Economic anxiety on the rise again- Nazi Sympathizer profiled by The Times loses his job

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
We're not repeating anything and America is far less racist today than it has ever been. That ignorant way of thinking is slowly dying out as generations pass on and we teach our children better, but calling it out and pretending it's worse than ever does have consequences. When you attack someone's basic human right to feed their family you very likely turn malcontents into potential terrorists.

I'm curious, if I were to search your posts, how many will I find where you were complaining about Muslim civilians being killed on behalf of the war on terror?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We're not repeating anything and America is far less racist today than it has ever been. That ignorant way of thinking is slowly dying out as generations pass on and we teach our children better, but calling it out and pretending it's worse than ever does have consequences. When you attack someone's basic human right to feed their family you very likely turn malcontents into potential terrorists.
When we elect someone who is a blatant racist, gives aid and comfort to white supremacists there's no way you can convince me we are moving in any direction except backwards.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
That business had all the right in the world to fire him. I'm not faulting them so much as I am the crusading do-gooders who think it's better those they don't agree with be deprived the simple ability to feed their families. It's counterproductive to building a better society when you breed your own home-grown terrorists in the name of justice.
I won't say that I disagree with you whole-heartedly. However, the dude made his choice knowing that the fallout could be overwhelming. He chose to put his family in this position. His priority was hate, not family... No matter what manner of things he pretends his hate can one day garner them. He knows somewhere in his bullshit psyche that what he 'believes' is completely absurd and based on nothing truly good, that it stems from hate.

Homegrown terrorist? Nah, we'll put that shit down. They should be given no guarantee to the opportunities decent people enjoy. That is part and parcel how this shit is shut down. There should be no expectation on the part of a supremacist to enjoy that which they would willingly strip from anyone that doesn't look like or think like them.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I won't say that I disagree with you whole-heartedly. However, the dude made his choice knowing that the fallout could be overwhelming. He chose to put his family in this position. His priority was hate, not family... No matter what manner of things he pretends his hate can one day garner them. He knows somewhere in his bullshit psyche that what he 'believes' is completely absurd and based on nothing truly good, that it stems from hate.

Homegrown terrorist? Nah, we'll put that shit down. They should be given no guarantee to the opportunities decent people enjoy. That is part and parcel how this shit is part shut down. There should be no expectation on the part of a supremacist to enjoy that which they would willingly strip from anyone that doesn't look like or think like them.

The Nazi made poor choices at oh so many levels. Now as a civilized society what should be permitted, who makes those choices, what should the consequences and limitations be? What prevents you from becoming "those people" some day if trends shift in what's acceptable.

Please note that I have no sympathy for this man whatsoever. I just wonder about the larger picture and how things change over time. Meh, I'm probably not making sense to you.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
When we elect someone who is a blatant racist, gives aid and comfort to white supremacists there's no way you can convince me we are moving in any direction except backwards.
Exactly.

@Paladin3 You must intentionally ignore today's climate to think that your live and let live (when it comes to Nazi's specifically?) mentality will do anything other than allow their numbers to fester and grow. Those kinds of people, without reason, create reason. With out the forceful opinions and demands against them they go unchecked and find as well as nurture their hatreds on imagined slights. What these people understand/fear is light being shed upon their own choices to segregate themselves from a melting pot society... in other words, The Human Race. For them, the light hurts And Should.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The Nazi made poor choices at oh so many levels. Now as a civilized society what should be permitted, who makes those choices, what should the consequences and limitations be? What prevents you from becoming "those people" some day if trends shift in what's acceptable.

Please note that I have no sympathy for this man whatsoever. I just wonder about the larger picture and how things change over time. Meh, I'm probably not making sense to you.

I'm all about bringing back shame to society and forcing those shameful people into the darkness.

Unless you think they can be forced to go through some sort of mental health program until they change their beliefs, I'm not sure what other options there are.

I certainly don't think hate, discrimination, and assault of others should be normalized or accepted in an advanced society.

If you feel hugging a Nazi is a better option...well, you better get hugging.

Reactions: Younigue

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017

LOL. How very condescending.

