Dying Light

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 29, 2004
So, I am almost done with Dying Light. Best game in a long time for me. I'm at the last part of the game but am holding off on the final fight.
I want to level all abilities to level 24. I am currently at level 23 across the board. Some of the weapons that are get unlocked at insane. I think one is a short sword which does 1200 damage and has a 72 agility rating. Might be a 50 agility but still, pretty damn quick and powerful. Some of the side tasks at the end of the game give you a bunch of good stuff. Also, Reis' men will guard the same drop locations in Old Town even though you cleared them once already. So, these locations are recurring. The ground pound attack in closed areas that you enter (hold square button on PS4) is actually useful. Bad guys in those areas don't usually spawn. So pound the ground a few times and profit.

Also, some advice on the game:
Want to build Strength and Survivor sense? Find a courtyard in old town with a lot of bad guys in it and go to town on them. Certain skills can make this an even better strategy since they give you health, strength, etc.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I am far from the end of the game. Finishing up some other titles while I can. There is a lot to do in dying light. Definitely one of those games that didn't need the hype and it turned out great, better than reviews mentioned.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I finished it Tuesday night. The ending...I'm mixed on it. All I'll say about that final fight is: Prepare your platforming skills (lots hopping across short pipes with large gaps of death in between). I'd like to say more and discuss it with people, but since no one else is done, that's not an option, of course.

Now, I'm a little confused on the post-story gameplay. You can go back into the world and complete stuff, but it seems like something is missing. It tells me to go do a running quest with Rocket (the guy in the shack just outside of The Tower), but he's not there, and I completed all of his stuff long ago. The running mission "Run for Your Life," where you do night running in Old Town (which I hadn't felt like doing at the time) is missing on the map as well. The only mission listed is the Volatile-hunting challenge for Bozak.

The best way I can describe my feelings on Dying Light (which I loved, by the way) is that it's got a lot of parallels with Shadow of Mordor, in terms of how the game progresses and is built. Now, I have to decide on something else to play. I was going to give Halo another try online, but it's still broken. I could try Metro again, but it's SO SLOW. There isn't a launch-day Xbox One game I want for a while (I have interest in Xenoverse and Screamride, but probably not until they're $30 or less).

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I took a break from dying light to finish the order. I get too sidetracked with all the side activities.

I'm waiting for the next xbox one exclusive. You could get metal gear solid next month if you need something to play. I still have to finish sunset overdrive, and the rest of my xbox games. Who knows when that will happen, I only buy exclusive titles on xbox and multiplatform on ps4 so Ive got time.

I'm finishing up the order now and trading that in to best buy for $30 towards bloodborne. Not sure if I'll get into bloodborne but it looks good. I'm skipping BF hard line and I'll definitely get MGS the week after that.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I beat Sunset forever ago, probably inside of 2 weeks of release. Mario Party 10 is just over 3 weeks away, but that's also going to live at my sister's for local co-op. I've got Metro: Redux and the Halo 3 and 4 campaigns in TMCC to beat (though I've obviously beaten both Halo campaigns before on the 360), but I'm not sure I feel like playing any of those.

There isn't anything on the One coming soon that I KNOW I want. I might get TESO, since they dropped the sub. PayDay 2, if I don't get TESO, might be a co-op title I pick up (since my PC friends never stepped up to play with me). I really miss baseball, and I have the slightest hope RBI 15 will be worth the low price it's coming at (but I expect nothing).

If I happen to get a job and enough extra money in the near-future, I MIGHT see about a Cowboom PS4 to get The Show, but I doubt it. I really just want that LE bat case. More likely is I finally snag a PS3 for KH 1.5 and 2.5, then I get The Show on there.

Sep 29, 2004
Beat Dying Light Last Night. I got my skill trees maxed and did the end of the game level.

My Thoughts with spoiler tags:
Weapons:
I don't get it. There is absolutely no reason to have powerful weapons later in the game. The highest damage rating you really need is about 700-1000. For the end of the game, you can probably do it with no weapons at all.

End of game:
I actually loved the fact that you had to use your parkor skills to get to the top of the building. That was the challenge behind the end game. And in hindsight, the game is really a parkor game with zombies mixed in more than the other way around. It's probably why I enjoyed it so much without realizing it.

