Electronics return to Costco

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigpimpatl

Jul 11, 2005
Is it worth the hassle to you to unmount/disassemble current tv, pack it in box, drive to costco, and return it just to save a few bucks?

Even if you're an average earner the answer will be no.

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
Okay guys, I'll take one for the team.

OP: You know people like YOU are the reason why Costco no longer has the AWESOME KICKASS LONG TERM ELECTRONICS WARRANTY anymore, right?

Isn't the warranty still 2 years? Just the return period is down to 90 days instead of the standard whenever you feel like it on the other stuff?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Isn't the warranty still 2 years? Just the return period is down to 90 days instead of the standard whenever you feel like it on the other stuff?

Yeah, the warranty is (3 years if you use Amex), but you have to deal with the manufacturer for repair/replacement instead of just taking it back to Costco at any time. Ever.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Ps. People who return food should have their membership revoked and perma ban from Costco.

no.

i purchased berries from costco that like to go bad in less than 4 days. i'm not completely satisfied, so why the hell can't i return them?

but op sucks.

Kipper717

Jun 17, 2003
FWIW, the TV is having some issues with the display. When I purchased the TV, I explained right up front to the cashier what I was doing. I was told that since I was paying, my name would be on the warranty. Only after I got home did I see that my brother's name was listed.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
You would have mentioned the issues in the OP. "some issues"=not as shiny as the new ones.

Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, the warranty is (3 years if you use Amex), but you have to deal with the manufacturer for repair/replacement instead of just taking it back to Costco at any time. Ever.

Really? I returned a 2-year old paper shredder with a 3-year warranty to Costco.

I left it in my car, went in, and specifically asked the service desk people if they could take it, or if I should deal directly with the manufacturer. They were more than happy to take it back.

It wasn't a TV though, and I'm pretty sure my account has a note on it that says "Cash Cow."

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
no.

i purchased berries from costco that like to go bad in less than 4 days. i'm not completely satisfied, so why the hell can't i return them?

but op sucks.
Soak berries in water+a little vinegar=berries for days. Kills the mold spores and no need to rinse. You won't taste the vinegar.

Kipper717

Jun 17, 2003
The issues with the TV aren't serious but there is a thin line at the top of the display and the Netflix app won't load even though it works fine from my LG blu-ray player connected to the same router.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
FWIW, the TV is having some issues with the display. When I purchased the TV, I explained right up front to the cashier what I was doing. I was told that since I was paying, my name would be on the warranty. Only after I got home did I see that my brother's name was listed.

With this kind of reception, no wonder you don't post much. Average of 13 post a year in the last 10 years......

3 post in this thread alone, that's the OP's 3 months quota for this year.

LOL

Anyway, if you're not completely satisfied with the product, yes return it.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
You dont have to justify it. You want to return it, its within the return period, simply return it. Just have your brother do the return to avoid any hassles, as I am sure they will need membership info. What you should think about doing is having your brother issue you a card, or just buy a membership yourself.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Really? I returned a 2-year old paper shredder with a 3-year warranty to Costco.

I left it in my car, went in, and specifically asked the service desk people if they could take it, or if I should deal directly with the manufacturer. They were more than happy to take it back.

It wasn't a TV though, and I'm pretty sure my account has a note on it that says "Cash Cow."

See below. I'm pretty sure that if the Manufacturer's Warranty > 2 years, Costco will honor it.

THE RETURN POLICY FOR TELEVISIONS, PROJECTORS, COMPUTERS, CAMERAS, CAMCORDERS, TOUCH SCREEN TABLETS, MP3S, AND CELLULAR PHONES IS 90 DAYS FROM DATE OF PURCHASE.

Manufacturer's warranty service is available on all electronics products. See manufacturer's warranty for specific coverage terms.

For COMPUTERS, TELEVISIONS and PROJECTORS, Costco extends the MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY to two years from date of purchase. Please call Costco Concierge™ Technical Support @ 1-866-861-0450 for warranty assistance.

PLEASE RETAIN YOUR RECEIPT FOR PROOF OF WARRANTY ENTITLEMENT.For FREE technical support, set-up help, or warranty assistance for televisions, computers, touch screen tablets, projectors, cameras, camcorders, MP3 players, home theater systems, dvd and blu-ray players, printers (stand alone), monitors (stand alone), routers or pressure washers you purchase at Costco or Costco.com call Costco Concierge™ Services @ 1-866-861-0450.

This service is available exclusively for Costco members.

---

Ooooh... now the TV has something wrong with it. How convenient. Would have been handy to have said that in the OP instead of, you know, covering you ass.

You know how I know you're full of shit?

I bought a 55" LG TV for about $1100, just before Thanksgiving and I think I want to return it. I saw a slightly better model for around the same price ...

I am on day 85 of the 90 day return period.

Last edited:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
He wants a Smart TV.

Smart TV's are actually stupid. The apps never work as well as stand-alone boxes, and the manufacturer tends to stop updating them a few months after the model comes out.

On the other hand, something like a Roku is constantly updated, works very well, can be used on any TV, and saves you $100 over buying a smart TV.

:colbert:

Oct 20, 2005
The issues with the TV aren't serious but there is a thin line at the top of the display and the Netflix app won't load even though it works fine from my LG blu-ray player connected to the same router.

Dude BS. You're really stretching it with the whole "There is something wrong w/ my unit" card.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Return it and bring your brother.
If the Netflix app is screwing up, take it back!

I just bought a new TV from Costco a few weeks ago.
I bought it specifically for the Apps, since I just dropped DirecTV.
If my apps fail, I will return it too.

Oct 20, 2005
Return it and bring your brother.
If the Netflix app is screwing up, take it back!

I just bought a new TV from Costco a few weeks ago.
I bought it specifically for the Apps, since I just dropped DirecTV.
If my apps fail, I will return it too.

That to me, would be a valid reason to return the item. The OP is clearly making up stuff to jump on the "it's actually broken" wagon. He only mentioned that his TV has "problems" after everyone jumped on his case for returning something due to buyer's remorse.

Kipper717

Jun 17, 2003
Are you a mind reader? Have you been in my house to see the TV for yourself.
I am not jumping on any "it's actually broken wagon. "

The TV does have issues that I didn't mention in my original post because I just wanted to see what other people's experiences were. Sorry if I want to take advantage of Costco's return policy. I tend to procrastinate so that's partly why I am thinking of doing this far into the return period, that and my brother was in the hospital for a little while and I am sure I will need him if and when I return the set.

Man, you would think I'm taking money from some of the posters pockets. Such vitriol.