Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 235 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I know I can stake and I know earnings are higher right now then they'll be in the future, but I don't feel like being beta tester for early staking. I'd rather play it safe for now.

Some are saying DeFi is an option but I've been out of the loop for a while and I don't even know where to start. Savings accounts are useless nowadays.

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
Some are saying DeFi is an option but I've been out of the loop for a while and I don't even know where to start. Savings accounts are useless nowadays.
If you are ok with having some of your coins in the custody of a major exchange like Binance, they offer multiple ways to earn interest with DeFi or Staking with many different coins.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Savings accounts have been useless since Great Recession. I realize that not everyone on this site is a Techie with lots of disposable income, but if you have disposable income it makes more sense to invest as much as you can instead. Stocks have done great since Great Recession, they've pretty much seen double digit increases every year since 2009. My asset allocation is roughly 5% in cash for emergencies, 15% in stock ETFs, 30% in tax deferred retirement accounts all invested in stock ETFs, I've been throwing what I can afford to lose into crypto for the past few years and thanks to recent crypto bubble it is now 50% of my assets. Never thought I'd see that day, really curious where it's going to go in the next 10 years.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Savings accounts have been useless since Great Recession. I realize that not everyone on this site is a Techie with lots of disposable income, but if you have disposable income it makes more sense to invest as much as you can instead. Stocks have done great since Great Recession, they've pretty much seen double digit increases every year since 2009. My asset allocation is roughly 5% in cash for emergencies, 15% in stock ETFs, 30% in tax deferred retirement accounts all invested in stock ETFs, I've been throwing what I can afford to lose into crypto for the past few years and thanks to recent crypto bubble it is now 50% of my assets. Never thought I'd see that day, really curious where it's going to go in the next 10 years.

The way governments are printing money, and the fact that the US government did absolutely nothing to prevent another crash because it's completely owned by Wall Street (i.e. zero new legislation enacted) means that there is going to be another one much larger than the last. This time there will be no taxpayer funded bailouts however as the well is dry. Here in Canada we came out of 2009 relatively unscathed as we have actual banking regulations and don't have 'Citizen's United.' This one will pull everyone down because of COVID.

It's actually an interesting (unnerving) subject we're reviewing in one of my high level derivatives classes right now. Crypto may be the way to go, unless governments say it isn't. As always, the only ones that will really benefit are those in power, one way or another.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
As it did in 1986, 1999, and 2007... ;) Stock markets going through the roof without the economics to support it is not a good thing.

Yes, but it can be a wonderful thing if you are prepared to take advantage of those moments. I plan to DCA and HODL, so all time highs and major crashes are all pretty exciting to me :).

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Yes, but it can be a wonderful thing if you are prepared to take advantage of those moments. I plan to DCA and HODL, so all time highs and major crashes are all pretty exciting to me :).

You obviously didn't lose your house/job/retirement savings like so many millions of Americans did last time. Great for a handful of individuals, but speculation is toxic for the long-term health of the country. Nobody ever learns down there. Not to turn this political, but this 'me' thinking is literally killing your country and allowing China the 'in' that it needs.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
You obviously didn't lose your house/job/retirement savings like so many millions of Americans did last time. Great for a handful of individuals, but speculation is toxic for the long-term health of the country. Nobody ever learns down there. Not to turn this political, but this 'me' thinking is literally killing your country and allowing China the 'in' that it needs.

No, I didn't. I graduated from college at the beginning of the recession, and finding a job with a BA and no experience on top of tons of student loans was an arduous process I don't care to repeat. Now that my debt has been reduced, I am diversifying wealth and preparing my family for the next recession/depression as best I can.

BTC and ETH, along with many other things, are things I actively research as long-term investments, and I very much believe in them. Do you consider such investments toxic for the long-term health of the country? Are we not supposed to invest in the things we believe in?

