Economy thread:11-13-07 Half Million dollar home neighborhoods fighting inner-city problems like gangs, drugs and theft

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I am marking the start of this latest Recession as now so that Republicans can't say it didn't start under Bush like they tried to pin the last one on Bill Clinton:

10-17-2007 Home starts at 14 year low, CPI up on energy

U.S. home construction starts fell in September to their lowest level in more than 14 years, while consumer prices rose at the sharpest rate in four months, separate reports showed on Wednesday.

Weak housing data boosted U.S. government bond prices and the U.S. dollar slipped versus euro and yen as some investors saw the data as a sign of continuing headwinds for the economy.

So far in 2007, consumer prices have risen at a 3.6 percent annual rate, well ahead of the 2.5 percent increase registered for all of 2006 and likely enough to keep Federal Reserve policy-makers concerned about the potential for a flare-up in inflation.

===============================================
10-1-2007 Sadly more Police Officers are being gunned down and killed in the line of duty than more than 30 years.

Must be the great economy

================================================
Can the rich save the world from what the GOP has done?

Doesn't look that way.

I said back at least as sar as 2002 this will make the 1929 crash look like a walk in the park:

8-12-2007 U.S. homeowner woes felt around world

From New York to Frankfurt to Tokyo, markets were jolted in the past week by fears that Americans are failing to keep up with their mortgage payments and the ripple effects that could have on the global banking and financial system.

The Wall Street stock market crash of 1929 and the Great Depression affected the entire world, and helped create the conditions for the rise of fascism in Europe.

=======================================================
Economy thread:5-31-07 Rich have best day ever, S&P sets new record while Economy back to 2002 levels

Ever growing Gap between rich and poor

4-24-07 Today's big news items

Existing home sales lowest in over 20 years.

Toyota now number one.

I'm sure both are somehow all the Democrat's fault.

=========================================
I don't know what to write that won't be considered "trolling" now.

Only pointing out how the U.S. has fallen from the top spot on so many fronts including this one.

Latest news is has Mexican businessman saying how "inefficient" the Gates and Buffet Foundations are and don't do anything towards solving poverty.

Guess he doesn't realize that is not the goal of the foundations, they are just tax shelters for the rich so they don't have to pay their fair share of taxes.
-----------------------------------------
[/b]

New Economy thread. My last one dated back to 2004.

Old thread Topic Title: Economy:4-4-07 Rich lose confidence in stock market

Many of the things I predicted in that thread are coming to roost now.

Back in 2004 many in here said I was seeing things with the empty subdivsions, interesting now it's front page news.

Well hell, I'm not surprised. I should be getting paid the big bucks since these so called experts are clueless.

4-10-2007 Fed's Plosser: U.S. economy weaker than expected

Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank President Charles Plosser said on Tuesday that the U.S. economy is not as strong as the Fed had expected two months ago and prices remained higher.

Personal consumption and employment were strong but business investment was weaker, Plosser said in response to a question after delivering a speech to business and economic students at the University of Delaware.
====================================================

Certainly looking like a nasty Economy crash is looming very close on the horizon.

What is holding it up???

Borrowing Borrowing Borrowing. That's not going to keep the head above water forever.

=======================================================
11-10-2005 U.S. Owes China, Canada, South America, Central America and Oil Barons At Record Levels and more than 500,000 Americans lose their jobs last week alone

WASHINGTON - The trade deficit soared to a record in September as the Gulf Coast hurricanes helped push America's foreign oil bill to an all-time high.

The politically sensitive deficit with China also set a record.

In other economic news, the government reported that the number of Americans who have lost their jobs because of the string of devastating Gulf Coast hurricanes rose to 542,000 last week. Last week's increase included 15,000 applications for jobless benefits related to Katrina and Rita and 6,000 attributed to Hurricane Wilma.

The increase of 21,000 hurricane-related jobless claims came out of a total of 326,000 new applications for jobless benefits filed last week, an increase of 2,000 from the previous week. That was a worse-than-expected showing. Analysts had been expecting overall claims to decline last week.

In addition to the record deficit with China, America's trade imbalance with Canada also set a record, rising to $7.4 billion.

