Encephalitis symptoms (YT)

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Wow. They really don't understand conditions that affect the brain very well at all. And there's this horrible tendency for medics to assume that "rare" is synonymous with "non-existent".

Dr House really is fictional - most doctors are somehow conditioned to not hear anything that doesn't fit into what they think they know. My experience is they literally don't listen if something threatens their self-image as all-knowing experts.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Brain on Fire: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3704700/

Fascinating movie. She went through hell. It took a really expert surgeon to diagnose her correctly. How he diagnoses her condition is fascinating as heck! Really telling how rare truly gifted medical professionals are.

I diagnosed anti NMDA encephalitis my first year as an attending physician (generalist). I would not consider myself "truly gifted." Better to not be lazy and be aware of biases. Also really helpful when you have days/weeks/months of work already done.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Tends to be a common problem with boozers (no safe exposure level)...sometimes called "wet brain".

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Tends to be a common problem with boozers (no safe exposure level)...sometimes called "wet brain".
Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome Is a very different animal. Though both can certainly make one wacky.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Some alcohol rehab programs include cognitive behavioral therapy. This therapy helps identify the underlying emotional causes behind a drinking problem, thus equipping alcoholics with better coping mechanisms.
Patients may also consider medication-assisted alcohol detox to help alleviate symptoms of withdrawal.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Boozers usually end up with encephalitis otherwise known as "wet brain" some at a very young age. "
What causes alcoholic encephalopathy?

Prolonged liver dysfunction resulting from alcohol consumption can lead to the development of a serious and potentially fatal brain disorder known as hepatic encephalopathy (HE).

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Boozers usually end up with encephalitis otherwise known as "wet brain" some at a very young age. "
What causes alcoholic encephalopathy?

Prolonged liver dysfunction resulting from alcohol consumption can lead to the development of a serious and potentially fatal brain disorder known as hepatic encephalopathy (HE).

Wet brain (WKS as I said above) is an encephalopathy related to chronic thiamine deficiency, hepatic encephalopathy is a metabolic encephalopathy related to liver failure, encephalitis is inflammation if the brain.

These are three distinct entities, you're conflating things.

This thread was started about a particular cause of encephalitis.

Reactions: nakedfrog and IGBT

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
A book I ran across recently called Locked In (by John Scalzi) followed a future where a contagious virus sweeps the world, not impacted most, but 1% who result in a Lock In, fully awake and aware but unable to move or respond to stimuli. The book is set a quarter of a century later when the science of the mind has been improved by leaps and bounds.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
A book I ran across recently called Locked In (by John Scalzi) followed a future where a contagious virus sweeps the world, not impacted most, but 1% who result in a Lock In, fully awake and aware but unable to move or respond to stimuli. The book is set a quarter of a century later when the science of the mind has been improved by leaps and bounds.
Locked In Syndrome is a real thing resultant for brain stem strokes (most commonly). It's absolutely horrifying.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Locked In Syndrome is a real thing resultant for brain stem strokes (most commonly). It's absolutely horrifying.
Yes, and the trigger point for the research focus change in the book was the wife of the President became locked in, causing the money to start to flow into research.