Ebay Etiquette?

pkilway01

Jul 5, 2007
Ok, recently sold something on Ebay.

I sold three tickets for an Amusement Park admission on a specific date, which was clearly listed in the Ebay posting. So these are time sensitive - I needed to sell them and get them to the bidder before the date of the ticket.

Had one bidder, the winner, but 4-6 others that emailed me asking questions about the tickets (so there was soem interest).

Ebay auction closed. I immediately emailed the winner to notify them that they won and ask for payment so I could overnight the tickets to them ASAP.

Now, I just got a reply from the winner saying they purchased them by mistake. They thought the tickets I was selling was for a different day and would I mind if they back out.

I know DIY, Anandtech and other forums have very specific etiquette about transactions on their forums. But what's the Ebay Etiquette? Should I make this person pay? I can't sell the tickets now, there's no way to get a new Auction listed and get these tickets sold and to the new winner before the date of the tickets.

Any and all advice appreciated.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: pkilway01

I sold three tickets for an Amusement Park admission on a specific date, which was clearly listed in the Ebay posting. So these are time sensitive - I needed to sell them and get them to the bidder before the date of the ticket.

Had one bidder, the winner, but 4-6 others that emailed me asking questions about the tickets (so there was soem interest).

Ebay auction closed. I immediately emailed the winner to notify them that they won and ask for payment so I could overnight the tickets to them ASAP.

Now, I just got a reply from the winner saying she pruchased them by mistake. She thought the tickets I was selling was for a different day and would I mind if she backs out.

I know DIY, Anandtech and other forums have very specific etiquette about transactions on their forums. But what's the Ebay Etiquette? Should I make this person pay? I can't sell the tickets now, there's no way to get a new Auction listed and get these tickets sold and to the new winner before the date of the tickets.

make her pay? bwahhahahah good luck on that. haha.

only thing you can do is take her to small claims court and giver her a negitive feedback.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Best option is to hit her with a nonpaying bidder thing and try to sell on craigslist for cash.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
contact the next highest bidder and see if they still want them.

other than that, you're pretty much screwed

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
contact the next highest bidder and see if they still want them.

other than that, you're pretty much screwed

yeap or as savij said creiglist it.

otherwise he is screwed. heh force her to pay heh lol

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Let her know very clearly that you will file a non-paying bidder complaint if she does not complete the purchase.

By backing out on time-sensitive tickets she is effectively reducing your ability to sell the tickets (I'm assuming that the date is approaching and that re-listing them would mean that you may have a bit of a time crunch for shipping). Besides, E-Bay has warnings posted everywhere that by bidding you are entering into a contract agreeing to pay for the item if you are the highest bidder. It's not your fault she can't read.

Can we have a link to the auction, just to see how obvious the date was?

ZV

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Let her know very clearly that you will file a non-paying bidder complaint if she does not complete the purchase.

By backing out on time-sensitive tickets she is effectively reducing your ability to sell the tickets (I'm assuming that the date is approaching and that re-listing them would mean that you may have a bit of a time crunch for shipping). Besides, E-Bay has warnings posted everywhere that by bidding you are entering into a contract agreeing to pay for the item if you are the highest bidder. It's not your fault she can't read.

ZV

I don't think that ebay "contract" really means squat, does it? has there been any precedent set with it?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

ZV

yeah. but if he really expects to "force her to pay" he is insane. ebay does not care, enither does paypall.

he might have a chance if sues her.

as we said. put a NPB and neg her (be ready for one back) and move on and learn.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex

ZV

I don't think that ebay "contract" really means squat, does it? has there been any precedent set with it?

sure why not? you agreed to buy something for a set price. but i would think its more trouble then its worth to fight.

i think wiht Small claims you have to file in the state/county the person you are suing lives in.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I wish Ebay was set up to automatically pay as soon as an auction closed. Then, maybe people would actually read what they are bidding on ...

Henrythewound

Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
I wish Ebay was set up to automatically pay as soon as an auction closed. Then, maybe people would actually read what they are bidding on ...

