Economy thread:11-13-07 Half Million dollar home neighborhoods fighting inner-city problems like gangs, drugs and theft

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: techs
Let's see, on Jan. 20, 2001 when Bush took office it was at 10,568.
The all time high before Bush took office, was, iirc, about 11,900 in 1998.
So despite almost 4 trillion dollars of deficit spending the market has gone up very little in almost 8 years.
After adjusting for inflation, the Dow is finally back to its previous high (approximately). It was a long, slow recovery.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: wetech
Originally posted by: techs
Let's see, on Jan. 20, 2001 when Bush took office it was at 10,568.
The all time high before Bush took office, was, iirc, about 11,900 in 1998.
So despite almost 4 trillion dollars of deficit spending the market has gone up very little in almost 8 years.

So now you're blaming Bush for stock prices since 1998?

Btw, the top was in Jan of 2000. If you want to compare numbers since 1998, the market is up almost 50 percent, even after going through a recession.

There was a good article in IBD the other day regarding the cherry picking of dates that often occurs when trying to compare the economies under different leadership. It's a good read.

Link

QFT

The other thing people dont seem to understand, is that whatever fiscal changes an administration makes, it takes anywhere from 2-6 years to fully realize. AAhhh life is blissful with your head in the sand!

Sorry it doesn't take long to devalue the dollar and increase stock prices.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I just listened to a money matters program on the radio over the weekend and they (Finkelstein) claimed that the economy is doing fine. In fact you may make even more money investing in China. People keep making money in the stock market. If you invest in the stock market during a down trend you make even more money.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Today's big news items

Existing home sales lowest in over 20 years.

Toyota now number one.

The housing market crumbled when the secondary market collaped awhile ago (I think you posted about that).

It's actually not such a bad thing. Housing is alot more affordable for those wanting to buy a house ;)

BTW...Toyota is number one in what exactly?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Today's big news items

Toyota now number one.

The housing market crumbled when the secondary market collaped awhile ago (I think you posted about that).

It's actually not such a bad thing. Housing is alot more affordable for those wanting to buy a house ;)

Toyota has replaced GM at the top.

The housing market since 2001 was a Republican house of cards along with the Economy.

They are both crashing hard and fast.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Today's big news items

Toyota now number one.

Toyota has replaced GM at the top.

The housing market since 2001 was a Republican house of cards along with the Economy.

They are both crashing hard and fast.

Well, Toyota is on its way to topping GM, but it hasnt happened yet. But as usual, you get overexcited.

LOL @ Republican house of cards...what a dolt! Republicans have absolutely ZERO to do with the collapse of the housing market lol...it has to do with two things mostly:
1. The prevolance of ARM's in the late 90's and early 00. Principle is coming due and people bit off more than they can chew;
2. Greedy SECONDARY lenders taking larger than usual risks in selling mortgages to a risky sector.

Dave, sorry, but once again you dont have a clue about economics....I can post 20+ links to support what I just said. Youre just plain stupid with your blind hatred of Republicans.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The news over the last two days clearly shows the widening gap in America between the rich and poor:

5-30-2007 S&P Reaches Record

The S&P 500 set a new all-time closing high on Wednesday, eclipsing its previous record of 1527.46 set on March 24, 2000, the start of the technology downturn that cut the index in half over the next 2 1/2 years.

The Nasdaq has recovered a little more than half of its nearly 80% decline from 2000-2002, while the Dow eclipsed its 2000 peak last year.

5-31-2007 Economy Has Worst Growth Since 2002

The economy nearly stalled in the first quarter with growth slowing to a pace of just 0.6 percent. That was the worst three-month showing in over four years.
The new reading on the gross domestic product, released by the Commerce Department Thursday, showed that economic growth in the January-to-April quarter was much weaker. Government statisticians slashed by more than half their first estimate of a 1.3 percent growth rate for the quarter.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke doesn't believe the economy will slide into recession this year, nor do Bush administration officials. But ex Fed chief Alan Greenspan has put the odds at one in three.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Another dmcowen674 prediction made many years ago comes home to roost:

8-12-2007 U.S. homeowner woes felt around world

FRANKFURT, Germany - The latest crisis in financial markets has once again served as a reminder of how vital and interconnected the health of the U.S. economy is to that of the rest of the world.

Global interdependency isn't a recent phenomenon: The Wall Street stock market crash of 1929 and the Great Depression affected the entire world, and helped create the conditions for the rise of fascism in Europe.

From New York to Frankfurt to Tokyo, markets were jolted in the past week by fears that Americans are failing to keep up with their mortgage payments and the ripple effects that could have on the global banking and financial system.

Around the globe, small-time investors are taking a beating.

"We all feel threatened, problems on the stock exchange have consequences for the economy of America and of the world" said Gabriella Savarini, a 69-year-old shopkeeper in Rome. "America influences all, for good or for bad."

The distress in the markets makes it harder and more expensive for businesses and consumers to get loans and cash, Archer said. If companies cannot get loans, they cannot expand and may have to cut expenses, typically through layoffs.