As for the end, I was disappointed in the new fighting mechanic when you fight the "end boss". It was basically cinematic and you had to press certain buttons (hold X, hold O, hold square) or else be killed. I was actually looking forward to an end boss that was maybe twice as hard to kill as a Demolisher (the large guys that charge you and throw chunks of "land" at you). But it was a rather underwhelming conclusion. I'm glad that it was to easy rather than to hard though. I've had the to hard games also and those end games suck.

The good news is that this game's sequel could be awesome. More weapons, more bad guys that actually require better weapons,
better end game
. From looking around the interwebs, it looked like there were going to be crossbows in the game but they were removed. Basically shooting weapons that don't make noise thus don't attract zombies. It was probably right to remove those though as it was counter to the hand on hand mechanics that the game was based upon.

In the end, I thought this game was awesome and one of the best games to come by in a while. Needed more polish and see complaints in spoilers: 9/10.

Last edited:

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Beat Dying Light Last Night. I got my skill trees maxed and did the end of the game level.

My Thoughts with spoiler tags:
Weapons:
I don't get it. There is absolutely no reason to have powerful weapons later in the game. The highest damage rating you really need is about 700-1000. For the end of the game, you can probably do it with no weapons at all.

End of game:
I actually loved the fact that you had to use your parkor skills to get to the top of the building. That was the challenge behind the end game. And in hindsight, the game is really a parkor game with zombies mixed in more than the other way around. It's probably why I enjoyed it so much without realizing it.

As for the end, I was disappointed in the new fighting mechanic when you fight the "end boss". It was basically cinematic and you had to press certain buttons (hold X, hold O, hold square) or else be killed. I was actually looking forward to an end boss that was maybe twice as hard to kill as a Demolisher (the large guys that charge you and throw chunks of "land" at you). But it was a rather underwhelming conclusion. I'm glad that it was to easy rather than to hard though. I've had the to hard games also and those end games suck.

The good news is that this game's sequel could be awesome. More weapons, more bad guys that actually require better weapons,
better end game
. From looking around the interwebs, it looked like there were going to be crossbows in the game but they were removed. Basically shooting weapons that don't make noise thus don't attract zombies. It was probably right to remove those though as it was counter to the hand on hand mechanics that the game was based upon.

In the end, I thought this game was awesome and one of the best games to come by in a while. Needed more polish and see complaints in spoilers: 9/10.

I agree on a lot of this.

Weapons: I agree that the high-level weapons are somewhat useless. However, they DO make fighting the high-end enemies easier. The diminishing returns probably start near 1000 damage (when the common enemies seem to always die in one hit), but there still seems to be a bit of advantage with the highest-level stuff, when fighting the highest-level enemies (
Volatiles, Demolishers, and the rebar-wielding enemies
).

End-Game: I felt that the end was something of a letdown as well, in terms of difficulty. However, the way it played out made some level of sense, given
You were dealing with a one-armed nutbag who didn't receive proper medical attention from when you sliced his arm off. There just isn't much logic in having a difficult enemy in hand-to-hand combat when he's missing an arm, and going with a gunfight would have made the wrap-up difficult

Sequel:
I really don't know how they'd pull this off. Supposedly, the virus was restricted to one area. We allegedly have a near-ready cure, making it somewhat pointless to have a game in another city, unless the potential cure turns out to be a dud. Of course, it was totally stupid how they basically tied up every loose end but the cure. There's no point in staying in Haran regardless, and if there is no working cure (which we don't know, as they didn't let us finish the freaking story), a sequel would probably have to be the exact same game in a different city, and with different characters (since they're not going to let the people in Harran out without a cure, and a cure makes another game mostly pointless).

I think a 9/10 is a fair rating. I might give it a 9.5 myself. The complaints were pretty similar to that of Shadow of Mordor, where you get all of the useful abilities too quickly (
in both games, you're basically without meaningful advancement in the second-half of the game
). Other than the pointless leveling after about 18 or so, the main complaint for me is with the controls. In the latter stages of the game, the dodge mechanics get in the way of the parkour. I'll be doing a running mission (or anything else where I have to move quickly), and trying to move sideways and jump too often meant an unwanted dodge that ruined the event for me.

Sep 29, 2004
I agree on a lot of this.

Weapons: I agree that the high-level weapons are somewhat useless. However, they DO make fighting the high-end enemies easier. The diminishing returns probably start near 1000 damage (when the common enemies seem to always die in one hit), but there still seems to be a bit of advantage with the highest-level stuff, when fighting the highest-level enemies (
Volatiles, Demolishers, and the rebar-wielding enemies
).

