Electric motorcycle entrepreneur killed by Prius

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Revolting. I hope the Prius driver gets charged.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/08/31/state/n054954D71.DTL

A Santa Rosa entrepreneur who was working with a business in India to promote electric motorcycles in that country has died in a car-motorcycle crash near a California shopping mall.

Santa Rosa Police Sgt. Doug Schlief says 29-year-old Matthew Dieckmann was riding an electric motorcycle near the Coddingtown Mall at about 10:40 a.m. Monday when a Toyota Prius collided with the cycle.

Schlief says Dieckmann hit the car's passenger side. He died at the scene.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
Schlief says Dieckmann hit the car's passenger side. He died at the scene.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Dieckmann was wearing a helmet. Schlief says investigators are still trying to determine who may have been at fault.

Yes....charge the Prius driver before anyone is found at fault. If he wasn't wearing a helmet then that's his own damned fault. And from that it sounds like the bike hit the car, but it also says the Prius collided with the motorcycle so who knows what actually happened.

But hey, way to fucking jump to conclusions man.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yes....charge the Prius driver before anyone is found at fault. If he wasn't wearing a helmet then that's his own damned fault. And from that it sounds like the bike hit the car, but it also says the Prius collided with the motorcycle so who knows what actually happened.

Let's just all stay grounded before we amp up the accusations, k?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
SANTA ROSA, CA -- Electric motorcycle entrepreneur Matthew Dieckmann, 29, was killed in Santa Rosa Monday morning in a collision with a Toyota Prius.

The crash happened shortly before 10:40 a.m. at the intersection of West Steele Lane and Range Avenue.

Gilbert Dorame, a 71-year-old Santa Rosa resident, was driving his Prius west on West Steele Lane while Dieckmann was riding his special-construction electric motorcycle east on Steele Lane.

Dorame appears to have turned left onto Range Avenue from Steele Lane and crossed into the motorcycle's path.

Dieckmann crashed into the right side of the Toyota and died at the scene, police said.

The intersection is controlled by a traffic signal that appears to have been operating properly at the time, police said.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation, but so far police are saying that alcohol or speed do not appear to have been factors.

Dieckmann was the founder of a Santa Rosa-based company called Electric Race Bikes.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/north_bay&id=7640133

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
He suffered an environmentally friendly death. I guess they'll be having a green funeral.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Shit like that just drains the life out of people. I guess there are positives and negatives to everything though.

Last edited:

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002

Electric motorcycle entrepreneur killed by Prius
Revolting. I hope the Prius driver gets charged.

Maybe the revolting part is pushing it but I think I got it all.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The Bike looked kind of cool. Too bad he is gone now. :'(

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/05/electric-race-bikes-egp/

mike-hannas-ttxgp.jpg

Last edited: