Enigma@Home News

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Thanks for the encouragement and note, Caferace! :)

I've steadily increased my production(and passed 100k :D ), and yet I've still slipped to 5th in terms of RAC, which is actually very cool to see. :p

BTW, an early "Congrats!" to Alyx, who should be passing the 200k mark a little later today!

PeterN

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
Well done. I love this project. If I weren't heavily involved in SoB I would have helped ending this one a bit sooner, just to see what the results would be. :p

Great going for TA and another #1 spot in sight. :D

Alyx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: networkman
BTW, an early "Congrats!" to Alyx, who should be passing the 200k mark a little later today!

Thanks! And grats to you for hitting 100k! :)

And hopefully we can hit first next week too, maybe next week. The team's been doing really great!

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
It's getting a bit harder to track down the #1 spot, although it *will* eventually happen. :)

Both Team Poland (3rd) and L'Alliance Francophone (1st) have responded to out push. They have an LOT more members than we do on Enigma@Home... Shh. Don't wake the sleeping beasts. ;)

Alyx took a break, but came back strong today. SofaKing may have gone on vacation. A bummer, since he helped boost this TeAms output significantly a few weeks ago.

Nevertheless, we're shambling along... First spot is in sight, and closing.

http://stats.free-dc.org/new/allteams.php?proj=eni

-jim

RobertE

May 14, 2005
Also, please make note of a planned outage comming up soon. So, if you are only running Engima, best to have a secondary project on standby.

At the beginning of February I'm moving to a place where my access to the internet (and probably amount of free time) will be very limited (yes, there are such places in Poland ). I guess that (at least for first few weeks) my cellphone + gprs will be the best connection I'll be able to get there.
That means I'll have to suspend the project for some time, because I can't just leave the servers up and hope that nothing will crash/fail while I'll be hundreds of kilometers away without any way to fix problems.
Around 26th January I'll stop the workunit generator, then I'll wait for results to return. The server software will be moved to a temporary location (same hosting where project's http reverse-proxy and download mirror is running atm), where I'll be able to keep it online without worrying about hardware failures or longer power outages; however it will remain suspended for at least few weeks, until I'll get any decent internet connection.
I don't know (yet) when I'll be back, I'll post an update on this around mid Feb.

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Thanks for the info, RobertE. I suggested to TJM that he/she might want to post that info on the front page, instead of buried in the forum. ;)

I think if we crunch *really* hard this week, we might be able to make it into the 1st spot. Maybe...

-jim

edit: I think I'll set my machines for a two day cache. :thumbsup:

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I've been using a 3 day cache right along. ;)

Hmm.. what to work on during the outage? Gotta be BOINC - have to think about this.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Thanks for the heads up RobertE.

Is this an Intel friendly project?

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Friendlier than AMD for sure. I've got Intel Celeron 2.2 machines with 512meg that are out-performing AMD 64 3400s with 1 Gig of ram. <ouch!> :(

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Thanks Networkman! I'll put malariacontrol on hold 'till Enigma goes offline. Then back to malaria!

Q6600@2.4 GHz...should be interesting on how it performs on Enigma;)

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Originally posted by: caferace
Originally posted by: biodoc
Thanks Networkman! I'll put malariacontrol on hold 'till Enigma goes offline. Then back to malaria!

Q6600@2.4 GHz...should be interesting on how it performs on Enigma;)

After 14 days my stock clocked Q6600 is at 1,564.28 RAC. This is using the projects optimized app: http://www.enigmaathome.net//forum_thread.php?id=17

That makes it 5th in top boxes, right over Alyx's Q6600. :D

http://www.enigmaathome.net/top_hosts.php

-jim

Thanks caferace! I saw that post and was wondering if was worth the effort.

I'll give it a shot!

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Ok...went through the instructions.. and now am running:

Enigma 0.76-Opt 5.17

seems everything is ok.

danzigrules

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2000
sigh

It seems all the projects I ever start and want to forget about goes on hiatus, or I end up not liking. To make things worse, not all the pc's I have running boinc are setup for boinc manager.

Now I have to figure out what to run like networkman.

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: danzigrules
sigh

It seems all the projects I ever start and want to forget about goes on hiatus, or I end up not liking. To make things worse, not all the pc's I have running boinc are setup for boinc manager.

Now I have to figure out what to run like networkman.

Well, wait a week at least. We should have enough work to last through then AND take the #1 spot! :thumbsup:

On top of that, I don't think Alyx can catch you by next week. ;)

-jim

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005

Enigma 0.76-Opt 5.17

seems everything is ok.

You should be good to go. Nice thing about Enigma is that it's an "Instant Gratification" project, and I can see you in the stats already.... :D

-jim

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005

Enigma 0.76-Opt 5.17

seems everything is ok.

You should be good to go. Nice thing about Enigma is that it's an "Instant Gratification" project, and I can see you in the stats already.... :D

-jim

Yeah I started this morning with 50-50 malariacontrol/enigma but tonight switched to 100% enigma with optimized app.

I like jumping in and helping out the TeAms!:)

What I really need is another quad or maybe 2!:p

In my dreams;)

Alyx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2007

That makes it 5th in top boxes, right over Alyx's Q6600. :D

Grr! I'm at 3.6GHz, I just had a couple days lower output from the short outage awhile back. My machine grabbed a big buffer on Rosetta and I didn't want to let those units go to waste.

So I guess I'll jump on malariacontrol during the downtime, it'll make up for biodoc's contribution. :D

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Well since I'm supposed to be learning Linux anyway, I figure I'll just assimilate a P4 2.8 here and figure out how to install the BOINC client.. once I've figured out how to get the O/S downloaded and installed. :cool:

Jened

Mar 26, 2001
okay just joined up my xeon 3.2 box. it's crunching two tasks, any idea why progress stays at 0% when i view from task tab? i'm running as a service and task status says running and cpu time is increasing.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Jened
okay just joined up my xeon 3.2 box. it's crunching two tasks, any idea why progress stays at 0% when i view from task tab? i'm running as a service and task status says running and cpu time is increasing.

Because the app is messed up and they've never bothered to fix it. :roll: It's been this way for as long as I've been running the project. It doesn't affect functionality in any way.

Alyx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Jened

Its not totally because its broken. The enigma app is actually made by a different guy than who made the enigma boinc client. So the boinc enigma program is acting like a wrapper to make the original enigma program work well on boinc.

The enigma boinc client doesn't show a % because boinc only sees the wrapper and not the enigma program itself, it does still keep backups of progress for when you restart and what not though.

Jened

Mar 26, 2001
thanks for the explanations guys, i understand and that makes sense about the task completion % especially since i saw the original client you mentioned. i've had some work report in meantime. thanks for the warning about work, i've set it to download a bunch now and will set up a backup project. i guess in less than 2 days, we shall be #1, yay!!!