End-Game: I felt that the end was something of a letdown as well, in terms of difficulty. However, the way it played out made some level of sense, given
You were dealing with a one-armed nutbag who didn't receive proper medical attention from when you sliced his arm off. There just isn't much logic in having a difficult enemy in hand-to-hand combat when he's missing an arm, and going with a gunfight would have made the wrap-up difficult

Sequel:
I really don't know how they'd pull this off. Supposedly, the virus was restricted to one area. We allegedly have a near-ready cure, making it somewhat pointless to have a game in another city, unless the potential cure turns out to be a dud. Of course, it was totally stupid how they basically tied up every loose end but the cure. There's no point in staying in Haran regardless, and if there is no working cure (which we don't know, as they didn't let us finish the freaking story), a sequel would probably have to be the exact same game in a different city, and with different characters (since they're not going to let the people in Harran out without a cure, and a cure makes another game mostly pointless).

I think a 9/10 is a fair rating. I might give it a 9.5 myself. The complaints were pretty similar to that of Shadow of Mordor, where you get all of the useful abilities too quickly (
in both games, you're basically without meaningful advancement in the second-half of the game
). Other than the pointless leveling after about 18 or so, the main complaint for me is with the controls. In the latter stages of the game, the dodge mechanics get in the way of the parkour. I'll be doing a running mission (or anything else where I have to move quickly), and trying to move sideways and jump too often meant an unwanted dodge that ruined the event for me.

Ya, I did make an insane weapon
and took a demolisher out with one toxic grenade and one slice (2200+ damage)

I went into the ending expecting
the one armed man having a new bad ass zombie much how we were introduced to the Demolisher in his arena. I was expecting something along those lines. Relative to my expectation, I thought it was way too easy.

The dodge mechanics being tied to the jump button pissed me off to. Of, I also ran into a clipping issue where I actually was "floating" over an area of duct work. A co-worker had the same issue elsewhere. Not sure how X testers would never have run into this. Anyway, I was in duct work and used my grapple and I think the game got confused because I was standing in duct work in a taller section. Then grappled into a short section. I think post grapple, I was still standing but in a location that I can't stand and the game engine screwed up. So close to a 9.5/10 or 10/10 for me but they didn't get there.

As for a sequel
the protagonist still has the cure. It could be a dud. It could work but a year alter people develop what is a worser version of zombieism. Kinda like how shingles are tied to chicken pox. This could be in a whole new city that is slightly bigger. Or hell, go Deliverance on us and do it in the woods! Or maybe a rural town as "city A" and the woods as "city B". Parkor through the trees! Have one home base that is a tree house. Maybe natural caves can be made into safe houses?
Of ya, the city size is perfect. Don't go all GTA on us!

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, when I started up the game today, the update came with that video of upcoming content. It seemed like there was some kind of game mode taking place in an arena, and then I saw the driving. Sadly, Techland seems to suffer from the same lack of long-term issues a lot of developers have.

I really like the game, and think it's one of the best I've played in a long time. However, I'm done with it. It's worth $36.30 at Best Buy right now, and so I intend to put that towards Mario Party 10. I'm going to wipe up a couple of last-minute Achievements. After that, the game's off to get traded in, and I'll find a new game. Meanwhile, they'll put out that Season Pass content, and I'll have forgotten about it as I move on to the rest of the 2015 releases, meaning I'll almost certainly not experience the Season Pass content--unless there's a cheap, DLC-inclusive version released later.

Season Passes just give me nothing to look forward to. I don't feel like giving up the $30-45 in trade credit so I can let the game sit on a shelf while I shell out $20 for them to take a year to get the content out. It's why I missed out on the Sunset Overdrive and Shadow of Mordor DLC as well (is all of that even out, or are those games still getting content?). It's just a crappy way for gaming to go now. I'd rather games as a whole go to $65-70, then have them include all of the content at launch.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I never buy any dlc and I'm not done with it yet so I will most likely keep it. I already sold the order for $30 and I'll probably pick up bloodborne in 2 weeks when it releases.

Sep 29, 2004
I'd rather games as a whole go to $65-70, then have them include all of the content at launch.

THIS ONE HUNDRED FUCKING TIMES.

