ES file explorer for snapchat

rrr_15

May 26, 2017
I heard you can download/save snapchat photos with a file manager like es file explorer.

I downloaded es file explorer.

Can anyone give me a step by step on how to do this?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Delete ES File explorer - it's Cheetah Mobile junkware full of ads that pop up even when you're not using it.

Second, learn to take screenshots.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
I've never seen ES File Explorer pop up ads when not being used, and the ads within the app were never particularly intrusive. I *just* upgraded to the paid version earlier this week, mostly as a means to support the app and to see how much of a difference there was between the two.

I think the OP is misunderstanding ES File Explorer's purpose, though. It's used by and large to browse files saved. Providing a psuedo-windows kind of structure or feel to navigate folders on the phone/tablet and any SD cards installed. From within this GUI (graphics user interface), you can navigate to files that otherwise might be hard to find on your phone and open, delete, copy, bluetooth elsewhere, chromecast, etc.

I don't use snapchat and never have. That said, I'm not totally oblivious to what it does, or some of the stuff that's been in the news about it (lots of pictures leaked). But if I were to assume for a moment, based on what I know of it, that the App downloaded a picture file of some sort to your phone or tablet, and then deleted that picture file once you had viewed it within the snapchat app, ES File Explorer might offer you the ability to fairly easily navigate to the folder where the picture is temporarily stored, and then you could open it in something other than snapchat and screen shot it that way, or make a copy of the file to another file location on the phone. That assumes that you use ES File Explorer to do this task before opening it in the snapchat app, where if my understanding is correct, the app disallows screen shots and deletes the picture once viewed.

rrr_15

May 26, 2017
I've never seen ES File Explorer pop up ads when not being used, and the ads within the app were never particularly intrusive. I *just* upgraded to the paid version earlier this week, mostly as a means to support the app and to see how much of a difference there was between the two.

I think the OP is misunderstanding ES File Explorer's purpose, though. It's used by and large to browse files saved. Providing a psuedo-windows kind of structure or feel to navigate folders on the phone/tablet and any SD cards installed. From within this GUI (graphics user interface), you can navigate to files that otherwise might be hard to find on your phone and open, delete, copy, bluetooth elsewhere, chromecast, etc.

I don't use snapchat and never have. That said, I'm not totally oblivious to what it does, or some of the stuff that's been in the news about it (lots of pictures leaked). But if I were to assume for a moment, based on what I know of it, that the App downloaded a picture file of some sort to your phone or tablet, and then deleted that picture file once you had viewed it within the snapchat app, ES File Explorer might offer you the ability to fairly easily navigate to the folder where the picture is temporarily stored, and then you could open it in something other than snapchat and screen shot it that way, or make a copy of the file to another file location on the phone. That assumes that you use ES File Explorer to do this task before opening it in the snapchat app, where if my understanding is correct, the app disallows screen shots and deletes the picture once viewed.

If you had to guess where do you think an unopened snapchat photo would be located in es file explorer....could you possibly give a step by step if its not too much trouble?

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
Top left click the menu button, then choose "home". That's as far as my guess can take you. I've got no clue where snapchat would shove its files.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4imq5l/es_file_explorer_now_installing_adware/

I agree with you on the OP, though. I'm not sure it's possible to grab the pictures - I don't think Snapchat even writes them to a file. I think it has them stored purely in RAM.
Nope, I'm wrong. OP, try this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/androidapps/comments/5z18ne/dev_scthief_a_snapchat_saver_app_that_wont_get/

rrr_15

May 26, 2017
I agree with you on the OP, though. I'm not sure it's possible to grab the pictures - I don't think Snapchat even writes them to a file. I think it has them stored purely in RAM.
Nope, I'm wrong. OP, try this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/androidapps/comments/5z18ne/dev_scthief_a_snapchat_saver_app_that_wont_get/[/QUOTE]

I was about to download this but it says " will have access to modify, delete, read SD card". Not sure, but is this concerning or something to worry about?

Also, it says "requires root". What does requires root mean and how do I know if I have root?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
If you knew what root was, you'd probably have it. I didn't realize it was for root. I can only tell you then that you should just search for an app, or instructions for the airplane mode methods.

Or, just hope whoever you're snapping is OK with you screenshotting.

rrr_15

May 26, 2017
If you knew what root was, you'd probably have it. I didn't realize it was for root. I can only tell you then that you should just search for an app, or instructions for the airplane mode methods.

Or, just hope whoever you're snapping is OK with you screenshotting.

Is it hard to get root? I had the Casper app but got locked out of my snapchat account for 24 hours because they found out about Casper I guess.

Is there an app that cannot be detected by snapchat and doesn't require root?

I heard the airplane mode method doesn't work anymore unfortunately.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Is it hard to get root?
If you have to ask this question, you probably shouldn't be messing around with it. It's quite difficult to achieve and very easy to break your device.

I can't help anymore with snapchat, because I don't use it. I only know what I know from googling for 20 seconds.

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
Not saving the conversation is pretty much the point of Snapchat, so would it not be easier to use a different messenger application if you want to preserve the conversation?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Not saving the conversation is pretty much the point of Snapchat, so would it not be easier to use a different messenger application if you want to preserve the conversation?
Snapchat is used to send nudes that disappear, which is why theres ton of incentive to find a way to save pictures from it.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
root + Xposed + Snapprefs + older version of Snapchat

/data/data/com.snapchat.android/cache/received_image_snaps
/data/media/0/Android/data/com.snapchat.android/cache/tcs_pahn

These are the folders where the photos/videos are stored when they are received, however, they will be deleted when viewed in the app.