Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 224 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I even downloaded the latest version of Phoenix and found the same thing.

Can I ask where you d/l Phoenix from? Just from PhoenixMiner.org? I am skittish about getting it from forum sites (after reading about the tricks hackers play with malware and links in posts). 5.4c or the newer Beta?

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
From PhoenixMiner's thread on Bitcointalk.

The Beta? That's the thread I actually downloaded it from (as a zip from the Mega site), but Windows Defender wanted to delete it (which I did) before I even opened the zip. I found this quite suspicious as I didn't realize an unzipped file could install anything. Or is it just the site that Defender doesn't like? As it's my main machine that I also do online banking on (not a separate mining rig), I'm very careful not to allow malware onto it.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
The Beta? That's the thread I actually downloaded it from (as a zip from the Mega site), but Windows Defender wanted to delete it (which I did) before I even opened the zip. I found this quite suspicious as I didn't realize an unzipped file could install anything. Or is it just the site that Defender doesn't like? As it's my main machine that I also do online banking on (not a separate mining rig), I'm very careful not to allow malware onto it.

Defender (and other AV) will want to delete any mining software because hackers install mining software on other peoples' computers to create a mining botnet. As long as you download the mining software from the "official" source, you should be fine.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yes often miners come up as false positives a fair amount. That said, be careful where you DL from. I agree, that the bitcointalk thread is the best resource for info on the miner.

Reactions: aleader

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Defender (and other AV) will want to delete any mining software because hackers install mining software on other peoples' computers to create a mining botnet. As long as you download the mining software from the "official" source, you should be fine.

Ok, thanks, so as long as I d/l it from Phoenixminer.org or Bitcointalk I should be safe.

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
Ok, thanks, so as long as I d/l it from Phoenixminer.org or Bitcointalk I should be safe.
I would stick to the Bitcointalk thread, and making sure any download links were posted by the Phoenix account and not a newly created account. I haven't seen any confirmation that Phoenixminer.org is actually connected to the Phoenix team.

Reactions: aleader

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I would stick to the Bitcointalk thread, and making sure any download links were posted by the Phoenix account and not a newly created account. I haven't seen any confirmation that Phoenixminer.org is actually connected to the Phoenix team.

Oh, ok, thanks for the heads up. Very deceiving if it's a scam site. Looks like the official one, and it's the first one that comes up for me when I google it.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I didn't want to complicate things so I finally got around to installing Nicehash tonight. I set my 5700XT at 1225 MHz, 750 mV, 1850 MHz on the VRAM (through the AMD software). I seem to be averaging about 53-54MH/s at around 100 - 105W. I kept my fan speed around 990RPM and it's hovering around 59C.

I bought a wall plugin meter that tells me my system is drawing about 200W while mining. At idle it draws about 85W, although it does draw about 120W when a browser window is open. Do I need to keep all these windows open for the miner to run, or can I just keep the DOS-like one open?

The first thing I found confusing was the wallets. I didn't realize Nicehash had it's own wallet. I was trying to put in an address for Coinomi, but I couldn't even figure out how to get that off of Coinomi after I signed up for it. I still don't know how to get it over there, or when/if I should be doing that?

The other really annoying (and unnerving) thing is Windows Defender constantly giving warnings about files and quarantining or outright removing them (i.e NBMiner). It's telling me about very scary Trojans (Severe) about every 20 minutes. I'm assuming this is Nicehash installing/switching miners? Should I be worried about allowing any of these? For all it's 'ease of use', Nicehash seems pretty complicated. ;)

Last edited:

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
That is a pretty good hashrate for ETH on a 5700XT. Seems like you found an optimal spot already. My 5700XT Nitro+ in the other rig does about 50MH/s with stock memclock and coreclock of about 1250. Reported in phoenixminer running about 95W at about 770 mV on the core.

