Ergonomic chair, office chair, gaming chair?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
My fairly cheap desk chair at home is coming apart in the headreset area (I get faux leather flakes in my hair/neck lulz) so I'm in the market for a new one. I've always had fairly cheap chairs (~$100-~125 abouts) and this time I have the money and will to get something pretty nice. But looking at them, those Herman Miller Aeron chairs are way more than I'd pay although there's some Steelcase ones that are within my budget ($500 maximum).

I think I'm gonna go to Staples and see what they have there, that way and I sit in them first.

WHY_U_NO post in Peripherials subforum???

the BEST because i say so chair in the whole wide world is the RH Logic 400 don't bother factchecking i know everything and i am always right.

1. fact!
this chair is actually really cool. it's a medical chair, and sitting on it is amazing.
2. fact!
it's absurdly expensive
3.fact!
you can get one refurbished (these things are built like tanks, i can't imagine you being able to break it if you had a sledgehammer) for a fraction of the cost... i'm talking down to $200 from 1grand.

i dont know if you need this much sweg, but if you do, get it.
logic-400.jpg
Hmmm. I looked a bit and found some on eBay UK in the $450 pounds range which would be a bit more than I'd want to pay but I'd consider it, but they only ship in the UK. Searching "rh logic" on the regular ebay.com site doesn't bring up anything. What a crock.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
My fairly cheap desk chair at home is coming apart in the headreset area (I get faux leather flakes in my hair/neck lulz) so I'm in the market for a new one. I've always had fairly cheap chairs (~$100-~125 abouts) and this time I have the money and will to get something pretty nice. But looking at them, those Herman Miller Aeron chairs are way more than I'd pay although there's some Steelcase ones that are within my budget ($500 maximum).

I think I'm gonna go to Staples and see what they have there, that way and I sit in them first.

Hmmm. I looked a bit and found some on eBay UK in the $450 pounds range which would be a bit more than I'd want to pay but I'd consider it, but they only ship in the UK. Searching "rh logic" on the regular ebay.com site doesn't bring up anything. What a crock.

My fairly cheap office chair.
Gets the job done. Not sure how long it will hold up but as of now its pretty confortable.
$130 bucks
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I was obviously exagerating there but essentially, you want a chair with "support". That can be .. an office chair, assuming you are young, thin, and healthy; a workstation/medical chair if you arent, all the way to the 30kg metal behemoths for people who are overweight or have serious back problems.

im well overweight so if i sit, i need to sit on a properly supporting chair, and the rh chairs ive come to love from work just have incredible back support, its no effort at all to keep a proper posture without discomfort - and posture is the thing that helps, in health AND in gaming. Good aim follows good posture.

It doesnt need to be rh brand; just look for refurb "workstation" or "medical" or "support" (im sure other terms exist too) but be aware that "support" is very vague and could mean the chair doesnt actually support much.

Last edited:

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I'd want something non-height-adjustable. Gets old sinking and sitting close to the floor. Stupid china-made pneumatic piston.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
I was obviously exagerating there but essentially, you want a chair with "support". That can be .. an office chair, assuming you are young, thin, and healthy; a workstation/medical chair if you arent, all the way to the 30kg metal behemoths for people who are overweight or have serious back problems.

im well overweight so if i sit, i need to sit on a properly supporting chair, and the rh chairs ive come to love from work just have incredible back support, its no effort at all to keep a proper posture without discomfort - and posture is the thing that helps, in health AND in gaming. Good aim follows good posture.

It doesnt need to be rh brand; just look for refurb "workstation" or "medical" or "support" (im sure other terms exist too) but be aware that "support" is very vague and could mean the chair doesnt actually support much.

Need to get a decent chair too, most gaming chair seem to be made for manlets though so I may have a look at RH as well.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Does Steelcase not make any chairs with headrests? I could use a new chair for home, but I like to put my legs up and sit back while on the phone. And it doesn't look like they have any retail stores where I can try them out.

Nevermind, I see headrests are added options.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Quality chairs cost money. Every cheap chair I've had breaks or has the foam compress within a year or two. If you want one that will live up to using it 8hrs a day for years I think about $300 is the floor (barring special deals)

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Quality chairs cost money. Every cheap chair I've had breaks or has the foam compress within a year or two. If you want one that will live up to using it 8hrs a day for years I think about $300 is the floor (barring special deals)
Sucks. If the lower price end of the market weren't flooded with low-quality junk, the prices on quality gear would come down. Want customers to spend $380 on a chair that cost you $60 to make? Give them crap for $100-200.
Guess tariffs on China ARE the way to go.