You make sense (not to me of course) but I won't change my mind about Nazi's or any group of people who believe in segregating society by any means.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I'm all about bringing back shame to society and forcing those shameful people into the darkness.

Unless you think they can be forced to go through some sort of mental health program until they change their beliefs, I'm not sure what other options there are.

I certainly don't think hate, discrimination, and assault of others should be normalized or accepted in an advanced society.

If you feel hugging a Nazi is a better option...well, you better get hugging.

Perhaps you think a rope might be the answer? Better get hanging then. As for me I have no desire to hug it out. Shame? Sure. Accepted? No. Normalized? Of course.

With that out of the way, job termination? Prison? Maybe Gitmo? That rope? What limits then or should there be none?

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017

You make sense (not to me of course) but I won't change my mind about Nazi's or any group of people who believe in segregating society by any means.
also... The very freedom they want for themselves they would deprive others of. They don't only separate themselves by color but by superiority. Nah, shutting down Nazi's is just necessary. Its different from the freedoms you're talking about. The line is not so thin as to be wiped out by the complete intolerance of supremacists.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Perhaps you think a rope might be the answer? Better get hanging then. As for me I have no desire to hug it out. Shame? Sure. Accepted? No. Normalized? Of course.

With that out of the way, job termination? Prison? Maybe Gitmo? That rope? What limits then or should there be none?
Huh? No, just a life difficult to navigate whilst carrying hate around like a badge of honor.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

I was treating you as an adult. If I wished to be condescending there would be no question whatsoever and I wasn't asking you to accept Nazis. I was hoping that as one of the more rational people I've dealt with here you would think about what limits ought to be on things we find disgusting and about dealing with them. Your opinion is understandable, perhaps even correct, but as you are not a child neither am I.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
I was treating you as an adult. If I wished to be condescending there would be no question whatsoever and I wasn't asking you to accept Nazis. I was hoping that as one of the more rational people I've dealt with here you would think about what limits ought to be on things we find disgusting and about dealing with them. Your opinion is understandable, perhaps even correct, but as you are not a child neither am I.
There is nothing wrong with calling out condescension when it is present. You suggested I would likely be incapable of understanding your meaning. It wasn't necessary. It truly is as simple as that. I'm not angry about it, I even laughed.

I do understand what you are saying and I am a person that prefers peaceful resolution in most situations but in this... Tough love and/or complete intolerance is one of the biggest solutions/tools society has available to it.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016

So you're shilling for Nazis today? I guess there aren't any threads with confederates so Nazis are your new best friend? We should tolerate all kinds of intolerance, am I right?

I wonder if you are even aware of what a blatant shill for racism you are in nearly every post you make. If there is a confederate or a racist or somebody killing koreans or muslims, you're sure to be in their arguing that we should tolerate that kind of behavior. I never thought you would be so unscrupulous as to fall into making excuses for Nazis. That, I thought would be too blatant. I guess because this guy isn't a real german Nazi, you think you can claim your sympathy for him is only due to his status as a fellow american?

Sorry, but you're not fooling nearly as many people as you think.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

I think shaming is enough. If the company they work for doesn't want to be apart of that shame and fires them then I'm ok with that. Your slippery slope contention is foolish. Americans don't go to jail for their views so I'm not even sure why you'd offer those up.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
If his views aren't openly expressed in his workplace or impact how he does his job in any way this seems a bit much to me. He and his views are repugnant but that's a fact of life. Threatening his employer etc... does nothing useful.

Yeah, here's the deal... If you make it known to the world that you are a supporter of ideas that are horrid to every sane human being, like a paedophile advocate, a Nazi or an ISIS cheerleader you will have to deal with the consequences of that.

Being unusually disgusting should come with a price and it does, there is nothing strange about this.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017

"We're not repeating anything and America is far less racist today than it has ever been." Now that is some grade A bullshit you are spewing right there.

It's far worse today than it was in the 1990's and it's going in the wrong direction, mainly because there is support for racism from the president down these days.

