Email I got from comcast today....

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Here's a part of the email:
As a courtesy we are contacting you to let you know that you have
recently exceeded 103.62% of your monthly 1-gigabyte download
allowance for the period from 08/01/2002 to 09/01/2002.

Free download limit: 1.00 GB
Current usage: 1.04 GB
As of: 06:41:11 on 08/21/2002 (CDT)

Based on the rate at which you have been downloading files during
the current month, we project that you would use a total of 1.58 GB
by the end of this period.

So what do they do? Discontinue my news service? Charge me extra?

de

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: de8212

de
I'd read your TOS - it probably (if not definitely) states in there.

Rob

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't recall there being any quantitative limits in my Comcast TOS....when did you sign up with them? Is this some special thing if you use their NNTP servers?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
1 gig a month is NOTHING. I'm sorry, I'm truley sorry.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit

i go through 1 gig in a couple hours/days as well. That really sucks d00d.

-=bmacd=-

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Thats gay, someone needs a new provider.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
So stop downloading pr0n!
Believe it or not it was some music I downloaded over several hours.
So anyobody ever had them lock you out of using their new service until the next month??? What else would they do?

de

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: aphexII
Thats gay, someone needs a new provider.

Exactly!! Those SOB absolutely is suck!!! They raised my rates by $15 a month because I didn't have cable tv. I told them to kma, and went with dsl. Comcast is suck!!!:|

Viper22

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Did you happen to read the page and email when you signed up for your new Giganews account through Comcast? It says it a few times that the basic free acount only gives you 1GB a month. And yes if you go over they lock you out until your next month starts.

Viper22

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It sounds like they are going to charge you...I'd call and find out what going on.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
I don't understand why everyone is so upset, its not like broadband providers have been doing especially good business lately. As far as I'm concerned Comcast gives me a reasonable service for $45/month. Why don't you go complain about a corporation/organization that is making ridiculous profits ripping off the consumer *cough*RIAA*cough*

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: aswedc
I don't understand why everyone is so upset, its not like broadband providers have been doing especially good business lately. As far as I'm concerned Comcast gives me a reasonable service for $45/month. Why don't you go complain about a corporation/organization that is making ridiculous profits ripping off the consumer *cough*RIAA*cough*

I never use ISP news servers anyway. I pay for a service that provides great retention and carries all groups. Comcast originally was not going to provide news service at all so the fact that they are now providing 1 GB is just an extra for me to my exisiting service. The main thing I am paying Comcast for is speed.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: de8212

de

Aren't you using GigaNews? Last I heard, Comcast was using the GigaNews service. GigaNews disconnects you or disallows your viewing of the news. Comcast will just disallow your news service usage or suspend your username entirely.

nik (used to work for them)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit

News servers aren't meant for high broadband transfers like file trading, downloading, and fancy-looking crap. It was made for basic text transfer. And, when you're not cheating the system, 1GB/month is MORE than enough.

nik

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
We did that up and download on NFs4's server in 1 hour playing battlefield 1942. <-- Play this game!!!

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
I never use ISP news servers anyway. I pay for a service that provides great retention and carries all groups. Comcast originally was not going to provide news service at all so the fact that they are now providing 1 GB is just an extra for me to my exisiting service. The main thing I am paying Comcast for is speed.

Comcast news is really giganews. Not exactly a half-@ss ISP news server.

However, when the whole @home thing happened and they switched to comcast.net and limited newsgroup access, it was a sad day around here. The old news servers were great to grab what you could and use a really cheap pay service for backup and fills. Man, those old servers would fly back in the day and without a daily or monthly limit.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: royaldank

Comcast news is really giganews. Not exactly a half-@ss ISP news server.

However, when the whole @home thing happened and they switched to comcast.net and limited newsgroup access, it was a sad day around here. The old news servers were great to grab what you could and use a really cheap pay service for backup and fills. Man, those old servers would fly back in the day and without a daily or monthly limit.

Yes that is who they went with after they caught so much static from users used to the news servers on @Home. If I recall when I signed up for the free 1 GB there is some type of extension for pay agreement you can sign up for with Giganews. How much you save over a regular subscription with them I do not know.