America faced a crisis similar to the current mortgage fiasco when hundreds of savings and loan companies went belly-up in the 1980s. Back then, the fallout did not spread dramatically to foreign shores because the U.S. government stepped in to bail out the banks and repay depositors.

But the past two decades have seen a quantum leap in globalization and outsourcing, crumbling trade barriers, and a revolution in financial markets have knit the world tightly together.

A steep sell-off in global markets on Thursday and Friday was triggered by distress signals from France's biggest bank, BNP Paribas, which had to freeze billions of dollars in assets in three mutual funds because of the falling value of securities linked to high-risk mortgages taken out by U.S. borrowers.

"I'm sitting here in Brazil and Brazilian markets have gotten crushed by this. ... It's hit all the emerging markets," said Kenneth Rogoff, a former director of research at the International Monetary Fund and now a professor at Harvard University. "If this were to snowball next week, it would affect markets in Turkey, Indonesia."

More Americans are failing to keep up with their home mortgage payments, and there are concerns that this could ripple around the globe because much of the debt from mortgages has been packaged into securities sold to pension funds, banks and other investors who were hungry for high returns on investments.

The same mortgage securities in the U.S. that are crumbling in value are a part of bigger holdings that banks from Japan to Germany bought into because of low U.S. interest rates and a good returns. That is, until the mortgage holders started defaulting.

Meanwhile, the ability of banks to convert assets to cash quickly was in doubt because some were unable to track how much money they poured into now worthless securities backed by sub-prime U.S. mortgages, or loans made to high credit-risk individuals.

Those bad loans raised fears of broader credit troubles that could affect the entire banking and financial system ? concerns that caused stock markets to plummet and threatened pensions.
=================================================

Gee maybe it wasn't such a brilliant idea by the GOP to hand out money like candy to developers???

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: chowderhead
<blockquote>quote:
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
<blockquote>quote:
This is hysterical.

Look at him put down Buffet & Gates.

Does he not know the reason the Americans set up those foundations is to not have to pay their fair of taxes???.

4-12-2007 Mexican telecom magnate passes Buffett on world's rich list

MEXICO CITY - Mexican telecom magnate Carlos Slim has quietly overtaken investor Warren Buffett as the world's second-richest man and is close to wresting the top spot from Bill Gates, Forbes magazine reported Wednesday.

Slim said shortly afterward that he wasn't concerned about his ranking or taking over the top spot, but he expressed differences with Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., and Gates, the chairman and co-founder of Microsoft Corp.

Slim, who owns Mexico's dominant phone company and has holdings throughout Latin America, said his vision of a businessman's role in the world is at odds with that of Buffett, who announced last year he would donate $1.5 billion every year to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

"It's very interesting, because he leaves those who are running his affairs the responsibility of being very profitable,"

Slim said of Buffett. "If they're inefficient or don't get real-term returns, they're not going to be running anything."

"Our concept is more to accomplish and solve things, rather than giving ? that is, not going around like Santa Claus," Slim said. "Poverty isn't solved with donations."</blockquote>

So if he is doing so much damn good then why are so many wanting to leave to come to the US?</blockquote>
This guy made his billions the old fashion way, running a state-sanctioned monopolistic telecom giant. He has the balls to slam Buffett for his donations when he relied on the Mexican government to protect his monopoly. :roll:

This actually gave me a good chuckle, because of how true it really is.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Right on cue as predicted by me.

Rich trying to save themselves:

8-13-2007 Goldman hedge fund gets $3B bailout

NEW YORK - Goldman Sachs Group said Monday it is leading a group of investors that includes Maurice "Hank" Greenberg and Eli Broad, sinking $3 billion into one of its biggest hedge funds which has seen its value plunge amid market volatility.

The investment bank said its Global Equity Opportunities fund "suffered significantly" as global markets sold off on worries about debt and credit. The fund lost about 28 percent in the past few weeks, dragging its value down to $3.6 billion, from about $5 billion last month.

Goldman Sachs will invest $2 billion. Other investors will contribute about $1 billion to the fund, whose computer-driven investment strategies were disrupted by triple-digit swings in the financial markets.

In addition, the investment bank said that two other hedge funds it manages ? Global Alpha and the North American Equities Opportunities Fund ? have also suffered during the market dislocation. The Alpha fund, for instance, has lost 27 percent of its value ? with more than half of that last week alone.

Viniar would not say if the bank was considering similar action for the other two funds, which combined are worth about $6.4 billion. He said Goldman has spent the past week reducing the risk and leverage for all three funds to stem losses.

The $2.7 trillion hedge fund industry uses investments from wealthy individuals and institutions to make bets on stocks and other securities using sophisticated investment strategies.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

NEW YORK - Goldman Sachs Group said Monday it is leading a group of investors that includes Maurice "Hank" Greenberg and Eli Broad, sinking $3 billion into one of its biggest hedge funds which has seen its value plunge amid market volatility.

The investment bank said its Global Equity Opportunities fund "suffered significantly" as global markets sold off on worries about debt and credit. The fund lost about 28 percent in the past few weeks, dragging its value down to $3.6 billion, from about $5 billion last month.

