EQ Next what would you like in it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
hard quest or hard dungeons is one thing. having to lose a weeks worth of experience due to some idiotic person or a troll is another.

I'm all for having a few really fucking elite level dungeons with gear that outlcasses everything else. My big complaint about WoW now is dungeon finder (wich i think is good) gear looks and is named the same as heroic. Fuck that.

while people should be able to clear the content don't give them teh same look and named gear.

I have no issues with "casual" gamers. they pay the money and should be able to see end game. I do think the gear shouldn't be amazing either. Sure RF gear sucks compared to Heroic. I do think heroic gear should look better where RF should look like heroic 5 man gear and hell NO titles.

LOL.

I remember early days in EQ when Gryphons would routinely show up in the noob area and kill off a bunch of low levels for no apparent reason. So it would go.

Bug. Dead
Bug. Dead
Bug, Dead
Gryphon. Player dead.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I have no issues with "casual" gamers. they pay the money and should be able to see end game.

We will need to agree to disagree. Just because everybody is paying the montly fee doesn't mean everybody should be able to experience the same content. If that is the case the game is dumbed down which gives no rewards for those willing to put in the time commitment or those willing to learn the mechanics (and teach a core group of in game friends) vs those who don't give a shit.

Everquest never gave any single person an advantage. Everybody had the same challenges. It was a time based and skill based game. You could tell who put in the time commitment and had the skills of learning zones, mobs, spawns, drops, and they were rewarded, and they should be.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
We will need to agree to disagree. Just because everybody is paying the montly fee doesn't mean everybody should be able to experience the same content. If that is the case the game is dumbed down which gives no rewards for those willing to put in the time commitment or those willing to learn the mechanics (and teach a core group of in game friends) vs those who don't give a shit.

Everquest never gave any single person an advantage. Everybody had the same challenges. It was a time based and skill based game. You could tell who put in the time commitment and had the skills of learning zones, mobs, spawns, drops, and they were rewarded, and they should be.

Take it from the other direction. without those casual gamers, you wouldn't be able to experience the entire content. These games are made with profit in mind and the only way that happens is if casual gamers play. There simply aren't enough hard core gamers "That can put the time in" to make these games viable. Pure and simple. You OWE those same casual gamers your gaming experience. Pure and simple.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
LOL.

I remember early days in EQ when Gryphons would routinely show up in the noob area and kill off a bunch of low levels for no apparent reason. So it would go.

Bug. Dead
Bug. Dead
Bug, Dead
Gryphon. Player dead.

lol

worst thing was seeing "TRAIN TO ...TRIAN TO ...MOVE IT!" or having someone come up next to you and sit and you get slaughtered.

then there was kill steals..

EQ did a lot right and without it we wouldn't have WoW but they also did a lot wrong.

one great thing. I was in East karana (i think) killing bird people. When all the sudden you hear /yell ...whatever it was and then these things came out and started killing people. you had to group up and kill them.

it was great!

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I think you are significantly over estimating (a) how much content is put in at launch and (b) how much additional content I am talking about and (c) how much 'Main stream' content would need to be removed to accommodate it. This is the kind of typical sloppy thinking that developers fall back on to justify making sub-par games.

It takes a lot of time just to finish a basic game that comes out sub par, let alone a good one. You may not believe it, but unless you mean just a quest or 2 for each class (which would be way too little to really have the "uniqueness" of each class) then yes, it wouldn't take much away, but once you start adding more and more, the development time and such becomes more, and thus to get the game out in time they have to cut.

I stopped playing MMOs a long time ago precisely because of this. The fact that sloppy and sub-par games were being banged out in the name of profits. I in no way believe that the limitations of hardware or programing resources limit the ability for creation of a great game (And if you do, I feel sorry for you). It is Corporate types trying to 'Simplify' things down into the most basic formula possible so as to make the most money with no thought towards originality or innovation. And attitudes like yours propagate that thinking.
First I will say, I don't find these games subpar. The fact that I can put in many hours and not say I have done "a lot in the game" having fun the whole time, that is not sub par. D3 was sub par (I still found it fun for a while) but it could have had much more. WoW, Rift, GW2 all to me were on Par if not better than par comparing to its predecessors. EQ, and the other Gen I MMORPGS set that par.

