Eric Garner all over again

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
i don't think there's anything that can be done to make things better which will take less than another 100-200 years.

There absolutely are things that can be done, if there is only the will to do it.\
We could require real transparency from the police.
Crease a public review board with the power to dismiss police for poor conduct, or recommend charges for criminal behavior.
We could remove the 'qualified immunity' that the police use to murder people.
We could demand that the police be held to a higher standard, instead of practically no standard.
When a cop if caught breaking a law the penalty should be worse than when an average person does, not less.

What and (oblivious to the majority of stupid members here) they ACTUALLY think that this type of unrest HELPS their cause lol.

What do you think happens when you block thousands of people from getting to work, the hospital, buying goods, etc? You think it will win sympathy?

Newflash to the fucking morons here:

Honestly, for the most part they no longer want your sympathy. They want change, and you have made it obvious that they will not get that without hurting you. So, now they intend to make you hurt.
Maybe when you hurt enough you will ask your leaders to do something about it. And then when those leaders predictable 'stance of dominance' response causes you even more harm, maybe you will be willing to actually talk about fixing things.
If not, this will just keep happening and getting worse each time until it does.

Enjoy economic despair, as it produces more and more homeless and more people violently protesting. Such a viscous cycle when the protests are creating what people proclaim to want to resolve.
No, problem was already there, they are just spreading the pain out to those that might have some power to get something done because currently no one cares that they are hurting.

Nov 8, 2012
No, problem was already there, they are just spreading the pain out to those that might have some power to get something done because currently no one cares that they are hurting.

LOL you think that this hurts the rich and powerful? Bud, you got a lot of things to learn in life sugar tits.

Go back to grade-school if you think breaking windows, setting cars on fire, and destroying public property (that tax dollars pay for) hurts the rich in anyway. Quite the opposite, in-fact.

Go back and watch this video AGAIN and realize: You're hurting the people you proclaim to be supporting

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
There absolutely are things that can be done, if there is only the will to do it.\
We could require real transparency from the police.
Crease a public review board with the power to dismiss police for poor conduct, or recommend charges for criminal behavior.
We could remove the 'qualified immunity' that the police use to murder people.
We could demand that the police be held to a higher standard, instead of practically no standard.
When a cop if caught breaking a law the penalty should be worse than when an average person does, not less.

Good luck getting past the police unions.

Honestly, for the most part they no longer want your sympathy. They want change, and you have made it obvious that they will not get that without hurting you. So, now they intend to make you hurt.
Maybe when you hurt enough you will ask your leaders to do something about it. And then when their 'stance of dominance' response causes more harm to you, maybe you will be willing to actually talk about fixing things.

This is disgusting. They're not hitting the powerful. They're burning down buildings where ordinary people work and live. I hope for your sake you're spared the violence you clearly sympathize with.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Good luck getting past the police unions.
That might be one of the things that has to go then.

This is disgusting. They're not hitting the powerful. They're burning down buildings where ordinary people work and live. I hope for your sake you're spared the violence you clearly sympathize with.
There is almost no way to get to the rich and powerful, they live in walled palaces. No, you have to hurt the middle class. You have to hurt the ma and pa store owners. The real problem is that they don't care. Make them care and they will get something done.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Sacrificing a few scapegoats are not enough. We need real change.
I don't agree they are scapegoats at all. It is the real change; police policing police. I expect it will be the norm now. Not withstanding the racist departments that litter the country. Those will have to be smoked out by the feds.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
"Protest, but only nonviolently... no, not that way."

The only protest these fucks would be okay with in kneeling silently in the privacy of your home.

i can't solve the problems. i don't think these protests will solve the problems. looting won't solve the problems. and i don't think anyone can or will solve the problems in our lifetimes.

this is why i plan to eventually move to 20+ acres in the middle of nowhere where anything like this is hopefully 100+ miles away, and police are far away as well.

like my grandpa said, you can't fix this stuff. all you can do it try to avoid it.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012

Do you even read ACTUAL news or just twats from twatters?

In turn, Kleine said, Jake Gardner, owner of The Hive bar near 12th and Harney Streets, will not be charged in the death of James Scurlock. Kleine said he reviewed the evidence — and interviews with witnesses — and determined that Gardner had acted in self-defense.

