Epox 8RDA+ Problems... Any ideas?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cybordolphin

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 1999
Ok... I disconnected the CPU heatsink fan and tied direct to the PS.
Set the fan speed at the non-adjustable rpm.

It did not help.

Don't know what else to try... except a USB keyboard adaptor. I have already tried a serial/Ps2 adaptor to no avail..

It really appears to be something wrong with the motherboard (IDE channels).

I am afraid this one will have to be RMA'd. I have tried everything I can think of.....

There are quite a few other incidences where the keyboards just suddenly stopped working on these motherboards. I would have assumed it to be a Ps2 connector/port, eccept that the keyboard DOES work fine if there is nothing attached to either of the IDE channels. Definitely a first for me.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
There are quite a few other incidences where the keyboards just suddenly stopped working on these motherboards.

Yeah...I just saw reports of thousands of occurances of this on CNN. They even broke into their Iraq coverage to report it!

rolleye.gif

Cybordolphin

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 1999
Insane.... at this point I am going to ask you politely to shut up.

There are lots of documented problems with regard to keyboards not working on this motherboard.
There are also other problems cropping up.

I know you would like to think the problem is me..... but it isn't. Get over it. The motherboard has a problem, and as I said the (3) that I have purchased so far I have been unimpressed, and they have all three had quirks. Yes one is running nicely..... but I am still not happy with the builds using these boards.

Why don't you go buy a few more and do your own experimenting/homework.

Unless you have a solution, or can point to the problem (I could not find one/it), then the board is going to have to go back.

And yes.... I will get another, and likely have pretty good luck with it. But I am also going out tomorrow to pick up another brand Nforce2.

Night...

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Insane.... at this point I am going to ask you politely to shut up.

Sir..yes sir!

There are lots of documented problems with regard to keyboards not working on this motherboard.
There are also other problems cropping up.

So you keep saying. You ever hear the saying about if you look for something hard enough, you will find it?

I know you would like to think the problem is me..... but it isn't. Get over it.

Nope, I don't think the whole problem is you, it sounds like you may have purchased a bad board...it happens to all manufacturers. However, rather than ask for help, you just post about Epox being crap, it's a junky mobo...etc.

The motherboard has a problem, and as I said the (3) that I have purchased so far I have been unimpressed, and they have all three had quirks. Yes one is running nicely..... but I am still not happy with the builds using these boards.

Sounds like you have no one to blame but yourself. Why did you keep buying the board if every one you setup was problematic and "quirky"?

Why don't you go buy a few more and do your own experimenting/homework.

To date, I have setup eight systems around the Athlon XP and the 8RDA+ for customers and friends. I had no such issues you mentioned on any of them. However, I'm sure the problem will rear it's head on all of them since you say it has problems. I better check my voice mail...
rolleye.gif

Unless you have a solution, or can point to the problem (I could not find one/it), then the board is going to have to go back.

I tried giving you some ideas, as did others in this forum, but your attitude regarding this board seems to be set in stone regardless of if it works for you or not. I realized after a little while, that trying to help you was futile.

And yes.... I will get another, and likely have pretty good luck with it. But I am also going out tomorrow to pick up another brand Nforce2.

Congratulations...I hope your new board lives up to your expectations and more. All of us others with this "junky" mobo are just going to have to find a way to make it through...

Goodnight to you as well. I hope tomorrow brings you nothing but much success with your new motherboard so you can quickly forget the horrible Epox ordeal you had to endure. Have a nice day. :)

:)

Cybordolphin

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 1999
Note that this problem is not just one that I am experiencing. Just today another post was made with regard to this same problem right here on Anandtech.

Hopefully someone will find out that it is not the motherboards fault. And that all Epoxian's will live long and prosper... ;)

I did not explain myself very well.

Not all three had problems that were unsolvable. One actually runs well. I just don't need the hassle when I am building a system. I expect my builds to go pretty much like clock work. I don't expect to spend a lot of time trying to pamper my motherboards. I so far am not impressed with my Epox boards.

After this next board from them, yes I will be hesitant in the future using their boards. I also understand the Nforce2 chipset is new...... and perhaps this new board is just going to turn out to have problems. Not neccessarily does this mean that all Epox products are bad ones.

