Eating junk food vs healthy foods in relation to calories consumed

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I was wondering if someone can still get fat if they eat mostly junk food (fast food and desserts) but still be on a calorie deficit. I know it's not a healthy way to eat but that's not what I'm asking. If you consume more calories than you burn I know you gain weight but this question does not pertain to that. If this person is skinny to begin with will he still be skinny but gain fat in the belly and love handles if he eats that way, therefore gaining fat but not gaining weight? Also I know that most people that gain fat, gain weight all over, therefore looking bigger all over. To get bigger all over do you need to eat excessive calories but from healthy foods? If a person mainly eats excess calories but mostly from junk foods, will the person just gain a fatter belly and love handles but still be skinny everywhere else if the person was skinny to begin with? In essence I want to know if the healthiness of foods in a high calorie diet plays a factor in how someone will look as they gain weight or if where a person gains weight is all genetic?

Reactions: Chaspowr3

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
In terms of weight, calories are calories. However, junk food tends to be high in sodium\sugar and lack vitamins and trace minerals found in healthier choices which leads to other health issues.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
If two identical people consume 500 excessive calories a day but one person just eats fast food, regular soda, and candy mostly and the other person eats mainly grilled chicken breasts, fish, steaks, mashed potatoes, oats, whole milk, vegetables, no sugary foods, and no regular sodas, will they still both look the same as they gain the same amount of weight or will the one eating the healthier foods look stronger? Let's assume that they don't lift weights.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Individual variation has a lot to do with where your fat accumulates, for most males it is preferentially on the gut, and what you eat won't really influence where it goes.

You can gain or lose weight on your just about any food if you are in constant surplus or deficit of calories. There was a guy who ate nothing but McDonalds, lost weight and improved all his blood markers.

But:

Junk food makes it a lot easier to be in surplus and harder to be in deficit.

Healthy food makes it easier to be deficit, and harder to be in surplus.

Healthy food is also better for long term health, providing proper nutrients, defending the health of your arteries, heart, brain, reducing chance of cancer, etc...

Also beware the argument that "Fad Diet X" improved health markers. Refer to the McDonalds diet above. Losing weight in any way tends to improve some blood markers/BP etc, so this kind of improvement is not a sign that "Fad diet X" is healthy long term.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
There is some variability in calories in vs calories out based on the food you eat, but generally if you keep calories below what you expend you will lose weight.. Note it is possible to loose muscle before losing fat thus eating just junk food will have a negative impact on all parts of your body because you won't get the needed macro nutrients.

Reactions: highland145

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Note it is possible to loose muscle before losing fat thus eating just junk food will have a negative impact on all parts of your body because you won't get the needed macro nutrients.

No. We didn't evolve for millions of years with a stupid system that catabolizes muscle before fat. You will always (unless you use vitamin S) lose some lean mass when losing fat. Most ratios are 4:1 (4 pounds of fat to 1 pound of lean mass) or 5:1. Whether you lose weight fast or slow, that ratio tends to hold true. Anecdotally, it held true for me whether I did it the proper "Body Building Way" (Slow at .5 lb per week) or super fast (3 pounds per week). In both cases after a prolonged diet (84 days), my overall body composition was the same after a refeed and waiting about 1 week.

I think people pretty much forget what fat is and what it is for. It is "storage" plain and simple and your body is NOT stupid. It isn't going to say "Hey, lets eat up all this lean mass and "SAVE" this huge reservoir of fat". No, fat is a fuel that is constantly at work.

Additionally, it is pretty damn hard to lose lean mass. You can certainly lose it, but it is difficult. Stop lifting, starve yourself to 5% body fat, stay there for a few weeks extra, don't touch a weight again, and then shoot right back up to 20% BF. Yeah, you will be a different person. The Minnesota starvation study showed that true muscle loss (more than 4:1) did not occur in these men UNTIL they essentially depleted their fat reserves (entered true starvation, estimates were in the range of 5% before they starting losing lean mass at a much greater rate).