I' also pissed off at the redeem codes that come in box. I don't know but can people use those if they buy the game off me? If not, that shit has to stop also.

can we start a movement somehow? How about a JustGiveMeTHeGame user group on Facebook?

Sep 29, 2004
Interesting. I watched the video. This business model 100%!

What they are doing is giving you a reason not to trade it in and flood the market with used games. All new content is free! They give us a reason to hold onto it and those that want to buy it have to buy it new in box. Even if the price drops over time, they get the money instead of resellers.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
THIS ONE HUNDRED FUCKING TIMES.

I' also pissed off at the redeem codes that come in box. I don't know but can people use those if they buy the game off me? If not, that shit has to stop also.

can we start a movement somehow? How about a JustGiveMeTHeGame user group on Facebook?
Any codes you use will not be able to be sued when you resell the game. I usually take that out if I'm selling or trade in. This option though would raise price of games and I would not like that since I never use the dlc but an option to pay more upfront and have it is nice.

Many games that come out have this option but the dlc doesn't come until later anyway.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I think it would be worth it. Consider Best Buy's GCU--a game gets maybe 15-20% more content for an extra $4-8? I'd be all for that. Waiting 6 months while the disc sits and gathers dust because of a $20 Season Pass? I don't want that.

I'm sure what I'll end up doing is re-purchasing Dying Light from Family video for $20 later in the year, when the Season Pass is 15-25% off on LIVE or something, or I'll pick up some $40 GotY bundle during Black Friday.

Madia

May 2, 2006
The DLC with drivable vehicles is now official. No release date though:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/29/9066729/dying-light-the-following-vehicles

I picked up the game a while back when the price dropped and thought it was a decent not great game. It had some good elements (most notably the parkour/climbing) but seemed like dead island and far cry 3 had a child. It probably sold well enough for a sequel and I'll be interesting to see if they can improve upon it to deliver something excellent or it'll just end being another above average game.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I picked this game up and can't get into it. If anyone wants this cheap on xbone let me know.

I played it for maybe 4 hours. It gives me motion sickness from the camera bouncing around

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Been playing this for a week now. Pleasantly surprised. Overall a really fun game.

My only main complaint is that they punish death by removing experience--experience that you get by completing missions, so it seems to me you could do a side mission, work hard for it, then get that experience trashed by dying a few times in a row. And lest you say "stop dying", on the pit fight in rais's area for example you're probably going to die 5-8 times (at least I did, because I didn't see online how to do it better and didn't want to). Each death, more experience taken.

I wouldn't say the experience theft is egregious, as I'm still leveling up, but it's a bit annoying. Although dealing with death in all games has trade-offs.

I like how they actually make it so the bulk of the game can be avoided at night if so desired. Overall it's quite fun, like a AAA version of state of decay and I recommend it to survival zombie fans.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I loved the game. Honestly, I thought that it was too easy, except for the very end. The pit fight wasn't bad, IMO. You're pretty fast to dodge the guy (Destroyer?), allowing you to dodge him with ease. Just use the concrete columns to get him stunned and the shipping containers to get away from him, and it's not bad. I died maybe 2 or 3 times myself, I think.

The experience thing, I don't think it's bad at all. You honestly level up really quickly in that game, and that was as someone who never played around at night (where killing the Volatiles is worth a crapload of XP).

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
I loved the game. Honestly, I thought that it was too easy, except for the very end. The pit fight wasn't bad, IMO. You're pretty fast to dodge the guy (Destroyer?), allowing you to dodge him with ease. Just use the concrete columns to get him stunned and the shipping containers to get away from him, and it's not bad. I died maybe 2 or 3 times myself, I think.

The experience thing, I don't think it's bad at all. You honestly level up really quickly in that game, and that was as someone who never played around at night (where killing the Volatiles is worth a crapload of XP).
It was all the damn runners that just nailed me down in the pit.

I also thought the game was overall easy but also I just finished it and had a lot of fun. I think that's because it wasn't too hard that it pissed me off. I did by the end have no fear running around at night (because grapple is awesome).

Shotgun in the game is amazingly worthless.

I didn't upgrade any of my weapons nor need to.

Overall a really good game, will definitely go for a sequel. I think this game was underrated overall. As the top review in metacritic says they stepped up a genre that had gone stale (and zombies sure as hell have).

Voice acting for protagonist was superb. Game wasn't perfect, but it was just fun, and consistently so, and consistently interesting as well.