If you can find an office replacing all its chairs ... you should get a deal on something quality. If you work there, you'll get them for free. I got a quality steel-frame chair when my employer discarded them en masse. BUT, it's not adjustable in any way other than seat height. Only rocks back a tad too. And the seat-back isn't full height.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Need to get a decent chair too, most gaming chair seem to be made for manlets though so I may have a look at RH as well.
Yeah I'm not very fond of the look of those gaming chairs. Not for me at this point (35 years old; FML) anyway.

I do want something that has:
- Good (ideally, adjustable) lumbar support
- A head rest
- Good back support; I want to continue trying to fix my shit posture
- Swing out/collapsable arms would be nice but at least they'd need to be adjustable up/down

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
"Lightning Deal has sold out" - who knows what it was priced at earlier
It was $203, but meh it was just a coincidence on the deal. $239 would still be a cheap price for a nice chair. Just wonder how it compares to those $600-1000 chairs for the avg person.

Plar

Aug 6, 2018
I'm using a game chair. I had it and I forgot about the pain in the back and any discomfort when working on a personal PC. This is my opinion but, of course, the choice is yours.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
for ~$200+, I'd look for a used Leap or something. Too bad all the ones in my area are usually $300 at least.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Those rollerblade wheels are only fit for hard floors, they don't change direction easily - too much friction on carpet. The weak metal base got bent out of shape for one reviewer, trying to maneuver on carpet. Hooray China steel (aluminum?).
I like the design overall, myself.

I have an E-WIN & really like it. Review here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/gaming-chair-review.2547487/

There are always sales & coupon codes floating around. I like it because:

1. It is more stiff than cushy, so your body gets support.
2. It is fairly ergonomic. It basically forces you to sit up straight.
3. It looks wicked good, lol.
Looks like a new model coming out in 6 weeks - Knight. Pre-order now for $209. Why is everything pre-order?
https://www.ewinracing.com/knight-s...ter-gaming-office-chair-with-pillows-kta.html
A lot fewer armrest adjustments, and nylon base rather than the aluminum base of your model.

[ WHAT is wrong with Firefox? Keeps disabling my forward button after I hit the back button. ]

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Those rollerblade wheels are only fit for hard floors, they don't change direction easily - too much friction on carpet. The weak metal base got bent out of shape for one reviewer, trying to maneuver on carpet. Hooray China steel (aluminum?).
I like the design overall, myself.

I have a rental office I work out of with thin carpeting & plastic mats around the desks. I sprung for some rollerblade wheels & it's like a night & day difference...much easier to roll around on, plus the chair doesn't get caught on the mat lip & try to fling me over & kill me anymore :D
Looks like a new model coming out in 6 weeks - Knight. Pre-order now for $209. Why is everything pre-order?
https://www.ewinracing.com/knight-s...ter-gaming-office-chair-with-pillows-kta.html
A lot fewer armrest adjustments, and nylon base rather than the aluminum base of your model.

Yeah, I think this is probably the first chair I've ever purchased that actually had really good armrest adjustments. Pretty much only used them as elbow rests in the past, I actually can use them as armrests ergonomically on my E-WIN chair. $260 was a lot, but at least it wasn't $1,000 to $2,000 like some of the higher-end ergo-chairs, so there's that lol.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I got a nice chair at Office Depot. It supports up to 500 lbs. I think it was normally $350-400, but I got one opened / pre-assembled for cheaper. Unfortunately, I discovered after I had it for a while, the rear headrest adjustment didn't work right, it kept sliding down. Other than that, it's been pretty decent. Supports my weight, at least.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I have a rental office I work out of with thin carpeting & plastic mats around the desks. I sprung for some rollerblade wheels & it's like a night & day difference...much easier to roll around on, plus the chair doesn't get caught on the mat lip & try to fling me over & kill me anymore :D
That's good news. My desk chair sits on a mat and I've pondered upgrading it with a set of rollerblade wheels, but was discouraged by various reviews. Tread material sounds too soft and friction-heavy. And chair bases typically can't handle the extra stress for too long.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
On a related note...
Herman Miller is going to start making gaming chairs.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
i finally caved in and just bought a lazyboy recliner to be my computer chair