As it stands now, I admit that 'Best' is DPS. However, if you take DPS out of the equation and add in actual variety, 'Best' becomes highly subjective. Then you wouldn't have the kinds of fluctuation you describe. or if you did it would be people actually trying out the custom content. not people gravitating towards the highest DPS.

this really comes down to how it is done. Well thought out and interesting side quests and alternate ways of accomplishing things would draw players and interest. Take a look at Baldur's gate and all of the different ways to complete the game. People try 'Fastest route', 'Least damage' route, 'highest experience' route, 'Evil party' route, 'Good party' route, combinations of companions, etc.. and the list goes on. I have every suspicion that the same could be said about MMOs if there was variability of content and not just DPS.

Alternate means of completeing a task is always fun, however it is hard, if not tedious to implement that into an MMO. Baldur's gate was a great game. But if they tried converting that to an MMO, I bet it would fall hard. And again, it isn't because the design is bad, never said that and that is not my opinion. What I have been saying, which your other posts to other people actually backs me up, is the Playerbase the companies target. The playerbase of casuals basically shape the MMOs today. That is the reason WoW went from hard to easy and just takes time now. That is the reason GW2 (albeit a great game) is very casual friendly. And the playerbase also LOVES to gravitate to the "Best" class. Either for PvP, PvE, DPS, whatever. They always do. Best examples are when top tiered raiding guilds don't even bring a shaman to their world first kills in most of Cata because they were just not worth it, even though they had unique mana returning to raid buffs as restoration shaman.

MMOs are basically created for and run by casual gamers. This is why having such "uniqueness" will never happen or happen successfully, because you have to balance the game around those not willing to put forth the effort to understand that being the 'best' is only one option in a game. (Warriors are the #1 rolled char on GW2, by approx 20% difference from 2nd most rolled - because they have no struggling when killing monsters higher level. Mesmers and elementalists get in trouble if more than 1 mob gets on them)

MMOs are successful today due to DPS because it is the only game in town, NOT because it is the best formula. And what you call "unique roles in combat" are hardly that. There may be slight variations, but nothing more. And you disregard the unique and enjoyable playable content that could be had allowing players to really have a unique experience with their chosen profession. I am not saying gimp X or Y character class. I am saying give them more than simply a paint job to differentiate them from everyone else. And absolutely allow Wizards to do massive damage, from range. Fighters, massive damage close up. Rogues massive damage from surprise, etc.... Just give them more than simply DPS to compare their uniqueness.

Considering that WoW has this... (sub rogues used to do more damage going into and outta stealth and were great when adds came to vanish and stunlock). mages do amazing damage, however almost die in melee range from 1 attack. Warriors and ret paladins do massive melee damage yet cannot do damage in range. Most of the classes abilities are different enough that it isn't a "paint job difference". If you think I am wrong go roll a warrior and please dps well enough from range because he is only painted differently from a mage right?

Class uniqueness doesn't fit into you vision of an MMO. Nor apparently in the vision of the developers. That in no way means that it wouldn't add something to the genre. Who would have thought that the original Diablo would have done so well. it was taking elements from various previous games and putting them together in a slightly different manner. Yet 12-15 years later it is one of the highest praised games out there. Same with Baldur's gate. Just because 'its always been that way' doesn't mean that a genre can't stand a kick in the pants every once in a while. And the more people hide behind paradigms, the greater the chance that someone else will come along and steal their market share because they were willing to take a risk on something new.

The thread is 'EQ Next, what would you like in it'. I would like to see class specific content and a departure from samey DPS dependence. You may not think it would add anything. that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I think it would make the game 10x better than it would be without it.

And also, MMOs do work 'BEST' in large raid parties. That doesn't mean that it is and has to be a one trick pony. There are plenty of MMO players that solo. There are even more that do specialized groups towards one class or another. Put back the RPG in MMORPG is all I am saying. (BTW, MMO is a bastardization of MMORPG in case you weren't aware of that).

A) This isn't my vision of an MMO. This is the general trend in which businesses invision MMOs. I have a much different idea for MMOs than you have or they have, but I completely understand only a few people would find my idea fun, and therefore a horrible idea to actually create it as a business and thus a bad idea.

