Dyson vacuum: thinking of buying one

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
My parents have one and it works great. It turned my dog's dirty ass bed back to its original color.
Your dog has an assbed? Lucky him/her.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: rpl318
I have one and love it. Best vacuum I've ever owned by far.

Me too.

I actually like how the bin is emptied. I just take it outside to do it. It's self-contained so I don't have to take the whole vacuum outside to do it, unlike the Fantom I owned previously. That beast left it's innards exposed when you took the bin off so the dust would go all over the place if I did it indoors (even though dumping it outdoors.) I have dust allergies, so I like the way Dyson handles it.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Mutilator
Here we go again... another year, another month, and another damn Dyson thread. ;)

Anyway, once again I'll say skip the Dyson and buy a Hoover Fusion vaccum from Walmart. $128.

Hell, if you want to end all these threads then just buy both the yellow Dyson from Walmart and the Hoover Fusion sitting right next to it. Take them both home and vacuum 1/2 of the room with the Dyson and the other 1/2 with the Hoover. See which one really cleans better, not which one has the most hype and "prestige" of owning it. Then return the one that doesn't clean as well. Thousands of internet vacuum seeking nerds will thank you. :laugh:

I'm in the market for a vacuum right now and I've been reading reviews for about a week. The Fusion seems decent and I even handled it at the local Walmart (which, funny enough, was the ONLY vacuum that was soldout there) but one big thing keeps me from buying it. The lack of a HEPA filter.

Since we're talking about expensive vacuums here, I also am considering the Roomba route. I figure that if I'm going to spend that much money, why should I have to vacuum at all? I'm sure the higher dollar cleaners are many times better than the Roomba at picking up dirt, but if the thing runs every day, that should make up for it.

Still thinking...

Mark

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
we have a Rainbow and a Dyson (Mom bought me the rainbow).

i would never shell out for a Rainbow myself ($1500.00 vacuum). I already had the rainbow when i went to buy the Dyson.

is it a good vacuum, good enough, was it worth what i spent on it? i think so.

are there better bargains in vacuum cleaners? who knows. if you listen to the Oreck guy, his vacuum is the best bargain around, but it costs as much as a dyson and doesn't clean as well. it is however lighter and more durable than the dyson.

hence oreck is used commercially dyson isn't, does that mean that oreck is better for the home? NO, only a moron thinks something commercial is automatically better than the home version. just not true, they are designed with different strengths.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Citrix
I have read a lot of online reviews and havent found not one bad review about a Dyson. anybody here have one, if so what are your thoughts?

Those things are great. We have the "animal" version and its amazing how much dust and cat fur it picks up.

My son dumped out my cross-cut paper shreader, which basically turns paper into confetti. The vacuum picked it right up in one or two passes.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
are there better bargains in vacuum cleaners? who knows. if you listen to the Oreck guy, his vacuum is the best bargain around, but it costs as much as a dyson and doesn't clean as well. it is however lighter and more durable than the dyson.

My folks have a Oreck. Totally worthless. That little Dustbuster wannabe thing is less effective than a Dustbuster if that's possible.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dysons are very good at picking up general house dust and debris - certainly the best I've ever used.

I remember when my parents got one - we had an electrolux, which was perfectly good, but the handle had come loose and it was only a matter of time. We vacuumed the lounge very thoroughly with the electrolux immediately before we tried with the dyson.

We had to empty the dyson half way though the lounge, because it had picked up so much dust and cat fur. Unbelievable.

The thing about dysons though is that the cyclone thing isn't very efficient at picking up very fine dust particles - it's good, but very fine powders like brick or plaster dust will tend to go straight through and end up blocking the filters. Similarly, pollen and other allergens tend to go straight through the machine and get sprayed out into the air.

I have a dyson with a HEPA filter myself, and it made a noticeable difference to my hayfever.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery
Selective reading?

Nobody who's coughed up the money for one, is going to admit any misgivings. The question I have, is if they're so good, why don't cleaning companies use them? :confused: Ask someone who vacuums for a living what they use. Their opinion would hold more weight with me, than some fanbois who got sucked into some vacuum hype!

That was my parents logic when we bought a replacement vac about 4 years ago. We have two golden retreivers and figured that a Royal vac would take care of it no problem. Wow. That thing was such a pain in the ass and, for the money, it really wasn't much better than your average panasonic.