Whether you are an evolutionist or a creationist, believing the body will burn muscle before fat is pretty stupid, I think if you rational approach the topic without all the misinformation and hysteria.

Also measuring muscle loss can be extremely inaccurate, depending on glycogen levels. the only way to truly know (which I have done with self study) is to diet two different ways (clean foods, vs junk foods) and then refueling back up and then take measurements. This gives the body time to restore homeostasis and weight and will give you a true idea of what you actually lost (using calipers). Even though, though, this isn't precise, but is much better than when people test immediately after a keto diet and notice a huge loss is muscle (6-10 pounds of water will be gained back after returning to a normal diet, mainly of glycogen and retained water). This is when you measure, not when depleted, as that misreports muscle loss. It takes a pretty solid refeed if you been low carbing or even just a low caloric intake for a while to return to what I would call "normal" glycogen levels and I don't believe most published studies take this into account.

Junk food is bad because it has additives and man-made stuff, is caloric dense, and is crafted to make you want to overeat it! So, it will most definitely be harder to diet with it... But it is possible. Read the twinkie diet experiment by a guy - should be somewhere on the net.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaspowr3

BarneyBunch

Jul 3, 2018
As others have said, it's all about counting calories when it comes to weight loss. If you eat junk food then you will reach your calorie limit in a shorter amount of time and you won't get as many nutrients that your body needs. There was a nutrition professor a few years back who was able to lose weight eating only twinkies. While it's possible to lose weight by only eating junk food, I don't think anybody would ever recommend it.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
If you can stick to the calorie deficit you would still lose weight. It would be really hard though. You'd probably be voraciously hungry most of the time.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Caloric deficit can be as little as 50 to 200 kcal. per day, not really something that will make you voracious. That'll be enough to drop a pound or so per week.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Eating bad calories that tends to low nutrients and consuming very much can negatively affect health. Calories quality that you eat matters a lot. Healthy food helps you maintaining weight and keeps you healthy.

The key issue here is not just low calories but insulin resistance. Excess insulin causes hunger and spikes sugar. Refined bad sugars is the real enemy here. Fiber and sugar from fruits with high fiber is not so bad as compared to eating a donut or chocolate chip cookie.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

HarryWalker

Banned
Apr 2, 2021
There is a lot of talk about this. It all depends on many factors - the quality of nutrition, genetics - there are people who are inclined to be overweight and vice versa. It is clear that fast food has a lot of calories, sugar and various food additives. The quality of food affects our lives. Also influences from sports like crossfit and powerlifting, good for losing weight.

Reactions: Minimi14

Minimi14

Banned
Apr 4, 2021
I agree, recently, our food has been filled with various chemical additives, Genetically modified food and then people complain about their health.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Athletes are an example of guzzling down junk food and not getting fat while playing their sport. This is particularly true of hockey. .

Weight in it itself does not indicate wellness health in all instances. In instances of extremes, it is suffficient. But there is a grey area where someone looks normal but are fucking themselves over tenfold; bulimics are one such example, with Karen Carpenter's death being a shocking lesson.
In particular, the sugar heavy diet is likely to help cause diabetes and tooth decay even if you manage weight.

Weight, within the range where it is an ambiguous indicator of healthy, it more likely to cause psychological damage and is often utilized as weapon, especially amongst females.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I was in that boat in my early 20's. I was skinny as hell and could not gain weight. I was eating McDonald's, poutine, pizza, nachos etc multiple times a week. Several hot chocolates per day as well and just overall tons of carbs and sugar and fat along with the occasional normal healthy meal. I was basically just stuffing my mouth with junk as it was the easiest/cheapest but no matter what I just could not gain weight.

Probably not the healthiest way to try to gain weight though, but it was just the easiest calories. Still did not help though.

What ultimately helped me was joining the gym, which sounds counter intuitive, but by gaining muscle it help make me at least look less scrawny, but also gave me a bigger appetite. Though I was eating quite a lot even before... so I don't really know what the science is really, but it seems that it helped regulate my metabolism better or something. I only really did it for a few years then stopped mostly due to cost, and laziness (having to actually go to it), but still work out on and off at home now that I have a half decent setup.