B) You think, as in your opinion not majorities, it would make the game 10x. No doubt I would find the game very fun. I did do paper DnD. I understand where you are coming from. However, if even the MMO DnD isn't tailored that way, then we must understand the majority of video game player do not enjoy that and thus would not work.

C) And yes I understand that MMO is a generalization for MMORPG. But one day I bet an MMORacer or MMOWhatever game will be made, making teh statement using MMO as just MMORPG invalid. Also These games already have RPG. RPG as we know is 'Role-playing game' Thus, story and character improvement. Every MMO good and bad has this, as NPCs are interactable and we can feel "enveloped" into the world if we wish this way. So they are all RPG. RPG does not mean uniqueness, it does not mean puzzles, it does not even mean fighting.

P.S. I am mad at Bethesda going to Elder Scrolls MMO route and the developers of Torchlight thinking on a Torchlight MMO.

Why can we not keep good single players games single player. Just create a new game series for MMOs. Thus I am exploring a new world and not a world I already kinda know just seeing other sides of it.

Last edited:

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
I think that these two lines speak volumes to why your attitude will not play a part in EQ Next:

Profits are not made on or from the hard core among us. They are made almost exclusively from the casual market. And the developers design around the casual gamer. And market to them. Understand that for every hard core gamer out there, there are hundreds or thousands of casual gamers to market. We don't even make a dent in their bottom line. Which more or less explains why we always sit around and grouse about how things 'Should have been'. It isn't ever going to be because we are no longer the demographic.

Who do you think you are preaching to, your walls of text are to prove points that are common knowledge are very humorous.

Oh course we all know this.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Who do you think you are preaching to, your walls of text are to prove points that are common knowledge are very humorous.

Oh course we all know this.

I'm quite flattered to be considered famous. thanks for that. And thanks for the vote of approval that my points are well known and considered accurate.

@diesbudt.

Not going to go point for point anymore on this. You disagree with my view point. That's valid and I welcome to your perspective.

I believe that EQ (after playing for more than a year) was sub-par. As were every other MMORPG that I played over the last several years. I felt that the entire game was reduced to DPS and was made drawn out. This, I believe, is a disservice to the gaming community at large. It ripped out all of the RPG elements entirely and made things Samey. And it forced gamers (casual or otherwise) into believing that DPS was the end all and be all of an MMO. It isn't. I feel that a LOT more could be done with EQ Next to alleviate that. That is the sum total of my point. Feel free to disagree if you want. That's your right.

Last edited:

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
lol

worst thing was seeing "TRAIN TO ...TRIAN TO ...MOVE IT!" or having someone come up next to you and sit and you get slaughtered.

EQ did a lot right and without it we wouldn't have WoW but they also did a lot wrong.

one great thing. I was in East karana (i think) killing bird people. When all the sudden you hear /yell ...whatever it was and then these things came out and started killing people. you had to group up and kill them.

it was great!

Trains are a necessary byproduct of a proper risk design. Last thing you want is mobs to stop chasing after 10 feet.

Though,having zonelines that entice you to afk a minute then you die, not so good.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
lol

it was great!

I used to love the Halloween event, with the giant skele-horse in Rathbone owning people right and left, and all the other special mobs that would come out that night.

I agree with the poster who said trains were a byproduct of a workable risk design. Modern MMOs have decided that to cater to a mass-market the player's character should always move forward, always win, never backslide and never lose. It's a lamentable design trend that has made these games a flavorless waste of time and money.

Goothry

Oct 25, 2011
1. Personally, I would love to see 2 to 3 group mini raids, and have the gear be near the quality of say tier 2 of full 56 man raids. It would give EQ that much needed bridge between group gear content and full raid content.

2. A retention of defined group roles. I hate how in new mmos every class does every job, which bores me to no end. When grouping I like to know that I'm contributing to the group. If I'm a chanter I want to CC, if I'm a cleric I want to heal, and so on. It adds a bit of skill to the game, and makes you form bonds with people. Otherwise, people are just ho-hum generic class X or generic tank Y. EQ (1 at least, I can't speak for 2) is all about knowing your class, and how to best utilize it's abilities.