America's deficit with the countries of South and Central America also set a record at $4.99 billion.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
This is hysterical.

Look at him put down Buffet & Gates.

Does he not know the reason the Americans set up those foundations is to not have to pay their fair of taxes???.

4-12-2007 Mexican telecom magnate passes Buffett on world's rich list

MEXICO CITY - Mexican telecom magnate Carlos Slim has quietly overtaken investor Warren Buffett as the world's second-richest man and is close to wresting the top spot from Bill Gates, Forbes magazine reported Wednesday.

Slim said shortly afterward that he wasn't concerned about his ranking or taking over the top spot, but he expressed differences with Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., and Gates, the chairman and co-founder of Microsoft Corp.

Slim, who owns Mexico's dominant phone company and has holdings throughout Latin America, said his vision of a businessman's role in the world is at odds with that of Buffett, who announced last year he would donate $1.5 billion every year to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

"It's very interesting, because he leaves those who are running his affairs the responsibility of being very profitable,"

Slim said of Buffett. "If they're inefficient or don't get real-term returns, they're not going to be running anything."

"Our concept is more to accomplish and solve things, rather than giving ? that is, not going around like Santa Claus," Slim said. "Poverty isn't solved with donations."

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
This is hysterical.

Does he not know the reason the Americans set up those foundations is to not have to pay their fair of taxes???.

MEXICO CITY - Mexican telecom magnate Carlos Slim has quietly overtaken investor Warren Buffett as the world's second-richest man and is close to wresting the top spot from Bill Gates, Forbes magazine reported Wednesday.

Slim said shortly afterward that he wasn't concerned about his ranking or taking over the top spot, but he expressed differences with Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., and Gates, the chairman and co-founder of Microsoft Corp.

Slim, who owns Mexico's dominant phone company and has holdings throughout Latin America, said his vision of a businessman's role in the world is at odds with that of Buffett, who announced last year he would donate $1.5 billion every year to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

"It's very interesting, because he leaves those who are running his affairs the responsibility of being very profitable,"

Slim said of Buffett. "If they're inefficient or don't get real-term returns, they're not going to be running anything."

"Our concept is more to accomplish and solve things, rather than giving ? that is, not going around like Santa Claus," Slim said. "Poverty isn't solved with donations."

So if he is doing so much damn good then why are so many wanting to leave to come to the US?

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I was reading an article regarding this a week or so ago. It claimed that Mexico doesn't have a social culture of philanthropy as it's expected that the government will do it.

Buffett and Gates seem more interested in giving away their money than generating it like Slim.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
This is hysterical.

So if he is doing so much damn good then why are so many wanting to leave to come to the US?
This guy made his billions the old fashion way, running a state-sanctioned monopolistic telecom giant. He has the balls to slam Buffett for his donations when he relied on the Mexican government to protect his monopoly. :roll:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

No, I think it more likely that he's just better aware of US tax law

Unfortunately, at higher levels of income, your hard-won and carefully documented itemized deductions will be phased out, and you won't be able to deduct them in the current year - or ever.

Fern

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I don't know what to write that won't be considered "trolling" now.

Only pointing out how the U.S. has fallen from the top spot on so many fronts including this one.

Latest news is has Mexican businessman saying how "inefficient" the Gates and Buffet Foundations are and don't do anything towards solving poverty.

Guess he doesn't realize that is not the goal of the foundations, they are just tax shelters for the rich so they don't have to pay their fair share of taxes.
-----------------------------------------

So true, but at least we still have the greatest marketing machines ever created.:D

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The resident Republicans have been claiming this isn't happening

4-17-2007 Consumer prices surged in March

Surging energy prices pushed consumer inflation up by the largest amount in nearly a year in March.

Energy prices surged by 5.9 percent last month, the largest one-month increase since September 2005, when Hurricane Katrina shut down Gulf Coast refineries.

The average price for gasoline has surged by 71.1 cents over the past 11 weeks, according to a survey by the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

A gallon of gasoline cost $2.876 on average nationwide last week.

