Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 91 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
These are what most of the risers come with. I think sata is on 12v rail vs 3.3 or 5v for molex and that is the reason. Could be wrong though

Yeah, those came with my risers too and I started out by using a few of them, but NEVER had more than one GPU per single SATA power cable with ONE SATA>Molex power plug. I have a couple of RX470 Nitro's going now and the black SATA power plug is hot to the touch - can't leave my fingers on it for more than 5- seconds. My IR temperature gun (fun toy, btw!) shows the plug as ~40-45C...

It seems the most desirable would be PCI-e plug powered risers we saw discussed a month or so ago, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Yeah, those came with my risers too and I started out by using a few of them, but NEVER had more than one GPU per single SATA power cable with ONE SATA>Molex power plug. I have a couple of RX470 Nitro's going now and the black SATA power plug is hot to the touch - can't leave my fingers on it for more than 5- seconds. My IR temperature gun (fun toy, btw!) shows the plug as ~40-45C...

It seems the most desirable would be PCI-e plug powered risers we saw discussed a month or so ago, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Suklee, what's your power supply again?

I ordered 4x Sapphire 480 Nitro's which hopefully will be here by end of week so I may be able to recreate your problem. 480 Nitro's probably have the same power distribution as the 470 Nitro. I also have a thermal gun (awesome tech) which I use for spot checks and can measure the temps of the Sata to Molex adapters. I find it weird that these 8 pin cards are pulling more watts from the PCIe port than the standard reference cards given the debacle around the power draw on them. Are you running at least a small radial fan for your cards?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, curious as to what settings you had to change? I run +160 core and +450 memory with MSI afterburner and only get about 27MHs with mine.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Hmm, curious as to what settings you had to change? I run +160 core and +450 memory with MSI afterburner and only get about 27MHs with mine.

Info should all be in that image but all I did was...

Set power target to 90%
Changed base/boost to -175Mhz
Increased memory +1350Mhz (or look at the GPU-Z for real speed measurements)

There doesn't appear to be any direct voltage controls. I downloaded Gigabytes OC tool (since it's a GB card) however changing power target changes the effective clock speed and core voltages and is very sensitive. So with 90% and a large memory overclock I get approx 1560Mhz on the core. I may try pushing higher tonight but I suspect this is about as far it'll go before diminishing returns. I don't know the relationship or optimal ratio between core/mem like on Radeon 480's but this seemed like a good balance so far.

Card has Micron memory if that matters.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Interesting, so I gather it is mainly the memory OC that helps with the 1070?

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Interesting, so I gather it is mainly the memory OC that helps with the 1070?

Yes it appears that way. I did take the GPU core down to 1300Mhz and didn't suffer a huge drop in Mh speed so like Radeon's the memory speeds appear make the biggest differences. BTW it ran at 30Mh overnight stable. I'll let it run for 24 hours before messing with it anymore but this is a good sign. FYI the backside of the Gigabyte ITX board has a small heat shield / vertical plate that covers some sort of VRM circuitry. This area of the card get's pretty hot so I'll need to be careful stuffing this card in my Osmi ITX case :D. I increased the fan speed and it helped cool down the back a little. I can't believe how cool and quiet these cards run though. I mean, it's just has a single fan on a 6.7" long card and is quiet! It's really too bad about the DPC latency issue. If they can get this sorted it'll be the perfect dual purpose gaming/mining card.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Hit a mining sweet spot to exit, so retired and sold off my mining rigs to concentrate on trading. Good luck to the miners!

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
The question is when the mining party ends. I'm curious as to when the PoS transition will actually occur. I sure wouldn't mind a delay until the spring :D

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
The question is when the mining party ends. I'm curious as to when the PoS transition will actually occur. I sure wouldn't mind a delay until the spring :D

We'll probably know more after next week. Large Ethereum conference, lot's of talks planned.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Yes it appears that way. I did take the GPU core down to 1300Mhz and didn't suffer a huge drop in Mh speed so like Radeon's the memory speeds appear make the biggest differences. BTW it ran at 30Mh overnight stable. I'll let it run for 24 hours before messing with it anymore but this is a good sign. FYI the backside of the Gigabyte ITX board has a small heat shield / vertical plate that covers some sort of VRM circuitry. This area of the card get's pretty hot so I'll need to be careful stuffing this card in my Osmi ITX case :D. I increased the fan speed and it helped cool down the back a little. I can't believe how cool and quiet these cards run though. I mean, it's just has a single fan on a 6.7" long card and is quiet! It's really too bad about the DPC latency issue. If they can get this sorted it'll be the perfect dual purpose gaming/mining card.

What kind of power consumption are you seeing with that card?

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
It's really too bad about the DPC latency issue. If they can get this sorted it'll be the perfect dual purpose gaming/mining card.
What problem are you having with DPC? I had noticeable audio dropouts when I first installed a GTX 1080, even with the latest drivers but it's gone away once I uninstalled NVIDIA's audio drivers.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
What kind of power consumption are you seeing with that card?

Not sure yet, likely no more than 130W if I had to guess. I'll try to capture power measurements from the wall soon'ish but my 4*480's arrived today, and priority is to get them flashed and mining ASAP.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
What problem are you having with DPC? I had noticeable audio dropouts when I first installed a GTX 1080, even with the latest drivers but it's gone away once I uninstalled NVIDIA's audio drivers.

Hard to say after the DPC driver fix. Need to run some tests to validate everything's good. I'm very sensitive to frame drops, hitching, audio pops, input lag etc which is what I experienced with the WHQL drivers. Given 500 - 600ms DPC latency is still being caused by the Nvidia driver after the fix I'm not 100% sold on the card yet for intense gaming. Not sure when I'll have time to investigate, probably after power measurement's and after I address the 480's this weekend.

mrplc

Sep 18, 2016
What is going on? Not a single new block in the last hour, on the entire ETH network? It seems so, as the main pools are not reporting a single new block for some time...

Update: Ethermine.org says

Major issue with geth. Network seems to be under a DOS attack!

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I was wondering why my mining room got so quiet...

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
My rig seems to be back up and mining again.

Side question for anybody: who also mines Decred?

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Bug / memory leak in Geth exploited a day before Devcon (not a coincidence), exchanges switching to Parity and should be up shortly. Ethereum community moves fast.

And I'll say this again. Thanks attackers for making Ethereum even stronger and now more diversified. We appreciate the bug testing ;)

Reactions: Feld and Raduque

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Gah, lost about 4 hours of mining thanks to that DoS nonsense. Figures that they'd hit the day before Devcon.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So no immediate news on when PoS starts, but it looks like Ethereum got a bump from the DevCon presentation anyway.

Such sharding, much wow.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Dang. ETH is soaring.

I sure don't mind!

It's still early days in the world of Ethereum. Keep in mind Ethereum is only a year and a half old. Plenty of bright minds, big ideas and the drive to make something worthwhile is in place. There was a ton of negative news with The DAO and ETC but this has pushed forward years of mistakes WRT smart contracts. Ethereum has a bright future and if the leadership and enthusiasm sticks around I only see potential and major growth. Sure sell a few coins to cover hydro costs but I think the coin is undervalued given the fundamentanls. Of course I'm a holder and this is just my opinion, feel free to ignore it :)