3. Incentives to return to previous zones (if "zones" would even still exsist), but not in the same manner as GW2. I don't like the idea of being a top level and having my "level" drop when I enter old content. There has to be some other way to get higher level players back into lower content, or old content, but still be a benefit to them. I don't like the idea of reach the top level of a game to go back to the newb zone and get easily slain by bats and rats. To a degree high levels going back to old content is what makes new players want to keep playing.

4. Unique Named Mob encounters. I feel this would help preserve the perceived difficulty that EQ had. EQ wasn't about jumping into battle uninformed, it was a thinking man's MMO. Group dynamics led to mobs needed pulled, adds CC'd/off tanked/kited, and a rush of excitement for bringing down tough mobs or "breaking camps." Anyone that has progressed though the EQ Underfoot expansion knows what I mean. Content that separates the men from the boys.

5. Along the same train of thought as 4, unique mob attribues. For example, see invis. I don't like this run around willy nilly crap new mmos have going on. When I'm out adventuring it shouldn't be too easy to run anywhere I want. I should feel that my character is in danger when I leave the safety.

6. Death penalty with the addition of corpse runs. Sorry, I'm tired of all this care-bear hand holding crap in modern games. I should have a large investment in whether or not my character dies. The prospect of death around every corner makes a game exciting. If my character dies and I lose nothing the game becomes incredibly stale. I'm not saying I should lose a weeks worth of exp, but it has to be something more than a repair cost (and actually I would prefer that "repair cost" stay out).

7. A hand full of solo abilities for each class. Nothing OP, but something to get you by if thats your style.

8. Scaled LDON type group / raid instances. They were like little puzzles to be solved, very fun. Maybe I like that lvl 10 instance and would like to replay it at level 80? That would be fun! :)

That's all I have off othe top of my head :)

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Raiding as well designed as the raids in WoW. The only thing WoW has left going for it are the raids. If another game can lock that down, it would be nice. You'd have a game to play with excellent raiding that wouldn't wind up attracting the WoW player base, which for the most part, are only into raid finder raids if anything.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Well for starters I would like crowd control (CC) to be effective again. CC gives an extra dimension to combat, to the otherwise just hack and slash everything to death. Roots, snares, stuns, mezzes, fears rarely come into play in current MMOs.

I would like slower regen rates, and regen buffing to have a purpose outside of raid fights. I would also like regen to work at the same rate in and out of combat. None of this eat food/drink and your gtg in 10-15 sec crap. Bandage to half your health, sure, thats ok, but it should take some meaningful amount of time to get to full health. Regen should also work while standing/moving.

Powerful buffs should NOT be group only, and in certain cases should require a component. I liked the component aspect. Not only as a game money sink (all games need these), but it also promotes learning about other classes abilities and coming prepared. In EQ I would always carry around components for other classes buffs so I could get them after a simple trade. This also promotes a small social aspect.

I would like fights to last a little bit longer. I would also like all classes to have meaningful regular attacks. Wizards with wands, rangers with bows, clerics actually hitting shit with thier maces, etc. I would like to step away from the constant spamming of abilities. Your abilities/spells should cost meaningful amounts of resources (mana/stamina in most cases). With said resources being your limiting factor, not artificial cool downs. This rewards groups that manage thier resources efficiently. It also allows groups that play conservatively to be prepared for that "oh shit" event. For example a mage being able to burn through his entire mana supply in a short amount of time to do massive amounts of damage to finish off an unforseen extra foe in time before his fighter dies at the cost of him being not as effective the next few battles due to him regaining his mana reserves.

I would like 6 or even 7/8 man groups. This allows for more class/group combinations. It also allows for more people to be supported by one main healer. Classes should be unique and in the case of specialized classes, be the best at fulfilling a group role, while being ok/bad at other roles. While hybrids should be ok/good for a few roles, but not as good as a specialized class in any particular field.

I would also like meaningful death penalties. I should be AFRAID to go wandering/travelling to new places. There is no sense of adventure without the fear of ever present danger. I'm not against xp loss or corpse recovery. With player resurections being able to negate most xp loss, and players/npcs having the ability to summon corpses at a great expense (much greater than a paltry repair bill).

