Easiest way of migrating everything from old iphone 4S/5 to Iphone 6+?

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Ordering two iPhone 6+ on Friday.

I hate itunes, I don't even have it installed.

How does one transfer all contacts, pictures, music, and etc. over to iphone 6 smoothly?

Thank you.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Ordering two iPhone 6+ on Friday.

I hate itunes, I don't even have it installed.

How does one transfer all contacts, pictures, music, and etc. over to iphone 6 smoothly?

Thank you.
iTunes.

Feb 25, 2011
iTunes.

Yeah yeah, you hate iTunes. You're so edgy.

I hate Windows and Excel. Guess what I still use every day? Windows and Excel. Why? They're the right tool for the job.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Did anyone mention iTunes for backing up and restoring your iPhones? I heard it's a simple pain free process.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Did anyone mention iTunes for backing up and restoring your iPhones? I heard it's a simple pain free process.

You know what, I don't think they did. Good call.

OP, use iTunes. You'll only have to use it this once, but the wired backup really is the way to go for this sort of thing.

phreaqe

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2004

um no. i have never had a backup and restore to a new phone with itunes be a simple and painfree process. Every single time my apps get all screwed up and half the apps that were on the old phone don't show up on the new one. its a pain in the but and i hate it with a passion.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I just did two backup + restores from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 8. Both were pain free, on OS X Mavericks. iPhone 5s and iPad 2.

However, I hear that people who are on the Yosemite public beta had problems, since the beta version of iTunes 12 isn't set up properly for iOS 8 upgrades yet.

Dunno about Windows, but maybe not, because iOS 8 isn't officially out yet.

phreaqe

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2004
I am on windows but this has been an ongoing things. Over the years as i have upgraded phones i have never had a backup and restore work. All the settings seem to be there but my apps get all screwed up. it installs apps i had removed a long time ago, and removes apps i had on it. I always take a fresh backup right before restoring it to the new phone. I just switched to the icloud backup and i will see if that sucks less the next time i need to do it.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Stupid question. If I bump my iCloud storage up is that a yearly renewal fee?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I am on windows but this has been an ongoing things. Over the years as i have upgraded phones i have never had a backup and restore work. All the settings seem to be there but my apps get all screwed up. it installs apps i had removed a long time ago, and removes apps i had on it. I always take a fresh backup right before restoring it to the new phone. I just switched to the icloud backup and i will see if that sucks less the next time i need to do it.

The only issue I ran into last night was that I was using the Yosemite beta on my MBA to update my phone and that borked it. Other than that, it was a straight-forward process of backup > update > restore. Everything was as I left it, other than the addition of Health.app and Tips.app.

They are talking about monthly costs, so I would imagine that it's a monthly subscription fee. iTunes Match is annual, but I think the iCloud storage tiers are monthly.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
um no. i have never had a backup and restore to a new phone with itunes be a simple and painfree process. Every single time my apps get all screwed up and half the apps that were on the old phone don't show up on the new one. its a pain in the but and i hate it with a passion.

Sorry to hear that. I've never had a problem backing up and restoring iPads or iPhones (knock on wood).

I believe so. I haven't looked in detail at the iCloud TOS but usually these cloud data services have free tier and a paid tier. If you cancel the payments or decline to renew, they usually drop you back down to the free tier and your storage is reduced. Not sure what they do with your data that is above the free tier...

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
As of today, it's only 99¢ per month now to bump up to 20 GB iCloud storage.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Just did my 3rd iDevice Backup --> iOS 8 install --> Restore in iTunes. Worked perfectly for all three.

Ironically, I didn't even use iTunes 11.4 to do it, which ideally you'd use, since it's the most up to date. I just used my pre-existing iTunes 11.3.1.

So, now that makes it:

iPhone 5s
iPhone 5
iPad 2

JavaMomma

Oct 19, 2000
As of today, it's only 99¢ per month now to bump up to 20 GB iCloud storage.

iCloud pricing seems semi reasonable now, was a complete rip-off last time I looked. I wish they'd let you pay by the year like iTunes Match. Just let me pay $12 or a discount of $10 per year for 20GB.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Honestly, I've had more luck with DiskAid than anything:

http://www.digidna.net/diskaid

It has really good backup tools: (including a built-in clone tool from one device to another)

http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/features/ios-backup-restore

I've had issues with restoring both iCloud & iTunes backups. DiskAid lets you grab the IPA with all your data, so if you've made progress in games, it actually copies the whole thing over. Definitely worth the $30 imo.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
so if my current iphone (4) has never been synced with itunes, can i still make a backup of it and then restore it to the ip6?

and what all will it restore? will it restore like my saved settings and highscores on games too? or is it just the apps and contacts/numbers, etc?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
so if my current iphone (4) has never been synced with itunes, can i still make a backup of it and then restore it to the ip6?

and what all will it restore? will it restore like my saved settings and highscores on games too? or is it just the apps and contacts/numbers, etc?
EVERYTHING. However, the apps are re-loaded after the fact. When you start the backup, it saves all your photos and settings and contacts and texts, etc. It also saves to iTunes all the apps you installed on the phone (if you let it and it's not on the computer already).

Then when you restore, it loads all your photos and settings and contacts and texts, etc. and then after the restore, re-installs your apps.

However, I always make sure I have a separate backup of all the photos, calendar, and contacts, just in case. In my case, it's not an issue though for the calendar and contacts, because those are sync'd to my computer and to iCloud anyway.

It never hurts to have alternative backups. Way back when, many years ago when I installed a beta or something, I lost the photos during the restore process.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000

As others have mentioned, it is a monthly charge. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5879

That being said, if you are going to use iCloud for backup, I am not sure it would be a good idea to do it when Apple is being hit with so many new phone purchases and iOS8 upgraders. I simply would not trust them to keep the system stable and have all the bugs worked out.

I would wait on the purchase and transfer of data from your old iPhone until the server loads stabilize a bit and any major bugs are identified.

-KeithP

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013

It backs up everything. It'll be an exact copy.