Elementary kid arrested for possessing a weapon

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
A butter knife.

Two Charlotte-Mecklenburg School students face weapons violation charges after bringing prohibited items onto school campuses in unrelated incidents.

On Feb. 8, an Albemarle Road Elementary teacher alerted authorities after a fourth-grader at Albemarle Road Elementary brought a butter knife to class.

Several days later a student at Albemarle Road Middle School was charged with having a weapon on school property for bringing a gas-powered BB gun to campus on Tuesday, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police and CMS officials.

A juvenile suspect was also arrested Tuesday on a weapons charge in the butter knife incident at the elementary school, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said. But it was unclear whether the 4th grader who brought the knife to class was the one who was charged, because CMPD and CMS officials declined to comment. Charlotte-Mecklenburg police wouldn’t comment because the suspect is a juvenile; CMS officials didn’t elaborate on the arrests of either youth, because it is against school policy to discuss disciplinary actions for students

Link

Why not just take the damned butter knife and call his parents? Why must it be sensationalized to the point of arrest for a 4th grader?

What happened to common sense?

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
This is simply what happens when you put a bunch of fear mongering tools in charge.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I call these Zero Intelligence Policies.

Extra credit for the reporter who grouped a BB gun and a butter knife together generically as "weapons".

Last edited:

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
It must have been painted black and looked like a military assault knife.

Seriously, what if one of the kids picked up a knife at the cafeteria and stuck it in his pocket, would he/she get into trouble too?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
A butter knife is a "knife" in name only. It's not sharp. It's not pointed on the end.

I wonder if... on show and tell day, if a kid brought in one of his father's tools. "My father hangs drywall. This is a 4" putty knife."

Oh hell, you know the zero tolerance idiots would react to it. Hell, if the kid brought in a 12" putty knife, they'd have to call in the SWAT team.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Back in the '50s when I was this kid's age calling a butter knife a weapon would have gotten you laughed out of town. As I recall, you could carry a penknife as long as 3 fingers could cover the length of the blade. And I can't remember anyone ever getting stabbed with one.

ArmyVet88

Feb 13, 2013
Unless the kid like tried to hold up the class or something i don't understand this, if you just found the knife on him or in his bag that's out of control because the little kid made a knucklehead mistake that's all

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
One day, some school admin is going to say "enough's enough" and get fired for refusing to pull one of these stunts.

And that person will then become the most celebrated person in America. I don't know anyone who isn't fed up with this nonsense.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
A butter knife.

Why not just take the damned butter knife and call his parents? Why must it be sensationalized to the point of arrest for a 4th grader?

Because if the kid with a butter knife is not arrested, then the kid who brings in a butcher's knife and is arrested has his parents sue on the basis of inconsistent treatment (could be discrimination based on gender, race, personal grudge, who knows!).

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Remember episodes of Leave it to Beaver when the classmates would bring rifles in for show and tell?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
One day, some school admin is going to say "enough's enough" and get fired for refusing to pull one of these stunts.

And that person will then become the most celebrated person in America. I don't know anyone who isn't fed up with this nonsense.

While I am sure some do it because they think it is right I think many others do it out of fear of lawsuits. Everyone can yell and scream in support of this person but as soon as a child is hurt at that school you can be damn sure someone is going to sue - probably one of the same people who cheered that person on but has now been blinded by dollar signs

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
To think that I used to bring a paring knife to school to cut up my apples; nowadays I'd get tossed in jail!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Hell, I used to bring a USMC knife back in my HS days circa 1981. It was a tough school. Yes, kids got stabbed, shot, beat almost every week. And you'd be surprised what damage a simple butter knife can do. Not saying the OP is right, but just sayin.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Since we don't know the facts we don't know if it was appropriate or not.

For example if he threatened to use it as a weapon that's completely different than bringing it to spread peanut butter on crackers.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I guess we need to expand the TSA to cover schools. We also need to ban pens and pencils from schools. A sharp pencil would be a better weapon than a butter knife. Especially if it was painted black.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Since we don't know the facts we don't know if it was appropriate or not.

For example if he threatened to use it as a weapon that's completely different than bringing it to spread peanut butter on crackers.

What if he threatened to use a pencil as a weapon?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I guess we need to expand the TSA to cover schools. We also need to ban pens and pencils from schools. A sharp pencil would be a better weapon than a butter knife. Especially if it was painted black.

They should have charged him with rape as well, he has the tool for it.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
A butter knife.

It doesn't sell to the public