I would prefer a much slower leveling grind. Levels and lower level content are all mostly meaningless today. Its all just plowed through in a matter of days to get to the "end content", and no meaningful social interaction takes place along the way. Also due to the fast paces leveling most people get to the end game and still have no clue how to play thier characters.

I have more, but this is too long that most of you won't read it anyway.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
Heh, I played eq at launch, but only for a month. I had all sorts of technical problems with the game, so ended up quitting. Then, came back just as kunark was released, and ended up playing for like 7 years.

That game is singlehandedly responsible for me not being able to play any mmo's for longer than 2 hours at a time, and for having no interest in end game content anymore.

My group of friends and I would play for an average of 8 hours during the week. And usually 16+ hours every weekend day. I just can't do that sort of thing anymore.

But, for whatever reason, that game was quite magical. I can't even explain it. If I try, then mostly I start listing off things that sound quite terrible, heh.

I think part of the original charm of the game, was it's unique-ness. It wasn't the first mmo, but it was the only thing like it around at the time. A simple updated verison of the original game would have a hard time getting any kind of foothold in the market today, since there are so many choices. People simply wouldnt have to play a game quite that hard...and so they wouldn't, they'd just play something easier. Well, everyone except die hards (which I might be tempted to become one again, if it did come, heh).

As to what I'd like (no matter how silly, or unrealistic), hrmm...

I played a shaman, and I loved my class. I'd want to play something that resembled that class again if possible. Well, I wouldnt mind of alchemy wasn't such an absurd money sink.

I didnt really mind that much about the xp loss upon death. Having my level taken away from me right after leveling up, with that unavoidable death that inevitably happened right after could make a grown man cry some bitter tears though.

Having events in zones, or just randomly spawning high level mobs spawn (like the previously mentioned gryphons in the commonlands) kept you on your toes, and I'd definately want that to return.

Wel, I guess more than anything, I want a game to make me work for what I get. It doesn't have to be so difficult I'm crying tears of blood, mind you. Just...when i get something I've been working towards, I want it to feel like an accomplishment, not just handed to me.

On a semi-related note, a friend of mine and I were thinking back on the original a couple weeks ago, and it got me thinking about the original group I used to run around with. There was noone playing the game that would have mistaken us for being uber, but we did manage to accomplish quite a bit with just a group of six.

And the funniest part was that we were all idiots, in our own unique ways. For example, I can't count how many times the cleric would suddenly be on auto follow and afk, without bothering to tell anyone. The shadowknight would be face down on his keyboard by 9:00 every night, passed out drunk. The warrior couldnt manage to pay attention to chat, and fighting at the same time, no matter how many times you typed something at him over and over again (at least voice chat started coming of age, and helped with that a little bit). Me and the chanter were doing stuff that would normally lead to a quick and painful death. Heck, we normally only had 1 dps class, a rogue.

But, somehow, we'd make it work anyway. Every time we managed to do something, it just felt like a huge accomplishment.

Goothry

Oct 25, 2011
I would like slower regen rates, and regen buffing to have a purpose outside of raid fights. I would also like regen to work at the same rate in and out of combat. None of this eat food/drink and your gtg in 10-15 sec crap. Bandage to half your health, sure, thats ok, but it should take some meaningful amount of time to get to full health. Regen should also work while standing/moving.

Well, the devs removed steady regen rates because it was used as an exploit during raids. Although, I would suppose since we're talking about an entirely new game it could be supposed that it would have an updated regen mechanic so that it wouldn't matter at all. If they include regen at all. I mean, how much is a 30 hp regen per tic buff reall worth when a player has 80k + hp?

Although, bringing up regen/food sheds light on another topic to consider for the next EQ, how core stats should handled, as most everyone in EQ1 uses food that gives stats (although its pretty much useless less it has heroic stats). In EQ 1 with full gear on a player a player's stats are maxed to the cap, and at which point the only meaningful core stats on gear are the heroic stats. I sort of like the system as it is now however it doesn't provoke much discussion per stats. There aren't any decisions to be made, in general, about the gear one uses beyond weapon types/ratios and augments to put in different gear slots, which usually amounts to tanks choosing AC/hp augs and casters +mp augs.

