW corp so that's just a vehicle for PvP for us and provides us with a fair bit (although not recently) of WTs that we do not have to GCC to fight, I guess that's the long and the short of it?

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Makes sense. You don't get GCC often, because you have plenty of outlaws and war targets that make it so you don't need to get GCC. It does make it slightly harder to fight as an outlaw, since you have to take the gateguns into account when you are planning out a battle.

I personally suck balls at nano fleets. I can FC a good short range slug fest RR BS fleet or BC fleet with logi and tackle with the best of them, but when it comes to keeping range and distance I suck hardcore. It is definitely something I need work on. When I engage one of those fleets, I only ever lose if I don't have any logistics support, but I don't usually win much either. The nano fleets never have enough DPS to break a tank, but they are fast enough that I usually only get 2-3 of them before the rest bug out. At least I know that I can engage a nano fleet without fear of losses, unless they greatly outnumber me, since they just don't have the DPS necessary to take out an organized gang.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Makes sense. You don't get GCC often, because you have plenty of outlaws and war targets that make it so you don't need to get GCC. It does make it slightly harder to fight as an outlaw, since you have to take the gateguns into account when you are planning out a battle.

I personally suck balls at nano fleets. I can FC a good short range slug fest RR BS fleet or BC fleet with logi and tackle with the best of them, but when it comes to keeping range and distance I suck hardcore. It is definitely something I need work on. When I engage one of those fleets, I only ever lose if I don't have any logistics support, but I don't usually win much either. The nano fleets never have enough DPS to break a tank, but they are fast enough that I usually only get 2-3 of them before the rest bug out. At least I know that I can engage a nano fleet without fear of losses, unless they greatly outnumber me, since they just don't have the DPS necessary to take out an organized gang.

Yep, it's just nice to not have to worry about GCC/Gateguns and related mechanics when fighting. We have enough pirates in Ama/Metro and FW WTs that it's rarely an issue. I agree about nano fleets, too, it's one of those things the Tics do really well. Don't often lose much to them if you have the discipline not to chase them one by one and get picked off, but you don't win much either as you can't catch 'em. So it tends to be one of those "Oh we caught 1 before it got up to speed, and they popped our hero tackle" and then everyone disengages. :p Some people love that skirmish stuff, but to me, it looks like a lot of moving around and little fighting. :p

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh my god, I have become a miner.... (at least for a little while). We are building capital ships (carriers to be exact) for our WH. And since we always have 2-3 grav and ladar sites, I have become a miner.... Watch those stripminers strip....

I have to say, it isn't too bad if you do it semi afk (i.e. watch TV and when you empty your cargo to a can, check to see if someone has popped probes). Now grant it, we have not had too many issues with other people comming into our WH to mess with us (and when we have we gave them a fast trip back to empire). The best was a 15 or 16 ship blob that thought they were going to take on our tengu anom fleet. Little did they realize that our tengu fit has eccm, rr, and warp scramblers on it. The carrier we already have also tends to keep the riff-raff out as well.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Damn extended downtime!

Only time I feel like a druggie looking for their next fix, or at least how I imagine they feel.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So anyone else run into issues with the new patch? I have noticed that when you switch ships at a POS SMA, it is a lot more likely that your previous ship will not get loaded into the SMA, but just sit in space as if you ejected.

So we joined an alliance. Costs were not bad (20mill a month), but they have their own Vent server, so it is really just chipping in for access to that. And of course, the day we join the alliance gets war dec'ed. To be honest, we actually enjoyed that fact since when we are in k-space we love to have some targets to shoot at. I actually left a combat pilot near Jita just in case someone decided to war dec us, and with him being a recon pilot, solo hunting is his thing.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
From what I heard with the new patch, Orca corp hangars are now scannable but still don't drop anything. If it is true, might want to not transport anything super valuable in their for a little bit till all the gankers learn it wont drop and even then you'll have to deal with potential dicks wanting to destroy something extremely valuable.

I'm glad I caught that on the forums cause I was using my alt to move a ton of my stuff pretty far (joining a new corp) and instead dropped all my super expensive stuff in my cov ops ships instead to move those items.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Yeah, since the new patch modules will continue to run between gate jumps. I actually like this, since I have the benefit of my DC2 running as soon as I jump instead of having to activate it now.

War decs don't affect me much, since I live in low sec. The war targets never enter low-sec and I never enter high-sec so it ends up them just ganking someone who isn't paying attention while running missions in high-sec. The last time a war target entered our space was NOIR, and they would run from any organized gang we put together, since the first day they tried to fight us, and got their asses handed to them - we killed like 10-12 of their RR BSes, and lost 0. After that they would jsut use fast gank fleets and try to catch people away from help.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Fallen Kell - 20M a month? That is what we "charge" a month for a corp. Covers the cost of the Alliance fee and kicks a little extra into our ship replacement program.

This past week has been crazy good for kills. Not many, but lots of high value onces that drop good loot.

Michael

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Fallen Kell - 20M a month? That is what we "charge" a month for a corp. Covers the cost of the Alliance fee and kicks a little extra into our ship replacement program.

This past week has been crazy good for kills. Not many, but lots of high value onces that drop good loot.

Michael

Yeah,

This all happened in one day in one system, at various times:

http://nawti.evekb.co.uk/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=1775286
A freighter carrying 700M worth of stuff in low-sec? (500M dropped)

http://nawti.evekb.co.uk/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=1775452
A hauler seemingly carrying everything the guy owned in low-sec (also 500M dropped)

http://nawti.evekb.co.uk/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=1775289
A faction fitted Gila, in the same system just cruising around.

There were many more high value drops, but this one day in that one system illustrates how lucky of a week it was for us.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
While looking around for targets, I found a pair of people camping a station in a Maelstrom and Astarte. I swapped to my Abaddon and started heading there to act as bait for them. I was nice and waited for a guy to fit his ship, and while waiting, the Astarte Pilot docked and logged, while the Maelstrom pilot was still there at undock.

I figured I missed my chance, but I flew all the way there, so I said screw it and decided to try anyway. I warped to the station, got my backup on the gate, and undocked. I aligned then warped back to the gate, and the Maelstrom never bothered to even target me. At this point I thought that maybe he was AFK, so I sent in a drake to do the same thing. Once he said he still was sitting there and not targeting him, I had him engage him and had the rest of us warp in to try to kill him before he docked. He must have been AFK, since we not only killed his faction fit maelstrom in docking radius, we also got his crystal clone as well:

http://nawti.evekb.co.uk/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=1776365
http://nawti.evekb.co.uk/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=1776367