Dyson vacuum: thinking of buying one

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I have read a lot of online reviews and havent found not one bad review about a Dyson. anybody here have one, if so what are your thoughts?

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
I love mine. But if I didn't have four housecats, I never would have spent that kind of money on a vaccuum. Since I do, it's worth every penny I paid for it.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Selective reading?

Nobody who's coughed up the money for one, is going to admit any misgivings. The question I have, is if they're so good, why don't cleaning companies use them? :confused: Ask someone who vacuums for a living what they use. Their opinion would hold more weight with me, than some fanbois who got sucked into some vacuum hype!

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery
Selective reading?

Nobody who's coughed up the money for one, is going to admit any misgivings. The question I have, is if they're so good, why don't cleaning companies use them? :confused: Ask someone who vacuums for a living what they use. Their opinion would hold more weight with me, than some fanbois who got sucked into some vacuum hype!

Because 1% better may not justify replacing their current vaccums. They may also have contracts with current dealers/suppliers. They may have spare parts for their current vaccums already. Many reasons.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Consumer reports has never given them a best buy award. They found cheaper vacuums worked as well as the Dyson.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Thats just daft, commercial cleaners usually use bloody great unwieldy things that wouldn't be ENTIRELY suited to the home, while usually costing an absolute fortune... :p

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its a vanity purchase. it depends on your finances. and yes they have been dissed by consumer reports many times now

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
I have one and it works great. So far, I have not had any issues with it.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Mine works fine, I like the looks, and I don't care what I paid for it. Anybody have a problem with me buying it? Didn't think so.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
ours works great -- strong suction (picks up things our other vacuuum missed)

cons,
*heavy, a bit combursome to carry around sometimes
*dumping out the dirt bin sucks, you really need a big trashcan to dump into, or you'll get dust and dirt all over yourself, and your floor.
*if you have animals, the pet hair will stick in the bin and won't dump out easily.. You'll have to spend an extra minute pulling the top off the bin and shaking it around a bit so that everything falls out.
*lots of plastic pieces which look like they could break easily. ( i think this is the main reason that consumer reports never picks them as a best pick -- to many returns from broken vacuums)

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: dug777

Thats just daft, commercial cleaners usually use bloody great unwieldy things that wouldn't be ENTIRELY suited to the home, while usually costing an absolute fortune... :p
Great unwieldy things? Costing an absolute fortune... :confused:

well, most of the commercial ones i've seen used in schools/at college were bloody great big tow along things...(which they no doubt bought years ago and which are still going strong...)

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
I've sold plenty of Dyson's on ebay, and no one has complained, except for VeRo ;). I use a roomba though.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Here we go again... another year, another month, and another damn Dyson thread. ;)

Anyway, once again I'll say skip the Dyson and buy a Hoover Fusion vaccum from Walmart. $128.

Hell, if you want to end all these threads then just buy both the yellow Dyson from Walmart and the Hoover Fusion sitting right next to it. Take them both home and vacuum 1/2 of the room with the Dyson and the other 1/2 with the Hoover. See which one really cleans better, not which one has the most hype and "prestige" of owning it. Then return the one that doesn't clean as well. Thousands of internet vacuum seeking nerds will thank you. :laugh:

NT4Mike

Oct 9, 1999
Selective reading?

Every cleaning company that I have seen (and yes I admit that I don?t know hundreds of them) have used industrial vacuums that were of metal construction. The Dyson is of course plastic and would probably not lend itself well to the commercial cleaning market. I know that I wouldn't want to throw mine in the back of a van every day of the week.

What I can say for sure is that my wife?s cousin owns a cleaning company and purchased a super-whoopty-doo commercial unit that was developed and approved by NASA, the TSA, and Congress to be super-certified as the thing to use for allergy sufferers and such. Well? after she cleaned my house, I can tell you for a fact that the Dyson did a better job.

My wife and I have owned several different vacuums over the years including several Hoover Windtunnels, and none of them have compared to the Dyson.
So if that labels me as a Fanboi, then so be it. I had the money, I had the need, and it was well worth the investment. Go pick one up and try it for yourself. If you don?t like it then you can come back here and tell everybody what a steaming pile of dung it was, but right now I don?t see you describing your personal experience with this piece of equipment.

Mike

imported_electron

Nov 6, 2005
Dyson is a bagless, and all bagless vacuums suck when it comes time to empty it. I got the Eureka that won consumer reports best buy a couple of years back, and I love it.

First of all it was cheaper than the Dyson ($150)

Secondly the bags and filter replacements are inexpensive compared to the filter for some bagless vacuums. I've seen some filters that were $80 and needed to be replaced often (like every 6mos. or yr.)

And lastly it's very powerful. It may lose suction as the bag fills but it's so powerful I haven't noticed it so I don't think it's worth the extra expense just to say your vacuum doesn' tlose suction as it fills up, but that's just my opinion.

Just looked up the model #, it's the Eureka 4870GZ. Mine is red, but there's a green one that looks the same, model # 4870DT. Don't know if there's any differences between the red and green models other than color. It is kinda heavy though. So if you're feeble and need to carry it upstairs, then it's probably no tthe right vacuum for you. Also the foot pedal is very hard to operate, you really have to stomp on it hard. I still think it's the best price/performance vacuum out there though even with these problems. And would still opt to buy one now if I were in the market for a vacuum.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Go pick one up and try it for yourself.

I "tried" a DC07 at sears for a couple minutes. Whoop-de-shlt. Do I have to buy one and bring it home instead?

I actually purchased Sharp because of its quietness and the fact that I'd seen more than one cleaning company use them. Also seen royal used, but they're too loud, and I'd prefer the bypass type system, since my wife can't be trusted not to vacuum up screws, pebbles and God knows what else.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
I have a dyson. I noticed that you had to empty the cannister every other time we vacummed and before that we put in a new bag in the hoover every six months.

IMO the reason they are not for commercial use is they are designed for getting under furniture that easy and they are not targeting the same type of debris. Offices have rubber bands and paperclips and believe me, commericial vacs are built to withstand that abuse not cat hair.

BoldAsLove

Platinum Member
May 10, 2005
we have one....its a beast...then again we got like the $500 one...I have no idea why we got it...but the thing performs..well