I witnessed many people lose house/job/retirement savings, which is a big reason why I live frugally and invest small amounts consistently over time. And still, the majority of my cash is in standard savings accounts doing nothing.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So. I've got a Vega 56 just sitting there doing nothing and electricity prices of $0.11 per kwh. Can someone recommend a crypto wallet, miner, and mining pool to get my feet wet, (Win10 64bit)

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
@Paratus

You can mine to Metamask. Ethermine is your pool, and Phoenixminer is one of the best. Of course I recommend a different wallet for long term storage.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Probably just a dip, IMO. This happens a lot. Of course who knows?

linaaslt

Aug 8, 2013
So. I've got a Vega 56 just sitting there doing nothing and electricity prices of $0.11 per kwh. Can someone recommend a crypto wallet, miner, and mining pool to get my feet wet, (Win10 64bit)
I mine with NiceHash, last couple days it was mining 10$+ a day. Normaly it used to be 3.5$ a day. Still profitable, maybe using some other miner you could get better results.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I finally got around to trying out mining. Not sure if doing right. First made a metamask wallet/account and the downloaded t-rex. Modified the config for a couple pools to make sure my metamask wallet Id was being used and that I was hitting US servers. Ran t-rex and was getting like 80MH/s on my 3090. Looked it up and it seemed low. I tried on pheonix and wineth next. Both gave me the same thing. I looked into using afterburner to tune a bit, but nothing changed. Next I tried NiceHash and it said my driver has a forced cap on it. Guessing this is why it is low? Right now on 466.27 drivers and not sure which driver would be best for my 3090 for mining.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I finally got around to trying out mining. Not sure if doing right. First made a metamask wallet/account and the downloaded t-rex. Modified the config for a couple pools to make sure my metamask wallet Id was being used and that I was hitting US servers. Ran t-rex and was getting like 80MH/s on my 3090. Looked it up and it seemed low. I tried on pheonix and wineth next. Both gave me the same thing. I looked into using afterburner to tune a bit, but nothing changed. Next I tried NiceHash and it said my driver has a frfeorced cap on it. Guessing this is why it is low? Right now on 466.27 drivers and not sure which driver would be best for my 3090 for mining.
Did you check to see if your 3090 is throttling? Download GPU-Z, go to the sensors tab, then look at the PerfCap Reason. If it's not green and reading Pwr, then you are being throttled. Download HWiNFO64, scroll down to your card, and look at the Memory Junction Temperature. If it reads higher than 110C, then your memory is too hot.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Did you check to see if your 3090 is throttling? Download GPU-Z, go to the sensors tab, then look at the PerfCap Reason. If it's not green and reading Pwr, then you are being throttled. Download HWiNFO64, scroll down to your card, and look at the Memory Junction Temperature. If it reads higher than 110C, then your memory is too hot.

It isn't throttling. I have water cooling on both front and back of the card through a chiller. It's like 10c underload. It was the driver. Had to use DDU to remove the old drivers in safe mode and then install non DCH drivers. Running at 120+ MH/s now easy.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011

I'm on 461.92. 115-116mh/s with +800 memory and power limit set to 73%.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
It isn't throttling. I have water cooling on both front and back of the card through a chiller. It's like 10c underload. It was the driver. Had to use DDU to remove the old drivers in safe mode and then install non DCH drivers. Running at 120+ MH/s now easy.

Nice! What are your memory temps under HW64? My buddy is looking to watercool his 3090. What settings are you using to pull off that 120+ MH/s, that's awesome!

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Congrats. That is a pretty nice hashrate. My 3090 gets about 118MH/s with it's stock cooler. I use +900 mem, and I have an afterburner profile to undervolt the core to minimum voltage and about 1400 MHz for mining. I use 90% powerlimit I believe. Temps are pretty good, and it uses under 300W. What power usage are you looking at your settings?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Nice! What are your memory temps under HW64? My buddy is looking to watercool his 3090. What settings are you using to pull off that 120+ MH/s, that's awesome!

-470 core and +1600 memory and power 100%
I also did the KFA2 390w power limit bios on it.
Ran furmark at those settings to make sure I wasn't artifacting as a test for a bit before letting it mine this way.

Memory seems to be hitting 34C average with my setup.

I did run into another bug I noticed when I came back this morning to check on my mining. The hashrate went back into the toilet over night. Soon as I moved the mouse everything back to full speed. Turns out that there is an idle bug with nvidia drivers and windows. Even setting performance to max in the nvidia settings doesn't seem to fix. Reading up people say that leaving Task Manager up and running on the screen stops the idle bug.

Now debating on if I should setup everything else to do mining... I have another 3090, a 3080, a 6800, and a 1080 still lying around here.

Last edited:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
So as I am using nicehash, I am assuming it is bitcoin mining then. I am seeing about $22~ a day at my single card mining rate. Would it be better to switch back over to Ethereum instead?