You know... Nazis, some of them are fine people... So says the president of 'murica while tweeting fake videos from a Nazi organization known as Britain First.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Wasn't very wise of him to put his real name out there for the article. This is exactly the kind of public action that we ought to have the right to employ. Personally, unless I saw evidence of how his views affected his work, I wouldn't protest or avoid patronage of the restaurant. If I owned the restaurant, though, and people complained, absolutely I would can him.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
There is nothing wrong with calling out condescension when it is present. You suggested I would likely be incapable of understanding your meaning. It wasn't necessary. It truly is as simple as that. I'm not angry about it, I even laughed.

I do understand what you are saying and I am a person that prefers peaceful resolution in most situations but in this... Tough love and/or complete intolerance is one of the biggest solutions/tools society has available to it.

What you assumed was me thinking you wouldn't understand was me thinking I wasn't expressing myself well enough. Sometimes I'm not sure I'm getting my point across properly.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I think shaming is enough. If the company they work for doesn't want to be apart of that shame and fires them then I'm ok with that. Your slippery slope contention is foolish. Americans don't go to jail for their views so I'm not even sure why you'd offer those up.

That's fair enough.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
So you're shilling for Nazis today? I guess there aren't any threads with confederates so Nazis are your new best friend? We should tolerate all kinds of intolerance, am I right?

I wonder if you are even aware of what a blatant shill for racism you are in nearly every post you make. If there is a confederate or a racist or somebody killing koreans or muslims, you're sure to be in their arguing that we should tolerate that kind of behavior. I never thought you would be so unscrupulous as to fall into making excuses for Nazis. That, I thought would be too blatant. I guess because this guy isn't a real german Nazi, you think you can claim your sympathy for him is only due to his status as a fellow american?

Sorry, but you're not fooling nearly as many people as you think.

I understand you are full of self-hate and are looking to vilify others in order to make yourself look better in your own eyes. You know this before you post because as usual I will challenge you to back up your outlandish claims. At that point "I won't waste my time" will erupt from your keyboard, signaling utter failure on your part. Of course you can always prove yourself as superior as you wish to appear and find something like my wanting Muslims killed. Well the majority of those are people who want to go about their lives and not be involved in global drama. They've been a ball kicked around for a very long time by us and others. My posting history is available for anyone, not just you, to examine.

You fail again and I pity your hate and insecurity requiring you to tear down to make yourself feel taller.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

The answer to your rhetorical question is pretty easy, actually. Prison, no, because the 1A says no government censorship of speech. Gitmo, same. Hanging. It's called murder and is illegal. Refusing to frequent a business who employs a known Nazi? Perfectly legal. Firing someone because his extremist views are damaging your business? Also perfectly legal.There is no slippery slope here as your questions imply because we have a constitutional and legal framework in place which tells us how we can and cannot respond to hateful and offensive speech.

The 1A was never intended to make offensive speech free of any consequence. With free speech comes responsibility, which means accepting the consequences of your own behavior and choices. He wants to be a Nazi and openly state those views, fine. He won't be put in jail and he won't be killed for it. But he shouldn't expect there to be no consequences. The good of being free from government censorship outweighs the bad of offensive speech, but the offensive speech is still bad and should be treated accordingly.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
What you assumed was me thinking you wouldn't understand was me thinking I wasn't expressing myself well enough. Sometimes I'm not sure I'm getting my point across properly.

I considered that option. I also consider you to be a well spoken person. In this, your turn of words gave the impression of condescension. I stand corrected.

However, do you see that you could have left off "to you" in "Meh, I'm probably not making sense to you." Regardless, moving on.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I considered that option. I also consider you to be a well spoken person. In this, your turn of words gave the impression of condescension. I stand corrected.

However, do you see that you could have left off "to you" in "Meh, I'm probably not making sense to you." Regardless, moving on.
I understand your point and likewise moving on :)

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I'm curious, if I were to search your posts, how many will I find where you were complaining about Muslim civilians being killed on behalf of the war on terror?

Good point. Which is more likely to turn someone into a terrorist: having your family killed in a drone strike, or losing some crappy part time job?