4-16-2007 Gas is over $4 in California

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Notice that it has been about 11 weeks since the Dems "swept" the elections and took their seats.

Makes you wonder...

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005

why should resident republicans deny this is happening? After all didn't the democrats lay claim that this would not happen as well?

huh?????

guess what dave, the democrats control congress, I certainly don't see ANY action being taken to reduce gas prices.... but lets not look there ok?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Shivetya

why should resident republicans deny this is happening? After all didn't the democrats lay claim that this would not happen as well?

huh?????

guess what dave, the democrats control congress, I certainly don't see ANY action being taken to reduce gas prices.... but lets not look there ok?

Of course it's all the Democrats fault. I'll update Title accordingly.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Besides the new record, not looking good for Yahoo :(

4-18-2007 Dow closes above 12,800 for first time

NEW YORK - The Dow Jones industrial average closed above 12,800 for the first time Wednesday, signaling Wall Street's recovery from its steep decline in February as investors rewarded companies with strong earnings.

The day was not a standout for the overall market, however. Technology stocks lagged following disappointing earnings from leaders including Yahoo Inc.

Yahoo plunged $3.78, or 11.8 percent, to $28.31 after the Internet portal reported disappointing results late Tuesday. The results left Wall Street wondering how much longer it will take the company to regain its financial footing after it stumbled through most of 2006.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Let's see, on Jan. 20, 2001 when Bush took office it was at 10,568.
The all time high before Bush took office, was, iirc, about 11,900 in 1998.
So despite almost 4 trillion dollars of deficit spending the market has gone up very little in almost 8 years.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: techs
So despite almost 4 trillion dollars of deficit spending the market has gone up very little in almost 8 years.

Hey, some of the rich had to help pay their defense buddies.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
hey something has to fuel retirement programs. Unless you think they should stick it under their mattresses....

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: blackangst1
hey something has to fuel retirement programs.

Unless you think they should stick it under their mattresses....

Actually with the state of the robber baron banking industry, yes.

wait what? what does the banking industry have to do with the stock market? :confused:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
BTW Dave I was checking out your homepage again, and I have to say you live better than I do. Even though you've accused me of being rich (hahahahahahaha) you certainly have more money than me.

You rich bastard.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
BTW Dave I was checking out your homepage again, and I have to say you live better than I do. Even though you've accused me of being rich (hahahahahahaha) you certainly have more money than me.

You rich bastard.

Interesting since I actually own nothing and trying to hang on to house and our cars.

I do have to update the website with loss of the Bar and Yacht.

Thanks for reminding me and glad I live better than you despite not having a dime in the bank. That's pretty :cool: and you must be doing pretty lousy for such a loud mouth.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002

So now you're blaming Bush for stock prices since 1998?

Btw, the top was in Jan of 2000. If you want to compare numbers since 1998, the market is up almost 50 percent, even after going through a recession.

There was a good article in IBD the other day regarding the cherry picking of dates that often occurs when trying to compare the economies under different leadership. It's a good read.

Link

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

You rich bastard.

Interesting since I actually own nothing and trying to hang on to house and our cars.

I do have to update the website with loss of the Bar and Yacht.

Thanks for reminding me and glad I live better than you despite not having a dime in the bank. That's pretty :cool: and you must be doing pretty lousy for such a loud mouth.

Actually, I am doing well for myself. No help from anyone. Recovered from the dot.com bust for the most part, and I really dont have much in the bank either. Everything I save goes into mutual funds so when I get to your age (and older) Im not broke.

But still, you live better than me. I guess Im willing to sacrifice a few things to make sure my future is taken care of. Something you have hinted should be the governments job.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: wetech

So now you're blaming Bush for stock prices since 1998?

Btw, the top was in Jan of 2000. If you want to compare numbers since 1998, the market is up almost 50 percent, even after going through a recession.

There was a good article in IBD the other day regarding the cherry picking of dates that often occurs when trying to compare the economies under different leadership. It's a good read.

Link

QFT

The other thing people dont seem to understand, is that whatever fiscal changes an administration makes, it takes anywhere from 2-6 years to fully realize. AAhhh life is blissful with your head in the sand!