Some auctions have the "immediate payment required" text on them. I don't know who you have to be to get that option but I'm sure those greedy eBay jerks make you pay an additional fee to have it.

I would make her pay unless you can sell to the next highest bidder. And after I sold to the next highest bidder I would leave her neg feedback and pressure her to pay my fees for her stupidity

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
She was the only bidder, so he can't sell them to the other bidder.

I'd tell her if she doesn't fulfill her end of the agreement, you'll slap her with an NPB and a negative feedback.

Or, if you're willing to be nice, tell her she can get out of paying or the NPB/neg by paypalling you the ebay/paypal fees.

pkilway01

Jul 5, 2007
My email response to her (which I haven't sent yet):

----------------------

Unfortunately, there is very little I can do to sell these tickets now. It's too close to the event date to post a new auction. The correct date was posted twice in my auction.

Per Ebay, here's the retract bid process, http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy...tions/retract-bid.html There were options to correct your bid before the auction ended, including notifying the seller, me.

I can't make you pay for the tickets, but I will be leaving you negative feedback and filing a non-paying bidder complaint with Ebay.

------------------------

Good? I know some will say to include "you stupid ^*(^&*(" but trying to sound all professional and stuff.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
My email response to her (which I haven't sent yet):

----------------------

Unfortunately, there is very little I can do to sell these tickets now. It's too close to the event date to post a new auction. The correct date was posted twice in my auction.

Per Ebay, here's the retract bid process, http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy...tions/retract-bid.html There were options to correct your bid before the auction ended, including notifying the seller, me.

I can't make you pay for the tickets, but I will be leaving you negative feedback and filing a non-paying bidder complaint with Ebay.

------------------------

Good? I know some will say to include "you stupid ^*(^&*(" but trying to sound all professional and stuff.

Wrong.

It should say the following, more or less:

These were time sensitive tickets and HAD to be sold that day. By placing a bid on the tickets, and not paying, they are now worthless to me. You entered into a binding agreement when you purchased these tickets. You had 2 chances to review your bid. If this was an item or something, maybe we could've worked something out. But if you don't buy these tickets, I'm out xxxx. You need to pay me xxxx or I will be forced to take every necessary action available to me, including a non paying bidder report and negative feedback.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Ok, sent the email and they sent me the amount in full.

So should I feel guilty?

No. Send them the tickets. If they go then they go, if not then too fucking bad.

pkilway01

Jul 5, 2007
Their response:

-----------------------------

If I didn't bid on your tickets, you would have not sold
them, I was the only bidder! Whatever! Just not to get a negative
feedback - I already paid.

------------------------------

So now should I feel bad for her stupidity AND is she really acting like the "bigger person" by the tone of her email?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Ok, sent the email and they sent me the amount in full.

So should I feel guilty?

hell no.

send them the tickets like you said you would. and go buy some damn lotto tickets.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Their response:

So now should I feel bad for her stupidity AND is she really acting like the "bigger person" by the tone of her email?

If you want to keep it going "I guess we'll never know since you chose to bid on it. I have sent your tickets, I hope you get a chance to use them. Sorry things had to end on such a sour note."

Remember, it was her loss or yours. And it's ALOT better that it's hers ;)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

Now, I just got a reply from the winner saying they purchased them by mistake. They thought the tickets I was selling was for a different day and would I mind if they back out.

Your post contains a logic error. An assumption was made that you have the capability to force them to pay. This assumption is incorrect.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Their response:

Wait 90 days and leave a negative anyway. Even if she paid in the end, she's not someone I'd want to deal with on eBay. Make sure you follow all of Paypal's requirements to prevent her from reversing the charge later.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Their response:

Wait 90 days and leave a negative anyway. Even if she paid in the end, she's not someone I'd want to deal with on eBay. Make sure you follow all of Paypal's requirements to prevent her from reversing the charge later.

Eh. I'd still leave a positive. Why leave a neg? She paid.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Their response:

She can spin it any way she pleases in her own mind, she was the only party failing to satisfy their obligation. I would thank her for finally accepting and meeting her legal responsibility.