Goldman Sachs will invest $2 billion. Other investors will contribute about $1 billion to the fund, whose computer-driven investment strategies were disrupted by triple-digit swings in the financial markets.

In addition, the investment bank said that two other hedge funds it manages ? Global Alpha and the North American Equities Opportunities Fund ? have also suffered during the market dislocation. The Alpha fund, for instance, has lost 27 percent of its value ? with more than half of that last week alone.

Viniar would not say if the bank was considering similar action for the other two funds, which combined are worth about $6.4 billion. He said Goldman has spent the past week reducing the risk and leverage for all three funds to stem losses.

The $2.7 trillion hedge fund industry uses investments from wealthy individuals and institutions to make bets on stocks and other securities using sophisticated investment strategies.

Right on cue? Where did you predict that, down to the date?

Wow, so some people who have a lot of money, now want to buy into a fund when the price is cheap?!?!? Color me shocked!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

Wow, so some people who have a lot of money, now want to buy into a fund when the price is cheap?!?!? Color me shocked!

How much did you kick in???

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

How much did you kick in???

Yeah, I have a net worth over a million bucks despite having ~160k in student loans. Typical dave response.

Where's your prediction sparky?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Where, mine?

I've always agreed hedge is risky, and actually, theyve never done anything for me. I prefer straight equity or debt for 80% of my money. The rest I can play with, and have stops and shorts on. Im not a big futures player. Besides...I'm not on the accredited investor list anyway ;)

You know more about that than I do though. But you already know that too :)

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Where, mine?

I've always agreed hedge is risky, and actually, theyve never done anything for me. I prefer straight equity or debt. Besides...I'm not on the accredited investor list anyway ;)

You know more about that than I do though. But you already know that too :)

Most hedge funds were actually created with the target of diminishing risk, not increasing it (low beta, consistent alpha). Right now the universe of hedge funds is so diverse that the very term "hedge fund" is a meaningless shell, and says nothing at all on the strategy, asset classes or time horizon used.

It's basically just a legal definition.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The rich are trying their damndest to save themselves.

8-17-2007 Fed OK Rare Reduction On Discount Rate on Loans

The Federal Reserve approved a half-percentage point cut in its discount rate on loans to banks Friday, a dramatic move designed to stabilize financial markets roiled by a widening credit crisis.

The decision means that the discount rate, the interest rate that the Fed charges to make direct loans to banks, will be lowered to 5.75 percent, down from 6.25 percent.

The Fed did not change its target for the more important federal funds rate, which has remained at 5.25 percent for more than a year. Friday's move was not expected to have an immediate impact on consumer borrowing.

However, it has been infusing billions of dollars in money into the banking system over the past week to keep that rate from rising above the target level.

Stocks soared at the opening of trading on Wall Street, propelling the Dow Jones industrial average up more than 300 points.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003

The Federal Reserve approved a half-percentage point cut in its discount rate on loans to banks Friday, a dramatic move designed to stabilize financial markets roiled by a widening credit crisis.

The decision means that the discount rate, the interest rate that the Fed charges to make direct loans to banks, will be lowered to 5.75 percent, down from 6.25 percent.

The Fed did not change its target for the more important federal funds rate, which has remained at 5.25 percent for more than a year. Friday's move was not expected to have an immediate impact on consumer borrowing.

However, it has been infusing billions of dollars in money into the banking system over the past week to keep that rate from rising above the target level.

Stocks soared at the opening of trading on Wall Street, propelling the Dow Jones industrial average up more than 300 points.

My guess this is the beginning of a series of rate cuts by the fed.

They have to drop rates to keep the mortgage market from sinking.

They need to be able to get people to re-fi their ARMS to fixed and also to get the housing market going again...

Also...credit card rates keep going up and up.

Sort of getting to the point like when Bush first took office.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Why do you hate the rich so much? Is it because you're jealous their parents gave them good educations and instilled in them values of financial success? You can still go back and get your GED. Honest, and then your degree and make some money, too, and trust me it's nicer living when you don't blame everything on somebody else because, well, it's your fault your life sucks, not anybody else's, but the power to change it is within reach.

With all the wasted time spent here, surely you could be doing something productive if your life sucks so much, couldn't you?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

They need to be able to get people to re-fi their ARMS to fixed and also to get the housing market going again...

So it's all Bill Clintons fault still right?

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003

So it's all Bill Clintons fault still right?

No...I think it was Greenspans fault if I remember right...could have even been politically motivated to "blame" Clinton...

All I am saying is at the time the Fed waited to long to cut rates.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear

8-17-2007 Will Wall St Troubles Lead to Recession?

"There is just a lot of fear out there," said David Wyss, chief economist at Standard & Poor's in New York. "Right now people are so scared that we are losing liquidity even on safe securities."

There is also a fear that the credit crunch could harm business borrowing, forcing companies to scale back on their plans to expand their operations, resulting in job layoffs throughout the economy, not just in the construction industry, which has already been struggling with the slowdown in housing.

President Bush, whose approval rating for his handling of the economy was at 41 percent in August, according to the latest AP-Ipsos poll, near the low-point for his presidency, tried last week to calm market fears.