Dylann Roof is a begging bitch.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
He wants mercy, he never showed anyone. WTF?

1631186224657.png

Dylann Roof seeks rehearing on church shooting conviction

Dylann Roof has filed the next step in his federal appeal, challenging a court’s confirmation of his conviction and death sentence for the 2015 racist slayings of nine members of a Black South Carolina congregation.

In a petition filed Wednesday with the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, attorneys for Roof argued that the court’s decision last month to uphold his federal conviction and sentence interpreted too broadly the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution, which authorizes Congress to regulate commerce among the states.
Last month, a three-judge panel of the court unanimously upheld Roof’s conviction and sentence, saying the legal record cannot even capture the “full horror” of what he did. The judges rejected arguments that the young white man should have been ruled incompetent to stand trial in the shootings at Mother Emanuel AME Church in Charleston. Now, Roof wants the full court to consider his appeal.

By accepting the government’s argument that a combination of factors including Roof’s use of the internet to post his views and research the church constituted “interstate commerce,” Roof’s lawyers wrote, the panel’s decision amounted to “an amorphous, unprecedented, and all-encompassing standard for federal Commerce Clause jurisdiction over local crime, effectively nullifying states’ traditional police power in that arena.”
In 2017, Roof became the first person in the U.S. sentenced to death for a federal hate crime. Authorities have said Roof opened fire during the closing prayer of a Bible study at Mother Emanuel, raining down dozens of bullets on those assembled. He was 21 at the time.

In his appeal, Roof’s attorneys had argued that he was wrongly allowed to represent himself during sentencing, a critical phase of his trial. Roof successfully prevented jurors from hearing evidence about his mental health, “under the delusion,” his attorneys argued, that “he would be rescued from prison by white-nationalists — but only, bizarrely, if he kept his mental-impairments out of the public record.”

Roof’s lawyers said his convictions and death sentence should be vacated, or his case should be sent back to court for a “proper competency evaluation.”
The 4th Circuit initially found that the trial judge did not commit an error when he found Roof was competent to stand trial and issued a scathing rebuke of Roof’s crimes.
“No cold record or careful parsing of statutes and precedents can capture the full horror of what Roof did,” the judges wrote. “His crimes qualify him for the harshest penalty that a just society can impose.”

It remains to be seen who exactly would hear the case, should the court grant Roof a full hearing. All of the judges in the 4th Circuit, which covers South Carolina, have recused themselves; one of their own, Judge Jay Richardson, prosecuted Roof’s case as an assistant U.S. attorney. The panel that heard arguments in May and issued August’s ruling was composed of judges from several other appellate circuits.

Along with his request for a full-court hearing, Roof also asked that either U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts designate a panel to consider the rehearing petition or the 4th Circuit’s chief judge designate other judges from within that district to make up such a panel.

After his federal trial, Roof was given nine consecutive life sentences after pleading guilty in 2017 to state murder charges, leaving him to await execution in a federal prison and sparing his victims and their families the burden of a second trial.

Earlier this summer, however, Attorney General Merrick Garland issued a moratorium and halted all federal executions while the Justice Department conducts a review of its execution policies and procedures. The review comes after a historic run of capital punishment at the end of the Trump administration, which carried out 13 executions in six months.

A federal lawsuit also has been filed over the execution protocols — including the risk of pain and suffering associated with the use of pentobarbital, the drug used for lethal injection.

As a candidate, President Joe Biden said he’d work to end federal executions. White House press secretary Jen Psaki said in March that he continues to have “grave concerns” about it.

If unsuccessful in his direct appeal, Roof could file what’s known as a 2255 appeal, or a request that the trial court review the constitutionality of his conviction and sentence. He could also petition the U.S. Supreme Court or seek a presidential pardon.

(Has anyone told him that Trump was never reinstated?)

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
He should have asked Trump for a pardon. He probably would have gotten one for federal charges.

Cry me a fucking river

I believe that to be.

What I wonder is, if the Attorney General does away with federal executions, that's pretty much the same thing as a commutation.

So does he remain in federal custody? Or go back to the state' s prison?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I believe that to be.

What I wonder is, if the Attorney General does away with federal executions, that's pretty much the same thing as a commutation.

So does he remain in federal custody? Or go back to the state' s prison?
We don't need him executed. When he goes back to whatever prison just put him in a wing with a bunch of brothers. They will ensure the rest of his life is miserable.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Everyone appeals their death sentence. He has no chance here. His attorneys say the judge erred in ruling him competent to stand trial. Good luck. Competency standards are pretty low. He has to not understand the nature of the proceedings to be held incompetent to stand trial.

The fact he was dumbfuck enough to think he'd be rescued from jail by fellow white supremacists is his problem. Not the court's. Not ours.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
We don't need him executed. When he goes back to whatever prison just put him in a wing with a bunch of brothers. They will ensure the rest of his life is miserable.

