Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 215 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Eth doing decent too. $460.61 as I type this. I have about 1k worth mined right now, enough to cover 1 of my GPUs at least. :p When/if I get to a point where it's a couple grand I'll probably cash out. Still need to find a Canadian exchange since the one I was with kinda is gone. Owner took all the money and faked his death. Thankfully I am mining to a private wallet.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Yeah that's the one. Think I had like 20 bucks or something, I don't recall. I just did a small transaction as a test. Some people had 10's of thousands and even more. :eek:
Glad it was only a small amount. I really wonder if the claims are legit or there is actually something fishy going on with quadriga.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Glad it was only a small amount. I really wonder if the claims are legit or there is actually something fishy going on with quadriga.

Yeah the whole thing is fishy. It could really be that the story is true too and that they were just super incompetent for not having a backup. But I'm leaning more towards fraud especially since people traced coin being moved from supposedly "lost" wallets after his "death".

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Yeah that's the one. Think I had like 20 bucks or something, I don't recall. I just did a small transaction as a test. Some people had 10's of thousands and even more. :eek:

I lost 3 eth worth at that time. I did it 2 weeks before the announcement. I speculated it would go down further, so I converted it to $550 cdn. Of course it dropped further, but then the announcement happened.

But I'm leaning more towards fraud especially since people traced coin being moved from supposedly "lost" wallets after his "death".

The recent articles about QuadrigaCX says that the couple(husband and the wife) mixed personal finances with the business ones. They lived a lavish lifestyle, sometimes using customer funds. He was apparently trading on other exchanges, millions of dollars worth and lost some too.

Intelligence doesn't matter as much as morals. Because the latter has the potential for destruction when the person lacks it in areas.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Anyone try mining on Hawaii with latest drivers? I put a 290 Tri X in a system with a Vega 64, and I am only getting 19MH/s about on the 290. Using Windows 1903 with 19.6.2 drivers.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
No they had 8 GB variants of the 290 and 290X, but they were rare and expensive. This one is 4GB hynix.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I checked for that, looks like there wasn't one. I was wondering if maybe 290s were now getting lower performance due to larger DAG size, or if maybe it's just the newest drivers have issues on hawaii mining. I know I used to get around 30MH/s with these cards.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
@Shmee The 290X either didn't have the enhancements for increased DAG sizes that Polaris and later cards got, or AMD just decided not to do it for the pre-Polaris cards.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, well my Fury still does about 30MH/s.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Haven't seen anything yet. We've got a few early 5700XT adopters around here. Not sure if they want to mine ETH with them though.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Haven't seen anything yet. We've got a few early 5700XT adopters around here. Not sure if they want to mine ETH with them though.

Whattomine says 410 days to pay off under current difficult conditions and at $400 after tax and 9 cents per KWh if it uses 130W. Who knows what'll happen to the difficulty levels when in Jan 2020 hybrid PoS Phase 1 drops and cuts block reward to under 1 eth.

I guess you could still mine with it. But rather than being a dedicated miner, you'd use mining to partially pay off your graphics card, like RussianSensation used to do.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Whattomine says 410 days to pay off under current difficult conditions and at $400 after tax and 9 cents per KWh if it uses 130W. Who knows what'll happen to the difficulty levels when in Jan 2020 hybrid PoS Phase 1 drops and cuts block reward to under 1 eth.

I guess you could still mine with it. But rather than being a dedicated miner, you'd use mining to partially pay off your graphics card, like RussianSensation used to do.
The thing is last time I checked you need to switch AMD drivers to compute mode to get good hashrate out of your card. And compute mode can produce issues while gaming. This means that you have to constantly switch between compute and gaming modes depending on what you're doing, and switching between two modes completely reinitializes your videocard completely messing up desktop/open application layout. I stopped mining ETH because it was too annoying to switch modes.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hard to tell yet on the Navi GPUs, my guess is will have to wait for updated miner software. Also, not all AMD cards had the compute switch, only certain ones like Fiji and Polaris AFAIK. I know my 290 cards don't, and neither does my Vega 64.

Also, to update on the Fury I have, yes, it always ran about 30MH/s, and yes, it is running in the same computer with the same drivers as the Vega 64. I replaced the 290 Tri X with it, as that was getting low hashrate as I mentioned. Currently running 19.6.2.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Yeah, no compute switch on Vega as far as I can tell. I think as it is generally, it's probably better to straight up buy the coins rather than mining. However, I pretty much do it for sh!ts and giggles nowadays.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I spun up another node. Used this as the base:
21abK9yUkkL.jpg

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m92p/

Lenovo M92p Tiny (7"x7") PC with an Ivy Bridge i5-3470T (35w CPU), 8GB of DDR3-1600, and a 1TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD. Windows 10 Pro x64 is very usable on this PC.

I'm using Parity to sync since Geth uses a lot more space. In about 12 hours it synced up to about 300000 blocks behind.
This is in addition to my Friendlyarm NanoPC-T4 node running Parity as well. On the NanoPC-T4 my Adata NVME SSD with 350TBW spec, I'm already above 300TBW in about 10 months, but I did have to resync from scratch several times due to the Linux build being somewhat "beta"....the latest update has made it much more stable. Also, setting the "db-compaction" flag to SSD in Parity seems to have helped writes quite a bit (only figured this out about 3 months ago).

There doesn't seem to be much difference in sync speed between a "slow" NVME drive (used in the NanoPC-T4) and a SATA6 SSD drive. I think the bottleneck becomes the CPU at a certain point when processing blocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feld and Elfear

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well the time has come, might retire my mining rig which is mining with two GTX 1070 TIs. Still debating on if to do it or not but my hydro bill (equal billing) shot up from $140/mo to $280/mo. I think the real cause of that is A/C usage because it's been a hot summer and not actually mining but mining is still contributing to some degree with power usage as it's constant. Either way I need to greatly conserve power so I can try to bring my equal billing plan down again. I mined around 2.4eth so far since I started which is worth around $679.72 as I type this. Decent cash but does not even cover the cost of one of my GPUs that I bought. So think I'll cut my losses while I'm ahead.

The tax implications for crypto here in Canada are also super complicated so I don't even know what to do with it. Right now it's "technically" not in my name, but I'm sure the wallet address can be traced to my IP, so I guess it is in my name but if I start transferring it around such as moving it to an exchange and cashing in that's where things get very complicated. I'm not sure how closely the CRA looks at crypto at this point but the more I make the more I might show up on the radar. Pretty much would need a CPA to figure out the tax stuff if I wanted to stay in. Even my regular tax accountant does not know about the crypto rules as they are so niche and separate from typical customer base.

For the time being I'm still mining but think starting tomorrow once hydro is back to peak hour rates I'll turn it off. Was a fun run. This will liberate the hardware too which is new decent hardware so I might make another VM server with it or something. Just need to add more ram. Can also do an ethereum node. If I go that route would it be viable to use spinner disks in raid 5 or 0? I don't really want to use SSDs given how fast they wear out and the cost per TB. I'd have to check how many sata ports the motherboard has, but I'd get that many drives, maybe 2-3TB ones. How big is the chain now days a couple TB or is it much larger?

I'll probably end up just making it a VM server though. I want to experiment with Proxmox so it will be good hardware to do it with.