I have not used nicehash before though, so I cannot really answer your other questions. There may be way to tell it to just use ETH mining? I am not sure, I will let others chime in here.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The other really annoying (and unnerving) thing is Windows Defender constantly giving warnings about files and quarantining or outright removing them (i.e NBMiner). It's telling me about very scary Trojans (Severe) about every 20 minutes. I'm assuming this is Nicehash installing/switching miners? Should I be worried about allowing any of these? For all it's 'ease of use', Nicehash seems pretty complicated.
That doesn't sound right... did you click the "bell" icon, and see notifications, there should be one there about setting a Windows Defender exception.

Though, where did you get nicehash from? www.nicehash.com , after signing up for an account / wallet there? Or on some forum (bad idea). The only real legit place to download nicehash client is their github page, which they link from the site after logging in. Then set a Windows Defender exception for the directory. (I use the Zip file version myself.)

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
That doesn't sound right... did you click the "bell" icon, and see notifications, there should be one there about setting a Windows Defender exception.

Though, where did you get nicehash from? www.nicehash.com , after signing up for an account / wallet there? Or on some forum (bad idea). The only real legit place to download nicehash client is their github page, which they link from the site after logging in. Then set a Windows Defender exception for the directory. (I use the Zip file version myself.)

I checked the bell in Nicehash, there were no warnings or notifications. I'm just going by the notifications in Windows on the right hand side. I did download it from the Nicehash.com site ('Get Started'), from their Github page. I followed the tutorial video from Hash Raptor (that's why I downloaded Coinomi). I have read a lot of other forum posts all over reddit asking the same question about the Trojan notifications in Nicehash (back to 2017).

I'm guessing (hoping) they are legit and Windows is just overreacting. The file locations are in the 'Nicehash' area when I click on the defender warnings. I accepted all of them :grimacing:

Last edited:

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
That is a pretty good hashrate for ETH on a 5700XT. Seems like you found an optimal spot already. My 5700XT Nitro+ in the other rig does about 50MH/s with stock memclock and coreclock of about 1250. Reported in phoenixminer running about 95W at about 770 mV on the core.

I have not used nicehash before though, so I cannot really answer your other questions. There may be way to tell it to just use ETH mining? I am not sure, I will let others chime in here.

After some tweaking, I get about 0.527 MH/W at 53.8 MH/s avg. This seems to be the best at 1864MHz/1250MHz/750mV/102W. Moving the voltage up just increased my power usage and decreased the hashrate. Moving the clockspeed up or down did the same. Pushing the memory to 1865 dramatically reduced the hashrate. Even at 1250/750/1750 my power didn't go below 102W, so it's no point dropping them.

EDIT: Updated settings/stats for anyone that may be interested.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Anyone know where to get WORKING M.2 NVMe to USB-socket PCI riser stubs?

I bought a bunch off of Amazon, $1.78 shipped ea., bought a qty., tried two, one in each M.2 NVMe slot on a Asus ROG STRIX B450-F ATX AM4 mobo, neither one worked, but the riser worked fine with a normal stub in a regular slot.

I just built this this morning, using a 6-GPU server case (came with an additional 8-GPU plate). What makes this server case unique, is that the mobo has the standard I/O and slots available, as well as the GPU mounting plate(s).

So, because I'm using an AM4 mobo, and you need to use a Ryzen CPU with that to get all of the PCI-E lanes, and Ryzen CPUs, don't have iGPUs, I'm using a Zotac 2GB GDDR5 card on the mobo's primary PCI-E slot, on the mobo expansion slots in the chassis, and then using GPU risers on everything else. But that limits me to 5 additional GPU risers, unless I use both NVMe slots, with USB risers, then I could potentially utilize 7 cards, in addition to the Zotac.

Maybe I should have put in my Gaming X GTX 1660 ti card, that would have been a better choice for a mining rig, probably. But the Zotac card is short, and that helps with the wiring. I took out the middle fan plate that normally sits at the edge of the mobo area.