I don't build these all for myself. I don't mind trying 2-3 or more of a board to see how well it builds and runs.

I would really be hesitant to suggest this motherboard to anyone based on what I have received from Epox.

I build all of my systems the same way, very consistantly, and I do that specifically to avoid time consuming glitches. The Epox has simply required too much effort from me.

Like I say.... I don't mean to say that all Epox products have been or will be bad. I am sure I will try future boards from them... just to prove this to myself.

I must say I am anxious to receive a replacment from Epox to see if it goes in smoothely without quirks.

However, I am today going to give ASUS a whirl. Although there have been not perfect feedback left on these..... I really feel just about anything has to be better than my experience with these Epox boards.

I know that a lot of builders out there are still waiting for the stock of the Epox boards to come in. Perhaps I received some of the very newest Epox Nforce2 boards. Perhaps the lack of these boards, is the reason the Epox problems have not surfaced yet convincing builders not not to buy them. Don't know.

I also know builders that get so attached to a new idea/product/chipset.... that they allow themselves to overlook inconveniences/flaws. They "let things slide" so to speak, and rant about how perfect a product is. All the time harboring the hassles they experienced. Usually in time those hassles do make their way into the forums.

Lets hope this replacement board is just as fabulous as many have said. I am waiting (something I don't really enjoy).

If you would like links to those having the same or similar issues with this motherboard, by all means ask.
However you might want to do some searching, it might be good for you.

SpideyCU

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Keep us posted. It would be aggravating but valuable to know if the board gets flustered by low-rpm fans or something.
mech, not directly related to what's being discussed, but, I can tell you for a fact that these RPM changes do indeed cause issues - but only two such that I've seen thus far. One, viewing the PC Health Status screen for more than 8 seconds or so (at least that was the time frame for me) will cause a lock-up. Also, fairly infrequently, when trying to go into the BIOS setup when it's POSTing (the usual method of hitting Del), sometimes it won't take you into the setup screen, but rather a black screen with a blue bar on the bottom. I used to have both of these issues until I was made aware of the fan connection - I removed the variable-speed intake fan's connection from my board and used an adapter to attach it to the standard 4-pin power supply connectors. Now I can let it sit at the PC Health Screen without issues (just to make sure, I left it there for half an hour ;) ). I'll reconnect it to the board directly if a future BIOS update addresses the issue.

On a slightly different tangent, IMO, this is the risk (small as it is) you take in buying cutting-edge. The board hit the streets in volume not more than a month ago - it IS going to take *many* people doing *many* different things to this board to find issues that R&D can't find alone. The sign of a good company is one that acknowledges issues when they come up and tries to resolve them, or offer work-arounds until a solution is available. In my eyes, EPoX has been fantastic in this regard. They've been good on BIOS updates to fix bugs as they show up, and they clearly cover issues in their FAQs and forum posts elsewhere (the "mysterious" GF4 problem, as well as the afore-mentioned fan issue, come to mind). Overall they've done a good job in the design to begin with because the number of people having *legitimate* problems with the board is quite small, and, like I said, issues that do come up, EPoX isn't ignoring them or pretending they don't exist.

With all the back and forth going on, I just felt like offering (venting? heh) my opinion. Take it for what you will.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Not to rile you up more, Cybordolphin, but I suggest you don't hot-plug any more IDE cables into running motherboards no matter how desparate you are. Not nice to the drives, even if you don't care about the board any more.

I guess I should mention that I have a fleet of well-behaved nForce systems at work. Not nF2 (don't I wish! ;)) but the precedessor, in the nForce220D variant. Maybe I am guilty of "wanting it to work" in your case, as you say.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Viper96720
Stick to intel brand motherboards they usually go together with little issues. :)

Intel is really dragging their feet about making a SocketA motherboard, though... :(

;)

:D

Cybordolphin

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 1999
Intel.... yea.... too bad they don't overclock ;)
Gotta love the stability/reliability of them though.

Mech... as I said in my prior post.... I don't normally connect ANYTHING with the power on, system running, certainly not an IDE cable. It was just what someone else found worked for them, and I used that method to test. I learned many years ago, fortunately I only lost a floppy drive. That was enough for me. Nor do I recommend anyone ever do what I mentioned. Not only do the drives not like it.... it is very easy to short pins if you are not careful.