Easiest way of migrating everything from old iphone 4S/5 to Iphone 6+?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Music files don't get backed up, and when you restore, they don't re-transfer automatically (or maybe they do if you actually have them on the system, I didn't at the time.)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
ITunes backup and restore never worked correctly for me. There's an app called Bookcube my wife uses and iTunes backup doesn't work correctly with it. My wife has to redownload all her books after any restore. That takes hours. It doesn't save and restore her purchases.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
iTunes.

Yeah yeah, you hate iTunes. You're so edgy.

I hate Windows and Excel. Guess what I still use every day? Windows and Excel. Why? They're the right tool for the job.

QFT...I have an iPOD that I don't use iTunes for. I use iTunes for my phone syncing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
so just to clarify, because i'm going to be doing tihs tomorrow hopefully and have never done this....

i have an ip4. right now in itunes i just did a full backup and it's going now.

when i get my new phone tomorrow, during the initial setup it will ask me if i want to restore from a backup, and i just select that, then do it all through itunes? i'm guessing it will be pretty obvious once i do it.

and to be clear, this will migrate all of my contacts, pictures, apps (as well as my saved settings in said apps and my game highscores and stuff), and even though my current ip4 is on ios 6.1, the new ip6+ will have ios 8 on it, and all of this stuff will migrate over without a hitch?

that is how simple it is?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Yes, it's that simple but:

1) Do another backup tomorrow, so you have the latest texts and what not.
2) Make a separate backup of your photos and videos just in case. Secondary backups are always a good idea. Should take about 5-10 minutes to download.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yes, it's that simple but:

1) Do another backup tomorrow, so you have the latest texts and what not.
2) Make a separate backup of your photos and videos just in case. Secondary backups are always a good idea. Should take about 5-10 minutes to download.

i backed up the pics like 2-3 weeks ago and have nothing new that i care about so that will be okay.

and it'll be okay if i miss some stuff from tomorrow like a text or two. i don't use my phone much especially during the day. i just figure when i get the ip6+ i'll want to get it up and running and not wait while it backs up.

i just didn't realize it was that simple, that is pretty nice.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I always used iCloud. It's pretty easy... you just pick the correct file to restore from.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
so uh ... yeah, the method of backing up and restoring did not work for apps.

everything else came over like pics and stuff, but none of the apps are working. i am having issues with my itunes password, so maybe that is why they didn't show up?

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
The main issue you might have with an iCloud backup/restore are your photos/videos.

Connect your phone to your computer. Copy off your pictures/videos and delete them from your phone. Do an iCloud backup. Do a restore from iCLoud to the new phone.

This won't move your pictures over though.

But, hey, has anyone mentioned iTunes yet?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The main issue you might have with an iCloud backup/restore are your photos/videos.

Connect your phone to your computer. Copy off your pictures/videos and delete them from your phone. Do an iCloud backup. Do a restore from iCLoud to the new phone.

This won't move your pictures over though.

But, hey, has anyone mentioned iTunes yet?

i dont even have an icloud account and have never used it.

i backed up my ip4 doing the "backup phone" option in itunes.

then when setting up my new phone, i restored it from that backup.

all pics, contacts, txt messages, etc, came over. but my apps did not come over.

it also had my email account on here, but i had to redo it because it wasn't pulling my emails in. deleting then recreating the account fixed it though.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
i dont even have an icloud account and have never used it.

i backed up my ip4 doing the "backup phone" option in itunes.

then when setting up my new phone, i restored it from that backup.

all pics, contacts, txt messages, etc, came over. but my apps did not come over.

it also had my email account on here, but i had to redo it because it wasn't pulling my emails in. deleting then recreating the account fixed it though.

Did you tell it to back up your apps when it asked?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
herp derp. pebcak.

i just plugged it back into my computer and now it appears to be syncing all the apps from my old phone. i just figured it would automatically copy them all over when doing the system restore.

and once the system restore was done, it was still in setup mode so itunes wasn't doing anything with it at that time.

i just hope all my highscores and settings and shit are still on there when everything is moved over, i just got to level 200 on candy crush earlier today when taking a shit!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
so after recreating my gmail (and deleting my one that wasn't working) i realized that my contacts were all gone.

so i restored again.

and now after a restore, my gmail isn't working again. like i can't send messages and it just says there is an error, and it can't pull down my email either.

but if i just create a new email account with my normal gmail account on here, it will work fine that way.

anyone know wtf is up with this?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've had issues doing backups. I did a phone to phone transfer today. I backed up to iTunes via USB, and said yes to backing up the apps as well. None of the apps transferred over, so we had to download them all again.

DiskAid just got rebranded to iMazing:

http://imazing.com/download

More iCloud integration & includes an easy transfer to iPhone 6 feature:

http://imazing.com/features/ios-backup-restore

Screw iTunes. What a pile of garbage.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
so after recreating my gmail (and deleting my one that wasn't working) i realized that my contacts were all gone.

so i restored again.

and now after a restore, my gmail isn't working again. like i can't send messages and it just says there is an error, and it can't pull down my email either.

but if i just create a new email account with my normal gmail account on here, it will work fine that way.

anyone know wtf is up with this?

Yeah, I've had similar issues with various things like that. It's like the transfer for that portion gets corrupted & won't work without a fresh setup, which is annoying because it's not consistent across apps or services.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I always used iCloud. It's pretty easy... you just pick the correct file to restore from.

Until it doesn't work. Moving from DP of iOS8 to the released version, I had some settings that persisted in a bad state (for example, search suggestions in Safari broke for me during the DPs sometime. Moving to release didn't fix it. Neither did resetting all settings on the phone. When I went to do an icloud restore....the restore points were all corrupt.

I just said to hell with it and wiped the phone and started fresh. I had THANKFULLY turned on iCloud drive and all but the photos I took in September synced back down fine. I probably had on the order of 10k or more texts still in the phone too, so it was good to clean things out.

Going forward, I'm doing monthly iTunes backups. I just don't trust iCloud anymore.