Kleine played video of the confrontation at a 1:30 p.m. press conference, currently underway. A law enforcement official with knowledge of the video gave this account:

Saturday night, standing outside his downtown bar, Gardner urged the crowd to move along.

Gardner could be seen talking with a group of young men, including Scurlock, and backing up. In one video circulating online, a cellphone user says, "That (expletive) got a gun."

Words were exchanged, and Gardner ended up on his back in the middle of Harney Street. He fired two warning shots, the source said. The skirmish continued, and Gardner remained on his back, with Scurlock getting Gardner in a chokehold. Gardner fired again. That shot hit Scurlock in the neck, killing him.

Reactions: LightPattern

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
i can't solve the problems. i don't think these protests will solve the problems. looting won't solve the problems. and i don't think anyone can or will solve the problems in our lifetimes.

police have always acted like this and nothing is ever going to change their behavior. they basically ruined a family member's career when i was 2 for something that was my fault, and to this day i still vividly remember screaming and crying while watching the cops actions and demeanor. they treated a 2 year old taking a 50 cent toy car out of a store like a bank heist. IDK how many times i've wished i didn't exist because of that.

this unrest will only make their response stronger and give them more power.

this is why i plan to eventually move to 20+ acres in the middle of nowhere where anything like this is hopefully 100+ miles away, and police are far away as well.

like my grandpa said, you can't fix this stuff. all you can do it try to avoid it.
trying nothing and giving up is why this shit continues

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
That's going to be happening plenty but will recede when it's safer to live in the cities for several reasons:

1. The pandemic will be over, under control, not as big a threat, etc.

2. There will be good reasons to have people working in close proximity

3. People will miss the advantages of not living in "the middle of nowhere."

yeah true, in time this'll be a distant memory

it'll be like the 1992 riots - most people hardly remember it nowadays

everything happens in cycles and improvements take decades or centuries

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

police have always acted like this and nothing is ever going to change their behavior. they ruined a family member's career for something that was my fault, and to this day i still vividly remember screaming and crying while watching the cops actions and demeanor. they treated a 2 year old taking a 50 cent toy car out of a store like a bank heist. IDK how many times i've wished i didn't exist because i caused that.

If there is anything I have learned about you Brian, it is that you are a glass is half empty kind of guy. Have you not considered that all of this will force law enforcement to self police better? That is all we need to get this in hand. It won't stop all of it, but it will drop the incidents drastically. It is a police culture issue, and shining a light on it did not work. Lighting shit up just might. What choice was left to them? Peaceful did jack shit, and jack left town.

Reactions: zinfamous and KMFJD

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Do you even read ACTUAL news or just twats from twatters?

Siding with the racist murderer, not surprised. Could it have been that protests were trying to disarm a racist that is bent on killing them? Your racism is showing, might want to tuck that back in.

Reactions: KMFJD

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
yeah true, in time this'll be a distant memory

it'll be like the 1992 riots - most people hardly remember it nowadays

everything happens in cycles and improvements take decades or centuries

Will these protests and riots solve everything? No, but it will continue to shift the discussion and reformations in the right direction. Some police departments are already working closely with their communities and there is much less violence there, there is cooperation. These events will allow people to shine a bright light on the "bad apples" that are still plaguing our police force so the racist wannabe stormtroopers have no where to hide.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

police have always acted like this and nothing is ever going to change their behavior. they ruined a family member's career for something that was my fault, and to this day i still vividly remember screaming and crying while watching the cops actions and demeanor. they treated a 2 year old taking a 50 cent toy car out of a store like a bank heist. IDK how many times i've wished i didn't exist because i caused that.

You can't escape the world, even on 20 acres in the middle of nowhere. I don't have much hope that things will get better, but in the end you have to look at situation and decide what you believe and who's side you're on.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
That might be one of the things that has to go then.

There is almost no way to get to the rich and powerful, they live in walled palaces. No, you have to hurt the middle class. You have to hurt the ma and pa store owners. The real problem is that they don't care. Make them care and they will get something done.

Even if it means killing them? If that's what it takes to get to the rich and powerful?