Now that I'm in my 30's I find things are way more stable now weight wise. I tend to hover between 140-150 or so but I don't struggle as much to keep my weight.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I was in that boat in my early 20's. I was skinny as hell and could not gain weight. I was eating McDonald's, poutine, pizza, nachos etc multiple times a week. Several hot chocolates per day as well and just overall tons of carbs and sugar and fat along with the occasional normal healthy meal. I was basically just stuffing my mouth with junk as it was the easiest/cheapest but no matter what I just could not gain weight.

Probably not the healthiest way to try to gain weight though, but it was just the easiest calories. Still did not help though.

What ultimately helped me was joining the gym, which sounds counter intuitive, but by gaining muscle it help make me at least look less scrawny, but also gave me a bigger appetite. Though I was eating quite a lot even before... so I don't really know what the science is really, but it seems that it helped regulate my metabolism better or something. I only really did it for a few years then stopped mostly due to cost, and laziness (having to actually go to it), but still work out on and off at home now that I have a half decent setup.

Now that I'm in my 30's I find things are way more stable now weight wise. I tend to hover between 140-150 or so but I don't struggle as much to keep my weight.

How tall are you? I am 5 foot 7 and I hated how I looked at 155 pounds. Too scrawney looking even when I was exercising.

Not sure what weight I want to settle for. Maybe 170 but working out as well and build some muscle?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
How tall are you? I am 5 foot 7 and I hated how I looked at 155 pounds. Too scrawney looking even when I was exercising.

Not sure what weight I want to settle for. Maybe 170 but working out as well and build some muscle?

I'm 5'6" I was like 110 lbs when I was trying to gain. I tend to hover around 140-155 now days. 150 is where I'm at now. Working from home means I have access to more snacks. :p

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I'm 5'6" I was like 110 lbs when I was trying to gain. I tend to hover around 140-155 now days. 150 is where I'm at now. Working from home means I have access to more snacks. :p

You are lucky that you don't gain much weight. I used to be like you until I hit my 30's. I have to only eat two meals a day now and fast for 18 hours a day. NO snacks between meals either. I am always hungry and crave many things. I only drink water as well.

I wish I had your metabolism now:(

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You are lucky that you don't gain much weight. I used to be like you until I hit my 30's. I have to only eat two meals a day now and fast for 18 hours a day. NO snacks between meals either. I am always hungry and crave many things. I only drink water as well.

I wish I had your metabolism now:(

TBH I tend to only eat one meal a day, partially because I'm kinda lazy and hate cooking/prepping food, but also because I don't tend to be that hungry anyway so that helps. That's probably my secret lol. I don't think it's the healthiest thing though... they say you should eat like 7 small meals per day, but I sure as hell don't have the time or will power for that lol. That's a crazy amount of meal prepping to do and have to do it constantly.

I'm kinda bad for snacking though. I'll have lunch, then around supper time I'll snack instead of making a real meal. But I don't do it all the time either, it's kind of in moderation. I'm 34 so I probably do need to start watching myself more before it creeps up on me.

They keep opening new poutine places here though, that's not helping me!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
TBH I tend to only eat one meal a day, partially because I'm kinda lazy and hate cooking/prepping food, but also because I don't tend to be that hungry anyway so that helps. That's probably my secret lol. I don't think it's the healthiest thing though... they say you should eat like 7 small meals per day, but I sure as hell don't have the time or will power for that lol. That's a crazy amount of meal prepping to do and have to do it constantly.

I'm kinda bad for snacking though. I'll have lunch, then around supper time I'll snack instead of making a real meal. But I don't do it all the time either, it's kind of in moderation. I'm 34 so I probably do need to start watching myself more before it creeps up on me.

They keep opening new poutine places here though, that's not helping me!

If it's eating for your teeth, then the fewer the better.