I'm not sure how stats are handled in eq2, i only played it for about a month then quite. So i can't speak regarding eq2 and stats.

What do you think about how the core stat system should be handled?

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
Basically, a remake of EQ. I played EQOA (on Castle Lightwolf as a Dark Elf Shadowknight named Strydaer if anyone remembers me) and it was freaking great.

DigitalWolf

Feb 3, 2001
Late to the party on this thread no doubt.

I most likely want what most want but since this is about what I want I'll list some things anyway.

I'd like to see the move away from following the flashing quest line and back to camps. I really want a game I just play and advance by playing. As opposed to talking to an npc -> uphill -> back to npc -> back up the hill...

Social grouping with downtime *gasp* Even if people don't want to chat its like a built in bathroom break.

Regardless of what some people remember I could solo in EQ just fine, it was just more efficient to group. <- That is what I'd like to see a return to.

Where a group is required I'd like to see a game where knowing how to play is greater than all else. Most MMO's now just seem to be a "lemming game" and when you get into a situation the group didn't watch on youtube... they don't know what to do. In EQ you had to learn to play your character or you were on that server wide "do not group list".

It would be nice if it wasn't so easy to churn out an alt of every class. Why? Oh so that if you were a total jerk it mattered when you could no longer get groups... You know if you played a cleric in the early days of EQ1, those people you wouldn't give a ress to... or group with.

I'd love to see a real crafting system worked into the world. Think SWG type of player interaction with resources and crafted items... buying/selling .. battering.

Most of all I suppose I wish I'd see some of the people I played EQ1 with in EQ Next... that sadly just won't ever happen.

EQ was not the MMO I played the longest... but I played it far longer than anything that came out after 2003....

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I'd like the game to be full PvP outside of cities, collision detection on, a loot system like Asheron's call (a certain number of your items would be lootable), specialized roles for professions and leveling at a smooth speed would require grouping up, make solo leveling extremely inefficient. Also xp loss and item decay on death as well as required corpse recovery. I would also like to see a more dynamic combat system like in Guild Wars 2/Tera including casting while moving, also lots of different classes (like in DAoC) and make crafting worthwhile.

/haters gonna hate

Last edited:

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
I never understood why a game needs customer support is it about billing?

I had a problem in game where my top tier leg armor got deleted when my wizard ported out of a LODN run. I burned weeks of farming points for it in LODN. So I contact a in game GM and first thing he tells me is he has to send it to the real GM. WTF why you even a gm if you can't do anything. Well the real GM was a real prick and kept deleting my report. I would talk to the low level gms and they said they could not see the report that was sent to the main GM. It took like 2 months of everyday reporting until the GM finally gave me my leg item back.

I also had a problem where I could not log into my Necro lizard it would crash when trying to log on. I logged in as my main wizard and did a reported. It took over a week to get this fixed. They had to do a roll back on my account and I lost a week worth of exp.

The lack of disregard for not wanting to help me when I lost my item left a bad taste in my mouth. It was well know how bad SOE was with customer service. To get them to fix anything you had to bitch non stop for them to do anything.

Also Auto reply E-mails have to go the ones saying that it will take 5 to 7 day to fix something then nothing happens after the 7 day.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Please be more like EQ 1 then 2.

Return to a more "Hard" MMO, don't just give loot out for being max level.

I know this discourages sales, and profits but one can dream.

I miss be top of the food chain in EQ 1 and cockblocking the server for 5 years and leaving others our scraps :).

Long gone are the days of people apping to a top end raid guild and them getting told don't expect loot for 6 months and people lining up to get in.

Awakeing the sleeper because another guild had a chance at getting a sceptar of destruction.

Standing in the EC tunnel with your lvl 5 trade mule twinked out with gear max level toons never had a hope of getting.

Screenshots of mage pets equiping weapons that no one else on the server could get but we had to many.

Those were the times :). To hell with the casuals!