My parents decided to skip spending big bucks fixing it and went out and bought a vac from a company nobody i know has ever heard of. They spent a fortune on the thing. But, it is the best vaccum I have ever used. It picks up everything. It doesn't clog. It's easy to fix. If you suck up a cord or something by accident it doesn't chew it up. Royal can't hold a candle to this thing.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
We went with a Kenmore Progressive based on Consumer Reports... Does a much better job than the Rainbow vacuum we paid a fortune for. :thumbsup: for the CR reviews. Dyson isn't worth the money.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: electron
Dyson is a bagless, and all bagless vacuums suck when it comes time to empty it. I got the Eureka that won consumer reports best buy a couple of years back, and I love it.

TheBoss
SmartVac
:thumbsup:

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
I got the Dyson canister style a couple years ago. I've already broken it once, and the vacuum operated brush doesn't like carpeting.

I don't even think they make it anymore. I think they only have the uprights?

In any event - I'm not impressed with it.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: KK
Mine works fine, I like the looks, and I don't care what I paid for it. Anybody have a problem with me buying it? Didn't think so.

I bet you also buy Bose and Monster Cable.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I love my Dyson. I've been through many vacuums and this is the best one I've had. The only problem with it is its very heavy. My wife makes me carry it up the stairs since she can't do it herself.

As for a vanity purchase, I could give a rat's @ss. No one cares if I have a Dyson or not. Its always in the closet. If I was really vain about a vacuum, I'd have a maid do the housework instead of myself. Its an appliance and a very good one at that.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Just once I'd like to see a Dyson thread where the only people who reply are either asking question or have actually used one.

These threads get filled with all the incompetant people who like to quote that Consumer Reports gave them a bad review so they must suck. Because we all know that if Consumer Reports doesn't like something, it must be worthless.

I've never heard of anyone who has one that thought they didn't do massively better than their old one. I've also never heard from anyone who had bought one and was disappointed so they took it back.

Make a poll with these choices and see.

I Own(ed) one and it kicks @ss.
I Own(ed) one and it was crap
I've never owned one but I think they kick @ss.
I've never owned one but I think they are crap.

If people answer truthfully that second optino would ne next to nothing.

Read through the thread. Of people who state they have one, 13 says it's great, 1 says he's not impressed. You do the math. Try it and return it if it sucks. Or rather if it doesn't suck....

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Selective reading?

Nobody who's coughed up the money for one, is going to admit any misgivings. The question I have, is if they're so good, why don't cleaning companies use them? :confused: Ask someone who vacuums for a living what they use. Their opinion would hold more weight with me, than some fanbois who got sucked into some vacuum hype!

it isn't evident at all that cleaning companies are going to use the vacuums that clean the best... it seems more likely that they'd pick vacuums that can clean well enough for their purposes

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
1. Kirby (durability)
2. Rainbow (air purityand flow)
3. Filter Queen (air purity and flow)
4. Oreck (air purity and flow)
5. Electolux

Vacuuming has little to do about suction, but all to do about air flow. Dead suction accomplishes nothing. Airflow does nothing for you, if it lets everything you extract right back into the air. ;)

BTW, they will all hold up a bowling ball. Dead suction will do that!

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Selective reading?

While I like mine, a lot, I do have some negatives (if you have pets):

1) The belt/clutch assembly is NOT (officially) user replaceable. That said, it has lasted a long time (1yr) this far and as long as you take note of the warning noise it makes when the mechanism is struggling (to clear it out) it should last a lot longer. [I've seen a few clutch kits available online now, and instructions to replace, but not at the stores]. I've had to go in and cut away the pet fur from the roller whenever it has made the noise. Now I just do that as maintenance every other time and I haven't gotten the warning noise in probably 6mo's.

2) The animal attachment gets clogged up over time, and there were no instructions to get into the device to remove fur, etc. I was able to figure it out but it's difficult to get two of the (decorative) pieces to snap back in on re-assembly. I've had to clean it twice now to get it working efficiently again.

3) The extension hose will drag the vacuum around on most surfaces. You have to strategically place the vacuum so it doesn't follow you around, such as always having it at the bottom of the stairs instead of the top (I read about someone who had a problem doing that, not me!).

Really, those are mostly minor things and the power is great, it's not too loud (for a vacuum), etc, I think it was worth the money.

Other negatives posted above, and my thoughts on them:

a1) It is a bit heavy, but, I don't mind it.

a2) And emptying the canister is no problem (no worse than a bag imo). I just take it out to the trash, open the trash can, push the release button. I wouldn't empty it inside, just in case it accidentally opened.

Cruez

Dec 7, 2004
My post was based on what I was told by my brother who was owned one and known a few other people that had the same basic problems as his.

Not just my opinion..