Due to recent personal events, I've come to the belief that the best diet is the one least stressful on teeth unless your job requires something different(i.e athletics). It's in no small part from wanting to save money. One day, I might be able to go toothpaste free yet not require a dentist.

Chaspowr3

May 19, 2021
If two identical people consume 500 excessive calories a day but one person just eats fast food, regular soda, and candy mostly and the other person eats mainly grilled chicken breasts, fish, steaks, mashed potatoes, oats, whole milk, vegetables, no sugary foods, and no regular sodas, will they still both look the same as they gain the same amount of weight or will the one eating the healthier foods look stronger? Let's assume that they don't lift weights.
Clearly, the healthy foods you are mentioning are high in protein, fibers, vitamins, and minerals. Grilled chicken, fish are excellent sources of lean protein. Milk has complex proteins and is high in vitamins and minerals. Oats are high in protein and fiber and helps improve metabolism.
On the other hand, soda is carbonated water that tends to bloat one. Candies are high in sugar and other junk food high in unhealthy fat and sodium. Definitely, there would be hormonal changes and imbalances that would adversely affect the body.

The person with a healthier diet has better physical health than the one with a bad diet. But one has to do some physical activity to stay in decent shape irrespective of their diets.

Last edited:

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Clearly, the healthy foods you are mentioning are high in protein, fibers, vitamins, and minerals. Grilled chicken, fish are excellent sources of lean protein. Milk has complex proteins and is high in vitamins and minerals. Oats are high in protein and fiber and helps improve metabolism.
On the other hand, soda is carbonated water that tends to bloat one. Candies are high in sugar and other junk food high in unhealthy fat and sodium. Definitely, there would be hormonal changes and imbalances that would adversely affect the body.

The person with a healthier diet has better physical health than the one with a bad diet. But one has to do some physical activity to stay in decent shape irrespective of their diets.
The human body does not need milk. Many other sources and vitamins like seven seas cod liver oil that have Vitamin A and D in it. One of the best things for my skin and body was to cut out dairy or severely limit it to some cheese now and then.
I drink NO MILK in any form today. However, some cheese put on salads now and then.

I don't even eat oats either. I skip breakfast and fast for 18 or more hours a day. Just drink flavored water or plain water as well.

Chaspowr3

May 19, 2021
The human body does not need milk. Many other sources and vitamins like seven seas cod liver oil that have Vitamin A and D in it. One of the best things for my skin and body was to cut out dairy or severely limit it to some cheese now and then.
I drink NO MILK in any form today. However, some cheese put on salads now and then.

I don't even eat oats either. I skip breakfast and fast for 18 or more hours a day. Just drink flavored water or plain water as well.

That is some diet routine. You must have been into this for some time now. However, I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, they might find it drastic and overwhelming.

GrowlikePro

Jun 14, 2021
That is some diet routine. You must have been into this for some time now. However, I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, they might find it drastic and overwhelming.
Yeah, agreed! Even I don't recommend a beginner to lose fat by fasting as it is not suitable for everyone, for some people starving comes out to give them major health problems.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
No contest. Junk food is mostly empty calories. Where is the fiber, vitamins, minerals, and life force? It's fake food. Even the so-called healthy options. Eating a salad for example isn so much more than calorie intake. There are vitamins and minerals who are woring in conjunction. It promotes healthy gut bacteria which in-turn will keep your body in balance and healthy. What science is finding is our gut is where many of our serious health issues like cancer start. Its in our gut. Try eating just junk food for 20 years and get back to us. It won't be pretty.

BTW, this is why our country is going thru so many health issues, and it's going to only get worse. I see so many young kids who are obese. They haven't touched a vegetable in years, and the only fruit they consume is the occasional apple or banana. Our schools, parents and marketers are to blame. Wait until these 16 year old become 40 year olds. It's not going to be pretty. If you eat nothing but junk food say hello to eary cancer, type2 diabetes, and heart issues. This is the dilemma that we as a country will face in the near future.