Good thing a game released today that was like this would die a in a sad death spiral.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I had a problem in game where my top tier leg armor got deleted when my wizard ported out of a LODN run. I burned weeks of farming points for it in LODN. So I contact a in game GM and first thing he tells me is he has to send it to the real GM. WTF why you even a gm if you can't do anything. Well the real GM was a real prick and kept deleting my report. I would talk to the low level gms and they said they could not see the report that was sent to the main GM. It took like 2 months of everyday reporting until the GM finally gave me my leg item back.

I also had a problem where I could not log into my Necro lizard it would crash when trying to log on. I logged in as my main wizard and did a reported. It took over a week to get this fixed. They had to do a roll back on my account and I lost a week worth of exp.

The lack of disregard for not wanting to help me when I lost my item left a bad taste in my mouth. It was well know how bad SOE was with customer service. To get them to fix anything you had to bitch non stop for them to do anything.

Also Auto reply E-mails have to go the ones saying that it will take 5 to 7 day to fix something then nothing happens after the 7 day.

SOE costumer service and brad maquine (i think that was his name) are pretty much what drove me from EQ2. both sucked and the hate they had for the player was shown every chance and in every way they could

Peppered

Jul 3, 2009
Well for starters I would like crowd control (CC) to be effective again. CC gives an extra dimension to combat, to the otherwise just hack and slash everything to death. Roots, snares, stuns, mezzes, fears rarely come into play in current MMOs.

Powerful buffs should NOT be group only, and in certain cases should require a component. I liked the component aspect. Not only as a game money sink (all games need these), but it also promotes learning about other classes abilities and coming prepared. In EQ I would always carry around components for other classes buffs so I could get them after a simple trade. This also promotes a small social aspect.

I would like fights to last a little bit longer. I would also like all classes to have meaningful regular attacks. Wizards with wands, rangers with bows, clerics actually hitting shit with thier maces, etc. I would like to step away from the constant spamming of abilities. Your abilities/spells should cost meaningful amounts of resources (mana/stamina in most cases). With said resources being your limiting factor, not artificial cool downs. This rewards groups that manage thier resources efficiently. It also allows groups that play conservatively to be prepared for that "oh shit" event. For example a mage being able to burn through his entire mana supply in a short amount of time to do massive amounts of damage to finish off an unforseen extra foe in time before his fighter dies at the cost of him being not as effective the next few battles due to him regaining his mana reserves.

I would like 6 or even 7/8 man groups. This allows for more class/group combinations. It also allows for more people to be supported by one main healer. Classes should be unique and in the case of specialized classes, be the best at fulfilling a group role, while being ok/bad at other roles. While hybrids should be ok/good for a few roles, but not as good as a specialized class in any particular field.

I would also like meaningful death penalties. I should be AFRAID to go wandering/travelling to new places. There is no sense of adventure without the fear of ever present danger. I'm not against xp loss or corpse recovery. With player resurections being able to negate most xp loss, and players/npcs having the ability to summon corpses at a great expense (much greater than a paltry repair bill).

I would prefer a much slower leveling grind. Levels and lower level content are all mostly meaningless today. Its all just plowed through in a matter of days to get to the "end content", and no meaningful social interaction takes place along the way. Also due to the fast paces leveling most people get to the end game and still have no clue how to play thier characters.

I have more, but this is too long that most of you won't read it anyway.

I spent a lot of time playing a Enchanter, tried every thing else but liked to group more than anything else (left me broke grouping all the time ) but the cc and buff the chanter had were fun and a pain.

Haste lord it faded to quick at early lv's. the best part about being a enchanter was mes. I was always on the edge timing my mes and hoping I had the mana to keep mes / haste / slows and the mana buff up.

I realized that if I didn't keep the mes up I would die. If I couldn't keep the haste and slow up the healer would run low on mana, next the tank would go down and soon the rest to follow unless I could get control of the mobs again.

After I got to lv 60 with rune I could take more hits but became nothing more than a buff bot.

I understand the need to remove the we need this class and that class to do this but darn why wait till someone spent so much time in one class to change it so much lol.

My work and family keep me from getting to involved in a game like this anymore but I miss it. It was a lot of fun longing in and finding the ones you always group with that you never seen in real life had become kinda of a friend a they trusted you because we all worked so good together in a group.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I just realized another thing I want from EQ Next. I want Smedley to make sure the dev team communicates with the fan base like SOE has done with Planetside 2.