Works for me, not a huge fan of the death penalty. All I can add is that I hope his pain in that situation lasts a long time. Don't off him too fast...

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Everyone appeals their death sentence. He has no chance here. His attorneys say the judge erred in ruling him competent to stand trial. Good luck. Competency standards are pretty low. He has to not understand the nature of the proceedings to be held incompetent to stand trial.

The fact he was dumbfuck enough to think he'd be rescued from jail by fellow white supremacists is his problem. Not the court's. Not ours.

If Ricky Ray Rector was considered mentally fit to stand trial (despite having his entire fontal lobe missing, having given himself a fire-arm-based lobotomy), I don't see how Roof can be considered otherwise.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Racist, inbred, redneck c*nt. Fuck him and his entire family of sister-cousin-uncles that produced him. They are all wastes of good oxygen.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
If Ricky Ray Rector was considered mentally fit to stand trial (despite having his entire fontal lobe missing, having given himself a fire-arm-based lobotomy), I don't see how Roof can be considered otherwise.

If believing stupid things you read on the internet makes you incompetent to stand trial, then basically all the 1/6 insurrectionists would qualify.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
He's not a psychopath. He's seriously broken and warped and violent and hostile and angry. But he's not crazy. So yeah, it makes sense he wants forgiveness.
I think maybe cuz of all the movies and TV shows we've gotten used to the idea of psychos running around all over the place, but the truth is theres just a shitload of miserable assholes in America and many of them are violent and thats just the society we live in. I kinda wish we'd put more time and effort into fixing societies problems instead of cleaning up messes. I think thats a healthier way to live.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Probably didn't realize he was going to get the death penalty when he killed all those people.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Maybe not a popular take here, but I am against the death penalty even for people like Dylan Roof. His attempts to weasel out of his sentence don't change that for me cause he's a shitty person and nothing he's going to do after murdering 9 people is going to somehow be worse than murdering 9 people.

If he stays alive, gets treatment, and one day realizes that he threw his life away... if one day he wakes up and is truly remorseful for the shit that he did, but knows that he will live and die in prison for his crimes, that is a punishment worse than death.

Reactions: dawp

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Maybe not a popular take here, but I am against the death penalty even for people like Dylan Roof. His attempts to weasel out of his sentence don't change that for me cause he's a shitty person and nothing he's going to do after murdering 9 people is going to somehow be worse than murdering 9 people.

If he stays alive, gets treatment, and one day realizes that he threw his life away... if one day he wakes up and is truly remorseful for the shit that he did, but knows that he will live and die in prison for his crimes, that is a punishment worse than death.

Well, he could one-up murdering 9 people by murdering 10.
But yeah, I see what you're getting at it. To really make that work, we would need to restrict any 'romantic' correspondence, absolutely no conjugal visits, and for sure no opportunities for reproduction. His seed must die. His midlife crisis needs to be knowing that he will die in prison without having ever known love. Now that would be a punishment far worse than death.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm surprised you feel that way, being that he isn't brown-skinned, nor an immigrant child.
If Roof were one of those, he'd be telling us about how his crimes were all the fault of the parents or the _blank_ community.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Yeah, fair enough. It's not the case I'd feel motivated to take a stand on, however. Personally, I can see arguments both for and against the death penalty.

One argument for the death penalty, is that there are some crimes where I can't imagine how someone can be reforned and still be able to live with the knowledge of what they did. This is a very bleak thought - that there are things you just can never come back from, that will destroy you as a person.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Well, he could one-up murdering 9 people by murdering 10.
But yeah, I see what you're getting at it. To really make that work, we would need to restrict any 'romantic' correspondence, absolutely no conjugal visits, and for sure no opportunities for reproduction. His seed must die. His midlife crisis needs to be knowing that he will die in prison without having ever known love. Now that would be a punishment far worse than death.

- It would be quite an accomplishment to kill 10 additional people while in a Federal Pen. Would it be worse though, if they're all rapists and murderers too?

I agree wholeheartedly on varying levels of isolation depending on the severity of the crime. We already have Florence Supermax, which is basically the real world equivalent of Arkham Asylum, where prisoners basically live out their lives in a cell with one hour of walking in a circle in the prison yard a day. No conjugal visits for those guys.

Yeah, fair enough. It's not the case I'd feel motivated to take a stand on, however. Personally, I can see arguments both for and against the death penalty.

One argument for the death penalty, is that there are some crimes where I can't imagine how someone can be reforned and still be able to live with the knowledge of what they did. This is a very bleak thought - that there are things you just can never come back from, that will destroy you as a person.

-Right, in a sense I feel life w/o the the possibility of parole can be an even crueler punishment than execution, which is partially a motivating factor for me.

However, I do not believe that the state should have the right to kill its own citizens (especially when they are already in custody and totally defenseless), and the scores of innocent people that have been executed by the state who may have been exonerated given enough time for forensic technology to catch up to the evidence is truly monsterous.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002