I've got 2x Asus and 2x XFX Raw II RX 5700XT cards in there now, and in a pair of other PCs, I've got some refurb RX 5600XT cards that I want to put into the server, to max out the six card slots.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My newly-built mining server with 2x Asus RX 5700XT and 2x XFX 'Raw II' RX 5700XT cards, and a 3800X (I think, 95W or 105W TDP?), ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F ATX mobo, 4x Nerdgearz risers, and a GT 730 2GB GDDR5 for boot display, is currently drawing 725W "at the wall", with a Seasonic 1200W Platinum XP3 PSU.

I plan on moving it over to a 240V 20A circuit next week when parts arrive to do so (metered PDU), and eventually adding in 1x or possibly 2x RX 5600XT cards from my other rigs, which would cut down the usage on my 120V 20A circuit that runs in both the bedroom and living room.

Reactions: lightmanek

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
My newly-built mining server with 2x Asus RX 5700XT and 2x XFX 'Raw II' RX 5700XT cards, and a 3800X (I think, 95W or 105W TDP?), ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F ATX mobo, 4x Nerdgearz risers, and a GT 730 2GB GDDR5 for boot display, is currently drawing 725W "at the wall", with a Seasonic 1200W Platinum XP3 PSU.

I plan on moving it over to a 240V 20A circuit next week when parts arrive to do so (metered PDU), and eventually adding in 1x or possibly 2x RX 5600XT cards from my other rigs, which would cut down the usage on my 120V 20A circuit that runs in both the bedroom and living room.

That doesn't sound very efficient.~ 240mh/s at 725w is .331mh/s per watt. I'd have to think you can tune it for better efficiency.

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
That doesn't sound very efficient.~ 240mh/s at 725w is .331mh/s per watt. I'd have to think you can tune it for better efficiency.
He's about 80w or 20 watts per card higher than where he should be. I think your diagnosis is correct. On top of that less voltage helps with the memory junction temperature, which these cards are super sensitive to.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
He's about 80w or 20 watts per card higher than where he should be. I think your diagnosis is correct. On top of that less voltage helps with the memory junction temperature, which these cards are super sensitive to.
I set all four RX 5700XT cards in Wattman, to 1300Mhz/860mV, and PL -20%. In the mining software (NBMiner), the first card shows 89W for Power, and then the rest of the cards all show around 130W. I'm not sure why the discrepancy. Maybe I need to reset Wattman and try it again, somehow.

Edit: Haven't seen any decreases in hashrates, though, mining for nearly a day now on that rig.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hey larry, you should be able to set clocks and voltages in the miner itself, at least with phoenix and claymore. Also, for 5700XT's, you shouldnt need to set a power limit, just decrease the cvddc and core clocks in the miner. The miner should also be able to set them per card. At around 1200 - 1300MHz, you may also be able to undervolt a bit further. Perhaps just a bit below .8V. What hashrates are reported on the 5700XT's? Also are you touch memclocks at all?

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
I set all four RX 5700XT cards in Wattman, to 1300Mhz/860mV, and PL -20%. In the mining software (NBMiner), the first card shows 89W for Power, and then the rest of the cards all show around 130W. I'm not sure why the discrepancy. Maybe I need to reset Wattman and try it again, somehow.

Edit: Haven't seen any decreases in hashrates, though, mining for nearly a day now on that rig.
At that clock, your voltage setting is actually close to overvolting most cards stock settings (normally I see 1250 mhz at 750mV) . 750mV should be stable at 1300.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
F it, I decided to run this foolishness while it’s cold out ... I have electric heat anyway and office was 54 degrees this morning before I turned it on. Got my 3080 running Phoenix on ethermine pool and paying out to coinbase ... super easy setup, took 15 minutes. Power limit to 60% and RAM to 2675 MHz and I get 101 MH/s at 225 W. Not much of a heater I guess.